The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!
 
SoDak Bronco's Avatar
 
Von Miller aka QB Killa

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default Chiefs hiring Romeo Crennel.

It's official: Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis are back together in Kansas City, with the Chiefs hiring Crennel.
3 minutes ago from web
Adam_Schefter
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,000
Default

Gotta give them this... Looks like the cheifs are putting together a pretty good coaching staff.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!
 
SoDak Bronco's Avatar
 
Von Miller aka QB Killa

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Gotta give them this... Looks like the cheifs are putting together a pretty big coaching staff.
corrected that for ya
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #4
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
corrected that for ya
There is a certifiable man boob obsession going on there.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
Wut

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig
Default

Can't really hate too much on having the DC and OC from the Pats Dynasty together on one team. I'm not going to call KC a playoff team, but they're going to be much better next year.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,100

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

And people thought Denver would be Patriots West. I guess not.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
DaFace
Resident Chiefs Lurker
 
DaFace's Avatar
 
Yep.

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Thornton
Posts: 397

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Can't really hate too much on having the DC and OC from the Pats Dynasty together on one team. I'm not going to call KC a playoff team, but they're going to be much better next year.
It's going to take a bit to get our foundation of players in place, so I'm still not that optimistic about next season. Our draft this past year seems to be a bit of a dud, so that doesn't help. Hopefully the input of Weis and Crennel will get things headed in the right direction, though.
DaFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
NYC Bronco
Solid Starter
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 152

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

If we don't get our **** together we will be a 3rd place team. Once Marshall is gone, where are the play makers?
NYC Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #9
Tom A Hawk
Ring of Famer
 
Tom A Hawk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 1,017
Default

I like the move to these experienced coordinators.
Now, what will the draft look like? Lots of holes to fill and lots of losses coming. 2011 might be the year to gain the AFCW back
Tom A Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
DeuceOfClub
 
DeuceOfClub's Avatar
 
SuperBowl

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indian Rocks Beach
Posts: 1,122

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Failey is out by week 8 or at the bye-week (whichever is first)
DeuceOfClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
KCStud
Ring of Famer
 
KCStud's Avatar
 
AmeriStanzi!

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,824

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceOfClub View Post
McDumbass is out by week 8 or at the bye-week (whichever is first) with Nolan being his replacement
Fixed it for ya
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,100

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

The Chiefs might be able to put a pretty good team together - just in time for the move to L.A.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,651

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
And people thought Denver would be Patriots West. I guess not.
When they take the field next season, the Chiefs will have the same defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator and top front-office executive who helped lead New England to three Super Bowl titles during 2002-05.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4821761
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
jhat01
Ring of Famer
 
jhat01's Avatar
 
Knuckle Dragging Homer

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: West River
Posts: 1,860

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
When they take the field next season, the Chiefs will have the same defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator and top front-office executive who helped lead New England to three Super Bowl titles during 2002-05.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4821761
I would be worried if they brought along Tom Brady...Otherwise they still have work to do regarding talent. The names are flashy, but at this point it's only flash. Here's to hoping they don't turn it around!!!
jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #15
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

I think the bidding war between the Pats, Denver, and KC is going to be awesome this off-season.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #16
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
hookemhess's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 928

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon
Default

KC is putting together a solid organization. Once they get an o-line, they should begin to compete.
hookemhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #17
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!
 
SoDak Bronco's Avatar
 
Von Miller aka QB Killa

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
When they take the field next season, the Chiefs will have the same defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator and top front-office executive who helped lead New England to three Super Bowl titles during 2002-05.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4821761
you don't have Tom Brady or Belichek....Hopefully you are dumb enough to think that you destined for success based of the recent hires. You still need to strike it rich on draft picks, and hope that some of the recent players you drafted in the top of the past few drafts start earning their money.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #18
worm
Great moments are born...
 
worm's Avatar
 
...from great opportunity

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,902

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
you don't have Tom Brady or Belichek....Hopefully you are dumb enough to think that you destined for success based of the recent hires. You still need to strike it rich on draft picks, and hope that some of the recent players you drafted in the top of the past few drafts start earning their money.
Kinda like Denver don't you think?
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #19
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
Florida_Bronco's Avatar
 
Coming Back Strong in 2014

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 13,853

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter
Default

Crennel and Weis are pretty good hires, but they're still lagging behind us both in coaching staff and talent.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #20
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter
Default

Coors Light will have to pull their Crennel ad because active NFL personnel are not permitted to endorse alcohol.

Bronco LB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #21
crazyhorse
All Motor!!
 
crazyhorse's Avatar
 
You can only hope to contain me

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
Crennel and Weis are pretty good hires, but they're still lagging behind us both in coaching staff and talent.
Uh huh.

Not many team are "lagging" behind the Broncos. Only a true homer would think so.
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #22
Merlin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
Crennel and Weis are pretty good hires, but they're still lagging behind us both in coaching staff and talent.


It's not even clear we have one good coach, forget a coaching staff. Nolan, who started well, stunk it up in the last 4 games (stats worthy of the previous yr's fiasco). McD has yet to prove anything, in fact, some may reasonably argue that he has proven not to be up to par with avg NFL coaches. Lastly, considering last yr's draft, we may have a FO that is incompetent at drafting. After many yr's of Shanny giving us mediocre drafts (with much worse drafting positions), the FO finally was among the best if not the best in the league in drafts...now we should be content if we are in the 65th percentile, despite having a bounty to draft from. By the time McD and the FO are through with our talent, it is anyone's guess how bad or decent we may be...there is nothing definite about it.

Put down the Kool-Aid. KC has a proven staff, we, conversely, may have a very good staff, but are just as likely to have a truly mediocre staff.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #23
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
Florida_Bronco's Avatar
 
Coming Back Strong in 2014

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 13,853

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Uh huh.

Not many team are "lagging" behind the Broncos. Only a true homer would think so.
It's true, Crazyhorse. Don't let your first win ever at Invesco fool you.

If you want to compare them, well McDaniels first season was far superior to Haley's, and McDaniels comes with a much better resume. Edge goes to McD.

McD made substantial innovations and improvements to the Weis lead offense in New England, and since both are going to be running their respective offenses I'm comparing them directly to one another. Edge again would go to McD although Weis does bring HC experience, albeit at the collegiate level.

Crennel is pretty good, but he was basically Belichick's wingman for running the defense in New England. He's never really had complete control of the defense like Nolan has his entire career, so you basically have to give the egde to Nolan by default.

I'm not trying to dump on the Chiefs, just my honest assesment of the situation. For the record I was really big on bringing Weis here to Denver to help Josh run the offense and I certainly wouldn't have minded if we hired Crennel as our DC when Shanahan was tossed out.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #24
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City
 
ZachKC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 9,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison
Default

Well hm, one coach came in and won 2 more games than the previous year while the other had the same record and they split the series on the season.
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #25
crazyhorse
All Motor!!
 
crazyhorse's Avatar
 
You can only hope to contain me

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
It's true, Crazyhorse. Don't let your first win ever at Invesco fool you.

If you want to compare them, well McDaniels first season was far superior to Haley's, and McDaniels comes with a much better resume. Edge goes to McD.

McD made substantial innovations and improvements to the Weis lead offense in New England, and since both are going to be running their respective offenses I'm comparing them directly to one another. Edge again would go to McD although Weis does bring HC experience, albeit at the collegiate level.

Crennel is pretty good, but he was basically Belichick's wingman for running the defense in New England. He's never really had complete control of the defense like Nolan has his entire career, so you basically have to give the egde to Nolan by default.

I'm not trying to dump on the Chiefs, just my honest assesment of the situation. For the record I was really big on bringing Weis here to Denver to help Josh run the offense and I certainly wouldn't have minded if we hired Crennel as our DC when Shanahan was tossed out.
Its all good.

I was considering other factors. I was thinking McDs 1st year was a total flop. To think the 6-0 start was anything but an fluke is homeristic. By the end of the season you guys couldn't beat anybody. I was under the impression that a team that starts 6-0 yet doesn't make the playoffs was historical failure. Not great coaching. When McD became the OC in NE he had the benefit of new players Weis didn't. Namely, Moss and Welker. The offense looked as good when he left as it did when he was there.

As for talent. Last year I would have agreed with you. This year however, the more they played the worse they got. Which also shows degradation that can be blamed on the coaching staff.

You cant say that your 1st year coaches performed any better than ours did. If you say you have more talented players, then you have to say that your coaches did nothing with it. If you say your coaches are better, then thats saying your players are not. Because by the end of the season, the Chiefs were a better football team than the Broncos. Not because we won a football game at Invesco. But because we were improving. The Broncos were doing the opposite.

Peace.

Good to hear from ya.
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Denver Broncos