The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default Bodyweight Exercises

I've found that these are alot better bang for your buck than the gym. I've been working every other day on sets of pushups, pullups, chinups, squats and planks and I like what I'm seeing so far. Going to get into burpees pretty soon.

Anyone else prefer bodyweight stuff?

Go Canes!

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 01-21-2010 at 12:46 AM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I had this routine that was all body weight exercises. It was based on the workouts that the actors in the movie 300 used. They used weights in their program, but they used a lot of body weight exercises. The routine was doing different exercises with a very limited rest period. My rest period was only 15 seconds. I would do pull ups, then one leg squats, then push ups, then lunges, then sit ups, then hanging knee raises, and then box jumps. After I did a set I'd take a minute break and then start over. I'd do three sets and it was really tough. My body would be exhausted but I'd have to keep going. I'd do that workout three times a week and I'd run three times a week.

As far as bang for your buck, I totally agree, because that program was free. I'd go to a park in the mornings and I'd use the back of the baseball bleachers for a pull up bar. For the box jumps I'd jump on the bleachers.

It also felt really rewarding. It was kind of funny, but remember in Rocky 4, when the Russia was doing his workouts in a state of the art gym while Rocky was out in the snow and in the woods toughing it out? That's kind of how I felt. Well, without the snow lol. It just felt like I was doing something tougher. It's not cold in LA, but in the winter, early in the morning it's pretty cold and I was out there with my shirt off knocking out reps. I'd see a lot of the same people who did their workouts in the morning at the park and they seemed impressed with what I was doing. Especially when I did pull ups. I had built up to sets of 20. A lot of people who were working out had trainers, and they didn't seem to be doing anything hard (a lot of them looked like soccer moms who had money to burn on a trainer, but didn't really want to do much training.) Every now and then some guys would walk up to me and ask me about my workout program.

I did that for a few months before I went back to weights. Even with weights I like to cut costs. I've been working with just a weight bench and adjustable dumbbells, which I can put up to 70 lbs on each of them. I recently bought a pull up bar that goes in the doorway. All that cost me less than $200 and I don't have to pay monthly fees. There is no excuse for me to skip a workout. I don't have to go anywhere or wait in lines. Working out at the park was similar. I'd drop my son off at school and the park was on the way home, so there was no reason to miss a workout. And I wouldn't have to wait in line. The workout took at the park took 30 minutes total (including warm up time).
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

they are ok for awhile, but eventually resistance needs to be added in some form or you will stop making gains on anything but muscular endurance. if thats your goal, good, but if your goal is getting bigger or stronger, you need additional weight added in whatever form you do it.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Does this include pounding the meat? If so, Bobo has got to be 100 pounds by now.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
they are ok for awhile, but eventually resistance needs to be added in some form or you will stop making gains on anything but muscular endurance. if thats your goal, good, but if your goal is getting bigger or stronger, you need additional weight added in whatever form you do it.
I agree. Resistance can be added by doing slower reps, but at some point it's better to hit the free weights. I did my body weight program for about three months before switching back.

Now, if a person just wants to be in good shape, but not really trying to look like a body builder or get all big, then I'd say that body weight workouts are just fine.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in McLA View Post
I agree. Resistance can be added by doing slower reps, but at some point it's better to hit the free weights. I did my body weight program for about three months before switching back.

Now, if a person just wants to be in good shape, but not really trying to look like a body builder or get all big, then I'd say that body weight workouts are just fine.
slower reps isnt extra resistance its just doing slower reps, theyll burn more. but yea to get in better shape you dont need weights, they certainly help and are a lot more fun though
Old 01-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I've found that these are alot better bang for your buck than the gym. I've been working every other day on sets of pushups, pullups, chinups, squats and planks and I like what I'm seeing so far. Going to get into burpees pretty soon.

Anyone else prefer bodyweight stuff?
Uggghhh, burpees. I think the body weight stuff is definitely underrated and a good part of any work out program. If you dont have access to a gym, its a lot better than nothing.

The other day, the crossfit WOD was 100 burpee pull ups. Do the burpees under a pull up bar and transistion to a pull up as you come up. Took me a while but I got it done.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Does this include pounding the meat? If so, Bobo has got to be 100 pounds by now.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post

Old 01-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
Uggghhh, burpees. I think the body weight stuff is definitely underrated and a good part of any work out program. If you dont have access to a gym, its a lot better than nothing.

The other day, the crossfit WOD was 100 burpee pull ups. Do the burpees under a pull up bar and transistion to a pull up as you come up. Took me a while but I got it done.
I hated GI Jane, but not as bad as the walk on the hands 100 yards, HSPU, one.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Do push ups, pull ups, planks, situps, squats and get your lazy ass in the pool/running for 5 miles and you will see more results than any gym can provide.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
Do push ups, pull ups, planks, situps, squats and get your lazy ass in the pool/running for 5 miles and you will see more results than any gym can provide.
thats true, unless you actually know what you are doing in the gym, in which case its not true.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I hated GI Jane, but not as bad as the walk on the hands 100 yards, HSPU, one.
GI Jane?
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
GI Jane?
That what they call the 100 Burpee pull-ups. It like the rest of the "girls" in crossfit.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
thats true, unless you actually know what you are doing in the gym, in which case its not true.
Except your total level of fitness isn't near as good. I would love to see the big steriod filled meat heads do a triathalon or try to swin even a 1/4 in open water. Complex lifts are the way to go and they work multiple muscles and increase your strength which means adding muscle. You see most guys in the gym doing Lat pulldowns on the cable machines because they aren't strong enough to do actual pullups using their own body wieght. If you could do just three exercises squats, pullups and pushups would smoke anything you can do in the gym.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #16
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Except your total level of fitness isn't near as good. I would love to see the big steriod filled meat heads do a triathalon or try to swin even a 1/4 in open water. Complex lifts are the way to go and they work multiple muscles and increase your strength which means adding muscle. You see most guys in the gym doing Lat pulldowns on the cable machines because they aren't strong enough to do actual pullups using their own body wieght. If you could do just three exercises squats, pullups and pushups would smoke anything you can do in the gym.
i have my degree in exercise physiology (well, will in 3.5 months), thanks though

you need increased resistance at some point in order to continue to adapt, hence the purpose of periodization in programming. doing tons of pullups and pushups stops becoming effective, and doing bodyweight squats are pointless unless you are doing parallel single leg. steroid filled meat heads, as you put it, dont try to swim a 1/4 in open water, thats not their goal, their goal is to get big. just because its not the same goal as yours doesnt mean its wrong.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #17
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

btw i think its funny that you think everyone who enters a gym instead of just doing bodyweight **** all the time is a steroid filled meathead.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #18
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
"Total level of fitness" is a subjective term that skinny guys bring up a lot. I've done marathons at 205 pounds and I've done them at 240 with the same body fat. Basic physiology dictates that it's going to be easier at 205. You're carrying around less weight and your heart doesn't need to supply blood to as much muscle tissue. That doesn't mean that you are at a better or worse "fitness level." A 240 pound guy is doing more work, burning more calories, storing more glycogen, etc.

Three exercises are never going to smoke anything you can do in the gym. Developing muscles requires using them in different ways.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #19
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
i have my degree in exercise physiology (well, will in 3.5 months), thanks though

you need increased resistance at some point in order to continue to adapt, hence the purpose of periodization in programming. doing tons of pullups and pushups stops becoming effective, and doing bodyweight squats are pointless unless you are doing parallel single leg. steroid filled meat heads, as you put it, dont try to swim a 1/4 in open water, thats not their goal, their goal is to get big. just because its not the same goal as yours doesnt mean its wrong.
I realize you need to fill out your affliction/ed hardy shirts but it is funny when the meat heads get older and see the effects of all that muscle mass. It has to go somewhere and that is why you always see fat 40 year old exmeatheads trying to get it back. Nothing wrong with it though as we the world needs a way for people to die off quicker and when these guys start dropping like fly's in their 50's we will all know why.

As far as squats yeah I don't do body wieght squats but full classic squats on the old fashioned squat rack. I laugh when the meat heads put 10 plates on each side of the rack and do a set of 6 reps where they move it 4 inches and scream and yell at top of their lungs. I know damn well they couldn't do a third of that on a straight bar and doing a full squat which builds much more than just your legs.

Last edited by azbroncfan; 01-24-2010 at 11:55 AM..
Old 01-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #20
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Quote:
I realize you need to fill out your affliction/ed hardy shirts but it is funny when the meat heads get older and see the effects of all that muscle mass. It has to go somewhere and that is why you always see fat 40 year old exmeatheads trying to get it back. Nothing wrong with it though as we the world needs a way for people to die off quicker and when these guys start dropping like fly's in their 50's we will all know why.

As far as squats yeah I don't do body wieght squats but full classic squats on the old fashioned squat rack. I laugh when the meat heads put 10 plates on each side of the rack and do a set of 6 reps where they move it 4 inches and scream and yell at top of their lungs. I know damn well they couldn't do a third of that on a straight bar and doing a full squat which builds much more than just your legs.

Do you get bullied a lot or something?
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #21
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post

Do you get bullied a lot or something?
No not at all. Just live in steriod capital of the US in Scottsdale and get tired of these affliction wearing sheep that think they are the coolest tools around.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #22
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:

Muscle cannot turn into fat just as fat cannot be transformed into muscle. Muscle and fat are two separate and distinct types of tissues. You have the same amount of muscle tissue now as you were born with. You can make your muscles bigger through resistance training or if you discontinue to work out then your muscles can atrophy and fat cells can fill in the space where the muscle size was, giving the appearance that your muscle has turned to fat.
Harvitz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #23
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

why do you keep referring to meatheads? is that your perception of everyone who goes to gym? you realize there are people who are actually educated on how to lift and properly execute different lifts right? or that those same meatheads who do 4 inch squats may just be powerlifters working on their lockout?

there is so much you dont know about lifting its alarming
Old 01-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #24
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
why do you keep referring to meatheads is that your perception of everyone who goes to gym??
No because I there are a lot of people including myself that go to the gym but don't roid it up.
Quote:
you realize there are people who are actually educated on how to lift and properly execute different lifts right?
Obviously yes it isn't that hard to learn what is right and what isn't and what lifts are a waste of time.
Quote:
or that those same meatheads who do 4 inch squats may just be powerlifters working on their lockout?
They could be but then again I would expect them to more than continual back and forth 4 inch at the most reps.
Quote:
there is so much you dont know about lifting its alarming
It's not rocket science here bud, anyone can read some books and come up with their own training plan that they think is the best. I tend to think that including cardio along with wieght/circuit/bodywieght exercises is the best way. But then again I am not looking to fillout my ed hardy and affliction shirts like most of the guys are. Didn't you make a thread once asking if those shirts were cool?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #25
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It's not rocket science here bud, anyone can read some books and come up with their own training plan that they think is the best. I tend to think that including cardio along with wieght/circuit/bodywieght exercises is the best way. But then again I am not looking to fillout my ed hardy and affliction shirts like most of the guys are. Didn't you make a thread once asking if those shirts were cool?
so what you "tend to think" is teh right way, and what everyone else wants to do is the wrong way, regardless of what their goals are. got it