The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2010, 03:31 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Paige: Nolan right guy, unjust end

Paige: Nolan right guy, unjust end

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/20/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Josh McDaniels took only 51 weeks to agree with me about Mike Nolan.

On Jan. 26, 2009, the Broncos' new head coach hired Nolan as his defensive coordinator, and I vehemently opposed the choice. On Jan. 18, 2010, McDaniels and Nolan "parted." In this case, "parted" is a synonym for "fired." McDaniels uttered a few words afterward; Nolan said he knew he was out of here beforehand.

Their conversation on Monday morning in McDaniels' office probably went something like this:

"Hi Mike. How's it going?"

"That probably depends on our talk."

"I'm not happy with the way you coached, Mike."

"We're not on the same page, Josh."

"Mike, don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out."

I publicly and humbly apologize to Mike Nolan.

Thank you for coming to Denver (for a second time). Sorry to see you go.

Nolan proved me wrong. He was the right defensive coordinator for the Broncos. He did an exceptional job with a patchwork defense that had only one starter from 2008 Champ Bailey return in his same position in 2009.

Nolan switched the Broncos from the 4-3 to the 3-4 and greatly helped Elvis Dumervil and D.J. Williams adjust to new positions. Nolan had to integrate 15 new Broncos into the system. He didn't get much out of a defensive line that hadn't been particularly perked up during the offseason (despite all the begging from those of us outside the organization), and the linemen wore down late in the season.

Yet, here are Nolan's positive accomplishments:

Dumervil led the NFL in sacks and was named to his first Pro Bowl, and Williams is an alternate to the Pro Bowl.

The Broncos improved from 29th overall on defense to seventh. The Broncos went from getting 13 turnovers a year ago to 30 this past season.

The defense gave up 324 points, well below the 448 the Broncos were torched for in 2008. The Broncos allowed 20 or fewer points eight times.

Taken as a whole, the defense certainly was more impressive than any in recent years.

Here are the offense's negative achievements:

The Broncos' offense cascaded from No. 2 overall in the league in Mike Shanahan's final season to 15th in McDaniels' first season. The Broncos dropped from 6,333 yards to 5,463, from third in passing to 12th, from 12th in rushing to 18th and from being sacked 13 times to being sacked 34 times.

The Broncos scored 20 or fewer points nine times and scored 27 or more points only four times. They changed players, playbooks, schemes and a quarterback. Taken as a whole, the Broncos' offense certainly was less impressive than in recent years.

But McDaniels will have "his people" in place next season. Rick Dennison and Bobby Turner never were "his people." As I wrote several weeks ago, those two coaching holdovers from the previous staff would be gone, so those moves weren't surprising. Nolan was "his people" for one season, so his quick "parting" indeed was a surprise. Keith Burns is the last Shanahan Man standing . . . for the moment.

It took Nolan almost a full day to find another coordinator's position.

McDaniels won't be blaming the 2010 season on Dennison's offensive line, Turner's running backs or Nolan's defense.

If the coach hires, as expected, Dean Pees for the Broncos' merry-go-round defensive coordinator's amusement ride, he won't be blaming the former New England assistant. McDaniels and Pees were coordinators together, and Pees coached his brother at Kent State and once tried to hire his father as an assistant. Pees said last week after leaving the Patriots he wanted to take off some time to consider his future. I guess time's up.

And McDaniels won't be blaming his brother Ben, who will have a bigger role with the team, or his assistant Mark Thewes (a high school teammate) or assistant coach Roman Phifer (who played for the Patriots) or video director Steve Scarnecchia (who was with the Patriots and is the son of the Patriots' offensive coordinator) or college scout Adam Peters (who worked in the Patriots' personnel department) or former Patriots' players Jabar Gaffney, Daniel Graham, Lonnie Paxton, Brandon Gorin and LaMont Jordan, or the other players from New England who will come this offseason.

The Denver Broncoiots?

Who will be blamed if next season is similar to this season? All the rascals have been, or will be hello, Brandon Marshall thrown out.

Did the wrong coach leave the building at Dove Valley on Monday?

Next January, I will be apologizing to Josh McDaniels, or he'll have to agree, again, with me. Look out for that door.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14226415
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2010, 03:45 AM   #2
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Mutual parting or not, this situation is terribly embarassing any way I look at it. Either McD thinks he can't succeed with Nolan, or Nolan thinks McD is an insufferable assclown. My feeling is it's probably a bit of both. Either way, it is the last straw for me regarding my support of McD. I didn't want the guy in the first place, and am sick of his hatchet swinging dramatics. I'll still cheer my team, and I'll be a Bronco fan long after this guy is gone. I just can't defend his actions, because they make no sense to me.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:00 AM   #3
Drek
Ring of Famer

Once again Woody is opposed to all things McDaniels.

Bringing in Nolan? "McDaniels don't know ****!"

Nolan leaving? "McDaniels don't know ****!"

All the while McDaniels took a team with supposedly a bunch less talent and a pile of yes men to the same record Shanahan had been averaging the past three seasons, all while fully changing the offensive and defensive schemes.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:06 AM   #4
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Yet, here are Nolan's positive accomplishments:

Dumervil led the NFL in sacks and was named to his first Pro Bowl, and Williams is an alternate to the Pro Bowl.

The Broncos improved from 29th overall on defense to seventh. The Broncos went from getting 13 turnovers a year ago to 30 this past season.

The defense gave up 324 points, well below the 448 the Broncos were torched for in 2008. The Broncos allowed 20 or fewer points eight times.

Taken as a whole, the defense certainly was more impressive than any in recent years.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:12 AM   #5
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Mutual parting or not, this situation is terribly embarassing any way I look at it. Either McD thinks he can't succeed with Nolan, or Nolan thinks McD is an insufferable assclown. My feeling is it's probably a bit of both. Either way, it is the last straw for me regarding my support of McD. I didn't want the guy in the first place, and am sick of his hatchet swinging dramatics. I'll still cheer my team, and I'll be a Bronco fan long after this guy is gone. I just can't defend his actions, because they make no sense to me.
Spot on.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post

All the while McDaniels took a team with supposedly a bunch less talent and a pile of yes men to the same record Shanahan had been averaging the past three seasons, all while fully changing the offensive and defensive schemes.
One sure-fire way to know you're right about something in this town: If you disagree with Woodrow. I just hope Woody gets his chance to move back to DC and continue his Shanahan nut swinging existence which he obviously misses dearly.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

I can not stand Woddy Paige. He does enough research to make his idiotic points look legit by throwing a bunch of #'s at you. Look at every single Woody Paige article, it's overly filled with stats and #'s to make him soudn smart. But really, he is the most hypocritical writer I know of. He says one thing one week, and another the next day. I can't stand him.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
...sick of his hatchet swinging dramatics.
The only "hatchet swinging dramatics" are coming from people like you. Nolan wasn't axed, he took another job. There was, from all reports, an amicable and mutual parting of the ways. But go ahead and twist yourself up into a pretzel blowing this out of proportion. And maybe prescribe yourself some Xanax, or perhaps something stronger, while you're at it.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
The only "hatchet swinging dramatics" are coming from people like you. Nolan wasn't axed, he took another job. There was, from all reports, an amicable and mutual parting of the ways. But go ahead and twist yourself up into a pretzel blowing this out of proportion. And maybe prescribe yourself some Xanax, or perhaps something stronger, while you're at it.
regardless of what happened McD's first hire lasted only 1 year, and a broncos defense that went from 29th to 7th just loss their coach.

How do you amicably part ways with something that was so successful? That just does not make sense to me.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

blah blah blah don't bash Mcd ....

blah blah blah it's Mcd's fault ....

(thread summary)

Well at least Mcd aint trying to use the media to win this PR battle ... yet.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Shanahan had on his staffs:

- His best friend from college in heimerdinger
- A sh*t load of former players (Burns, Watson, Dennison, Bradford, Spencer, Kubiak, to name a few)
- A ton of examples of giving the sons of his assistant coaches jobs with the team
- And now he is doing the same thing in DC, magnified by hiring his own son as an OC

This surrounding yourself with your people is not unique to McDaniels. It exists on every staff in the NFL.

So, I am not sure what everyone is up in arms about in regard to bringing in "his guys". Is the argument that Shanahan had better yes men? That certainly wasn't the case in 2007 and 2008. In reality, Larry Coyer was probably the furthest thing from a yes man and he was the most successful DC we have had in the post Super Bowl era, and what did Shanny do? Fired him.

Last edited by BigPlayShay; 01-20-2010 at 08:55 AM..
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
Paladin
Ring of Famer

The butt-hurt will always hurt regarless of the truth of events.

It is not the events that troubles these guys, but their intrpretations of the events which are always tarnished and colored with their hurt butts. Shanny? WAH WAH..... Quitler? WAH WAH.....

Pathetic....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazi_kal View Post
blah blah blah don't bash Mcd ....

blah blah blah it's Mcd's fault ....

(thread summary)

Well at least Mcd aint trying to use the media to win this PR battle ... yet.
If he tells his side of the strory, you don't like it. If he doesn't tell his side of the story, you don't like it and make shyte up just like a couple of other pundits around here. Wow!
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #14
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
If he tells his side of the strory, you don't like it. If he doesn't tell his side of the story, you don't like it and make shyte up just like a couple of other pundits around here. Wow!
No, I'll clear that up. I'm glad he's keeping this in house as much as possible ..... it's a big step. How exactly was I making anything up?
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #15
meangene
Ring of Famer

Let's be honest, Woody had never been stellar in terms of being a serious journalist. He has never been a source of insider information or great insight. He was more just comic relief - sort of a harmless sideshow. Thing is, he really isn't that funny any more.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #16
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post

Like his spin on that did ya? He's such a dbag man. Yeah, he banged on McD for the hire of Nolan and now for the let go of Nolan. Make up you f'n mind Paige.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
The butt-hurt will always hurt regarless of the truth of events.

It is not the events that troubles these guys, but their intrpretations of the events which are always tarnished and colored with their hurt butts. Shanny? WAH WAH..... Quitler? WAH WAH.....

Pathetic....
Who brought up Shanahan in this thread? Just like who always brings up Jay and Mike? That's right, it's you jagoffs. So who's always crying about it? Ha ha. Loser.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #18
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

So.... Woody is saying that he was really wrong about all of this, but now he'll really be right.

Got it.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote