The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW
Default Shanny's last 10 games finish.

2002 5-5
2003 5-5
2004 5-5
2005 8-2
2006 With a FRANCHISE QB ERA 4-6
2007 4-6
2008 4-6

One winning finish to last 10 games in his last 7 here in Denver. All losing seasons with franchise QB. Just saying.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Ooops. This ought to be good.

You should post this at Extreme Skins.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Which us why he was fired. Still all better than 2-8. Even with the worst defense in franchise history and a lot more injuries.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

wow, I had no idea. He established a culture here of not finishing strong, McD has his work cut out to end that way of thinking in Denver.

Yes I am making an excuse for McDaniels.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

shanny (4-6)>mc****face (2-8)
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
shanny (4-6)>mc****face (2-8)
8-8=8-8= NO PLAYOFFS no matter how you slice it.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
Meck77

We had had some great years with Jake Plummer.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
You just blew his mind.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

It is at the very least fair to say that Mc D failed to stop the tendency to finish weak rather than that he is responsible for it. I'm hoping its something we can address next season. In fact, I'm almost hoping we can start out 0-3 or something, as I'm so sick of us fading down the stretch...

Thing is, we faded late-season even back in the days we were good! in 1996 we took our foot off the gas deliberately, in our first SB-winning season we had a worrying late-season slump and even in 1998 we ended up going 2-2 over the final four after starting 12-0. I don't think we've EVER had a season with a better record over the last eight...EVER....

I really, really wonder if it does have something to do with the thin air? People say that it gives US an extra home-field advantage (most famously John Madden) but maybe playing in that thin air 8 games a season wears guys down a little more? Certainly it seems to happen time and time again no matter who's coaching or who's in the team, and we don't exactly have the best home playoff record since 1996 either......
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
We had had some great years with Jake Plummer.
Yep a lot better than the supposed franchise QB.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
It is at the very least fair to say that Mc D failed to stop the tendency to finish weak rather than that he is responsible for it. I'm hoping its something we can address next season. In fact, I'm almost hoping we can start out 0-3 or something, as I'm so sick of us fading down the stretch...

Thing is, we faded late-season even back in the days we were good! in 1996 we took our foot off the gas deliberately, in our first SB-winning season we had a worrying late-season slump and even in 1998 we ended up going 2-2 over the final four after starting 12-0. I don't think we've EVER had a season with a better record over the last eight...EVER....

I really, really wonder if it does have something to do with the thin air? People say that it gives US an extra home-field advantage (most famously John Madden) but maybe playing in that thin air 8 games a season wears guys down a little more? Certainly it seems to happen time and time again no matter who's coaching or who's in the team, and we don't exactly have the best home playoff record since 1996 either......
Sell that story to CBS, sure you could pull an article out of it, no matter which answer proves true.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

It's not complicated:

I think Shanny's weak finishes were more due to his stubborness. He would just keep jamming his game plan down everyone's throat even though everyone knew what he was doing and knew how to stop it.

This season was more due to a difference in talent levels. As teams figured out our tendencies and our players had to actually win 1 on 1 battles, they just couldn't get it done. Losing Ryan Harris, and Hamilton and Wiegman's drastic declines just didn't allow our offense to win any battles, and the overall lack of talent on defense got exposed more as the season went on and our linemen couldn't get by on hustle any more.

Of course the talent level hurt Shanny's teams as well, towards the end of his tenure.

Last edited by PRBronco; 01-12-2010 at 10:45 AM..
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
well duh! thanks for the awesome thread!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
well duh! thanks for the awesome thread!
Are you ****ting me? His post was at least as relevant as yours. Keep running around like a hypocritical douchebag.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Are you ****ting me? His post was at least as relevant as yours. Keep running around like a hypocritical douchebag.
thanks for caring!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #16
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

You guys do realize that our collapse was due to lack of depth all across the board. We brought in a bunch of veteran stop gaps (and play makers) along with guys to fill voids of 50% of our roster being cut. I think we wont see the same results in year two, and even stronger results in year 3. McDaniels has had one offseason to fill this roster with guys that fit our scheme give him another two years and we will be able to maintain strong starts. As long as Josh doesn't bring in a bunch of street free agents like Engleburger, Winborn, and Vernon Fox....errr never mind.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #17
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

McD managed to out-do all collapses in just his very first season in Denver. It's easier to win the super bowl than fail like McD did down the stretch.

We're now one of only 3 teams since the AFL/NFL merger (SPANNING 44 YEARS!) to start 6-0, and fail to make the playoffs. We did it in grand fashion too, with a week to spare, losing to a 4-12, and 5-11 team AT home no less.

Sorry guys, bag on Shanny all you want but in 15 years in Denver, Jack McDaniels managed to surpass him in one foul swoop. Not only that, he can't control his locker room and Denver has been the laughing stock of the NFL all season.

Last edited by bpc; 01-12-2010 at 11:36 AM..
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #18
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
2002 5-5
2003 5-5
2004 5-5
2005 8-2
------------------------------------------------------
2007 4-6
2008 4-6

One winning finish to last 10 games in his last 7 here in Denver. All losing seasons with franchise QB. Just saying.
Three playoffs with Plummer with a couple .500's down the stretch.

April 29, 2006 was the day the franchise turned around and went in a different direction. It didn't work out.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #19
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
McD managed to out-do all collapses in just his very first season in Denver. It's easier to win the super bowl than fail like McD did down the stretch.

We're now one of only 3 teams to start 6-0, and fail to make the playoffs. We did it in grand fashion too, with a week to spare, losing to a 4-12, and 5-11 team AT home no less.

Sorry guys, bag on Shanny all you want but in 15 years in Denver, Jack McDaniels managed to surpass him in one foul swoop. Not only that, he can't control his locker room and Denver has been the laughing stock of the NFL all season.
How many teams in the NFL have ever started 6-0 btw?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #20
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

None of them as bas as 2-8, huh?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #21
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
How many teams in the NFL have ever started 6-0 btw?
Who knows, who cares? The only newsworthy part about that record is the destinction of choking away the playoffs, as we did.

Shanahan had some seasons we wish would have ended better... but he never failed as miserably as 2009.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #22
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post

We're now one of only 3 teams to start 6-0, and fail to make the playoffs. We did it in grand fashion too, with a week to spare, losing to a 4-12, and 5-11 team AT home no less.

Your right Shanny doesn't deserve all of the criticism he gets for his repeated late season collapses, but a rookie head coach with a gutted roster does?

I've said this multiple times now and I'm not going to stop until people get the point. We cut half of our roster from last year and brought in a bunch of rookies and FAs to fill the holes. We wore down as the season went on because we didn't have the depth to continue to perform at the level we achieved through the first six games. You can call it overachieving or you can just look at it for what it was. Both of our lines were fresh, healthy, and dominant. Heres a breakdown of how the Broncos broke down...

*Ryan Harris IR (we lost one our book ends and teams started to exploit our lack of T depth.)

*Lack of adequate rotation on the defensive line. Ron Fields wore down, Ryan McBean couldn't stay healthy and we were forced to adjust the scheme that made our defense dominant though our fist 6 games.

*Our interior line was inferior and as the season progressed they started to get dominated. This is something we will address this offseason guaranteed.

*The two most effective RBs on this team were a Rookie (who like all rookies..wore down), and a veteran with chronic knee problems.

*Because of our poor offensive line play we could not sustain drives and again wore down our defense.

By the time we played the Chiefs we were so beat up and ineffective across our lines we probably couldn't have beat the Lions. We need QUALITY depth across both of our lines along with a bigger more productive interior O-Line. This is what happens when you rebuild a team, you cut all of the players that were scheme stop gaps for the previous regime and start replacing them with your guys. Thats what is going on its plain and simple. You should feel privileged to have a coach who was capable to put us in position to have one of the worst collapses in NFL history because most teams who rebuild like we are don't sniff 6 wins in season let alone starting 6-0. The Steelers went through this process a few years ago, the Saints went through this process, the Jets, the Giants...the list goes on. Two of those teams won superbowl's not to long after, and the Saints could be on their way. You should follow other NFL teams more, and you might realize it was damn impressive that we started the way we did.

How many teams have cut 50% of their roster and then started the season 6-0? I bet there are less than 3 teams in NFL history.

Last edited by DivineLegion; 01-12-2010 at 01:07 PM..
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #23
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
2002 5-5
2003 5-5
2004 5-5
2005 8-2
2007 4-6
2008 4-6

The funny and stupid thing about your post is that you are assumed a. that Jake Plummer was any kind of franchise player in 2005, b that Jay Cutler could attain franchise status during just his first FULL season in the NFL.

Your expectations are bull****, but that can be said about many unknowledgable NFL fans. The Denver Bronco fans have been spoiled for a long time. Unfortunately for us, I think we're soon going to be realizing how much in the coming seasons when we get to see how the other half lives.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #24
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I wouldn't have cared so much about losing 8 of the last ten games if the two wins were against the Raiders and the Chiefs at home.

That was a pathetic finish whether Josh was a rookie head coach or not. Losing to the Raiders and Chiefs - especially with the sorry state of their teams - at home like we did was a terrible way to close a season.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #25
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

You guys are so busy arguing about "my dad can beat up your dad" that you are missing the point. How as a Broncos organization do we reverse that trend? 2 - 8 versus 4 - 6 is not worth arguing about. The big question is why can't we win late in the season? Until we do that, we don't stand a chance to get in the playoffs or win when we do.

I submit there are two things that we need to change:
1) The team needs to get younger -- build through the draft. Our best players are old and I think they tend to wear down and get injured later in the year
2) We need to get guys that dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball

And a possible 3rd choice is that we need some stability. Shanny rotating d-coordinators every year certainly didn't help us to settle on personnel or for the personnel we have to master the system.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote