The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Default Schefter: Nolan exit not related to "blitzing"

Hearing Broncos-Mike Nolan breakup had nothing to do with blitzing more or less. Nolan had another option, so did McDaniels. Each moved on.

Figured Schefter's info deserved a thread, considering he's been the best source of Broncos info, maybe ever.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Hearing Broncos-Mike Nolan breakup had nothing to do with blitzing more or less. Nolan had another option, so did McDaniels. Each moved on.

Figured Schefter's info deserved a thread, considering he's been the best source of Broncos info, maybe ever.
Dude...but the food reviews. Oy veh that was bad.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

Great post, Schefter is the man, I take his word on practically everything these days due to his history of accurate reports, year after year. I bet BJC is feeling pretty dumb right now.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Yea, it's weird... Adam didn't mention anything about Napoleon Hitler telling Nolan what time he could use the potty.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I'll accept Shefter and Lombardi's takes over anybody else's.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Actually I believe it had to do with Blizing and several other difference of opinions. McD believes in showing certain looks pre-snap and then changing on the fly (as ball is snapped) in order to confuse opposing offenses. Teddy Bruschi described this philosophy in detail. Prime example, showing a safety over the middle pre snap puts the QB in the mindset of a Cover Three. Just prior to the snap the safety slides over to give the CB help over the top or bracket coverage. This allows the CB to sit on routes and guys like Asante Samuel have made a killing with such looks. It is actually similar to what Shanny wanted and what Slowick ran in Denver. Ultimately it comes down to talent. If you don't have the talent it doesn't matter what scheme you are trying to run. This defense needs guys like Ayers and Smith to pan out and we need help along the DLine. Wilfork, Cody, McCoy, and a number of 3-4 ends should be the top priority. X spoke with Cecil today and told him the priority was getting stronger and more physical. X is at the Shrine Bowl looking at the talent. Cecil also said that while both BMarsh and the Big Tuna were there as well, the trade talk was only presumption rumors!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I would like to know what it did have to do with if it wasn't blitzing.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I would like to know what it did have to do with if it wasn't blitzing.
Nolan had another option, so did McDaniels. Each moved on.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Just a thought, here... as good as a hire as Nolan was.... does anyone think McDaniels would have hired Nolan if Pees or Romeo C. were available?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Just a thought, here... as good as a hire as Nolan was.... does anyone think McDaniels would have hired Nolan if Pees or Romeo C. were available?
Romeo was available dipdong!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

And one can't deny, why would he be leaving in the first place? It's not like Nolan didn't have a shortage of options last year.

Still doesn't make sense to coach one year and then up and run, UNLESS things were intolerable. I don't think anybody will argue that McDaniels already has a rep for being hard to work with, hard headed, arrogant, and for backdooring people because he's afraid of confrontation. I'm sure we'll be hearing more about this in the future.

Alas, in the end McD will have to answer for what the product on the field looks like. He better hope the replacement can do just a good job as Nolan did this year.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #12
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Romeo was available dipdong!
Stand corrected. He was released at the end of 2008. But, I can't recall the circumstances. (If he was interviewing, etc.)

It was a great move bringing Nolan in. I just wonder if it would have been his first choice, since he said himself they had never even met.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Stand corrected. He was released at the end of 2008. But, I can't recall the circumstances. (If he was interviewing, etc.)

It was a great move bringing Nolan in. I just wonder if it would have been his first choice, since he said himself they had never even met.
Former Browns coach Romeo Crennel, who underwent hip replacement surgery two months ago, said Monday he'll sit out the 2009 season.
"I decided the best thing for me to do is to take care of the hip and get it right rather than relocate and have to go through all of that,'' said Crennel.

Browns coach Eric Mangini wanted Crennel to work with the Browns in some capacity this season, but Crennel said, "Eric has to do his thing and run his program the way he wants to do it, and he deserves the opportunity to do that.''
Crennel said he wouldn't rule out re-joining the Browns staff in 2010. "We'll have to see what's available after this season,'' he said.

So, sounds like maybe he wasn't available.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

Dom Capers was McDaniel's first choice.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #15
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Still doesn't make sense to coach one year and then up and run, UNLESS things were intolerable.
Incorrect.

You've never left a position for another position, simply because it was a better fit?

Change does not expressly imply a lack of tolerance.

That's your weird, twisted, obsessed brain ****ing with you.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #16
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Dom Capers was McDaniel's first choice.
Either would have been fine.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #17
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

It sounds like they just high-fived on the way out of the building, having come to a gentlemans agreement. They probably went out for beer afterwards to reminisce all the good times.
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #18
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

There are a lot of reasons Nolan would have left on his own accord than not being able to co-exist with McDaniels.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #19
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I don't think McD can work with an established guy. The chip on his shoulder won't let anybody else think they know better than he.

We're better off going with a small time guy, that way McD can bully him with his 33 years of life experience and push him towards what to do.

I'm pretty much sure that McD wanted Nolan to change his approach, didn't want to get punked by Mike in the process, and just waited for the season to end to backdoor him and get him out of town.

That's just a rough estimate, but that's how things have transpired with McD in these types of situations.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #20
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
It sounds like they just high-fived on the way out of the building, having come to a gentlemans agreement. They probably went out for beer afterwards to reminisce all the good times.
"ahhhh, Josh, you remember that time in training camp when you tried to tell me how to run my nickel team and I told you to STFU and get the hell off my side of the practice field? Yeah.... those were the times..."
Old 01-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #21
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Did anybody ever consider maybe Nolan would rather live in Miami than Denver? I mean, I wouldn't do it. Too many bugs and the humidity sucks, but some people like that.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #22
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The McDaniel haters just want it to be that Nolan left because he hates McDaniels and thinks the organization is in shambles. Rooting for the team to fail is pathetic, but of course many people did that with our troops the last 8 years too. Hoping and rooting for failure so one can feel good about being right?
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #23
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
And one can't deny, why would he be leaving in the first place? It's not like Nolan didn't have a shortage of options last year.

Still doesn't make sense to coach one year and then up and run, UNLESS things were intolerable. I don't think anybody will argue that McDaniels already has a rep for being hard to work with, hard headed, arrogant, and for backdooring people because he's afraid of confrontation. I'm sure we'll be hearing more about this in the future.

Alas, in the end McD will have to answer for what the product on the field looks like. He better hope the replacement can do just a good job as Nolan did this year.
Please, show us some evidence that supports you're theory.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #24
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Nolan had another option, so did McDaniels. Each moved on.
There is more to it. You don't go and look for the same job you already have - you look for a better job, there is some reason why Miami is better than Denver for Nolan.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #25
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
There is more to it. You don't go and look for the same job you already have - you look for a better job, there is some reason why Miami is better than Denver for Nolan.
Maybe Miami is better in that they don't have as many "fans" constantly calling for the coach's head on a daily basis for months.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote