The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default I sent crazyhorse a PM, but I just decided to make it a thread.

I sent this to crazy, but I figured I'd put it on the forum in case anyone might have ever been in the same situation.

I'd like to know more about what happened. I might not have been frequenting the board at the time... I was going to start a new thread, but I felt it more appropriate because I went through something similar.

Last November, I went in for a routine physical and my blood pressure was 136/92 - very high for someone my age, so not really thinking much on it (yet) the doctor wanted to prescribe Lisinopril (I'm sure you're familiar with the drug as it's used to control pulmonary hypertension) - which I started taking.

Then he had his nurse run an EKG - the EKG showed Right Ventricular Hypertrophy - a fatal heart disease associated with Pulmonary Fibrosis. Basically I was convinced that I had a year to live - although I didn't want to tell anyone until I knew for sure.

Test after test followed. I had ultrasounds done. Thyroid function = optimal. Kidney function = optimal. Liver = Fine. Sodium/Potassium balance = fine. HIV = negative. Blood Pressure = Normal, but prehypertensive. Lung cancer = negative. (I'm 5'7" 160 with very little body fat.)

The Doctor said he was baffled - that RVH only happens in old people, or people with pulmonary fibrosis caused by HIV or Rheumatoid Arthritis. I had no symptoms, but tests don't lie.

This is where I asked my mom to start thinking about planning my funeral. I was depressed, but it really made me think a lot. I won't get into that, but things just seemed real, but at the same time I was thinking about missed opportunities. I came to terms with mortality at 24, which is not something a kid should have to do.

He referred me to a cardiologist, and this is the kicker. The cardiologist couldn't schedule anything for weeks, and when the time finally came to see him, he cancelled until mid-January. Luckily, I found out that a friend of the family, Dr. Timothy Leavitt, is a cardiologist at Lutheran in Wheat Ridge... he agreed to see me that Friday (this was last Friday).

He looked at my last EKG test results for about one second, and is like, "well we can't count this."

"Why not?"

"The lead on your right ventrical was placed on backwards."

"What does that mean?"

"Well, the results are upside down. If i flip the sheet, the reading is normal. Let's run another EKG."

He did. It showed optimal heart function. At the visit, my blood pressure was a little high (he checked it at 130/80), but before leaving, he checked again and it was 117/78. He checked my blood, and said aside from having testosterone and adrenaline levels that were a little high, everything checked out. He said I have whitecoat hypertension, and I can plan on having a long life. (Exact words.)

This was the most stressing two months of my life. I can't even imagine what you're going through.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

So.. do you want a hug?
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #3
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTribbey View Post
So.. do you want a hug?
Aren't you in the chair force?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
BroncosinDC
Now Live From Baltimore!

True Men have Facial Hair

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

Glad you are good Nate. And here I was stressing about the Broncos.
BroncosinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:50 AM   #5
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Someone should be getting their ass kicked after that little episode.

Glad you're safe though!
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:50 AM   #6
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

High testosterone. I think Broncofan7 has told us that many of times about that "problem". I think you need to kick your doctor in the nutsack a few times.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post
Says the guy from the Gay-vy.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:54 AM   #8
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTribbey View Post
Says the guy from the Gay-vy.
Not anymore... I traded my fade for long hair, my shipmates for fraternity brothers, and GQ training for classes on political theory.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #9
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Old 01-15-2010, 01:04 AM   #10
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

I blame McDaniels for the EKG screwup.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:56 AM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Wow what a great opportunity for you my friend. Think about it and I think you will agree.

Being 41 myself its often hard to remember how exactly it feels to be 23-25. I will say this though that I was probably in mid 30's before I learned how precious time is, how fragile life is, and how time you waste you never get back.

Go out there are attack life like someone with a yr to live. Take chances, work hard, and use this wakeup call to motivate yourself. Set some crazy goals, then just suck up life and go crush those goals like a madman given a 2nd chance at life.

Even though you were never in danger you thought you were. It was real to you as anything could be. IMO you have been given a great gift. Don't be angry with the first doctor, just look at it like he showed how much you have to look forward to.

And yes Crazyhorse is the man. He fought hard and even though I have never met him I have a good feeling his a man of honor and someone I would really respect.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:59 AM   #12
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
I sent this to crazy, but I figured I'd put it on the forum in case anyone might have ever been in the same situation.

I'd like to know more about what happened. I might not have been frequenting the board at the time... I was going to start a new thread, but I felt it more appropriate because I went through something similar.

Last November, I went in for a routine physical and my blood pressure was 136/92 - very high for someone my age, so not really thinking much on it (yet) the doctor wanted to prescribe Lisinopril (I'm sure you're familiar with the drug as it's used to control pulmonary hypertension) - which I started taking.

Then he had his nurse run an EKG - the EKG showed Right Ventricular Hypertrophy - a fatal heart disease associated with Pulmonary Fibrosis. Basically I was convinced that I had a year to live - although I didn't want to tell anyone until I knew for sure.

Test after test followed. I had ultrasounds done. Thyroid function = optimal. Kidney function = optimal. Liver = Fine. Sodium/Potassium balance = fine. HIV = negative. Blood Pressure = Normal, but prehypertensive. Lung cancer = negative. (I'm 5'7" 160 with very little body fat.)

The Doctor said he was baffled - that RVH only happens in old people, or people with pulmonary fibrosis caused by HIV or Rheumatoid Arthritis. I had no symptoms, but tests don't lie.

This is where I asked my mom to start thinking about planning my funeral. I was depressed, but it really made me think a lot. I won't get into that, but things just seemed real, but at the same time I was thinking about missed opportunities. I came to terms with mortality at 24, which is not something a kid should have to do.

He referred me to a cardiologist, and this is the kicker. The cardiologist couldn't schedule anything for weeks, and when the time finally came to see him, he cancelled until mid-January. Luckily, I found out that a friend of the family, Dr. Timothy Leavitt, is a cardiologist at Lutheran in Wheat Ridge... he agreed to see me that Friday (this was last Friday).

He looked at my last EKG test results for about one second, and is like, "well we can't count this."

"Why not?"

"The lead on your right ventrical was placed on backwards."

"What does that mean?"

"Well, the results are upside down. If i flip the sheet, the reading is normal. Let's run another EKG."

He did. It showed optimal heart function. At the visit, my blood pressure was a little high (he checked it at 130/80), but before leaving, he checked again and it was 117/78. He checked my blood, and said aside from having testosterone and adrenaline levels that were a little high, everything checked out. He said I have whitecoat hypertension, and I can plan on having a long life. (Exact words.)

This was the most stressing two months of my life. I can't even imagine what you're going through.
Glad you are okay.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:04 AM   #13
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Glad you are OK Nate. What an experience for you that must have been, not to mention a relief for your parents and family. Sounds like you've been on quite the magic carpet ride.

Last edited by Taco John; 01-15-2010 at 02:07 AM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #14
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Yeah, them's Navy words from a man to another man.... good point.

Glad you're okay. Sounds to me like you a owe a Dr a verbal beat down for putting you through that crap for the past two months. I'd make the original tester feel like shiat for that one.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:11 AM   #15
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Wow, that was a lot of stress for a 24 year old. Your poor mom. While I agree that the first Dr's mistakes gave you a new perspective on life, his actions could have done a lot more damage. I can't imagine what that stress did to your blood pressure, not to mention if they had started a course of action that may have put you in jeopardy. Really glad to hear things turned out for the best.

Oh yeah, Air Force rules!
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:16 AM   #16
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Wow what a great opportunity for you my friend. Think about it and I think you will agree.

Being 41 myself its often hard to remember how exactly it feels to be 23-25. I will say this though that I was probably in mid 30's before I learned how precious time is, how fragile life is, and how time you waste you never get back.

Go out there are attack life like someone with a yr to live. Take chances, work hard, and use this wakeup call to motivate yourself. Set some crazy goals, then just suck up life and go crush those goals like a madman given a 2nd chance at life.

Even though you were never in danger you thought you were. It was real to you as anything could be. IMO you have been given a great gift. Don't be angry with the first doctor, just look at it like he showed how much you have to look forward to.

And yes Crazyhorse is the man. He fought hard and even though I have never met him I have a good feeling his a man of honor and someone I would really respect.
In other words live like you were dying. Good post Cutt.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #17
crawdad
IL Oldest Bronco Maniac

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

Good story Nate and CTD has a good idea! I am glad that you are okay! Like someone else said, I think the Doc deserves a kick in the nutsack for this crap!
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:35 AM   #18
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Good story man. I don't know you, but that effin' sucks. I agree that whoever gave you the BS news at first deserves a nice kick in the nuts.

Royal: Richie, this illness, this closeness to death... it's had a profound affect on me. I feel like a different person, I really do.
Richie: Dad, you were never dying.
Royal: ...but I'm gonna live!
Old 01-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #19
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Glad to hear you are okay!! Now go get a new doctor
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:45 AM   #20
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

You know what they call the guy who graduated last in medical class?

Doctor. (Yours apparently)
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #21
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

House would of found that right off the bat......
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #22
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Holy **** if my doctor does that to me he better be able to pick up his own teeth from the floor with broken fingers - that kind of screwup is reason for a major asskicking.

Nothing will help you bounce back like a little closure, preferably delivered in the form of a right hook.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #23
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

That's horrible. The doctor convinced you were dying because he had the friggin' chart upside down?
Pick Six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #24
jhat01
Ring of Famer

Knuckle Dragging Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Glad to hear you are okay!! Now go get a new doctor
Yeah no ****...My wife just had her knee scoped and the Dr made her initial on the knee that was messed up. That's what it's come to. It's sad that simple mistakes like that can screw people up.
jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #25
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Glad to hear you are ok. I cant even picture how stressful that would be.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote