The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 05:15 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default PFW: Rice leads list of Hall's likeliest inductees

Rice leads list of Hall's likeliest inductees

Posted Jan. 17, 2010 @ 12:34 p.m.
By Mike Wilkening

During the week of Super Bowl XLIV, the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee will meet to consider the credentials of 15 modern-era candidates as well as those of a pair of candidates recommended by the Hall's seniors committee.

Per Hall rules, all 17 candidates will be discussed, and then the winnowing process begins. The seniors committee candidates — Dick LeBeau and Floyd Little — will be voted upon first.

Then, the 15 modern-era candidates come up for vote. The list is cut from 15 to 10, then from 10 down to the five finalists, who are then voted upon individually. At least 80 percent of the votes from the Hall's 44 selectors are needed for induction; the same goes for the LeBeau and Little. As few as four and as many as seven candidates can be inducted.

In this week's edition of the NFList, we put ourselves in the shoes of the selection committee and selected our top 10 most deserving modern-era candidates for the Hall's Class of 2010. (LeBeau and Little were not considered in this exercise.) The PFW editors submitted their individual top 10 votes, which were consolidated into the following consensus list:

1. WR Jerry Rice — Rice's r้sum้ ... no, a player as accomplished as Rice doesn't need a r้sum้. Instead, let's talk about why he'll be a first-ballot inductee. For starters, no receiver has scored more touchdowns (208). He holds the NFL records for receptions (1,549) and yards (22,895). He made the NFL's All-Decade team for the 1980s and 1990s, and he helped the 49ers to three Super Bowl titles, earning MVP honors in Super Bowl XXIII after catching 11 passes for 215 yards and one TD in a 20-16 win over Cincinnati. The greatest receiver of his era, Rice can get started on his induction speech.

2. RB Emmitt Smith — The NFL's all-time leading rusher, Smith is another slam-dunk pick. Selected with a pick acquired in the infamous Herschel Walker trade, Smith helped lead the Cowboys to three Super Bowl titles, and he earned MVP honors in Super Bowl XXVIII when he rushed for 132 yards and a pair of TDs in a 30-13 win over Buffalo. From 1991-95, he won the rushing title four times. Was the NFL MVP in 1993.

3. Head coach Don Coryell — Coryell led turnarounds of the Cardinals and Chargers, leading St. Louis to NFC Eastern Division titles in 1974 and '75 and the Chargers to the top of the AFC Western Division from 1979-81. He is regarded as one of the foremost innovators of the passing game and had a tremendous influence on many notable coaches, including Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs, who was an assistant under Coryell. The Chargers' "Air Coryell" offense led the NFL in passing six years in a row.

4. DE Richard Dent —The MVP of the Bears' tour de force in Super Bowl XX, Dent was one of the more ferocious pass rushers of his time. He notched 137ฝ career sacks, third-most in NFL history at the time of his retirement.

5. WR Cris Carter — A model of consistency, Carter caught 70 or more passes 10 times, with a career-best 122 receptions in both 1994 and '95. Named to the NFL's All-Decade team of the 1990s, few have ever been more reliable targets than Carter.

6. WR Tim Brown — Brown played 16 seasons with the Raiders and holds the club record for receptions (1,070) and yards (14,734). He also was a very good punt returner, earning Pro Bowl nods twice for his work on special teams, in addition to seven Pro Bowl trips as a receiver.

7. TE Shannon Sharpe — Sharpe was a unique talent — as much wide receiver as tight end. A key part of three Super Bowl-winning teams — two in Denver and one in Baltimore — Sharpe made eight Pro Bowls.

8. WR Andre Reed — Was Jim Kelly's go-to target on the Bills' four AFC-title winning teams of the 1990s and was known for adding yards after the catch. His 13 seasons with 50 or more catches, including nine consecutive, is exceeded by only Jerry Rice.

9. DT John Randle — Randle was a pass-rushing force in the middle of the Vikings' line throughout the 1990s. He had nine seasons with 10-plus sacks, and his 137ฝ sacks is an impressive total for an interior lineman.

10. DT Cortez Kennedy — An eight-time Pro Bowler, Kennedy earned NFL Defensive Player of the Year honors on a 2-14 Seattle club in 1992. Played in 167 of a possible 176 games.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...iest-inductees
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Can't argue with Jerry Rice and Emmit Smith being ahead of Sharpe, and you could make a case for Tim Brown and Richard Dent, I suppose. But no way should Coryell or Carter be ahead of him on the list -- Sharpe was the all-time leading tight end in several categories when he retired, and was a key component of three superbowl champions -- oh yeah, and had 8 pro bowls besides.

But why do I get the feeling that Denver's gonna get screwed again....?
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

**** Richard Dent and Don Coryell being listed ahead of Sharpe.
Bronco LB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I highly doubt 3 WR's get in this year, let alone two. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised to see Denver screwed again.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

If you put Coryell into the HOF, you are paving the way for Buddy Ryan and Lebeau.

Then what's the standard for putting coaches in the HOF?
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

I see Rice as the only WR to get in, this year. That opens the door for Sharpe to get in...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
brother love
Pro Bowler

Don't forget that Sharpe also blocked for 2 different 2000 yard rushers.
brother love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:03 AM   #8
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
The Moops
Old School Dude

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Relax, if Sharpe doesn't get in this year he will get in next year. This generation of players think that if they don't get in their first 3-4 years that they have been snubbed.

Ask 44 what it's like to be snubbed . . . waiting 30 years!

PS: I would put Andre Reed ahead of Cris Carter, he average a whole yard more per catch and played in 4 Supes to Carter's 0.
The Moops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
extralife
Ring of Famer

Rice is "the best receiver of his generation." Way to go out on a limb, there.

How about "best football player of all time."
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post

I dunno guys like Berry and Largent sure worked hard at their craft.

I shutter when people start saying one dude is the best football player of all time. Hard to compare a Berry or Maynard in their day and age to Rice at WR let alone saying one dude at WR was the best ever.

If you want to go best ever football player I would stop consideration before specialization took hold. Guys like a Bronco Nagurski or Jim Thorpe someone who played both O and D deserve that kind of title not a WR.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
The Moops
Old School Dude

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'd say Sammy Baugh is the best football player of all time. Played 16 seasons (1937-52) back when most guys played about 5-7 tops. Led NFL in completion percentage 9 times, was a defensive all star and was the best punter by far of his generation. No one could sling it like Sammy . . .
Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #13
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I dunno guys like Berry and Largent sure worked hard at their craft.

I shutter when people start saying one dude is the best football player of all time. Hard to compare a Berry or Maynard in their day and age to Rice at WR let alone saying one dude at WR was the best ever.

If you want to go best ever football player I would stop consideration before specialization took hold. Guys like a Bronco Nagurski or Jim Thorpe someone who played both O and D deserve that kind of title not a WR.
It's not about saying whether or not Jerry Rice is the best football player of all time--it's about not wasting words by setting up something as controversial, important, or insightful, and then paying it off with something like "Jerry Rice is the best receiver of his generation" that not one single person that knows what NFL stands for would disagree with.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:33 AM   #14
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatFan View Post
Can't argue with Jerry Rice and Emmit Smith being ahead of Sharpe, and you could make a case for Tim Brown and Richard Dent, I suppose. But no way should Coryell or Carter be ahead of him on the list -- Sharpe was the all-time leading tight end in several categories when he retired, and was a key component of three superbowl champions -- oh yeah, and had 8 pro bowls besides.

But why do I get the feeling that Denver's gonna get screwed again....?
i agree completely. Sharpe changed the what the TE position was. he was the best at his position for the majority of his career. Sad thing is, had he played most of his career in a place like Baltimore with a 2 year layover in Denver he would have been a 1st ballot hall of famer, but since it is the other way, there is a solid chance he gets ****ed again.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:58 AM   #15
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

I normally don't care if any Chargers make the HOF or not. (I like to see those deserving go in regardless of what team they played for) LT is probably the only one I would get upset about if he didn't make it (but he's a lock). But Coryell is one person who I'd really like to see go in based on his career and his influence on his coaching tree and the passing game today.

I'm surprised to see him ranked that high on that list though. I didn't think his chances were good to make it since he's been overlooked for so long. His health is very poor these days so it would also be nice to see him get in while he is still alive.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:49 AM   #16
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moops View Post
Relax, if Sharpe doesn't get in this year he will get in next year. This generation of players think that if they don't get in their first 3-4 years that they have been snubbed.
What?? This isn't just a matter of him being the best TE to ever play the game when he retired, it's also a matter of the Broncos being one of the elite franchise's, going to 6 SB's, winning two, becoming one of the most successful franchise's and he was one of the main contributors, and you say relax?

Hell Buffalo who never won SB has, 5 members from those 4 losing years, even friggin SD and the Oilers/Titans who have merely had periods of being good and have never done a damn thing theoretically have 7 players each. Denver has 2 (not including the players on any of these teams that played the majority of their career somewhere else) and 1 of those played half his career somewhere else, but was instrumental in the first SB victory. Relax, this is a matter of respect. This isn't a matter of Sharpe being snubbed, it's a matter of the Broncos being snubbed overall.

Last edited by gunns; 01-21-2010 at 05:57 AM..
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:51 AM   #17
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post

You can't say best football player of all time, please. There are too many positions. Yes I would have to say best receiver of his generation and possibly of all time, but you can't say best football player.

That belongs to John Elway
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #18
The Moops
Old School Dude

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Just saying Sharpe will get in absolutely. If not this year, next or the following year. He won't have to wait too long. The Hall is full of legends who didn't get in first or second try. Also, I wouldn't say Sharpe is the best tight end of all time. That would be John Mackey and don't throw a bunch of stats at me . . .
Old 01-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #19
The Moops
Old School Dude

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

But . . . I do agree the Broncos as a franchise have been snubbed BIG TIME.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #20
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
I'd say Sammy Baugh is the best football player of all time. Played 16 seasons (1937-52) back when most guys played about 5-7 tops. Led NFL in completion percentage 9 times, was a defensive all star and was the best punter by far of his generation. No one could sling it like Sammy . . .
Quote for truth
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #21
Elway's Pigeon Toes
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
If you put Coryell into the HOF, you are paving the way for Buddy Ryan and Lebeau.

Then what's the standard for putting coaches in the HOF?
Agreed. How the hell is a coach who never coached in a Super Bowl let alone won one up for the HOF?
Elway's Pigeon Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:28 AM   #22
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
Just saying Sharpe will get in absolutely. If not this year, next or the following year. He won't have to wait too long. The Hall is full of legends who didn't get in first or second try. Also, I wouldn't say Sharpe is the best tight end of all time. That would be John Mackey and don't throw a bunch of stats at me . . .
Every tight end in the Hall of Fame has had to wait at least three years to get inducted.
Bronco LB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:39 AM   #23
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB52 View Post
Every tight end in the Hall of Fame has had to wait at least three years to get inducted.
awesome outlook on life. just compare yourself to what everyone else did, regardless of what you deserve.

tell that to tony gonzalez when he's a first ballot HoF'er with ZERO championships.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #24
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
awesome outlook on life. just compare yourself to what everyone else did, regardless of what you deserve.

tell that to tony gonzalez when he's a first ballot HoF'er with ZERO championships.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #25
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Coryell in before Dan Reeves is a travesty.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote