The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default mcdaniels wanted nolan to blitz less often?

it appears nolan really did adopt the jimmy johnson/rex ryan school fo defense, but mcdaniels wanted to do a more patriot style of confusing coverage rather than bringing pressure. which is crazy because that same type of play is what killed our defense this year, they stopped attacking and started backing off.

mcdaniels is right that constantly blitzing to make up for lack of stopping the run is a bad idea, but still, cant just back off the pressure when you have an unfantastic front 7, you need scheme to cover up the weakness and that pressure seemed to do that. maybe it really did get exposed, who knows.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncoshea...891?source=rss
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

At this point TSI it just dont matter. Nolan is gone. What i would suggest is accept it move on and avoid BPC threads. dude is crazy
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:16 AM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/c...icleid=1226848

Quote:
Less than two weeks after McDaniels acted in a way he would never tolerate from his players - like a petulant child - when he refused to provide his team its best chance to win its final game by benching Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall and tight end Tony Scheffler, he called in defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and told him in no uncertain terms his Broncos would not be blitzing next season like they did this year.
The blitz, especially in some run situations, has long been a staple of Nolan’s approach to defense, and it has served him and his teams well. That included McDaniels’ Broncos, who were 29th in the league in defense a year ago but finished seventh this season, their first under Nolan, despite a late-season slide that coincided with a less than brilliant 2-8 finish to McDaniels’ roller coaster first season as a head coach.

There will not be a second season of that union because after that meeting Nolan and McDaniels decided what had always been the NFL equivalent of a shotgun marriage - McDaniels hired Nolan at the suggestion of the agent they both share, Bob LaMonte, despite the fact they barely knew each other - had to end.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Both styles have their pros and cons, it just depends on the players you have. McD thinks he has the players (or wants to go out and get more players) who can cover better then they can blitz, then so be it. As long as they succeed then I don't care which style we use.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

If this is true then McD is running a Totalitarian Empire with constant purges reminicent of 1930's Russia. If your not a yes men you are purged.

I wondered why the A gap blitz which was so successful early in the year all but disappeard in the last 10 game slide. I don't know if they ran it during the KFC blowout in Denver but it might have been something that would have kept Charles from getting outside like he did all day and prevent the TE or WR to seal the edge to create a hole off tackle.

Looks like the years of having a sack leader are as dead as the years when we had 1200+ yard backs.

Doesn't Slowic preach the read react which is why the CB's are 10 yards off the ball and they try to keep everything in front to prevent the big play?

I sure hope McD is done picking up blocking TE's in the 2nd round and this year we get the top DL at our slot and pickup a LB who can cover better than Davis in the middle, maybe an outside guy to replace doom in coverage packages on 3rd down when sending only 3 rushers. After that we need a depth DL guy, a center, a LG and maybe a QB depending on Orton's status. Oh and I forgot a playmaking WR who can demand double teams and beat them for game winning plays.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:50 AM   #6
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
At this point TSI it just dont matter. Nolan is gone. What i would suggest is accept it move on and avoid BPC threads. dude is crazy
crazy face Pictures, Images and Photos
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:55 AM   #7
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
This article is just outright wrong. Its obvious Nolan wanted to leave for the Dolphins and McDaniels chose not to stand in his way. You really think they where quibbling over strategy literally hours before Nolan signs his contract with the Dolphins?

Nolan saw a faster path to being a head coach again, he took it. McDaniels chose not to stand in the way of that goal. End of story.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:24 AM   #8
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

What is it with people saying McDaniels wants to run a tight ship and be a dictator? What NFL coach that runs a loose ship has so much success? So McDaniels wants things done his way. So do the other 31 head coaches, nothing new there except to McDaniels bashers that is.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:50 AM   #9
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

In case "The Coach" didn't know, he didn't bring the Pats defensive line with him to Denver.

I thought Nolan did a helluva job overall with the average talent he had up front.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:54 AM   #10
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
What is it with people saying McDaniels wants to run a tight ship and be a dictator? What NFL coach that runs a loose ship has so much success? So McDaniels wants things done his way. So do the other 31 head coaches, nothing new there except to McDaniels bashers that is.
Really? I bet you can't name a single coach that is successful right now and has all the say on everything on top of calling their own offensive plays. I bet you can't name a single one. Zero doesn't seem so close to 31.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:02 AM   #11
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

I disagree completely. I felt our blitzing was constant all year, however the 2nd half of the season people caught on.

Watch the Jets play defense, it looks nothing like the way we did. Their blitzes are calculated and effective. Ours were just, well, predictable, and only had success stopping the run. Look back at all of DOOM's sacks, they were almost always on 4 person rushes.

I honestly don't care and after cooling down about this, I believe the personnel (Dawkins, Goodman, Hill, etc) had more to do with the turnaround than Nolan did.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:21 AM   #12
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
it appears nolan really did adopt the jimmy johnson/rex ryan school fo defense, but mcdaniels wanted to do a more patriot style of confusing coverage rather than bringing pressure. which is crazy because that same type of play is what killed our defense this year, they stopped attacking and started backing off.

mcdaniels is right that constantly blitzing to make up for lack of stopping the run is a bad idea, but still, cant just back off the pressure when you have an unfantastic front 7, you need scheme to cover up the weakness and that pressure seemed to do that. maybe it really did get exposed, who knows.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncoshea...891?source=rss
I tried saying this yesterday... The scheme McKidd was around while with the pats was not an agressive blitzing defense like so many were trying to say.

I have no idea where the rumor came from that our head coach was the agressive blitz happy one.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #13
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This doesn't look good for McD no matter which way you spin it. Either his own hand picked staff can't even work with him or he is incompetent at picking his own staff. How do you not know what a guy does when you hire him? It isn't like Nolan is new to the league. Did he expect Nolan to run a defense he has never worked with? It doesn't really matter what you want to believe, every scenerio makes McD look bad.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:34 AM   #14
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Wow, no sources at all. You could have skipped the season, spent all of yesterday on the mane, and then written that article.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:50 AM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
It doesn't really matter what you want to believe, every scenerio makes McD look bad.
Not true.

Can't a guy just want to leave for more money without hating where he worked?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:52 AM   #16
521 1N5
Perennial Pro-bowler

I wish the country was as passionate as running Obama out of office as y'all are of running McD out of town. Wonder who our next coach will be? Maybe Marty!!! He's very traditional, you guys should love it!
521 1N5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #17
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Not true.

Can't a guy just want to leave for more money without hating where he worked?
Do we know his contract? How would he know he is getting more money, at that point, anyways?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #18
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Both styles blitz. i'm just curious as to why Tiny or anyone else thinks the personnel Den has are suitable to the NE style of 3-4.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:55 AM   #19
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 521 1N5 View Post
I wish the country was as passionate as running Obama out of office as y'all are of running McD out of town. Wonder who our next coach will be? Maybe Marty!!! He's very traditional, you guys should love it!
These discussions are nasty enough... Please don't bring politics into them.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:55 AM   #20
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Do we know his contract? How would he know he is getting more money, at that point, anyways?
We don't know......yet at least. But that's not the point. Naturally, you missed that.

I'll say it, slowly.....You said "every scenario makes McD look bad". My scenario is by definition possible and doesn't make McD look bad.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:56 AM   #21
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
I disagree completely. I felt our blitzing was constant all year, however the 2nd half of the season people caught on.

Watch the Jets play defense, it looks nothing like the way we did. Their blitzes are calculated and effective. Ours were just, well, predictable, and only had success stopping the run. Look back at all of DOOM's sacks, they were almost always on 4 person rushes.

I honestly don't care and after cooling down about this, I believe the personnel (Dawkins, Goodman, Hill, etc) had more to do with the turnaround than Nolan did.
Agree, that is why we gave up some many rushing yards, and the points in every game, don't get me started
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #22
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 521 1N5 View Post
I would hope for Cowher. Marty can build a team but still gets far to conservative in the playoffs. It doesn't really matter though. The NFL has passed Bowlen and the Bronco way of doing things. No good team gives the coach full control and has them calling plays on one side of the ball. No matter who we bring in, I doubt we are successful if we keep the power structure that we have.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #23
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
Both styles blitz. i'm just curious as to why Tiny or anyone else thinks the personnel Den has are suitable to the NE style of 3-4.
Because Mcdaniels says so, he is always right and he always knows best, and even if he doesn't then **** it because he is the all powerful coach/GM now and he gets 3 more years to do his thing and put in his scheme and it is inconcievable that a man with so much genious could ever lead to anything negative at all.

Despite that Bowlen specifically didn't want 1 man to wield both coach and GM powers again, Mcdaniels have had both since the Goodmans left.

Despite that Mcdaniels was hailed as the prow of the good ship offense, we took significant steps backwards on points scored, 3rd downs and red zone scoring.

Despite that our defense improved from last to top 10 we know find out that Mcdaniels is not happy with how it is run and want to change it.

Spending a future 1st round draft pick on a 2nd round player in a draft he didn't prepare for propperly.

But don't let that ruin anything.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #24
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
We don't know......yet at least. But that's not the point. Naturally, you missed that.

I'll say it, slowly.....You said "every scenario makes McD look bad". My scenario is by definition possible and doesn't make McD look bad.
Ok, maybe I should say any scenerio that is played out within the rules. If the Dolphins tampered and Nolan just left for more money, then McD wouldn't look bad.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:26 AM   #25
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Well, I obviously agree that Nolan used Hagen and esp Doom as he did because they arent' as fluid in pass coverage (ie lack lateral mobility) as the OLB NE typically uses, and the down lineman aren't as stout v the run as the personnel NE typically uses. DJ Williams was drafted as a Will and was never really a stout Mike in the 4-3.

But, we'll see what changes occur.

I'm mystified as to what the owner and front office are doing. But, we'll have to wait to see what happens there too.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote