The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default dan lefevour

so are we drafting this guy or what? hes sick
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I wonder if McD will admit he needs help at QB and pull the trigger. When Belichick drafted Brady in the 6th round, Bledsoe had no reason to doubt his position on the team. It's much different with Orton. If McD pulls the trigger on a QB on the first day, he's basically telling Orton he doesn't believe in the guy.

As much as I like Orton, I see some real problems with him. He holds onto the ball way too long, he has little pocket awareness and he can't scramble to save his life. That being said, he is accurate and he is a great game manager, and he's just a good guy.

McD has some tough decisions to make concerning the Broncos's future and his future with the Broncos. If he drafts another young QB on the first day, he's basically saying Orton is not the future. That can have a serious ripple affect over the entire organization and ultimately keep the team from reaching it's maximum potential.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

He very very good college QB, but there concern about his ability to make NFL throws. Think BVP physical ability will little worse arm.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Yep, she thinks he's sick too !!!

Last edited by Pony Boy; 11-02-2013 at 05:34 PM..
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Nice rack
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I wonder if McD will admit he needs help at QB and pull the trigger.
He will not admit anything that puts himself in a bad light.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I've got LeFevour, and the only remedy is More Cowbell.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
I wonder if McD will admit he needs help at QB and pull the trigger. When Belichick drafted Brady in the 6th round, Bledsoe had no reason to doubt his position on the team. It's much different with Orton. If McD pulls the trigger on a QB on the first day, he's basically telling Orton he doesn't believe in the guy.

As much as I like Orton, I see some real problems with him. He holds onto the ball way too long, he has little pocket awareness and he can't scramble to save his life. That being said, he is accurate and he is a great game manager, and he's just a good guy.

McD has some tough decisions to make concerning the Broncos's future and his future with the Broncos. If he drafts another young QB on the first day, he's basically saying Orton is not the future. That can have a serious ripple affect over the entire organization and ultimately keep the team from reaching it's maximum potential.
Or if McD drafts a QB it just means that our current backup sucks donkey a$$. Unless Orton thinks Simms is a great backup QB ofcourse.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

LeFevour didn't look anything special to me, though that Bowl game was the first full game I've seen of him I must admit. Regardless, he can't be ranked much higher than the 4th or 5th round can he? He's scarcely played a good team in his whole career.

My guess is we cut Simms loose this offseason, draft another QB late on Day 2 (someone like LeFevour may be an option unless he's higher on draft boards than I expect him to be) in the draft, and go into next year with Brandstater at the back-up spot.

If McDaniels wants to take a QB at #10, then I'm all for that because it'll have to be someone he thinks can be very, very special. But the odds of it are very slim, in my opinion.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post
LeFevour didn't look anything special to me, though that Bowl game was the first full game I've seen of him I must admit. Regardless, he can't be ranked much higher than the 4th or 5th round can he? He's scarcely played a good team in his whole career.

My guess is we cut Simms loose this offseason, draft another QB late on Day 2 (someone like LeFevour may be an option unless he's higher on draft boards than I expect him to be) in the draft, and go into next year with Brandstater at the back-up spot.

If McDaniels wants to take a QB at #10, then I'm all for that because it'll have to be someone he thinks can be very, very special. But the odds of it are very slim, in my opinion.
most have him ranked the 4th-6th best QB in the draft this year, prolly a 2nd or 3rd rounder.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:

Kid is a winner, and that bowl was far from his best game. That being said when faced Arizona, which has a number of pro prospects on its defense, at the beginning of the season he failed big time. He will get selected in mid rounds but most likely he will be back-up in the league.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #12
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Too early to take him IMO, either we take a guy at #10 or wait until the late rounds is my bet.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I would much rather the Broncos just hang in there with Orton for a couple of years, draft a better back-up than Simms, and position themselves to win the Matt Barkley sweepstakes a couple of years down the road.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #14
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You think Tom Brady felt threatened when the Pats used a 3rd on Kevin O'Connell?

McDaniels is probably going to bring at least one QB in this off-season to compete. Who that is depends on what some other teams do. If the Jets cut Kevin O'Connell I think its entirely possible we pick him up and don't draft a QB. Same with if Brady Quinn is readily available. If neither of those options pan out then he'll look to draft someone, but it'll have to be a good fit from a need and talent standpoint.

If the FO has Pike or McCoy rated as a 1st round talent and they slide to our second round pick they'll jump. If they don't see a good value fit like that until the later rounds that is when the pick will be made. Orton is the starter for next year so there isn't an immediate need, McDaniels can instead focus on bigger areas of need (DL and OL primarily) and address QB when he sees good value.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I like Dan LeFevour....I think he will end up being a second or third round pick.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #16
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
He will not admit anything that puts himself in a bad light.
Yep - just like how he kept playing Alphonso Smith all year to prove everyone who questioned that move wrong... Wait - he benched Smith for an UDFA rookie... Hmm, guess he is willing to put himself in a bad light.
outdoor_miner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #17
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I would much rather the Broncos just hang in there with Orton for a couple of years, draft a better back-up than Simms, and position themselves to win the Matt Barkley sweepstakes a couple of years down the road.
If we are in a position to draft Matt Barkley a few years from now, we will have been so bad that Orton, Simms, and McD would most likely already be gone.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #18
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

I've watched a lot of this kids games over the years and he finds the way to win games and has ran the spread.
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Or if McD drafts a QB it just means that our current backup sucks donkey a$$. Unless Orton thinks Simms is a great backup QB ofcourse.
exactly. look in recent years of other teams drafting QBs when there is already an established starter. NE drafted O'Connell in the 2nd or 3rd round with Brady the obvious starter. GB drafted Brohm in the 2nd with Rodgers the obvious starter.

drafting a QB on the 1st day of the draft doesn't always mean a team has no faith in the starter they have. it simply means they felt that a pick on a solid backup for that starter was a good choice.

i am all for Orton being our starter, but if by some chance, McCoy, Lefevour, Snead, Locker happen to fall to the 2nd or even 3rd round, i think you would need to pull the trigger on that.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtown View Post
If we are in a position to draft Matt Barkley a few years from now, we will have been so bad that Orton, Simms, and McD would most likely already be gone.
Or, they could make a few deals and build up some draft choices so that they could trade up when the time came.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #21
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Or, they could make a few deals and build up some draft choices so that they could trade up when the time came.
so, you people on the Barkley bandwagon would rather the team wallow in mediocrity for the next few years while accumulating enough picks to go after a QB who at best will take a year or 2 to get ready for the pro game?

that is retarded.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #22
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
LeFevour didn't look anything special to me, though that Bowl game was the first full game I've seen of him I must admit.
I had to look up his name to see where he was playing college ball. If you actually watched Central Michigan vs. Troy, you're a better college football fan than me...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #23
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

LeFevour shouldn't be more than a 4th round pick. His arm is too inconsistent. He'll cleanly miss WR"s when he has boatloads of time to throw the ball. Yes, he is a solid athlete but the goal as a QB is to throw the ball.

What he does have is intangibles and playmaking ability when things break down. That will warrant a selection from somebody later in the draft.

He's got a lot of Jake Plummer in him.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #24
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
so, you people on the Barkley bandwagon would rather the team wallow in mediocrity for the next few years while accumulating enough picks to go after a QB who at best will take a year or 2 to get ready for the pro game?

that is retarded.
What would be retarded is to take one of the mediocre QBs in this draft (who would be no better than Orton for the next two years) with a high draft pick, pay him a ton of money, and then not be able to go after a true, franchise QB in a couple of years cause you've put your ass in a bind. That would truly be retarded.

BTW, I didn't know there were "people" or a bandwagon. First I've heard of it. I thought it was just my own, genius idea.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 01-08-2010 at 01:00 PM..
Old 01-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #25
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I had to look up his name to see where he was playing college ball. If you actually watched Central Michigan vs. Troy, you're a better college football fan than me...
It was actually a decent game, though me watching it was largely due to there being nothing else on at midnight on a Wednesday night.