The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default McD's get-tough policy bad move at wrong time

McD's get-tough policy bad move at wrong time

Readers talk and columnist Mark Kiszla responds
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/10/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Not schoolboys.

"Josh McDaniels was 100 percent right to tell Brandon Marshall to stay home for the Broncos' final game? And McDaniels would have lost his team if he surrendered to Marshall? Someone better revoke your medicinal marijuana card, Kiz. Little Josh could have made a statement by not re-signing Marshall, but he decided it was better to bench a Pro Bowler and give up any chance to make the playoffs. McDaniels wanted to field players who want to work hard. What? Are you kidding me? Since when does anyone coach an NFL team like a high school team? What a joke." -Jim, Parker

Kiz: Let's see. Broncos running back Terrell Davis once checked into a Super Bowl huddle with a blinding migraine. New England quarterback Tom Brady is going to give it a go in this year's playoffs despite cracked ribs and a busted finger. What do TD and Brady have that Marshall wishes he owned? Championship rings. I'm not saying B-Marsh lacks toughness, but some football players are Hall of Fame tough. And there's a difference.

Show 'em who's boss.

"I agree with McDaniels on the Marshall issue. It takes guts to do that, especially when the playoffs are on the line. These overpaid prima donnas must realize McD is the boss." -John, Flagler

Kiz: Let's get one thing straight. Marshall and McDaniels both want to win. The importance of their personality clash was way overplayed by melodramatic fiddlers. Know the No. 1 reason for almost any dispute in the NFL? It's all about the money. So follow the money. It's taking Marshall straight out of Denver.

Careful what you wish for.

"You wanted Mike Shanahan fired. Check. You wanted Jay Cutler out. Check. You want Marshall and Tony Scheffler out. Check. About the only thing you're right on is the question: Are the Broncos, including the coach and front office, better than last year? No! You, the lackeys at Channel 4 and owner Pat Bowlen are all on the Kool-Aid. McDaniels is, and was, over his head. McD will draft a new QB and say it takes a while to develop. Bowlen and McDaniels deserve this. It's about the money, including trading away a first-rounder for Alphonso Smith, as in: Bowlen doesn't have the money anymore." - Rich, owner of 12 season tickets

Kiz: Hey, sticks and stones may break my bones, but when you start going after my pals Vic Lombardi and Gary Miller, them's fighting words. Tell me: Did you hear Champ Bailey or Daniel Graham, two respected vets brought to town by Shanahan, grousing when McDaniels benched Marshall and Scheffler?

Aggressive enthusiasm.

"Mark: My kudos to you for being level- headed in your columns regarding the Broncos. You have given the good and bad of the leadership, coaching and player situations during the past year. I know change is very difficult, whether it be a company or an NFL team. More than anything else, the Broncos needed a cultural change. As a lifelong Patriots fan, I've been watching McDaniels for years. He's smart and a very good coach. I compare him to some of the young, smart executives I brought into my company who ticked off the older guys with his aggressive enthusiasm." - Mike, Golden

Kiz: McDaniels is brash, bold and often acts like he's the smartest football guy in the room. In that respect, McD reminds me a little of a young Shanny.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...%3A+Broncos%29
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

2 & 8 in his last ten games-without any major injury issues (excluding Ryan Harris)....those are Chief (wait--they finished BETTER than we did and beat us by 20 points in our house in a game that we HAD to win), Lions & Rams type of finishes---and this occurred not at the beginning of the season when struggles can be explained away by players being unfamiliar with a new coaches system, but rather when the system was in fact MORE FAMILIAR to the players......This guy needs to be run out of town PRONTO.
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
2 & 8 in his last ten games-without any major injury issues (excluding Ryan Harris)....those are Chief (wait--they finished BETTER than we did and beat us by 20 points in our house in a game that we HAD to win), Lions & Rams type of finishes---and this occurred not at the beginning of the season when struggles can be explained away by players being unfamiliar with a new coaches system, but rather when the system was in fact MORE FAMILIAR to the players......This guy needs to be run out of town PRONTO.
Patience..Mcd will be fired after the coming season.
He is not fit to coach in NFL.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

excluding Harris, yet line play went to hell in a hand basket second half
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Do they check your underwear for explosives before they let you in the stadium.......
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Your act is old and boring. You continually keep pulling this 2-8 crap out of you butt because you have nothing else to pound in the dirt.

The team finished 8-8 in McD's first year, with a new offense, defense and new players.

Shanny's team lost the last 3 games of last year when all they had to do is win one to be in the playoffs. Talk about utter failure, that is it!

McD's first year and the team is 8-8. Shanny's 14th year and his team is 8-8. You want McD gone, but you don't want to face reality.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

If Mcd is fired whenever he's fired we move on. Mcd is inexperienced like every 1st time head coach. I think one rookie mistake was he overestimated his interior OL for his system it was better suited for Shanny's system. We collapsed in 2nd half under Shanny too why he neglected the trenches for a decade and only used scraps when he did and he is considered hof material coach wise. I do believe McD's understands that both lines need more power added. I'm a full supporter of McD if I have one concern about him is I think he won't bolster skill positions like I hope we would like Indy NE SD. I do understand even with my concerns he needs a few offseasons to get it done.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

You need to address the problem when it arises. Not like McDaniels had a choice on that.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
You need to address the problem when it arises. Not like McDaniels had a choice on that.
Thats a fair assessment..
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

This quote of Kiz says it all to me: "Did you hear Champ Bailey or Daniel Graham, two respected vets brought to town by Shanahan, grousing when McDaniels benched Marshall and Scheffler?"
RMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
Paladin
Ring of Famer

"Melodramatic fiddlers...." Good description.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Mcd will be fine. He made some stupid mistakes but I think (I hope) he learns from them.

Benching BMarsh ended up being just fine caz we were done anyway.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Kizla has thin skin and is basically just a mouhpiece for the team.

Whole piece is garbage.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #14
Popps
It's so easy

Kiz: Hey, sticks and stones may break my bones, but when you start going after my pals Vic Lombardi and Gary Miller, them's fighting words. Tell me: Did you hear Champ Bailey or Daniel Graham, two respected vets brought to town by Shanahan, grousing when McDaniels benched Marshall and Scheffler?

Kiz: McDaniels is brash, bold and often acts like he's the smartest football guy in the room. In that respect, McD reminds me a little of a young Shanny.

Last edited by Popps; 01-10-2010 at 11:24 AM..
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #15
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMT View Post
This quote of Kiz says it all to me: "Did you hear Champ Bailey or Daniel Graham, two respected vets brought to town by Shanahan, grousing when McDaniels benched Marshall and Scheffler?"
I did see their play on the field vs the Chiefs and I thought it was less then impressive. Let's not forget that they are well paid too. I have no problem with them wanting to hold Marshall accountable for his actions, I just find it ironic that they do that and come out and pretty much play their worst game of the season after doing that. No one can hold them accountable for that now can they.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #16
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayjackson View Post
excluding Harris, yet line play went to hell in a hand basket second half
That is one thing I cant wrap my brain around. Daniel Graham has been been playing the role of training wheels for inexperienced RTs most of his stay here, is Polumbus that much worse than Pears? Where was the blocking TE we dropped a 2nd on?
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #17
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I did see their play on the field vs the Chiefs and I thought it was less then impressive. Let's not forget that they are well paid too. I have no problem with them wanting to hold Marshall accountable for his actions, I just find it ironic that they do that and come out and pretty much play their worst game of the season after doing that. No one can hold them accountable for that now can they.
I've heard people regurgitating this argument around here.

Who says that it was a joyous decision? Who said it wasn't a distraction and ultimately a negative effect?

Ever had to make a hard decision in life that didn't exactly lift your spirits afterward, even though you knew it was the right thing to do?

This was a massive distraction. As we saw when Shanahan chose to bench plummer in 06, these distractions take a heavy toll on a team, whether it was the right thing to do or not. This was our biggest offensive weapon that the staff and team leaders basically had to bench.

Why would the assumption be after this kind of major locker room distraction in the middle of a losing streak be that the team would somehow be a huge positive?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #18
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
Patience..Mcd will be fired after the coming season.
He is not fit to coach in NFL.
I think McD would make an excellent Div I big conference college coach. I wish the CU Buffs would offer McD a contract after he's fired by Bowlen.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #19
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Who says that it was a joyous decision? Who said it wasn't a distraction and ultimately a negative effect?

Ever had to make a hard decision in life that didn't exactly lift your spirits afterward, even though you knew it was the right thing to do?

This was a massive distraction. As we saw when Shanahan chose to bench plummer in 06, these distractions take a heavy toll on a team, whether it was the right thing to do or not. This was our biggest offensive weapon that the staff and team leaders basically had to bench.

Why would the assumption be after this kind of major locker room distraction in the middle of a losing streak be that the team would somehow be a huge positive?
There are more then a few people that think that when Mike benched Plummer he lost the team for good. I'm sure the players that wanted Marshall to be benched never thought as much information surrounding it would get out the way it did. I have questioned the FO's ability to keep things in house since the beginning of the Cutler thing. This backfired on the players and the coaches. I'm not saying it was the wrong move but not only was Marshall not in that game (more because he wasn't going to anyways) we had to deal with the dealings of the media. I think whoever went to the media got what he wanted out of the outcome.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #20
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Benching Marshall didn't cause Orton to throw two picks that resulted in TD's. Benching Marshall did't cause Graham to drop all those passes. Benching Marshall didn't cause those so called vets who were advocating
"Accountability & Responsibility" to show up against the KC's and stink up the JOINT! Marshall wasn't the cause of of the Defense allowing KC to dump 44 points on the Broncos. Benching Marshall didn't cause/allow Jamal Charles to scorch and torch our defense for over 250 yards!

Tell me something Popps! Where was all the accountability and responsibility from all of McD's VETERANS. Did Marshall cause the team to QUIT on McD against the KC's with playoff implications on the line?
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote