The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default Level of tender will determine Broncos' compensation

Today's Broncos question comes from Wayne Bobby:

Q: I realize teams will have the right to match the offers of this year's restricted free agents. However, if a current team doesn't match the offer and the player moves on, does the new team have to send draft picks to the team losing the player?

A: Wayne, the new team would.

The first step in the process, however, is the player's current team getting to set the level of one-year contract the player is tendered.

There are four levels of tender offers for restricted free agents, and teams set the level for each player.
If they don't tender an offer to the player, they won't get compensation for him.

There is the "low" tender, which is the right to match any offer the player gets. If the offer is not matched, the current team would get a draft pick equal to the player's original draft pick.

If the player was originally a third-round draft pick and had been tendered at this level, the team would receive a third-round draft pick as compensation.

The low tender this season would have a one-year salary of roughly $1.3 million attached for the 2010 season.

The "middle" tender would be the right to match any offer or a second-round pick as compensation. That would come with roughly a $1.8 million.

A "high" tender would be the right to match and a first-round pick as compensation. The one-year salary with this tender would be roughly $2.5 million.

The highest tender would include the right to match to go with first- and third-round picks as compensation. This one would come with a one-year salary of about $3.04 million.

The Broncos have several high-profile restricted free agents, including quarterback Kyle Orton, wide receiver Brandon Marshall, guard Chris Kuper, outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil and tight end Tony Scheffler.

Of that group, Dumervil is likely the top priority in terms of trying to get something long-term done. Orton is likely facing a one-year deal, so the Broncos can take another season to look at their quarterback situation.

The Broncos are expected to try to trade Marshall before he receives any offer sheet, but all of those players will be tendered at one of the four levels in the days before free agency opens March 5.

But just how badly the team wants to keep them all will be shown in what level they were tendered at.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_1419717...#ixzz0chd2GIEJ
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

When you do the low tender you can not recieve more than a 2nd round pick regardless if the player was drafted in the 1st round.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Orton - sign him to a 2 year deal
Doom - sign him to a long term deal
Kuper - sign him to a long term deal
Scheffler - low tender - work a trade, I doubt anyone's parting with a 2nd rounder for him
Marshall - highest tender - Brandon doesn't want to play for $3MM next year is incentive to find another team
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

I agree with everything you said except Orton to a two year contract How about 1 yr deal!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Scheffler - low tender - work a trade, I doubt anyone's parting with a 2nd rounder for him
Marshall - highest tender - Brandon doesn't want to play for $3MM next year is incentive to find another team
i agree to a point. I would simply keep Orton here 1 more year under the tender of getting 1st round compensation for him, if soome other team decides to pursue him. i would play him all next season and near the end of next season decide whether or not he is the guy. if he is, great give him a long term deal, if he isn't, find the guy and let him go.

and with Scheffler, i doubt we ever tender him. he has no role in this offense and isn't wanted here. by tendering him, we run the risk of him remaining in Denver another year and that leads to the possibility of him being a cancer to the team and locker room.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

If my memory serves me correct you can only use one of low, high, highest "tenders" correct? We couldn't put the highest tender on both Marshall and Doom could we?
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Is this a multiple choice Quiz?
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
If my memory serves me correct you can only use one of low, high, highest "tenders" correct? We couldn't put the highest tender on both Marshall and Doom could we?
You can use as many as you want of each.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
You can use as many as you want of each.
u sure about that?
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
u sure about that?
Absolutely.

In 2008 the Cowboys put the 2nd round tender on 4 different players at once.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
UboBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i agree to a point. I would simply keep Orton here 1 more year under the tender of getting 1st round compensation for him, if soome other team decides to pursue him. i would play him all next season and near the end of next season decide whether or not he is the guy. if he is, great give him a long term deal, if he isn't, find the guy and let him go.

and with Scheffler, i doubt we ever tender him. he has no role in this offense and isn't wanted here. by tendering him, we run the risk of him remaining in Denver another year and that leads to the possibility of him being a cancer to the team and locker room.
you tender everyone you can. I believe that the tender applies to base salary only, so you can release them at anytime without and salary cap hit, though that may not be a situation this year with the collective agreement expiring. That way you find out if anyone is interested in them, and get something for them.

At least that is how I understand the situation.
UboBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:46 AM   #12
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
u sure about that?
Yes. You're thinking about franchise and transition tags. But this year every team is getting three franchise tags because the CBA stipulates it in an uncapped year.

So basically anyone remotely good isn't going to be available in unrestricted free agency. You have to trade for guys or sign them off RFA tenders/franchise tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
That is probably about right, though I think Kuper will get the high tender (not the highest) in case a deal doesn't come together, same with Orton. Doom obviously gets the highest tender which will be worthless since they'll pay him before FA even opens.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:04 AM   #13
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

As much as I like Chris Kuper, the player, if I was the GM of this team I would not be investing in a long-term contract until I was 100% sure we were getting the best out of this young talent in the current offensive system.

The current market situation gives every team the option to utilise this 'free year' as such. Technically there's no cap and each of the Broncos young talented uncontracted players basically cannot move on unless the Broncos want them to, or they're stupid enough to undervalue them in RFA (See Myers and Shanahan as an example).

Also remember if you do sign a player to a long-term good money deal, they are far harder to trade or get value for if they dont work out as you'd hoped within the system you use.

The one year tenders put Denver in pole position especially for players like Chris, Kyle and Tony.

Marshall and Dumervil are a different matter entirely cos IMHO the Broncos would value both at or higher than 1st and 3rd rd compensation so something different will have to happen there in terms of B-Marsh being dealt before RFA and Dumervil being extended.

So whilst this works in a teams favour of keeping their own players it also does not help a team like ourselves in transition, because it's going to cost a lot more to get any 4-6 year players from other teams we'd previously targetted, it'll basically come down to our own players improving in the systems, adding through the 2010 draft, adding an aging vet or 2 and this year more than ever how much Bowlen supports his young coach from a financial viewpoint.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote