The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
TheDave
Sauced...

Default NFL.com Mock Draft 1.0

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

1. Rams Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska... Uncertainty at the quarterback position will force the Rams to consider Sam Bradford, but Suh is too talented to pass up.

2. Lions Russell Okung OT Oklahoma St.... The Lions desperately need a franchise-caliber offensive tackle to protect Matthew Stafford's blindside.

3. Buccaneers Gerald McCoy* DT Oklahoma... The Bucs haven't had a dominating interior player since Warren Sapp manned the middle.

4. Redskins Trent Williams OT Oklahoma... Chris Samuels' injury makes acquiring a top tackle a priority, and Williams' ability to play on either side makes him an intriguing prospect.

5. Chiefs Derrick Morgan* DE/LB Georgia Tech... A legitimate pass rusher on the edge would greatly improve a pass rush that ranked 31st in the league with just 22 sacks.

6. Seahawks Carlos Dunlap* DE Florida... Pete Carroll's defensive background will compel him to grab an explosive edge rusher to lead the Seahawks' resurgence.

7. Browns Anthony Davis* OT Rutgers... Mike Holmgren immediately looks to upgrade the team's offense by nabbing an athletic tackle to pair with Pro Bowler Joe Thomas.

8. Raiders Jason Pierre-Paul* DE South Fla.... Al Davis' infatuation with speed and athleticism makes Pierre-Paul the ideal choice for the Silver and Black.

9. Bills Bruce Campbell* OT Maryland... The Bills are in desperate need of a franchise QB, but their offensive line woes would make it tough for any signal-caller to survive or thrive in the pocket.

10. Jaguars Brian Price* DT UCLA... Jack Del Rio needs a bed rock in the middle to help his defense return to the ranks of the elite.

11. Broncos Rolando McClain* LB Alabama... A rugged interior defender in the center of the Broncos' 3-4 would allow D.J. Williams to act as a playmaker.

12. Dolphins Sergio Kindle LB Texas... Joey Porter and Jason Taylor are at the end of their careers, so finding an athletic edge rusher is paramount.

13. 49ers Eric Berry S Tennessee... The 49ers' emerging defense needs a ball hawk like Berry in the middle of the field to ascend to the next level.

14. Seahawks Charles Brown OT USC... A QB like Jimmy Clausen or Sam Bradford would be intriguing choices here, but Seattle's injuries along the O-line will makes Pete Carroll's former player a safe pick.

15. Giants Brandon Spikes LB Florida... The loss of Antonio Pierce robbed the Giants of a leader in the middle, and contributed to the defense's woeful finish.

16. 49ers Joe Haden* CB Florida... Mike Singletary fortifies the defense by adding another playmaker to the secondary.

17. Titans Everson Griffen* DE USC... The Titans must replace aging pieces on the edge (Javon Kearse and Kyle Vanden Bosch), and Griffen flashes the potential to be a double-digit sack artist.

18. Steelers Patrick Robinson CB Florida St.... The Steelers' suspect secondary repeatedly cost them down the stretch, so Mike Tomlin shores up one side of the field.

19. Falcons Navorro Bowman* LB Penn St.... Mike Smith needs a playmaker at the weakside linebacker spot, and Bowman's athleticism fits the bill.

20. Texans Earl Thomas* S Texas... The former Longhorn would give the Texans' secondary a serious jolt with his speed and range in the middle.

21. Bengals Dez Bryant* WR Oklahoma St.... Marvin Lewis would love to add a talent like Bryant to his offense to alleviate the pressure on Carson Palmer and Chad Ochocinco.

22. Patriots Ricky Sapp LB Clemson... Sapp's presence should bolster a pass rush that was virtually non-existent this season.

23. Packers Jahvid Best* RB California... The best runner in the draft falls into Packers' lap, and his talent is too enticing for Mike McCarthy to bypass despite a pressing need at tackle.

24. Eagles Taylor Mays S USC... Andy Reid underestimated the impact of losing Brian Dawkins in the back end, so he nabs Mays to become the new anchor of the secondary.

25. Ravens Arrelious Benn* WR Illinois... The Ravens' passing game needs a playmaker to help Joe Flacco continue his development as the franchise quarterback.

26. Cardinals Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma... Ken Whisenhunt opts for Bradford over Matt Leinart as Kurt Warner's eventual replacement.

27. Cowboys Bryan Bulaga* OT Iowa... Flozell Adams' declining skills make it necessary for Jerry Jones to find a replacement at left tackle.

28. Chargers C.J. Spiller RB Clemson The Chargers officially announce the end of the L.T era with the arrival of the ultra-explosive Spiller.

29. Jets Damian Williams* WR USC... Rex Ryan hopes that Williams quickly renews his chemistry with Mark Sanchez to give the Jets a lethal passing combination.

30. Vikings Terrence Cody DT Alabama... The Vikings add Cody to their defensive line rotation as a possible replacement for 37-year-old Pat Williams.

31. Saints Selvish Capers OT West Virginia... The Saints would love to upgrade their linebacker corps with a talented playmaker, but Capers fills a pressing need along the offensive line.

32. Colts Jared Odrick DT Penn State... The hardworking Odrick is an ideal fit as an interior player in the Colts' scheme, and his presence will help shore up the team's woes against the run.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Every mock I have seen has us losing that coin flip to the Jaguars.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
TheDave
Sauced...

I'm shocked to see Bradford @ 26 and Clausen falling out of the 1st... just can't see that happening.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I disagree with the concept of taking a top 15 talent solely so he can free up DJ...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Wow I see Eric Berry going about 10 spots higher than that.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Wow I see Eric Berry going about 10 spots higher than that.
Yeah, ****, we better take him if he's on the board.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Why does it have the Chargers taking another Speed back? I see Spiller being a stud, but it makes no sense for SD at this point.

Anyone know when the Idaho G is supposed to go?

If we trade marshall for a late first and snag Baluga and the Idaho guard, we could make our Oline awesomely powerful for years to come, all we would need is a C then, which they can usually be found pretty late (Kenny Alfred will be a beast in the pros for one)

Last edited by Doggcow; 01-21-2010 at 10:17 AM..
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Why does it have the Chargers taking another Speed back? I see Spiller being a stud, but it makes no sense for SD at this point.
The success Chris Johnson has had is going to make everyone over-value speed backs at least a little. Happens every year at some position when one guy with what appears to be a specialized skill set just lights it up. Everyone will be tripping over themselves to find the next "insert name here".
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Haden going 16th? Doubt the Giants pass on him if he is there!
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
I'm shocked to see Bradford @ 26 and Clausen falling out of the 1st... just can't see that happening.
Right.... If for any reason Bradford drops down to us, I would hope we would pull the trigger.....
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
The success Chris Johnson has had is going to make everyone over-value speed backs at least a little. Happens every year at some position when one guy with what appears to be a specialized skill set just lights it up. Everyone will be tripping over themselves to find the next "insert name here".
not to mention I won't be surprised to see LT and Sproles not in a Chargers uni next season
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

When was the last time a QB wasn't taken in the top 10, let alone top 15?
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #13
randomtask
Thomas is my hero.

Like a complete unknown

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Walton

Is it just me, or are there nothing but lineman in the top 10?

I know that this draft is very deep in the trenches, but come on.
randomtask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #14
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward63 View Post
When was the last time a QB wasn't taken in the top 10, let alone top 15?
Very rarely happens, but it should happen more. How many times do you think, looking back, teams that selected one wish they didn't? I'll bet that if you re-wrote half the drafts with the benefit of hindsight, a lot of drafts would go by without any QBs being selected in the top 10.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joel Dresseen

A few things jumped out at me:

-Every mock I see has up losing the coin flip. WTF?

-Berry will both be top 5.

-Haden will probably be top 10.

-Is there any doubt Oakland takes Bryant or Spiller?
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Hmm..This Mock Draft is pretty Crappy iMo, even though I like who we take. Doesn't seem realistic to see Eric Berry fall, and Clausen not even taken in the first?!! yeah right.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:33 AM   #17
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinal11 View Post
A few things jumped out at me:

-Every mock I see has up losing the coin flip. WTF?

-Berry will both be top 5.

-Haden will probably be top 10.

-Is there any doubt Oakland takes Bryant or Spiller?
I dunno, Pierre-Paul nicely fits into their workout warrior hard-on MO. Him, and Carlos Dunlap too.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #18
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

I get depressed seeing Seattle with that 14th overall pick. I’d trade Alphonso Smith for that in a second.

Also…

13. 49ers Eric Berry S Tennessee... The 49ers' emerging defense needs a ball hawk like Berry in the middle of the field to ascend to the next level.

How the **** does he drop to 13th. This kid is Ed Reed 2.0. The Bronco should take him if he drops to them in a heartbeat… even with Champ getting older (and more appealing as a FS) and McBath doing solid there.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #19
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

William Eldridge (Bucky) Brooks, Jr. is a sportswriter covering the National Football League for Sports Illustrated[1] and a former professional football player. He played for 5 NFL teams in a 5 year career, primarily as a kick returner.

Bucky Brooks is a frequent contributor to the NFL Networks "NFL Top 10" series and fantasy football shows. He also presents the "Drive of the Week" segment on the same channel.

---------

It's Bucky Brooks mock draft...nuff said
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #20
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think this guy is a 49ers fan. He has them taking Berry and Haden both. Dream on, brother.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #21
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

The Loser's Curse:

the NFL draft is supposed to even things out by giving the best
college players to the worst pro teams. Two professors, Cade
Massey and Richard H. Thaler, suspect that bidders at the
annual draft fall prey to a variety of irrationalities, including
the common phenomenon at auctions wherein the top bidder overpays:
“The Winner’s Curse.” After all, in any given season over his first five
years, a first-round draft pick is almost as likely to not start a single game
(8 percent) or fail out of the league (8 percent) as he is to go to the Pro
Bowl (9 percent).

What Massey and Thaler found was that, in terms of performance (games started, Pro Bowl selections, etc.) per dollar, the top draft pick is actually the worst choice in the first round. Because the cost of players falls off far more quickly than the average performance in the draft, teams are better off trading down to late in the first or even into the second round, where they can get more players cheaper who, taken together, will contribute more performance. The figure above is an approximation of how the cost of players (compensation) compares with the value of their performance. By looking at what veteran players earn on the free market (allowing for free agency), Massey and Thaler were able to establish the market price

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200605/football-sidebar

Denver first rounders:
Year Round Pick Overall NAME Position School
2009 1 12 12 Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia
2009 1 18 18 Robert Ayers LB Tennessee
2008 1 12 12 Ryan Clady OT Boise State
2007 1 17 17 Jarvis Moss DE Florida
2006 1 11 11 Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt
2004 1 17 17 D.J. Williams OLB Miami
2003 1 20 20 George Foster OT Georgia
2002 1 19 19 Ashley Lelie WR Hawaii
2001 1 24 24 Willie Middlebrooks DB Minnesota
2000 1 15 15 Deltha O'Neal DB California
1999 1 31 31 Al Wilson LB Tennessee
1998 1 30 30 Marcus Nash WR Tennessee
1997 1 28 28 Trevor Pryce DE Clemson
1996 1 15 15 John Mobley LB Kutztown (PA)
1993 1 11 11 Dan Williams DE Toledo
1992 1 25 25 Tommy Maddox QB UCLA
1991 1 4 4 Mike Croel LB Nebraska
1989 1 20 20 Steve Atwater DB Arkansas
1988 1 26 26 Ted Gregory DT Syracuse
1987 1 27 27 Ricky Nattiel WR Florida
1985 1 26 26 Steve Sewell RB Oklahoma
1983 1 4 4 Chris Hinton OT Northwestern
1982 1 21 21 Gerald Willhite RB San Jose State
1981 1 15 15 Dennis Smith DB Southern Cal
1979 1 22 22 Kelvin Clark OT Nebraska
1978 1 27 27 Don Latimer DT Miami
1977 1 18 18 Steve Schindler G Boston College
1976 1 15 15 Tom Glassic G Virginia
1975 1 17 17 Louie Wright DB San Jose State
1974 1 14 14 Randy Gradishar LB Ohio State
1973 1 9 9 Otis Armstrong RB Purdue
1972 1 5 5 Riley Odoms TE Houston
1971 1 12 12 Marv Montgomery OT Southern Cal
1970 1 11 11 Bobby Anderson RB Colorado
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #22
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinjkrush View Post
The Loser's Curse:

the NFL draft is supposed to even things out by giving the best
college players to the worst pro teams. Two professors, Cade
Massey and Richard H. Thaler, suspect that bidders at the
annual draft fall prey to a variety of irrationalities, including
the common phenomenon at auctions wherein the top bidder overpays:
“The Winner’s Curse.” After all, in any given season over his first five
years, a first-round draft pick is almost as likely to not start a single game
(8 percent) or fail out of the league (8 percent) as he is to go to the Pro
Bowl (9 percent).

What Massey and Thaler found was that, in terms of performance (games started, Pro Bowl selections, etc.) per dollar, the top draft pick is actually the worst choice in the first round. Because the cost of players falls off far more quickly than the average performance in the draft, teams are better off trading down to late in the first or even into the second round, where they can get more players cheaper who, taken together, will contribute more performance. The figure above is an approximation of how the cost of players (compensation) compares with the value of their performance. By looking at what veteran players earn on the free market (allowing for free agency), Massey and Thaler were able to establish the market price

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200605/football-sidebar
I ****ing love math.