The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Fusionfrontman
Perennial Pro-bowler

Default John Skelton- what is everyone's take?

Someone recently posted some youtube video's of the kid and from what I have seen, and continued reading up on him, I am really loving him. Draft boards do not have him going earlier than the 5th round while ranked in the top 10 at QB in the country. #9 is where I have seen him ranked.

What do the posters here in the know, or good at analyzing talent think? I'd love to get him, since I can't see McD spending an early draft pick on a QB when we have so many other holes.

Only thing that kind of worries me is his low delivery... but considering he is 6 foot 5 inches, that is not as terrible a problem as if he were only six foot.
Fusionfrontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

Rivers, Farve, and Romo all have low deliveries. I think delivery is overrated. Skelton has size, a good arm, and mobility.

But after watching the vids that someone posted, I don't know if he is ready for the complexity of an NFL offense (making reads all over the field) or possesses the accuracy (need something with higher resolution that Youtube). You can question his competition, but his receivers were probably not Division 1 quality as well. I could see us closing the draft by picking him.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Fusionfrontman
Perennial Pro-bowler

I agree with the delivery statement... in fact, Rivers' delivery is so odd, yet means nothing because the guy is so accurate.
I too would like to see some mid level throws downfield, since most of his passes on the youtube video are bombs downfield and quick hot read throws. I think we take in him the 6th round also.
Fusionfrontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
Popps
It's so easy

He sure looks good in his vids. Looks like he's running a similar offense to ours, too.

I'd be all in favor of this one, from what I can tell... especially because you get the kid at a discount.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Any word on if he'll be playing in the Shrine game or Senior Bowl or something where we can get a better look at him?
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I think he's playing the Shrine bowl...
Old 01-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Can you compare him to Sean Canfield? I wonder what the brace on Skelton's left knee is about....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Any word on if he'll be playing in the Shrine game or Senior Bowl or something where we can get a better look at him?
He playing at the Shrine Bowl.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Can you compare him to Sean Canfield? I wonder what the brace on Skelton's left knee is about....
Canfield is more polished with his throwing motion, and has played in pro-style offense. It appears Skelton has a little better arm, mobility and more size in general. Canfield also understand when to force the ball and when to check it down.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

truthfully if we take him late in the draft and no one else in the 1st 2 rounds, in my mind that means McDaniels has made up his mond completely and his guy is Orton.

i know that NE had success with late round guys who became starters for them, but in both cases neither guy was brought in to be a serious candidate to start. they were brought in as backups and then flourished when the need for them to start arose.

nobody goes into the draft and sees 5th, 6th or 7th round QBs as a QBOTF for the franchise.

if McDaniels doesn't pull the trigger on a QB by the 2nd round, get used to Orton because he is the man as long as McDaniels is in Denver.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
truthfully if we take him late in the draft and no one else in the 1st 2 rounds, in my mind that means McDaniels has made up his mond completely and his guy is Orton.

i know that NE had success with late round guys who became starters for them, but in both cases neither guy was brought in to be a serious candidate to start. they were brought in as backups and then flourished when the need for them to start arose.

nobody goes into the draft and sees 5th, 6th or 7th round QBs as a QBOTF for the franchise.

if McDaniels doesn't pull the trigger on a QB by the 2nd round, get used to Orton because he is the man as long as McDaniels is in Denver.
Or til next season draft which looks a heck of lot richer in talent.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Or til next season draft which looks a heck of lot richer in talent.
i thought about that possibility too, but that just seems even more unlikely. basically by doing that he would be saying i have no intentions of winning in Denver until 2012 at the soonest.

figure, it takes at least 1 full season to fully implement a new system and get a QB up to speed in that system. by drafting a QB in 2011, we are left with only the option of basically throwing a rookie QB to the wolves. if Orton isn't given a new deal this offseason or next he will be gone in 2011 and there will be no proven veteran for the team to lean on for a year for the rookie to sit on the bench and learn for a year.

it just seems too unlikely that McDaniels is looking towards the 2011 draft class and targeting a QB for then.

which brings me back to the point of, if he doesn't draft a QB in the 1st 2 rounds this upcoming draft, Orton is the guy McDaniels lives or dies with as a coach in Denver.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote