The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Popps
It's so easy

Default Nolan out, Pees may be in...

Broncos defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and the team parted ways today, clearing the way for former Patriots assistant Dean Pees to take the position on head coach Josh McDaniels' staff.
"I can't say anything other than Josh and I mutually agreed to part ways," Nolan said after meeting with McDaniels today.
Pees had served as the defensive coordinator in New England under Bill Belichick since the 2006 season, but he left the team under mutual agreement on Jan. 14. The Patriots defense ranked 11th overall this season.

Pees, 60, was hospitalized for shortness of breath in a Week 17 loss at Houston.
But don't feel too sorry for Nolan. He's expected to get another defensive coordinator position soon, interviewing
this week with the Miami Dolphins.

The Buffalo Bills have also expressed interest, and the Chicago Bears may be eying him as well.
Nolan was the first hire for McDaniels when he became head coach of the Broncos last year.

With a new 3-4 defense the Broncos gave up the fewest points in the NFL (66) during the first six games of the season on the way to 6-0 start, but faltered the second half of the season and were torched for 44 points in the season finale against the Kansas City Chiefs.

"I have great respect for Mike and wish him success in the future," McDaniels said in a team statement.
Nolan had coached the San Francisco 49ers from 2005 before being fired during the 2008 season. He is the son of former NFL head coach Dick Nolan.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz0d199cZ7t

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14217058
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

haha...so anyone who leaves our team now becomes a Chicago target?
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Where is this team statement?
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Giving up 44 points to KC in Denver all I can say is good luck to you Mike Nolan wherever you end up. I'm looking forward to your replacement.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronco View Post
Giving up 44 points to KC in Denver all I can say is good luck to you Mike Nolan wherever you end up. I'm looking forward to your replacement.
He only gave up 30, Mcdaniels and Orton gave up 14. You can't really blame the defensive coordinator for the QB throwing two pick six interceptions.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
He only gave up 30, Mcdaniels and Orton gave up 14. You can't really blame the defensive coordinator for the QB throwing two pick six interceptions.
Just like you cannot blame the coach for the QB throwing 2 pick sixes right?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
Popps
It's so easy

Dean Pees, a 37-year coaching veteran, was named the defensive coordinator on Bill Belichick's staff on January 17, 2006. Pees served as the Patriots' linebackers coach from 2004-05 and his coaching credentials include six seasons as a collegiate head coach and 15 seasons as a defensive coordinator at the college level. Pees joined Belichick's staff prior to the 2004 season after a tenure as the head coach at Kent State.

The Patriots have averaged less than 20 points per game allowed in every season that Pees has been defensive coordinator. In 2008, the Patriots allowed 19.3 points per game and achieved an 11-5 record despite using 22 different starters on defense, including four rookies. Pees' 2008 defense ranked second in the NFL in forced threeand- out percentage (30.6) and helped give the offense the second best average starting field position in the NFL.

In 2007, Pees' defense contributed to the first 16-0 regular season in NFL history. The Patriots defense allowed 274 points, marking the fourth time in the previous five seasons (since 2003) that New England has allowed fewer than 275 points in a season. The 2007 Patriots ranked fourth in the league in yards allowed per game (288.3), the fewest allowed by a Patriots defense in 28 years, and second in the league in sacks (47). The Patriots defense sent three starters to the Pro Bowl (LB Mike Vrabel, NT Vince Wilfork and CB Asante Samuel).

In his first season as defensive coordinator in 2006, Pees' defense set a franchise record for points allowed per game, giving up an average of just 14.81 points per opponent as the Patriots finished 12-4 and at the top of the AFC East. The New England defense was fourth in the NFL in takeaways and first in opponents' fourth down conversion percentage. The Patriots defense was also second in the league in opponent passer rating. Pees' defense steadily improved over the course of the season, and remained in the NFL's top 10 in total defense for the entire second half of the season. The Patriots finished second in the league in points allowed in 2006.

In 2005, Pees tutored a Patriots linebackers unit that featured three of the defense's top five tacklers and accounted for 22 of the team's 33 sacks. Mike Vrabel transitioned from outside linebacker to inside linebacker during the season and paced the team with a career-high 114 tackles (80 solo), while Rosevelt Colvin's 73 tackles (49 solo) marked the second highest total of his career and placed fourth on the team. Tedy Bruschi, who missed the first six games of the season while recovering from a stroke, placed fifth on the team with 72 tackles (38 solo) despite playing in just nine games.

The contributions of the linebackers in the second half of the 2005 season were a key reason the Patriots were able to clinch the AFC East title by recording six wins in a seven-week span over the final two months of the season. During the month of December the Patriots shut down the run, allowing just 31.3 rushing yards per game. The effort helped to produce four straight December wins, including a 28-0 shutout over Tampa Bay on December 17 to claim the AFC East crown. Additionally, New England allowed just 10 total points over a three-game December span, marking the fewest points allowed over any three games in team history.

Pees marked a solid first season in the NFL in 2004, mentoring a linebackers unit that produced three of the team's top four tacklers. The Patriots defense ranked sixth in the NFL against the run, while New England linebackers recorded 27.5 quarterback sacks. Tedy Bruschi finished second on the team in tackles (128), and fellow starters Ted Johnson (112) and Vrabel (76), finished third and fourth, respectively. Outside linebacker Willie McGinest, also a starter in the Patriots' 3-4 alignment, paced the team with 9.5 sacks. Bruschi, in his ninth NFL season, earned his first Pro Bowl selection.

Pees was hired as the head coach at Kent State on December 17, 1997, faced with the challenge of rebuilding a program that had not produced a winning season in 12 years and had not won more than three games in a season for six years. Once his system was fully implemented, the Golden Flashes showed significant improvement.

In 2001, Pees led the Golden Flashes to a 6-5 record, notching the school's best mark in 14 years, and only the second winning season in 25 years. In his last three seasons at Kent State, Pees' teams won more games than the school had won in the previous decade. Pees' six-year tenure with the Golden Flashes made him the longest-serving head coach in the program's last 40 years.

Prior to securing the head job at Kent State, Pees was the defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach on Nick Saban's staff at Michigan State. The Spartans qualified for a postseason bowl game in each of Pees' three seasons in East Lansing and finished with the 13th-ranked overall defense in the nation in his final season.

Pees joined Michigan State after serving as secondary coach on Lou Holtz's staff at Notre Dame during the 1994 season. While in South Bend, Pees coached Eagles Pro Bowl cornerback Bobby Taylor during his senior season in which he was named to numerous All-American teams. He joined the Fighting Irish after four seasons as the defensive coordinator at the University of Toledo, where he was first hired by Saban in 1990. In 1992, Pees' defense allowed just 13.9 points per game as Toledo posted an 8-3 record, including two shutout victories. Pees also served a threeyear stint as the secondary coach at the Naval Academy (1987-89).

Pees began his coaching career with a six-year tenure as a high school head coach. He then entered the college ranks as the defensive coordinator/ secondary coach for the University of Findlay (1979-82) and then held the same title at Miami (Ohio) University (1983-86).
Old 01-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
OK Nolan's D only gave up 30 points to KC in Denver, that makes all the difference.

I'm still looking forward to Nolan's replacement.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Yes Popps but we don't have the players that New England had
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
well, not ALL of them yet
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Sooooo, what Popps is saying is Pees has no real experience, I get it.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Totally agree, and that's why you'll find me making that argument on many threads here, in spite of being told that we should have gone 16-0 and won the SB this season.

More talent? Where do I sign? Been saying that for a while, now.

I'd assume that adding more talent would be part of the equation. Just a guess.

For the record, it looks like Pees did rather well with less than stellar talent, rookies and dealt with a lot of injuries.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #13
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Totally agree, and that's why you'll find me making that argument on many threads here, in spite of being told that we should have gone 16-0 and won the SB this season.

More talent? Where do I sign? Been saying that for a while, now.

I'd assume that adding more talent would be part of the equation. Just a guess.

For the record, it looks like Pees did rather well with less than stellar talent, rookies and dealt with a lot of injuries.
Popps,

I thought (being one of your minions) that I was supposed to root for LESS talent and better records so I can say what a genius McDaniels is...

can you please forward me your thoughts on Nolan and I will proceed with proper support.

Signed,

Minion #4
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #14
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
Where is this team statement?

Broncos head coach McDaniels issued the following statement:
"The coach indicated he wished to seek new challenges elsewhere."
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #15
bombay
Ring of Famer

As noted in the Nolan thread, the wheels came off the defense in the 2nd half of the season. They gave up an average of 15.5 in the first half, during which they faced 5 playoff bound teams. They gave up 24.75 in the 2nd half, when they faced 3 playoff bound teams. For whatever reason, other teams caught up with Nolan's D.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I like Nolan, but I never thought he would be the long term answer. I assumed he would stay here until he got another HC shot, which could have come at any time. So, it sucks, but it's part of the game.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #17
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
Popps,

I thought (being one of your minions) that I was supposed to root for LESS talent and better records so I can say what a genius McDaniels is...

can you please forward me your thoughts on Nolan and I will proceed with proper support.

Signed,

Minion #4

You clearly need to read your Minion Constitution. This is covered in chapter 7, just after the Hillis Conspiracy guidelines.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
As noted in the Nolan thread, the wheels came off the defense in the 2nd half of the season. They gave up an average of 15.5 in the first half, during which they faced 5 playoff bound teams. They gave up 24.75 in the 2nd half, when they faced 3 playoff bound teams. For whatever reason, other teams caught up with Nolan's D.
That was disappointing. Even in games where we scored fairly well, we got into real trouble.

I attributed it to lacking talent, but we had the same talent all year. So, that was someone of a concern.

Still, I would have liked to see him have one more year. But, I'm also not upset if we get Pees in here. I like what I read about him.

Again, one of these things we'll never really know... I wonder how much input Nolan had over personnel? I wish we knew that answer. We never will, just like with Shanahan.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #19
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
That was disappointing. Even in games where we scored fairly well, we got into real trouble.

I attributed it to lacking talent, but we had the same talent all year. So, that was someone of a concern.

Still, I would have liked to see him have one more year. But, I'm also not upset if we get Pees in here. I like what I read about him.

Again, one of these things we'll never really know... I wonder how much input Nolan had over personnel? I wish we knew that answer. We never will, just like with Shanahan.
You're still right: It's lack of talent more than any other thing, including coaching.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #20
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
You're still right: It's lack of talent more than any other thing, including coaching.

No doubt about the lack of talent. Mediocre running backs were putting up huge numbers against the Broncos running it right up the gut.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #21
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
And during the 1st 4 game losing streak we only avg'ed 10 points per game on O.

What are the O #'s during the SECOND 4 game losing streak?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #22
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post

Should be easy enough to find out. Let us know.

Did Nolan run the offense, too?

Last edited by bombay; 01-18-2010 at 07:20 PM..
Old 01-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #23
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post

Not sure, but 2 of those games were played without the starting QB, for the record.

The concern was against Indy, Philly and KC, where we did put up some points... and the D still fell apart.

It was just tough to figure why we went south so hard, defensively. Or, maybe we just played over our heads early on.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #24
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Not sure, but 2 of those games were played without the starting QB, for the record.

The concern was against Indy, Philly and KC, where we did put up some points... and the D still fell apart.

It was just tough to figure why we went south so hard, defensively. Or, maybe we just played over our heads early on.
For the record Orton started the last 4 games, I did the math it was 21.4 points over the last 4 games. Not stellar
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #25
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I like Nolan, but I never thought he would be the long term answer. I assumed he would stay here until he got another HC shot, which could have come at any time. So, it sucks, but it's part of the game.
He's going to buffalo.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote