The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default Smaller NCAA Football programs?

Hey, just a general question.

I have a son who is a junior in high school. He is a good offensive lineman in a really poor program and because of that, we are trying to find out if playing college football is right for him.

He has attended D1 "football camps" and has attracted the attention of coaches. He is able to routinely shut down the blue chip D-line athletes in our city (and at the camps), but as I said - his team just sucks.

So, we are planning to go to several camps again this spring / summer in order to work with the coaches and try our best. However, since our phone isn't exactly ringing I have to be realistic. So, my question....

Does anyone have some recommendations for smaller D1 schools, or good D2 schools we might try to contact (or go to camp)? He would like to find a school to study engineering, and try to find some scholarship dollars. Any suggestions?

BTW - he has played all positions on the O-line (including long-snapper), but would probably project as a Guard at 6'2" 300.

Any suggestions where we might look?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

Camps and stuff like that? Sometimes good things come from them but they are mostly for $$$.

A great highschool career will stand out a million times more than anything else. How is the program at the HS he will be going to?
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

Film, Film and more film. Then get that out to Rivals, Scout,Youtube, etc. The camps and what are a good way to get him exposure, but try and send a well constructed highlight tape out on DVD to the D1 schools in your area. That said, a lot of the FCS (former DII programs) are pretty darn good. Appalachian State, Montana, etc. See which of those schools are in your area, send them film, be persistent.
Master___Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Come to Washington State, we need all sorts of help. I'm sure he could make the team. We're kind of rebuilding right now, but we definitely need Oline help. That puts him in a prestigious conference if you're interested in that.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Montana.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

Oh, may want to talk to BPC, he was a recruited OLmen (I think it was OL) and went to Hawaii. may have some insight for you.

There are also some really good Juco's in Kansas and OK that your kid could try and play at, and then get better exposure to the D1 schools, if playing D1 football is a goal.
Master___Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

My Alma mater,UTEP (ut-el paso), hosts camps in Dallas and Houston. Check em out.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

teams are starting to look beyond your top 10 schools for talent, schools like central michigan, montana, idaho, smaller programs have all produced great talent in the NFL.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
CoopDawg
Seasoned Veteran

McCaffrey

Regardless of where your son plays high school football, game film will determine his collegiate prospects. A well presented highlight video is an absolute must. Then make sure he really wants to pursue college football 100%, it is a full time job on top of school. In terms of specific programs to pursue I can only speak to those in my state. Obviously Utah and BYU are powerhouse programs, but Weber State, Utah State, Southern Utah, and Snow College (JUCO) are all worth looking into.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/info/forms/football.asp
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
SoDak Bronco

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

U of South Dakota is my alma mater. They are a transition school, this was there first year in Division 1-AA moving up from D2. If you son is looking to do engineering, our Rival SouthDakotaStateUniversity which is D1-AA has those degrees available.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Ottawa University Braves baby, played there a couple of years and loved it...but we got our as$ kicked by Souix Falls in the playoffs, they are a damn good school that just won another NAIA championship, so maybe they are the best ticket!!
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
SoDak Bronco

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncswin View Post
Ottawa University Braves baby, played there a couple of years and loved it...but we got our as$ kicked by Souix Falls in the playoffs, they are a damn good school that just won another NAIA championship, so maybe they are the best ticket!!
I played at usf . They are moving to Division 2. I transfered my Soph year after a knee injury.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
Conklin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Hey, just a general question.

I have a son who is a junior in high school. He is a good offensive lineman in a really poor program and because of that, we are trying to find out if playing college football is right for him.

He has attended D1 "football camps" and has attracted the attention of coaches. He is able to routinely shut down the blue chip D-line athletes in our city (and at the camps), but as I said - his team just sucks.

So, we are planning to go to several camps again this spring / summer in order to work with the coaches and try our best. However, since our phone isn't exactly ringing I have to be realistic. So, my question....

Does anyone have some recommendations for smaller D1 schools, or good D2 schools we might try to contact (or go to camp)? He would like to find a school to study engineering, and try to find some scholarship dollars. Any suggestions?

BTW - he has played all positions on the O-line (including long-snapper), but would probably project as a Guard at 6'2" 300.

Any suggestions where we might look?
send him up I-44 to Missouri Southern...Rod Smith, James Thrash, Richard Jordan, and Allen Barbre(playing for GB as a linemen right now)
Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #15
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master___Pain View Post
Film, Film and more film. Then get that out to Rivals, Scout,Youtube, etc. The camps and what are a good way to get him exposure, but try and send a well constructed highlight tape out on DVD to the D1 schools in your area. That said, a lot of the FCS (former DII programs) are pretty darn good. Appalachian State, Montana, etc. See which of those schools are in your area, send them film, be persistent.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

This. You'll need to get his name out there, and as much in the way of highlight film as you can get to as many programs as you can.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #16
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Prep school scholarship as a Post Graduate.

Goggle this:

Fork Union Military Academy

Coach John Shuman.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #17
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

Yea my highschool has been a great exporter of collegiate and NFL talent. It wasn't because of camps...

Good tape...exposure. Have him get with the high school coaches early and talk about his intentions so they can use all the resources they have to help your son.
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote