The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default For Those Who Are Convinced it's the Coaches

Here's a hypothetical. Let's say we took just three players from three other teams in the NFL and added them to the Broncos. Say...

Logan Mankins, LG
Nick Mangold, C
Vince Wilfork, NT

How would that have affected last season's record? Would you rather have the players? Or the coaches?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Conklin
Ring of Famer

if we are fantasizing, lets bring back a younger elway, rod smith, and the orange crush defense....or would you rather have the coaches?
Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
El Minion
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conklin View Post
if we are fantasizing, lets bring back a younger elway, rod smith, and the orange crush defense....or would you rather have the coaches?
How about Dan Reeves with Elway or Shanahan with Elway
El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Peyton Manning, Patrick Willis, Darrelle Revis.

3 players.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
Gob
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Here's a hypothetical. Let's say we took just three players from three other teams in the NFL and added them to the Broncos. Say...

Logan Mankins, LG
Nick Mangold, C
Vince Wilfork, NT

How would that have affected last season's record? Would you rather have the players? Or the coaches?
We would have won more with those players, no question. Norv looks better with the Chargers then he did with the Raiders. But Norv still matters. I think it has always been how much the coaching staff and the players fit each other. IMHO, its pretty apparent that McDaniels and the carryover players on offense didn't fit well, among other people. Maybe McDaniels can work some free-agent or draft magic and get the next Mankins, Mangold, or Wilfork for this coming year, but I doubt it. He will probably have to try to make do with less then perfect fits, and I don't have much faith in his ability to do so, but I hope I am wrong.
Gob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob View Post
We would have won more with those players, no question. Norv looks better with the Chargers then he did with the Raiders. But Norv still matters. I think it has always been how much the coaching staff and the players fit each other. IMHO, its pretty apparent that McDaniels and the carryover players on offense didn't fit well, among other people. Maybe McDaniels can work some free-agent or draft magic and get the next Mankins, Mangold, or Wilfork for this coming year, but I doubt it. He will probably have to try to make do with less then perfect fits, and I don't have much faith in his ability to do so, but I hope I am wrong.

In the various SD-NYJ game threads and post game smack talk, some people hit on when you have 2 HC's get the same team and the same players to the playoffs and they dont actually advance to title games, at what point is it the players and not the coaching? You could apply the same theory to the Denver Broncos. New coaches, new schemes. Many of the previous players, same result. Home in January crying about defensive coordinators.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conklin View Post
We've got to get a smilie for **** going over people's heads.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Gob
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
In the various SD-NYJ game threads and post game smack talk, some people hit on when you have 2 HC's get the same team and the same players to the playoffs and they dont actually advance to title games, at what point is it the players and not the coaching? You could apply the same theory to the Denver Broncos. New coaches, new schemes. Many of the previous players, same result. Home in January crying about defensive coordinators.

Haha, nicely done. I am going to have to be more careful around here.
Certainly could be the players. Most of the ones on defense are different from last year though. On offense, could be the line gets worn down and can't power into the end zone, but still, you have to rely on the coaches either drafting well, getting lucky in free agency, or making the most out of a bad fit to replace those players. I have my doubts about McDaniels.
Gob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

Please stop pissing on our legs and telling us it's raining.

Nolan leaving is not good by any stretch of the imagination. And coaches can make a huge difference. There is a reason success follows some coaches no matter where they go.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote