The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Default Analysis: Marshall may not be easy for Broncos to trade

Analysis: Marshall may not be easy for Broncos to trade
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/07/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Wide receiver Brandon Marshall wants out of Denver and the Broncos would like to trade him.

But Marshall's value to other NFL teams and what the Broncos can get for him in a trade remain to be determined.

On Marshall's side of the ledger are three consecutive 100-catch seasons, two Pro Bowl selections and top-tier size (6-feet-4 and 240 pounds) in a league filled with smaller cornerbacks.

Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton has called Marshall "a special player," and defensive coordinators who face the Broncos say he is a difficult matchup to deal with.

But a look at Marshall's performance in the 2009 season reveals why not every team in the league is doing handstands for the opportunity to surrender high-value draft picks to get him.

Some question Marshall's impact. New England wide receiver Randy Moss isn't going to the Pro Bowl, while Marshall is, but Moss finished with more receiving yards, more yards per catch, more first downs and more touchdowns than Marshall.

A receiver of similar size, San Diego's Vincent Jackson, is faster in the open field and averaged more than 6 yards per catch above what Marshall averaged this season.

Touchdowns, yards per catch and first downs — those are impact numbers.

Some of Marshall's numbers this season — good and bad — were a product of the Broncos' problems on offense. But Marshall doesn't seem nearly as comfortable reeling in the ball and making the catch with his back to the quarterback, which is why most of his work in the Denver offense has come on routes when he is facing the quarterback and can look the ball in instead of turning his head to look back while running.

It's also why you don't see him working the sidelines much in places where he has to go get the ball and get his feet down in limited space.

That's why 65 of Marshall's catches this season, with runs after the catch included, went for 10 yards or fewer. That's 64.4 percent of his receiving plays. And 30 of his catch-and-run plays went for 5 yards or fewer, including two for negative yardage. That's 29.7 percent and basically amounts to a running play.

Not to drown in the numbers, but Marshall had just 10 receiving plays this season — the catch and run — for 21 yards or more, and half of his 10 touchdowns came on plays of 5 yards or fewer.

That says "possession receiver" to many in the NFL, and possession receivers don't reel in the mega dollars. Some personnel evaluators question Marshall's ability to catch the ball in downfield traffic.

So opinions are divided on both Marshall as a player, and that's not even considering some teams' concerns about his maturity and ability to handle a huge contract — and just how much they would surrender to get him from the Broncos.

That also puts the Broncos in a position to consider all offers carefully. If they take the hard-line approach, teams might back away from Marshall, thinking the Broncos may release him rather than risk putting him back in their locker room as an unhappy player.

One general manager in the NFL recently said if Marshall is so good that the Broncos would want premium draft picks for him, then Marshall is good enough for the Broncos to put up with him.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/br...#ixzz0bwOLJQHc
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

No way in Hell Denver outright releases Marshall. You either play him or trade him. He doesn't get to walk.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
One general manager in the NFL recently said if Marshall is so good that the Broncos would want premium draft picks for him, then Marshall is good enough for the Broncos to put up with him.
that is actually very interesting
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I wish Washington would get in on this now that Shanahan is back. I would take a 2nd, 3rd, and a WR from Washingtons roster for him. Maybe Santana Moss would make a good Wes Welker in our system.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieopperude View Post
I wish Washington would get in on this now that Shanahan is back. I would take a 2nd, 3rd, and a WR from Washingtons roster for him. Maybe Santana Moss would make a good Wes Welker in our system.
Jesus no to the nth degree

we have Eddie Royal who could probably be a better Wes Welker in our system than Wes Welker
Old 01-07-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

maybe this "other GM" is just trying to lower Marshall's value to get him?

I bet we'll tender him 1st & 3rd, and someone will sign him.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:46 AM   #7
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joel Dresseen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
Jesus no to the nth degree

we have Eddie Royal who could probably be a better Wes Welker in our system than Wes Welker
No kidding.

WR1 Dez Bryant
WR2 Gaffney
WR3 Royal

cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
maybe this "other GM" is just trying to lower Marshall's value to get him?

I bet we'll tender him 1st & 3rd, and someone will sign him.
I agree with you and I think we should be thrilled with that. Listen, I like Marshall as a player and I really wish it would work out but the fact is that despite his production, he is an issue in the locker room no matter who's fault it is. My major concern isn't really Brandon, it is how the vets that seem to have had enough of his crap respond to the coach if we keep Brandon and he continues this line of drama.

I am pretty sure we can fill the void of Brandon far easier than the leadership of Dawkins.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
If Legwold would have thought about this quote rather than just tacking it on after hitting his word count he might have wrote something with some sense to it.

Marshall is going to get the maximum RFA tender because there will not be a new CBA. That means either A. he plays for the Broncos at ~$3M next season in another contract year. B. his agent finds a team willing to poison pill his contract and also willing to give us a 1st and 3rd to do just that. Or C. his agent finds a team willing to give him the money he wants but who isn't willing to give up a 1st a 3rd. That team then needs to find something other than a 1st and 3rd that the Broncos would be willing to take in return, when refusing anything else simply results in them getting to keep a two time Pro Bowl WR for $3M next season.

The Broncos have all the leverage. Marshall can act like a b**** all he wants but ultimately if he wants to get paid the Broncos either get paid too or he plays his ass off and keeps his nose clean for another season.

My personal bet is that Baltimore will sign him and give us their 1st and 3rd. They'll bet on their strong locker room and a nice contract reigning him in, not to mention being back on the east coast. They need an elite WR to go with Flacco, so its a perfect fit.

Last edited by Drek; 01-07-2010 at 07:53 AM..
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinal11 View Post
No kidding.

WR1 Dez Bryant
WR2 Gaffney
WR3 Royal

yes, because it's so common for rookie WR's to step right in and be the team's best receiver.........
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #11
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joel Dresseen

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
yes, because it's so common for rookie WR's to step right in and be the team's best receiver.........
X - Bryant
Y - Gaffney
Z - Royal

Better?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #12
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
ahh, but it would be ok for a rookie QB to step right in and be the team's best slinger

got it
Old 01-07-2010, 08:03 AM   #13
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
I think Bryant would be used to play the Randy Moss role if we were to draft him.

It's not an entirely complex role in all honesty, and one that a guy as talented as Bryant would probably make a decent fist of. He's not going to be Moss, obviously, but even the presence of a guy like that on the field will open things up for the other receivers, provided Orton actually throws the occasional ball downfield that is.

Eddie Royal seemed to be the guy playing this role for us more often than not this year, and he's desperately unsuited to it in all honesty. He's fast, but his real talent is in his short routes and safe hands. If Marshall goes, I expect he'll have a good year in 2010.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #14
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Touchdowns, yards per catch and first downs — those are impact numbers.
I think Ashley Lelie proved that yards per catch is the most useless of all recieving stats and has absolutely no correlation to how good a reciever is.

I agree TDs are a big number and only 4 WRs had more this year than Marshall, that says something (and they all did it in 16 rather than 15 games).

Marshall is only number 10 among WRs for 1st downs, but compounding that with his 5th in TDs that still adds up to a top 10 spot.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #15
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
ahh, but it would be ok for a rookie QB to step right in and be the team's best slinger

got it
How many QBs do you have playing on your team? because with the Broncos we only have 1, so whoever that is is automatically the best, it is really a default thing.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #16
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

everybody is on Bryant...what about Benn from Illinois?

Arrelious Benn - Illinois (HT: 6'2" | WT: 220)
Projection: 1st Round

Strengths:
-Has great body control, works the sidelines well and has good footwork, possesses great strength
-Is the complete package, very physical and strong, a tough WR with good size
-Can block very well, and has needed to playing with a mobile QB in Juice Williams
-Good runner after the catch, not afraid of contact, is hard to tackle
-Very hard worker, has improved every year prior to this season
-Has breakaway speed (4.4 40)
-Has good hands

Weaknesses:
-Needs to work on his route running
-Lack of productivity in 2009 (67 catches, 1055 yards last year vs. 36/429 this season)
-Just six career touchdowns
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #17
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:

got it
We could draft and develop a QB this next season--then let Orton kill another season with him lack of telant and with 3 games to go, insert our rookie QB.........THAT IS THE BEST OPTION.

I am still holding out hope for Brandstater--I really liked him in the pre-season.........

but recent hisory has told us that rookie QB's usually fair better in their first season than rookie WR's
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #18
DrFate
Lord of Order

Marshall will be easy to trade.

Just realize people aren't giving their next 5 #1 picks in the deal...
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #19
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
that is actually very interesting
What a load of ****. TO was THAT good and teams couldn't wait to deal him. And Marshall isn't TO crazy
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #20
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

I think one thing Brandon needs to work on is actually his YAC. I know this is one thing that fans love to see him do, try and juke and spin, etc..., but I think he actually leaves more yards on the field by doing this. He would be better served just getting up field. That is one part about Gaffney's game that I like. As soon as he makes the catch he turns it up field.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #21
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinal11 View Post
X - Bryant
Y - Gaffney
Z - Royal

Better?
I never get this kind of logic. lets see: You already have a young receiver entering his prime that has proven to be one of the top 5 in the game. I know, lets trade that guy for an unproven commodity at the same position! BRILLIANT!

If youre gonna trade marshall, you do it with the eye to upgrade a different position.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #22
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlayShay View Post
I think one thing Brandon needs to work on is actually his YAC. I know this is one thing that fans love to see him do, try and juke and spin, etc..., but I think he actually leaves more yards on the field by doing this. He would be better served just getting up field. That is one part about Gaffney's game that I like. As soon as he makes the catch he turns it up field.
yes but if Marshall doesn't do what he does we don't win the Dallas game
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #23
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joel Dresseen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I never get this kind of logic. lets see: You already have a young receiver entering his prime that has proven to be one of the top 5 in the game. I know, lets trade that guy for an unproven commodity at the same position! BRILLIANT!

If youre gonna trade marshall, you do it with the eye to upgrade a different position.
Bryant and Marshall are 2 different types of players IMO.

As big and strong as Marshall is, he doesn't stretch the field. As the article is alluding to, most of his catches are short routes where he is facing the QB. He is..um... a dynamic possesion receiver. He moves the chains, I'll give him that.

Bryant would stretch the field and assuming we have someone who can get him the ball, that's 1 thing, among others, this offense needs to address in the offseason.

I don't think we would be trading Marshall to replace him with the same player. You can't possibly tell me you think we can trade Marshall and replace his production in house.

Don't get me wrong, despite all of his off the field drama, I love going to battle with #15. Guy is a beast.

Last edited by cousinal11; 01-07-2010 at 08:43 AM..
Old 01-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #24
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

What about Vincent Jackson? Is he going to be available? Would be nice to bring him back to Colorado.
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #25
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
yes but if Marshall doesn't do what he does we don't win the Dallas game
Actually that is a perfect example of him going for extra yards, but making moves going north/south. Too many times he will move backwards, stop his feet, move to the side, etc.. trying to get more yards. It works sometimes, but it is costly in many instances.

Last edited by BigPlayShay; 01-07-2010 at 08:51 AM..
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote