The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 03:29 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Krieger: Broncos coach McDaniels can do it all, or at least he's trying

Krieger: Broncos coach McDaniels can do it all, or at least he's trying

By Dave Krieger
Denver Post Columnist

Posted: 01/21/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

In retrospect, as soon as Josh McDaniels explained in his season-ending news conference that run blitzing is "never a good formula," we should have known Mike Nolan was gone.

Nolan's aggressive mind-set is no secret in the NFL. When it was working for the Broncos early in the season, nobody seemed to mind. When it started working against them as the season wore on, people including, apparently, Nolan's boss started to mind.

Considering the defensive talent he inherited, especially up front, some of us thought it was amazing Nolan's smoke and mirrors worked as long as they did. Evidently, McDaniels was not among us.

In any case, an odd pattern seems to be emerging. When McDaniels arrived a year ago, the Broncos' strength was their offense. Almost immediately, he began to dismantle it by trading the quarterback. By almost every statistical measure, the offense McDaniels found was better than the one he created.

A year later, the team's strength is the defense, which improved from 29th in the NFL a year ago to seventh this season. So, as soon as the season is over, McDaniels and the defensive coordinator mutually agree to put 2,000 miles between them.

Trying to understand why this doesn't look as odd from the inside as it does from out here, I put in a call to Broncos chief operating officer Joe Ellis, owner Pat Bowlen's right-hand man. I asked if they are dismantling their most effective unit each year on purpose. I wondered if this is what Bowlen had in mind when he hired McDaniels a year ago.

"I would just tell you this that Pat supports what Josh has done 100 percent," Ellis said.

"And while some of it may appear to have been difficult and a change in philosophy and a change in how this team is trying to operate, what Josh's philosophy is which is to bring in tough, smart players that are accountable to their teammates, their coaches, their head coach, their organization, the owner and their fans all of that Pat believes in to the fullest extent."

As do a lot of the players, Ellis said.

In light of the Nolan departure, I asked how this is any different from the Mike Shanahan days. Like Shanahan, McDaniels has final say over personnel, runs the offense, calls the plays and now apparently intends to run the defense too. General manager Brian Xanders might as well be in the witness protection program. Wasn't Bowlen trying to get away from this concentration of power when he fired Shanahan?

"Pat has put Josh and Brian collectively in the position of running the football program for us," Ellis said. "And the decisions that have been made are not decisions that are made in isolation. Pat is informed. If Pat's not here, I am informed on his behalf.

"I mean, there's direct communication ongoing on a daily basis between Josh, myself and Pat, between Brian, myself and Pat, on all issues related to the team. But the voice you hear, and this is the way Pat wanted it, is the guy that's running the football program for him, and that's Josh."

I may have pointed out that in the space of 30 seconds he had gone from Josh and Brian running the football program to just Josh.

"Josh and Brian are speaking to Pat, and I'm involved in a lot of that as well, on all of the issues that come up, and they speak to him together," Ellis said. "But then Josh is the voice that relays what they collectively or we collectively feel is the best way to let the information out to the public. You can agree or disagree as to whether multiple voices should be heard."

Actually, the issue I was getting at isn't so much who's talking. It's who's deciding. A year ago, there was a lot of sentiment that Shanahan simply had too much on his plate, that there weren't enough hours in the day for one man to be head coach, de facto offensive coordinator and de facto GM and do all three jobs well.

Like McDaniels, Shanahan had personnel people working with him, sometimes even one with the GM title, but the Broncos' erratic drafts suggested that was not necessarily the best model. Evidently, Bowlen didn't feel that way because he has essentially replicated that structure for McDaniels.

McDaniels runs the offense. He is taking charge of the defense. He will run the draft. He will make the trades. It is Shanny Redux with one major revision: McDaniels keeps the boss in the loop. Give him this: It's a pretty smart revision.

Like Shanahan, he will ultimately be judged on the results. If he wins enough games, his tactics will be all good. That's the Bill Belichick credo. McDaniels is counting on it.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14234589
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2010, 03:34 AM   #2
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Brian... who's Brian? I've never heard or seen anybody by that name before in our front office.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:39 AM   #3
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Xanders our GM, did you read the article?
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

"Mutually agreed to put 2000 miles between each other."

My roflcopter. Let me show you it.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Almost immediately, he began to dismantle it by trading the quarterback.

Stopped reading right there.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:56 AM   #6
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I have said this for a while now. No one is successful in the NFL with the type of power structure we have. There is not a single good team that has a head coach do everything, including call plays on one side of the ball. I don't get how they expect to win by doing everything opposite of what winning organizations do. Even the Pats don't give this much power to their HOF coach.

Anyways, it isn't like I am expecting much at this point. We just let Nolan walk. The guy that was in charge of the one part of the team which actually improved last season. Brilliant move. Not that it matters since it was mutual and he already had decided he doesn't want to work with McD.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:57 AM   #7
jhat01
Ring of Famer

Knuckle Dragging Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post

Me too..it's laughable.
jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:58 AM   #8
Merlin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post

Yeah, McD wanting to offer a first to NE for Cassel was not a precursor to trading the QB you are right. Furthermore, creating a toxic environment is not an attempt to encourage an immature QB to give the wrong reaction and create tension leading to a trade, you are right. Cutler was immature, but it is the HC's job to manage ego's, not to impose his own, especially when he has proven absolutely nothing as a HC. If the HC wanted Cutler, he would have recognized that he is a young man that still needs to grow, like virtually every frigging star athlete his age (and yes, he was a star athlete, thus why many NFL GMs thought he was worth to 1st round draft choices). But our HC is still too immature, and his mangina must not be questioned, regardless of its actions.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:59 AM   #9
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Hey, Pat Bowlen is informed...

Good to know...

No word yet on whether he's accountable...
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #10
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Yeah, McD wanting to offer a first to NE for Cassel was not a precursor to trading the QB you are right. Furthermore, creating a toxic environment is not an attempt to encourage an immature QB to give the wrong reaction and create tension leading to a trade, you are right. Cutler was immature, but it is the HC's job to manage ego's, not to impose his own, especially when he has proven absolutely nothing as a HC. If the HC wanted Cutler, he would have recognized that he is a young man that still needs to grow, like virtually every frigging star athlete his age (and yes, he was a star athlete, thus why many NFL GMs thought he was worth to 1st round draft choices). But our HC is still too immature, and his mangina must not be questioned, regardless of its actions.
Let's not be rational now. That makes you a bad fan. The fan police will be here any second to tell you as much.

You need to realize McDaniels is better than the Broncos. Question him and you aren't a Broncos fan. He is so smart that he hires a d coordinator without knowing his scheme. He hired a d coordinator that ran a system he doesn't like. It doesn't matter that he has been in the league forever and always done the same thing. It shows how detail oriented and smart Josh is. Then, when he finally figured out what his defense, that he is in charge of, was doing, he fired the coordinator. The coordinator that turned us from 30th to 7th. What a horrible job that d coordinator was doing!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:13 AM   #11
jhat01
Ring of Famer

Knuckle Dragging Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam

He offered a first for Cassel? I never heard that.
jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:18 AM   #12
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhat01 View Post
I don't think that ever came out. Just replace that with "got in trade talks" and his post is spot on.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #13
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
It is adorable when people think they know what went on behind closed doors.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:46 AM   #14
Merlin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhat01 View Post
According to a discussion between Peter King and McD

"McDaniels did pursue a deal with New England on the first day of free agency..."I think we were too late to the dance,'' he said, meaning the Chiefs had already made the deal with New England...Denver would have given more, likely a first-round pick, but Patriots coach Bill Belichick had his deal done with the Chiefs."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ion/index.html
Old 01-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #15
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
According to a discussion between Peter King and McD

"McDaniels did pursue a deal with New England on the first day of free agency..."I think we were too late to the dance,'' he said, meaning the Chiefs had already made the deal with New England...Denver would have given more, likely a first-round pick, but Patriots coach Bill Belichick had his deal done with the Chiefs."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ion/index.html
And yet Belichick denied that there was ever another deal offered on the table.

Weird.

But what I really love is Peter King explaining for us what Josh McDaniels meant with that. LOVE it.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #16
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Umm, McDaniels made sure that all played out in the media. It is one of the many things he does wrong. What closed doors are you talking about?
Old 01-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #17
Merlin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Is adorable when all blind followers can do is parrot without an inkling of independent thought because apparently they are not aware of actual substantive reading outside the Mane.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #18
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Krieger: Broncos coach McDaniels can do it all, or at least he's trying

By Dave Krieger
Denver Post Columnist

Posted: 01/21/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

In retrospect, as soon as Josh McDaniels explained in his season-ending news conference that run blitzing is "never a good formula," we should have known Mike Nolan was gone.

Nolan's aggressive mind-set is no secret in the NFL. When it was working for the Broncos early in the season, nobody seemed to mind. When it started working against them as the season wore on, people including, apparently, Nolan's boss started to mind.
Wait... I thought Nolan was the passive one and McDaniels was the agressive Blitz happy one.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:51 AM   #19
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Weird.

But what I really love is Peter King explaining for us what Josh McDaniels meant with that. LOVE it.
Hmmmm, imagine that. A coach that doesn't talk about what goes on behind closed doors. I wonder if that coach is more successful than ours...
Old 01-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #20
Merlin
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Weird.
But McD did not...weird. Is about time you take some reading comprehension, you seem to miss the core argument far too often.

Learn to differentiate between deal on the table, and "McDaniels did pursue a deal with New England on the first day of free agency..."I think we were too late to the dance,''

Nice try though.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:55 AM   #21
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Is adorable when all blind followers can do is parrot without an inkling of independent thought because apparently they are not aware of actual substantive reading outside the Mane.
A guy quotes Peter King and then complains about the downfall of substantive reading outside the Mane?

Now THAT is funny.

By the way, see my second comment above. I read that Belichick said there was never a second offer -- early, late, or otherwise -- from any other team for Cassel. Perhaps you should do some outside reading.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:55 AM   #22
Merlin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Wait... I thought Nolan was the passive one and McDaniels was the agressive Blitz happy one.
Please delete this post, it is counter the dogma McD lovers are attempting to proselytize.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #23
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
blah, blah, blah
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #24
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
But McD did not...weird. Is about time you take some reading comprehension, you seem to miss the core argument far too often.

Learn to differentiate between deal on the table, and "McDaniels did pursue a deal with New England on the first day of free agency..."I think we were too late to the dance,''

Nice try though.
First day of free agency...

Yet he was too late...

And Belichick says there was NEVER. ANOTHER. DEAL. EVER.

Reading comprehension, indeed.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #25
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Some people here said that enough....I was almost convinced it must be true.

I am pretty sure if you post the same thing often enough on the Mane....it becomes fact.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote