The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,481

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default A Running Orange Mane Consensus Mock Draft

We're going to do something a little new this year that I'd like to get on everyone's maps. We've done this before, but it hasn't been structured. This year, I'd like to structure it a little more, and promote it. Once I set the ball in motion, I'm hoping that we can get a volunteer to help run and moderate this.

It's basically a mock draft, but instead of 32 people picking 32 teams and acting as faux representatives for that team, when each pick comes up, there is an extended discussion about the players and the team needs for that spot. And whether or not a team has the need or ability to jump to that spot - though that typically doesn't happen in a consensus draft.

The first one will start on February 1, at 9am PST / 12pm EST, and will follow this schedule:

February 1
March 1
April 5
April 12
April 19

We will then post the results to the front page as part of our "official" content: "The Orange Mane Consensus Mock Draft - February 2010"
(We will have the upgrade to the vBulletin Publisher's suite this offseason, with a huge face lift happening to the front page).

The goal is to get through the first round, but people are willing to take the draft as far as they would like to.


To get an idea of how this goes, you can check out this thread where we successfully nailed it as far as Denver's pick was concerned (Jay Cutler).
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,427

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Sounds good to me. St Louis takes Suh.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
NFLBRONCO's Avatar
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 8,041
Default

Cool we can give KC and Oak a P or K woo hoo
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer
 
ColoradoBuff's Avatar
 
In Manning We Trust......

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where the buffalo roam....
Posts: 2,131

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default

are we still going to do the Mocks like last year?
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,481

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBuff View Post
are we still going to do the Mocks like last year?

This doesn't pre-empt them at all. I'm sure that there is going to be that type of draft this year as well, though it will really depend, like always, on someone taking the initiative to do it. I don't recall who did it last year.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer
 
ColoradoBuff's Avatar
 
In Manning We Trust......

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where the buffalo roam....
Posts: 2,131

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
This doesn't pre-empt them at all. I'm sure that there is going to be that type of draft this year as well, though it will really depend, like always, on someone taking the initiative to do it. I don't recall who did it last year.

Thanks!
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,967

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
This doesn't pre-empt them at all. I'm sure that there is going to be that type of draft this year as well, though it will really depend, like always, on someone taking the initiative to do it. I don't recall who did it last year.
JCMElway ran 1 and Kaylore the other, I believe
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,220

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

i like the idea, but i loved the mock draft with the faux representatives. I hope JCM takes charge again because it was a blast and really helped me study up on my college ball.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!
 
brncs_fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The Coaches Cradle...Eastern Illinois University
Posts: 5,375

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
i like the idea, but i loved the mock draft with the faux representatives. I hope jcm takes charge again because it was a blast and really helped me study up on my college ball.
+1
brncs_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,481

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
i like the idea, but i loved the mock draft with the faux representatives. I hope JCM takes charge again because it was a blast and really helped me study up on my college ball.
Those drafts usually happen closer to April when people are well studied up.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,481

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

One week until the first consensus Mock draft!
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,069

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Those drafts usually happen closer to April when people are well studied up.
Actually, they start right after the combine because it has taken so LOOOONG for people to pick in the past. I really might think about running one this year with some very different rules and starting later than usual. Something along the lines of doing a real weekend draft with actual time limits similar to the real draft. These have just been way too long of a process the last few years. This would limit those participating obviously, but would be a a lot of fun to those with the time and effort to do it IMHO. I think we could do this in addition to the types we have run in the past. I think it would be added value and much closer to the real draft and after the pro-days.

I will start a thread once I can really scope the details with some people.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #13
JCMElway
Moderate-erator
 
JCMElway's Avatar
 
Dominate!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,253

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
i like the idea, but i loved the mock draft with the faux representatives. I hope JCM takes charge again because it was a blast and really helped me study up on my college ball.
I'm down to help out again with moderating it again this year. Thanks for the props!
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer
 
ColoradoBuff's Avatar
 
In Manning We Trust......

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where the buffalo roam....
Posts: 2,131

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Actually, they start right after the combine because it has taken so LOOOONG for people to pick in the past. I really might think about running one this year with some very different rules and starting later than usual. Something along the lines of doing a real weekend draft with actual time limits similar to the real draft. These have just been way too long of a process the last few years. This would limit those participating obviously, but would be a a lot of fun to those with the time and effort to do it IMHO. I think we could do this in addition to the types we have run in the past. I think it would be added value and much closer to the real draft and after the pro-days.

I will start a thread once I can really scope the details with some people.

That sounds like a blast!
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,481

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Just a few more days! I can't wait to see how the draft community here figures the first round to go. This is going to be some fun!
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #16
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,069

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Just a few more days! I can't wait to see how the draft community here figures the first round to go. This is going to be some fun!
I'll tell you what, if it starts this early it will not be very accurate after the first 4 picks or so. There are just way too many variables in personnel acquisition right now. Add the possibility of the uncapped season, and all kinds of cost cutting moves by teams flooding FA to fill gaps before the draft will cause a completely different draft environment than in years past.

OTOH, Let's get started
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #17
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,481

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I'll tell you what, if it starts this early it will not be very accurate after the first 4 picks or so. There are just way too many variables in personnel acquisition right now. Add the possibility of the uncapped season, and all kinds of cost cutting moves by teams flooding FA to fill gaps before the draft will cause a completely different draft environment than in years past.

OTOH, Let's get started


I know... But half of the fun of doing a regular consensus draft is to see the movement as players move up and down our official board. By the time we do the last one, it'll be pretty fined tuned!
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #18
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,166
Default

Sounds like fun.
SouthStndJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #19
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer
 
ColoradoBuff's Avatar
 
In Manning We Trust......

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where the buffalo roam....
Posts: 2,131

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default

I'm down but I also agree with Mediator as far as being a lil early! but oh well....
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #20
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBuff View Post
I'm down but I also agree with Mediator as far as being a lil early! but oh well....
Trust me, with how long these things take, by the time that we make it to the end of the first round, things will be much clearer.

Though I remember the year Alan Branch was supposed to go top-10, and someone took him accordingly, then he mysteriously dropped.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 AM   #21
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,069

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Trust me, with how long these things take, by the time that we make it to the end of the first round, things will be much clearer.

Though I remember the year Alan Branch was supposed to go top-10, and someone took him accordingly, then he mysteriously dropped.
It is going to faster than usual since they are going to do 3 different ones it looks like. However, I am going to do a different style one the weekend before the draft
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #22
Arkie
Ring of Famer
 
Arkie's Avatar
 
Say 'what' again, I dare you

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 10,468
Default

Do the Rams go defensive line again?
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #23
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,427

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Works for me. I consider the Combine meaningless anyway.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #24
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,076

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Maybe it's time to take this thread down - lolz
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:12 PM.


Denver Broncos