The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Paige: Broncos — Expect 8-8 season

Paige: Broncos — Expect 8-8 season

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/17/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Josh McDaniels does not read The Denver Post, but Mark Thewes, Dr. Watson to the head coach, will, as usual, tell McD what this column proclaims today, and he won't like it. No shot, Sherlock.

The Broncos will finish 8-8 in 2010.

Same as 2009 and 2008.

And the Broncos' record over five seasons will be 40 up, 40 down.

In 2K10 the Broncos will play their first regular-season game on foreign soil.

The Broncos also will play six games against this season's playoff teams. In a reversal of 2009, they will win at home against the usual AFC West suspects and lose to the three on the road. The Broncos will end up 6-2 in Denver, beating, also, Houston (and Rick Dennison), Seattle and St. Louis. They will fall at The Big IF @Mile High to Indianapolis and the New York Jets.

The Broncos will prevail in the neutral-site game over there over the 49ers. But the road will be long and winding — with defeats in Jacksonville, Tennessee and Baltimore, but a victory in Arizona.

However, the most important upcoming Grudge Match — mark it on your calendar — is in 2013 when the Broncos host the Redskins.

Guess who's coming back?

A beaming Mike Shanahan walked up and said hello at his new restaurant the other night. He had agreed to coach in Washington.

The Mastermind/Master Chef looked tanned, rested and ready.

(Shanny would be tan if he spent the past year in Antarctica marching with the penguins.)

He also is rested after a season away from football and ready to return somewhere else. He could have taken over the Redskins last spring, but chose to utilize his sabbatical to study player and coaching personnel, bring his offensive philosophies up to date (by visiting Bill Belichick — oddly — and Urban Meyer), spend time with his wife, Peggy, improve his golf game in Colorado, Mexico and Nevada and move into his new house.

Now he's putting together a staff, including Broncos running backs assistant Bobby Turner as his associate coach, son Kyle as his offensive coordinator, longtime NFL head coach Jim Haslett as his defensive coordinator and Lou Spanos (late of the Steelers) as linebackers coach. They could be joined by former Broncos assistants Steve Watson, Pat McPherson and Bob Slowik, and Shanahan will retrain three to four Washington assistants.

Shanahan will switch the Redskins' defense to a 3-4, jettison Clint Portis, sign a free-agent running back and a veteran backup quarterback (Jeff Garcia) and select with the fourth overall pick in the draft a quarterback (Jimmy Clausen or Sam Bradford) or an offensive tackle (Russell Okung or Trent Williams).

A recent question in The Post sports section asked which coach would win the Super Bowl first — McDaniels or Shanahan? The responses overwhelming favored Shana- han (which probably was more of an indictment of McDaniels).

Neither coach will get to XLV. The Redskins, who beat the Broncos this season, will have a 2010 schedule more difficult than the Broncos' — featuring the three NFC East teams twice each (two reached the postseason) and games against the Packers, Vikings and Colts — and a road game in Chicago (hello, Jay).

Shanahan could win eight games, but he won't have to return to England. He was the offensive coordinator with the 1987 Broncos, who played their first exhibition in a foreign country — in London's old

Wembley Stadium (since replaced). I have followed them to six foreign countries.

The most intriguing games were: 1992, the Broncos lost to the Dolphins in Berlin's Olympic Stadium (site of the 1936 Olympics), kid QB Tommy Maddox started his first game against Dan Marino, and I sat in Hitler's luxury box; 1995, John Elway vs. Joe Montana, briefly, Tokyo's Eggdome; 1997, Elway tore his right biceps in Mexico City, and the immediate fear was he would never play again, but he no longer was in pain, and the Broncos went on to win their first Super Bowl; 1999, the Broncos and the Chargers played in the first (and only) American football game in Sydney's newly opened Stadia Olympic.

The closest most of the Broncos have gotten to England would be fish and chips. Cornerback Andre Goodman played for the Dolphins at new Wembley in 2007, but safety Renaldo Hill, also with Miami then, was placed on injured reserve the week of the game with a knee injury.

The Broncos should visit the London Dungeon attraction the night before Halloween to see Jack The Ripper, Sweeney Todd and The Great Fire.

Let's hope that Halloween isn't as frightful for the Broncos as five of their six other Oct. 31 games — including a 45-10 drubbing by the Jets in 1965 and a 55-23 defeat at Indianapolis in 1988, or as scary as another game against San Francisco — 55-10 in Super Bowl XXIV.

The Bangers-and-Mash Clash will be a curious incident. And the 2010 season will be peculiar for the Broncos, McDaniels and Shanahan, my dear Thewes.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14208449
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Thats fine - I expected a 3 and 13 season last year and was happily surprised.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Woody Paige? HA.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Gob
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

McDaniels will find a way to lower expectations during the offseason again so everyone says "8-8? He should get coach of the year!"
Gob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

i expected 6-10. my hopes were raised at 6-0. i am disappointed we went 2-8 at the end.

i believe we will go 10-6 next year, god willing and the draft goes well.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Woody said we'd go undefeated the year the wheels came off.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

woody is a retard. he said 3 wins last year. by taht logic, add 5 wins, 13 wins this year!
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

I think Woody really misses Shanahan more the anyone else. It's like Bowlen and McD flushed his life down the toilet.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

woody needs to stay off the alcohol!!
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Isn't it a little premature to predict next year? according to tradition we will be replacing anywhere between 30 and 50% of the roster as well as several coaching positions.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #11
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gob View Post
mcdaniels will find a way to lower expectations during the offseason again so everyone says "8-8? He should get coach of the year!"
wtf
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Isn't it a little premature to predict next year? according to tradition we will be replacing anywhere between 30 and 50% of the roster as well as several coaching positions.
yep good point. am an optimist i guess
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
Gob
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
wtf
What are we "wtf"ing about? That expectations for 2009 lowered somewhere between McDaniels hiring and the beginning of the season, or that McDaniels had something to do with it, or something else?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #14
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob View Post
What are we "wtf"ing about? That expectations for 2009 lowered somewhere between McDaniels hiring and the beginning of the season, or that McDaniels had something to do with it, or something else?
He probably wants to know wtf you think you're fooling with your "I'm a new poster!" routine.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #15
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

I expected and 8-8 season and got one in 2009

it sucked
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #16
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
He probably wants to know wtf you think you're fooling with your "I'm a new poster!" routine.
Too funny.

I'll give BF7 credit for at least making up his ghost before he accepted our bet. (But after I offered it)

That at least shows a little creativity. Problem is, his opinions and biases show right through.

Wonder if Taco can do an IP check. They out ghosts all the time on another vbulletin board I post at using IP checks so I know it's possible with the software.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #17
Gob
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Aside from having a new account, what routine did I put up?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #18
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post

Wonder if Taco can do an IP check. They out ghosts all the time on another vbulletin board I post at using IP checks so I know it's possible with the software.

It's a fresh IP address, new to our database.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #19
Gob
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Too funny.

I'll give BF7 credit for at least making up his ghost before he accepted our bet. (But after I offered it)

That at least shows a little creativity. Problem is, his opinions and biases show right through.

Seriously? Come on now, my opinions and biases are much more sophisticated then that.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #20
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
It's a fresh IP address, new to our database.
Fair enough then.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #21
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob View Post
Seriously? Come on now, my opinions and biases are much more sophisticated then that.
Well....If you are BF7, I've got one simple request:

Can you post your picks for the championship games next week?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #22
Gob
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Well....If you are BF7, I've got one simple request:

Can you post your picks for the championship games next week?
Doesn't he just take the favorites every time? If so, I will go with the Colts and the Saints.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #23
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
I expected and 8-8 season and got one in 2009

it sucked
FAG Expect 8-8 again until lines and qb is upgraded.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #24
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
FAG Expect 8-8 again until lines and qb is upgraded.
not sure why you felt the need to call him a fag. 8-8 did suck but it could definitely be worse in a young HCs first year.

you got it right as far as the lines go, they need to be upgraded on both sides before anything else.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:30 PM   #25
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
not sure why you felt the need to call him a fag. 8-8 did suck but it could definitely be worse in a young HCs first year.

you got it right as far as the lines go, they need to be upgraded on both sides before anything else.
it's a inside joke plus he's a jealous queen
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote