The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme
Default Mike and the Mad Dog

Interesting article from Stefan Fatsis.

Click Here to read

Excerpt:

Quote:
Shanahan and Snyder could reinforce each otherís worst tendencies: believing that they alone have all the answers, and that money can solve any problem. Shanahan could marginalize his general manager, as he did over the years in Denver. He hasnít won the big one in a dozen years, has been averse to the quantitative thinking that is reshaping player evaluation, only recently began using a computer, and, at 57, isnít exactly in tune with the emotional needs of a younger generation of athletes.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Pretty good reader comment:

I think some of it comes down to being in the right place at the right time. At the time, the Denver job was nearly a perfect fit for Shanahan. He'd just come off a successful gig as an OC for the Niners, which back then was regarded as the model organization from top to bottom. He inherited a tough QB that had smarts and the ability to lead and make his teammates better, which is a key piece to solving the puzzle. Once Shanahan installed a more QB friendly "West Coast" style offense, Elway didn't have to take nearly as much of a beating as he was previously under Dan Reeves and the all-too-predictable seven-step drop-backs.

That certainly was a different time, and Shanahan may or may not be a completely different person to deal with now. He'd been fired as head coach after barely a season with the Raiders by an owner who had many of the same shortcomings as Snyder has in the present. Marty Schottenheimer was a guy with a long history of success who, much like Shanahan, liked to do things his way when Snyder hired him. It lasted one season. I'd never count Shanahan out right out of the gate, but Jason Campbell isn't exactly Elway when it comes to leadership and toughness, and Snyder seems much more like Al Davis than Pat Bowlen.

While Shanahan's bound to be an improvement on overmatched Jim Zorn, I wouldn't be surprised if there is more gridlock at FedEx Field than there will be on the floor of Congress next year.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i hate reading his articles. just get to your damn point and cut out the ridiculous rhetoric that precedes every main point you are trying to make
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

All I want is for Shanahan to convince Snyder to throw draft picks and money at the Broncos to get the people he wants, and make the Broncos better.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

I hope Shanny's move to the Redskins is more successful than Jimmy Johnson's move to Miami.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Dude he's a writer what do you expect?
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Stefan Fatsis is lame.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
i hate reading his articles. just get to your damn point and cut out the ridiculous rhetoric that precedes every main point you are trying to make
I hate the fact that you can't find the shift key.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote