The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Default Wilfork/Watson prepare for possible free agency...

Nothing we don't know. Just something to read...

FOXBORO — As the game clock ticked down the final seconds of the Patriots season, Vince Wilfork admitted considering the possibility that he could be playing in a Patriots uniform for the last time. The end of New England’s playoff run means the beginning of the offseason for the Patriots, and the biggest question surrounding the team is what will happen to the All-Pro defensive lineman.

The 28-year-old is eligible to become a free agent next month. There is no question that he will draw interest from many teams in the NFL if he reaches the open market. Wilfork said he talked to his teammates about his situation after being eliminated from the playoffs.

“I told my teammates, I don’t know if this is the last game I play with you or not,” Wilfork said. “But if it is, man, I love you and I’m going to miss you.”

Wilfork spoke at length after the game about several topics. On the subject of his own future, the two-time Pro Bowler admitted that he can see himself putting on a different uniform next season.

“Yes, I can. I surely can,” he confirmed. “This whole process, I did what was best for my family. Family first, and it’s going to be first now.”

Wilfork has played six seasons with the Patriots and has been one of the team’s most consistent faces on the defensive side of the ball. Wilfork has played in 13 or more regular-season games all six years he’s been a Patriot. Rumors swirled before the season started that he would hold out, but he did just the opposite. Wilfork showed up to training camp on time and gave his best all year.

“I could’ve easily been sitting out and wanting my money and trying to prove a point,” Wilfork said. But that’s not me.”

Now, some believe Wilfork could get the franchise tag from the Patriots. Wilfork acknowledged that he would be very upset if the Patriots decided to lock him into the franchise tag and that he’s looking for a long-term deal.

Patriots tight end Ben Watson also is looking at free agency and says he doesn’t know if he wants to be back in New England.

“I don’t know, I’m going to wallow in this misery for a little bit and then talk to the people around me — my family, agent — and see if the Patriots organization wants to have me back,” Watson said. “And if they don’t, there’s so many different possibilities, so we’ll just see how it goes.”

Wilfork and Watson are joined by many other Patriots who will be going into free agency: Kevin Faulk, Jarvis Green, Stephen Neal, Vince Wilfork, Leigh Bodden, Logan Mankins, Derrick Burgess, Pierre Woods, Junior Seau, Gary Guyton, Stephen Gostkowski and Chris Hanson.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/...o-free-agency/
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

here ya go
Attached Images

broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

FOXBORO — As the game clock ticked down the final seconds of the Patriots season, Vince Wilfork admitted considering the possibility that he could be playing in a Patriots uniform for the last time. The end of New England’s playoff run means the beginning of the offseason for the Patriots, and the biggest question surrounding the team is what will happen to the All-Pro defensive lineman.

The 28-year-old is eligible to become a free agent next month. There is no question that he will draw interest from many teams in the NFL if he reaches the open market. Wilfork said he talked to his teammates about his situation after being eliminated from the playoffs.

“I told my teammates, I don’t know if this is the last game I play with you or not,” Wilfork said. “But if it is, man, I love you and I’m going to miss you.”

Wilfork spoke at length after the game about several topics. On the subject of his own future, the two-time Pro Bowler admitted that he can see himself putting on a different uniform next season.

“Yes, I can. I surely can,” he confirmed. “This whole process, I did what was best for my family. Family first, and it’s going to be first now.”

Wilfork has played six seasons with the Patriots and has been one of the team’s most consistent faces on the defensive side of the ball. Wilfork has played in 13 or more regular-season games all six years he’s been a Patriot. Rumors swirled before the season started that he would hold out, but he did just the opposite. Wilfork showed up to training camp on time and gave his best all year.

“I could’ve easily been sitting out and wanting my money and trying to prove a point,” Wilfork said. But that’s not me.”

Now, some believe Wilfork could get the franchise tag from the Patriots. Wilfork acknowledged that he would be very upset if the Patriots decided to lock him into the franchise tag and that he’s looking for a long-term deal.

Patriots tight end Ben Watson also is looking at free agency and says he doesn’t know if he wants to be back in New England.

“I don’t know, I’m going to wallow in this misery for a little bit and then talk to the people around me — my family, agent — and see if the Patriots organization wants to have me back,” Watson said. “And if they don’t, there’s so many different possibilities, so we’ll just see how it goes.”

Wilfork and Watson are joined by many other Patriots who will be going into free agency: Kevin Faulk, Jarvis Green, Stephen Neal, Vince Wilfork, Leigh Bodden, Logan Mankins, Derrick Burgess, Pierre Woods, Junior Seau, Gary Guyton, Stephen Gostkowski and Chris Hanson.

I wonder if there is any relation?
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Hey Stephen Neal's an FA too, he's got to be better than Hochstein at least.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

You guys know if Faulk walks, he'll be a Bronco... right? No way McD can resist if he's available. Would actually be a nice pick-up for a season.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:20 AM   #6
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:

DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
"He never touched us."

"Ya...ya he did so."
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:23 AM   #8
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

I'd happily take either of them, Wilfork especially. Also would be happen to take Jarvis Green and Mankins off their hands if it wouldn't break the bank.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:34 AM   #9
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

We're getting rid of Scheffler so might as well get Watson... we could use a guy like Wilfork, who do we get rid of though? I don't see us tossing Fields. Baker seemed like a solid project. Does that mean we're tossing Marcus Thomas?

Plus how the hell do we afford all of this. We need to resign Doom... likely Orton as well... and potentially Marshall, on top of others.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:37 AM   #10
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
We're getting rid of Scheffler so might as well get Watson... we could use a guy like Wilfork, who do we get rid of though? I don't see us tossing Fields. Baker seemed like a solid project. Does that mean we're tossing Marcus Thomas?

Plus how the hell do we afford all of this. We need to resign Doom... likely Orton as well... and potentially Marshall, on top of others.
We've got the lowest committed payroll of any team in the league heading into 2010 if I recall, about $30M below what the salary cap would have been in a CBA year.

Doom is looking at probably around $9-$10M a year but other than that no one on the team is going to receive a top dollar contract.

Wilfork would need top DT money, but he won't get Albert Haynesworth money. Probably something in a similar price range to Doom.

We could easily afford at least one top tier FA depending on who's available. Some creative accounting could make room for two.

That or the Broncos could spread that money around and sign more value guys. It'll be interesting to see their approach.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:41 AM   #11
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

wilfork woudl be an awesome signing, so would mankins. 2 huge draft needs we could sign right there.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:44 AM   #12
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I doubt we get Wilfork, or Mankins.

Neal, and Faulk are possibilities though.

I could see Denver turning towards other FA's at other NT's, like Abrayo Franklin and possibly Casey Hampton.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:14 AM   #13
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Wilfork and Mankins will be franchised I would think.
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:19 AM   #14
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Casey Hampton would be fantastic. Could Pitt actually let that guy walk?
Old 01-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #15
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:

Definitely good questions. We have some people to restructure. (Champ.) If we did bring in Wilfork (which I doubt but for the sake of conversation)... I think Fields could play in rotation behind him and perhaps even at DE.

Marcus Thomas is probably on the bubble. He just never looks very good out there, which is too bad. It would be a huge boost for this team if the proverbial light would go on for him. He doesn't make much, though... so he could stay in a reserve role.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:38 AM   #16
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Why exactly should we sign Watson?

We have our starting TE in Graham, he's as solid as they come. We don't utilize the TE as a receiver a whole lot in the offense anyway, so why pay Watson what'll need to be a pretty decent contract to bring him in.

We spent a 2nd on Quinn, and he's had a year to get used to the NFL... so put him out there as the #2 TE and spend the money elsewhere.

Wilfork would be awesome, expect a franchise tag there though.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:03 AM   #17
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
The way McD has worked so far, I'll be shocked if one or two of these guys are not Broncos next year. Hopefully it's a big name like Wilfork or Mankins.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #18
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Casey Hampton would be fantastic. Could Pitt actually let that guy walk?
technically they would be letting him waddle
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:15 AM   #19
TheDave
Sauced...

In an uncapped year... I refuse to believe that the Pats are dumb enough to let players like wilfork or Mankins walk.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
In an uncapped year... I refuse to believe that the Pats are dumb enough to let players like wilfork or Mankins walk.
Ay, there's the rub. I doubt Robert Kraft has run out of money.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:41 AM   #21
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:

What about moving Marcus Thomas to DE?
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:51 AM   #22
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBuff View Post
What about moving Marcus Thomas to DE?
Marcus did play DE... at least most of the time.

...and he has a bad habbit of running around blocks.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #23
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Are you guys really that attached to Marcus Thomas?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #24
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

I don't know about Wilfork, but I would be very surprised if McD doesn't make a strong push to bring in Logan Mankins at LG. I would love to add him. We obviously have a big need at LG, and with McD moving to a power man-blocking scheme Mankins would be a great fit. He is a powerful mauler, just what the interior of our line needs.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:32 AM   #25
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
The Pats always plan ahead, and even though there is no cap this year there will be once a new CBA is in place. I doubt they tie up a lot of money in both. Of the two, Mankins is the one I expect to see McD make a strong push for. He was clearly frustrated with the run blocking this year and Mankins would be a great fit.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote