The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
Ramathorn
Perennial Pro-bowler

M E O W

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis Dumervil
Default Dumervil places 3rd in DEF POTY

Woodson named top defensive playerComment Email Print Share Associated Press

NEW YORK -- In his own view, Charles Woodson put together his best pro season in 2009. How appropriate, then, that he is The Associated Press 2009 NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

The versatile Woodson tied for the league lead with nine interceptions, returning three for touchdowns, and was a key to the Packers' turnaround on defense. His role in Green Bay's performance -- second in the league in overall defense, first in interceptions (30), takeaways (40) and turnover margin (plus-24) -- earned Woodson 28 votes Tuesday from a nationwide panel of 50 sportswriters and broadcasters who cover the NFL.

NOT EVEN CLOSE
Charles Woodson, in voting by a national panel of 50 sportswriters and broadcasters, is only the second Green Bay Packer to win in the 36-year history of the award.

Player Votes
Charles Woodson, CB, Packers 28
Darrelle Revis, CB, Jets 14
Elvis Dumervil, LB, Broncos 3
Darren Sharper, S, Saints 3
Jared Allen, DE, Vikings 2

"Yeah, it's the best," Woodson said of his performance this season. "There's no question about it. I was hesitant to say it early on this year; just consistent play, playing at a high level every week, turnovers, playing multiple positions and playing them well. Combine that with just going out there and having fun, and this is definitely the best."

He doubled the number of votes for New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis in becoming the first Green Bay winner since Reggie White in 1998 and just the second Packer in the 36-year history of the award.

Woodson, the 1997 Heisman Trophy recipient, is the first cornerback chosen as the top defensive player since Deion Sanders in 1994.

He got the honor in great part because of the way he anchored a defense in transition. Woodson was used in a variety of ways by new defensive coordinator Dom Capers as Green Bay made the switch to a 3-4. At times, the unit was shaky -- except for Woodson, who played the role of cover cornerback, blitzer, run-stuffer and ballhawk.

"Any time you go out there on the field, you go out there to win the game, of course," Woodson said, "but you go out there to be consistent and a reliable player. And that's what that award is. You go out there, you can make plays and can continue to make them through the season and you're mentioned as far as being Defensive Player of the Year, you know you're doing some things right."

The Packers went 11-5 during the season, including taking seven of eight games in the second half of the schedule to secure an NFC wild-card berth. In that span, Green Bay allowed 15.6 points per game. Take away a last-second 37-36 loss to Pittsburgh, and the number becomes a minuscule 11.4.

Woodson had 63 unassisted tackles and 18 assists, according to the Packers, plus 21 passes defensed, four forced fumbles and one recovery, two sacks for 18 yards and three quarterback hits.

"I've said it before, he's had two or three games that I can't imagine any defensive player in the league having better games," said Capers, who also coached Rod Woodson (1993) and Jason Taylor (2006) when they won the award. "I think it speaks volumes when he was player of the month in September and came back and got player of the month again [in November]."

In his third season, Revis established himself as the league's premier cornerback, taking away such prime threats as Steve Smith, Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Terrell Owens, Chad Ochocinco and Marques Colston. He had six picks, returning one for a TD.

Denver linebacker Elvis Dumervil, who led the league in sacks, and New Orleans safety Darren Sharper, who tied with Woodson for the interceptions lead and also ran back three for scores, each got three votes. Minnesota end Jared Allen received the other two votes.
Ramathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Can't disagree with that. Woodson had an amazing year. Revis shut down 85 in the playoffs. Doom will get his time in the sun.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This is about right. Although Doom had the most sacks, there were key times in ames where he was nowhere to be found.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman444 View Post
This is about right. Although Doom had the most sacks, there were key times in ames where he was nowhere to be found.
and a liability against the run
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

I have no problem with them getting the D MVP over dumervil. What I have a problem with is that Jason Taylor got the D MVP over champ a few years ago. Champ had 10 picks that year while Woodson and Revis had like 8 this year. Champ had one of the best years of a CB with 10 picks and he was the least thrown at CB in the league. How he had 10 picks still I dont know, its just amazing.

I think Jason Taylor had 18 or 19 sacks that year, while Dumervil had 17.5 this year. Whats up with that?
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Woodson completely deserved it. Congrats to him.
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I'll agree that Elvis had some tough stretches against the run but the 'no where to be found' comment is bull****. Elvis showed up to play every week, even you guys didn't see it in the stat categories.

Fact is, nobody could offer a consistent rush opposite of him, so offenses could key on him.

I do agree Woodson and Revis deserved the top 2 spots though.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Dummervil Won 3-4 games for us in the 4th quarter by shutting down the other teams offense. Disappeared my ace.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

GO Bison Kick OU

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Higher than I thought Elvis would be. Hard to see him as DPOY when he's been shut down and completely disappeared in games, the same goes for Allen. I think the three DB's probably best 3 in the league this year.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #10
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I'll agree that Elvis had some tough stretches against the run but the 'no where to be found' comment is bull****. Elvis showed up to play every week, even you guys didn't see it in the stat categories.

Fact is, nobody could offer a consistent rush opposite of him, so offenses could key on him.

I do agree Woodson and Revis deserved the top 2 spots though.

I agree, Elvis was in there almost every play he rushed. He was held all season long. It seemed to me he was held on every play.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

GO Bison Kick OU

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Dummervil Won 3-4 games for us in the 4th quarter by shutting down the other teams offense. Disappeared my ace.
In the last 4 games he showed up against Philly, but in the other 3...4 tackles, no sacks. Against Oakland, KC, and Indy. I'll give him Indy, but Oakland and KC.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #12
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples Champ View Post
I agree, Elvis was in there almost every play he rushed. He was held all season long. It seemed to me he was held on every play.
Not every play...he also got illegal hands to the face quite often
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #13
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
In the last 4 games he showed up against Philly, but in the other 3...4 tackles, no sacks. Against Oakland, KC, and Indy. I'll give him Indy, but Oakland and KC.
You don't know what his role was on any given play. You would have to know the play call. You would have to know his assignment. It isn't always....rush the passer. Further more he gets facemasked and held on just about every play when he does rush the passer.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

GO Bison Kick OU

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
The difference between a quality pass rusher and an average pass rusher is overcoming that ability and using moves to beat it.

I live in the frigid north and am forced to see the Vikes constantly. I know that Allen is a DE and Elvis is TECHNICALLY an OLB, but he has great moves and constantly gets held, infact a portion of his sacks and tackles include the OL that is still holding on to him.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #15
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
The difference between a quality pass rusher and an average pass rusher is overcoming that ability and using moves to beat it.

I live in the frigid north and am forced to see the Vikes constantly. I know that Allen is a DE and Elvis is TECHNICALLY an OLB, but he has great moves and constantly gets held, infact a portion of his sacks and tackles include the OL that is still holding on to him.
Jared is good, but look inside and you'll see the secret to his success.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #16
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

GO Bison Kick OU

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
You don't know what his role was on any given play. You would have to know the play call. You would have to know his assignment. It isn't always....rush the passer. Further more he gets facemasked and held on just about every play when he does rush the passer.
So the 5 tackles and 2 sacks the first time vs Oak and 6 tackles and a sack vs KC the first time he didn't? Or the other games he didnt'? My point is if you want to be DPOY or MVP you make plays 16 games out of the year. I don't disagree with the point that he made plays during several other games that resulted in us winning.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #17
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

GO Bison Kick OU

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Jared is good, but look inside and you'll see the secret to his success.
Agreed...you can't double team 3 players on the front 4...with the 2 williams and allen, their dline is awesome. And I think if we get a nose that occupies blocks better we not only will see better play from Elvis, but from our LBs
Old 01-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #18
DivineLegion
The Surgeon Cometh

Tic' Toc' The Manning Clock

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

This is where getting a guy like Brian Price would really change the dinamic of this defense. If we had a guy who could really command attention next to Elvis as well as Ron Fields we could really free up our inside linebackers and start getting even more creative with our blitz's. I just stated my feelings on Fields in the Rolando McClain thread, and the effect a playmaking DE would have on our front 7. We were very successful with our inside blitz's in the first half of the season but as the season wore on and our lack of rotation along the defensive line took effect we had trouble bring our inside backers to force QBs outside.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #19
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Not every play...he also got illegal hands to the face quite often

I totally agree, I saw that a bunch too that wasnt called.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #20
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:

Right, which is why Elivs overcame that ability and used moves to beat it 17.5 times and lead the NFL in it.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #21
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

GO Bison Kick OU

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Right, which is why Elivs overcame that ability and used moves to beat it 17.5 times and lead the NFL in it.
And completely disappeared against the Raiders and Chefs.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
and a liability against the run
he is actually getting better at that. i think having a couple extra yards between the LOS and him has given him the chance to see a run develop and give him the extra second or 2 to react and try to get into position. he still needs to work on that aspect of his game, but has gotten better
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #23
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
And completely disappeared against the Raiders and Chefs.

Jared Allen disapeared against the Bears and Cardinals, is he average?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #24
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I'm amazed by the stupidity of some fans. It pretty much goes without saying around here but you go on missingbraincells, keep telling us about how Doom sucked and how he didn't make any plays against the Raiders or chiefs to end the season...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...picks-off-Frye

BTW, tell me who pressured C. Frye and forced a Champ Bailey INT? Go on now... rewind it... go real slow... if that's too hard to watch for you, listen to the commentators, they'll break it down as well for you since simple things escape you.

That turnover gives us a 10 pt lead in the first. Those points lead us to a victory. Unfortunately our offense crapped the pot as McDaniels called his favorite OT screen play.

You're a buffoon.

Elvis made tons of plays. Some of those plays don't get recorded as stats, some are also penalties which for the most part NEVER got called against opposing players for some reason this year.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #25
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
I have no problem with them getting the D MVP over dumervil. What I have a problem with is that Jason Taylor got the D MVP over champ a few years ago. Champ had 10 picks that year while Woodson and Revis had like 8 this year. Champ had one of the best years of a CB with 10 picks and he was the least thrown at CB in the league. How he had 10 picks still I dont know, its just amazing.

I think Jason Taylor had 18 or 19 sacks that year, while Dumervil had 17.5 this year. Whats up with that?
Taylor also forced NINE FUMBLES, and had two TD's... he only had 13.5 sacks though.

I still think Champ deserved it, but there's no denying that Taylor had a ridiculous year.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote