The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default Want to Help Fix the Offense, Start Here...

Last straw? Cribbs intends to walk out on Browns after low offer

NFL.com Wire Reports
Josh Cribbs believes it's "unlikely" that he will play another game for the Cleveland Browns. Insulted by the Browns' latest contract offer, Cribbs intends to clean out his locker, and one of his agents said the Pro Bowler will demand a trade.

"I'm hurt because I don't want to play for nobody else," Cribbs said Wednesday night. "But the way they're talking, they're leaving me no choice."

Cribbs was the Browns' most valuable player this season. He played wide receiver and quarterback, and he also returned and covered kickoffs and punts. He even set the NFL career record for most kickoff returns for touchdowns.

But agent Peter Schaffer said Wednesday that the Browns failed to live up to previous promises they made to Cribbs and offered him $1.4 million annually for six years, well below market value. Schaffer said there's "no more middle ground" and he's "extremely shocked" that new team president Mike Holmgren wouldn't understand Cribbs' value to the Browns.

"We're going to formally put in a request for a trade," J.R. Rickert, Cribbs' other agent, told NFL Network's Jason La Canfora. "He will not set foot in that facility again. If they had offered even something like $2.5 million per season, we could have worked with them, but to me, this offer is indefensible."

Rickert said Browns vice president of football administration Dawn Aponte, who handles contract negotiations, told him the offer was final and that Holmgren was in agreement with her.

"Dawn said this was it, this was their offer," Rickert said. "She said it would be 1.4 today, 1.4 in March and 1.4 in August."

Cribbs said last month that the team had promised to give him a new contract by the end of the season. Even in the days leading up to the Browns' season finale against the Jacksonville Jaguars last Sunday, Cribbs remained optimistic that something would get done.

Not anymore.

"I did all the playing I'm going to play on this contract," Cribbs said. "I ain't doing nothing. I'm not showing my face until it's right."

Rickert said he asked the team if it needed or wanted more time to consider things, especially with Holmgren just coming on the job, and that he told Aponte if she didn't change the offer or request more time to negotiate by 5 p.m. Wednesday, he would take the unusual tactic of making the offer public.

"I didn't feel like we had any other choice than to let the Browns fans know exactly what was going on," Rickert said, "and let them know why Josh was preparing to leave."

Said Schaffer: "I'm extremely shocked. I have tremendous respect for Mike Holmgren. I know he knows how to put a team together. I was optimistic that with him coming aboard that he would understand and that Josh would be rewarded. To see there is no change in their position is insulting."

Holmgren said Tuesday that he had contact with Cribbs' representatives when he was at home in Arizona. Holmgren intimated that he planned to take care of Cribbs but only after fair negotiations.

"I believe players should be rewarded for what they do," Holmgren said. "I have no problems with that at all. What happens, though, on occasion is our view of how much that should be and the agent's view of how much that should be differs. We have made an effort.

"We will continue to make an effort to handle Josh's situation. I want Josh here."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
TheDave
Sauced...

Marshall for cribbs and a pick?
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

I don't know how this would fix the offense seeing as how Cribbs has never been much of a receiving threat.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

lowballing a player seems like the "IN" thing to do these days and very rarely ends well
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

accept for the fact Cribbs is not a proven WR like Marshall

Cribbs is a speedster WR ..... how do you hit a speed WR downfield if 3yds is the longest pattern.

amazing how those new england coaches deal with their players ehh. Well at least the ones who want to get paid for production.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
lowballing a player seems like the "IN" thing to do these days and very rarely ends well
The only position that doesn't get low balled is the QB position.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

I would do a trade involving Marshall and Cribbs. Cribbs "is" the Cleveland Browns offense and special teams. He can learn the receiver position and their is this draft, which might yield some gems.

It would be nice to stick Marshall in a city like Cleveland.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I wouldn't give Cribbs a big time contract. He is amazing at certain things, so I think he had value, but as far as an every down player, he's limited. Even though he's limited, $1.4 million for what he brings is insulting. He can really help a team win a game with a hand full of plays. Didn't help the Browns much, because they flat out suck, but he could help a good team be even better. $2.5 million doesn't seem like too much for what he brings. Hell, there are players who don't do as much as him that make more than $2.5 million.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Cribbs=Hester. Great return men, nothing more.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Yeah I haven't been terribly impressed with Cribbs' moonlighting at receiver, so he wouldn't fix anyone's offense. That being said he's the best damn returner in the league, I could definitely find a roster spot for him. The only thing I dont' like about him is that it seems like he's been publicly pissing and moaning about his contract for years.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtown View Post
I would do a trade involving Marshall and Cribbs. Cribbs "is" the Cleveland Browns offense and special teams. He can learn the receiver position and their is this draft, which might yield some gems.

It would be nice to stick Marshall in a city like Cleveland.
The sounds an awful lot like the Hester experiment. Cribbs is no Marshall.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #12
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazi_kal View Post
The sounds an awful lot like the Hester experiment. Cribbs is no Marshall.
That maybe how it plays out. But if we don't fix the run game, we are just shuffling deck chairs on the titanic.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

If the Browns want to throw their 1st + Cribbs for Marshall, I wouldn't be opposed to that. Cribbs only wants $2.5M? Seriously?? Sign us up!
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
If the Browns want to throw their 1st + Cribbs for Marshall, I wouldn't be opposed to that. Cribbs only wants $2.5M? Seriously?? Sign us up!
the guy is better than Hester also IMO, he is an amazing return man who has a far bigger upside at WR than Hester
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #15
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Cribbs=Hester. Great return men, nothing more.
Does pretty damn well in the wildcat. He is a run threat, can catch the ball, and if you are giving up Marshall then you obviously need to inject some sort of spark or wrinkle into the offense.

I would not be opposed at all to a 1 + Cribbs for Marshall.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #16
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

I thought he moved to RB during the season? I may be thinking of someone else.

edit. no they were talking about it mid-December but nothing seems to have happened...

Cribbs/Moreno though! Boom!
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #17
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlayShay View Post
Does pretty damn well in the wildcat. He is a run threat, can catch the ball, and if you are giving up Marshall then you obviously need to inject some sort of spark or wrinkle into the offense.

I would not be opposed at all to a 1 + Cribbs for Marshall.
Would he make a good wildhorse though ?
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Key to the offense? Improve the line. When the line was playing well, we were winning games. Its simple. Good football teams have great lines.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Key to the offense? Improve the line. When the line was playing well, we were winning games. Its simple. Good football teams have great lines.
absolutely agree
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #20
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton

Cribbs isn't a reciever, hes an amazing return guy and is ok at the wild cat/horse/dog/tomfoolery...But when you look at it in the long run we have Royal who is a consistent return man and decent receiver. Do we need Cribbs no, might he take some pressure off of Royal, yes, and in the long run maybe we can turn Cribbs into a slight down the field type threat possibly. Do we want to pay the money he wants for that...definately not.
missingnumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #21
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Holmgren isn't stupid, he knows what happens to guy like Mathis, Cribbs, Hester and Dante Hall, they slow down or suffer a big injury sooner rather than later and people start planning for them which takes them out of the game. No reason to pay a guy who will never be a major offensive weapon like a guy who is a major offensive weapon, especially with the CBA still very much in limbo.

I would love Cribbs on a short deal with decent money, but he is not someone you can give a 20 million deal over 4 years to without getting your behind burned.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #22
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Holmgren isn't stupid, he knows what happens to guy like Mathis, Cribbs, Hester and Dante Hall, they slow down or suffer a big injury sooner rather than later and people start planning for them which takes them out of the game. No reason to pay a guy who will never be a major offensive weapon like a guy who is a major offensive weapon, especially with the CBA still very much in limbo.

I would love Cribbs on a short deal with decent money, but he is not someone you can give a 20 million deal over 4 years to without getting your behind burned.
He's only asking for $2.5 million a year, what about 4 years / $10M?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #23
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in McLA View Post
Hell, there are players who don't do as much as him that make more than $2.5 million.
Chris Simms to the red courtesy phone, please. Chris Simms to the red courtesy phone.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #24
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRulon McVelvet McJones View Post
Chris Simms to the red courtesy phone, please. Chris Simms to the red courtesy phone.
Oh no you di - ent...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #25
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRulon McVelvet McJones View Post
Wasn't that also what we spent on Koutivedes (however you spell it, I'm not going to look it up)?