The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,040

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default Why the BCS rankings are a joke

With only 2 days of bowl games left, a clear picture is emerging, the BCS ranked teams are losing big.

If Central Michigan loses to Troy tonight, and it looks like they might that would make ranked teams 3-4 in bowl games against unranked teams.

What is even worse is how better ranked teams have fared against lower ranked teams: 3-5 not counting the BCS bowl.

The BCS rankings are so bad that they can only hope to break even if Central Michigan pulls a last minute win and Alabama wins the championship. At worst the favourite teams would win only 6 of 16 bowl games.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 
No avatar is the new avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,598

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy
Default

The BCS does not determine a "Favorite" that would be Las Vegas.

If #5 beats #3 and #6 beats #4 that is not really an upset since they are so closely ranked.... Same goes for Iowa beating GA Tech.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Jerry Curl
Seasoned Veteran
 
Jerry Curl's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 387
Default

MWC= 4-1(damn TCU)...where's the automatic bid? Eff the bcs.
Jerry Curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Curl View Post
MWC= 4-1(damn TCU)...where's the automatic bid? Eff the bcs.
Or how about the fact that the MWC schedule is a joke when you 4-5 horrible teams in there, one thats decent in Air Force, and then you have 3 teams that are inconsistent in TCU, BYU and Utah, and to add to that, it isn't exactly like some of these schools have shown they have been able to compete with the big boys for a long time.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,715

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoneco1331 View Post
Or how about the fact that the MWC schedule is a joke when you 4-5 horrible teams in there, one thats decent in Air Force, and then you have 3 teams that are inconsistent in TCU, BYU and Utah, and to add to that, it isn't exactly like some of these schools have shown they have been able to compete with the big boys for a long time.
maybe if they were given the opportunity to (ie chance at a national championship) the top recruits would stop going to the same 10 schools?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
misturanderson
Ring of Famer
 
Why not?

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diago
Posts: 1,783

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoneco1331 View Post
Or how about the fact that the MWC schedule is a joke when you 4-5 horrible teams in there, one thats decent in Air Force, and then you have 3 teams that are inconsistent in TCU, BYU and Utah, and to add to that, it isn't exactly like some of these schools have shown they have been able to compete with the big boys for a long time.
But the Big East has?
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:52 AM   #7
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,096

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

College football is nothing more then a money making business for colleges and a recruitment league for the NFL. No playoffs, only stupid voting and computer calculations. If they ever get a playoff system, I will start watching again. I know college football makes alot of money but the best thing going in college sports is "THE TOURNAMENT". It's thrill factor is 20 times that of any game in college football. And the funny thing is I love football way more then I do whoops. But with no playoffs, I can't stand it.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:01 AM   #8
TexanBob
Don't Argue With Me
 
You Know I'm Right

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 5,012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darris Nash
Default

If all college teams were equally motivated to win their bowl games, it might be a fair comparison, but it isn't. After a five-week layoff for many of them, the team that can stay focused and in playing shape is usually the one that wins the bowl. Take Alabama last year. Sure, it was the Sugar Bowl but they all knew that was the consolation prize for losing to Florida. Utah, OTOH, showed up with a mission to get some national respect. Bama had nothing to play for. So guess who won?

Except for #1 vs #2, there's just not much motivation behind some matchups and the teams play like it.

A playoff reduces the number of bowls that are just meaningless exhibitions and makes the games count for something. THEN you'd have a better measure of which teams are better than others.
TexanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:01 AM   #9
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,853

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho
Default

BCS stands for Big Crock of **** for a reason.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:56 AM   #10
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,540

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoneco1331 View Post
Or how about the fact that the MWC schedule is a joke when you 4-5 horrible teams in there, one thats decent in Air Force, and then you have 3 teams that are inconsistent in TCU, BYU and Utah, and to add to that, it isn't exactly like some of these schools have shown they have been able to compete with the big boys for a long time.
How about the fact that the schedule that Florida and Alabama played was as much of a joke. I mean Charleston Southern and Chatanooga are terrifying opponents. Not to mention Kentucky. Florida played one ranked team, LSU, until Alabama, and LSU was only ranked because they are a BCS team, not because they are a "big boy". They stayed in the top 10 despite playing NOBODY except Alabama, Florida and lost and one other ranked team, Georgia, who fell out of the rankings. So why was LSU ranked so high? Oh not because they were actually playing the big boys but because they were a BCS big boy. Why do you think they put Boise State and TCU together in a bowl game. To avoid further embarrassment. You'd think they'd learn

They can't compete with the big boys? When are they given the chance? And when they are, they win. Whoever said Alabama had nothing to play for is full of ****. Utah dominated the entire game and yes, Alabama was trying. You obviously did not watch the game. The only difference is the BCS gives the BCS schools the bulk of the money, they are able to hire great coaches, such as Urban Meyer. Yep the same Urban Meyer that took Utah to an undefeated season. The fact you buy into the BCS BS is hilarious.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,040

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
The BCS does not determine a "Favorite" that would be Las Vegas.

If #5 beats #3 and #6 beats #4 that is not really an upset since they are so closely ranked.... Same goes for Iowa beating GA Tech.
The BCS with its rankings say that #3 is better than number #4, that is the whole premise of the ranking.

Las Vegas determines a favourite? Las Vegas doesn't determine **** other than how to minimize the probability of having to pay out large amounts of money, they don't care who wins as long as the spread protects them from losing money.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!
 
Jason in LA's Avatar
 
Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LA
Posts: 11,853
Default

I think the BCS is a joke, but not for the reasons stated in this thread. The BCS poll isn't that much different from the AP or coaches poll. Outside of the top two teams, and the other BCS Bowl games, who really cares what their rankings are? And their rankings don't determine who is going to win a game.

The BCS fails to give us a legit way to determine who plays for the national championship. It robs teams of the opportunity to play for the title. It's a horrible system and a playoff system, one that would keep the bowl system intact, would be awesome.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,841

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
With only 2 days of bowl games left, a clear picture is emerging, the BCS ranked teams are losing big.

If Central Michigan loses to Troy tonight, and it looks like they might that would make ranked teams 3-4 in bowl games against unranked teams.

What is even worse is how better ranked teams have fared against lower ranked teams: 3-5 not counting the BCS bowl.

The BCS rankings are so bad that they can only hope to break even if Central Michigan pulls a last minute win and Alabama wins the championship. At worst the favourite teams would win only 6 of 16 bowl games.
Bowl games played 45 days after the season mean very little. Bolw games are alos for the fans of the teams and Alumni to go to the game and watch the team play. Not for the football fan that just watches it on TV.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,841

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in McLA View Post
I think the BCS is a joke, but not for the reasons stated in this thread. The BCS poll isn't that much different from the AP or coaches poll. Outside of the top two teams, and the other BCS Bowl games, who really cares what their rankings are? And their rankings don't determine who is going to win a game.

The BCS fails to give us a legit way to determine who plays for the national championship. It robs teams of the opportunity to play for the title. It's a horrible system and a playoff system, one that would keep the bowl system intact, would be awesome.
When the BCS first started the statistical polls accounted for 75 percent. Now they count for 25 percent and the coaches poll and harris poll count the most....so of course it mimicks the subjective polls.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #15
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,841

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBob View Post
If all college teams were equally motivated to win their bowl games, it might be a fair comparison, but it isn't. After a five-week layoff for many of them, the team that can stay focused and in playing shape is usually the one that wins the bowl. Take Alabama last year. Sure, it was the Sugar Bowl but they all knew that was the consolation prize for losing to Florida. Utah, OTOH, showed up with a mission to get some national respect. Bama had nothing to play for. So guess who won?

Except for #1 vs #2, there's just not much motivation behind some matchups and the teams play like it.

A playoff reduces the number of bowls that are just meaningless exhibitions and makes the games count for something. THEN you'd have a better measure of which teams are better than others.
Exactly. Samething happened to Virginia Tech in 95. We wanted respect and Texas was just playing in another big bowl game...so we kicked the crap out of them 28-10.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #16
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,841

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
The BCS with its rankings say that #3 is better than number #4, that is the whole premise of the ranking.

Las Vegas determines a favourite? Las Vegas doesn't determine **** other than how to minimize the probability of having to pay out large amounts of money, they don't care who wins as long as the spread protects them from losing money.
He's right though. What's the difference between team 25 and team number 1? 3 to 4 wins...maybe. Make the range smaller and the difference is even less.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #17
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
Hoya Saxa!!

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: DC
Posts: 921

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
College football is nothing more then a money making business for colleges and a recruitment league for the NFL. No playoffs, only stupid voting and computer calculations. If they ever get a playoff system, I will start watching again. I know college football makes alot of money but the best thing going in college sports is "THE TOURNAMENT". It's thrill factor is 20 times that of any game in college football. And the funny thing is I love football way more then I do whoops. But with no playoffs, I can't stand it.
I agree with you totally. But what gets me is the financial windfall that a tournament would produce. These BCS a-holes and those representing the major conferences do not realize how much money is to be made with a tourney. It's a win-win for college football fans and the NCAA alike.

I don't watch one second of college basketball during the regular season, nor do I even really care about basketball as a sport, but once March Madness starts I am all over that.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #18
snowspot66
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,785
Default

I might watch college football if it had a playoff system. As it is I never bother to watch a game. It's all meaningless as far as I'm concerned. A season full of exhibition games.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #19
Jerry Curl
Seasoned Veteran
 
Jerry Curl's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoneco1331 View Post
Or how about the fact that the MWC schedule is a joke when you 4-5 horrible teams in there, one thats decent in Air Force, and then you have 3 teams that are inconsistent in TCU, BYU and Utah, and to add to that, it isn't exactly like some of these schools have shown they have been able to compete with the big boys for a long time.
Utah is inconsistent? I guess 9 straight bowl wins(2 against bcs schools) isn't much huh? I'm not saying the MWC is up with the SEC or anything but c'mon the Big East isn't better at all, Cinci got rolled and would of got rolled by TCU or Boise.
Jerry Curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #20
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

It's a joke because you end up with two teams like Boise State and TCU in a major bowl game. That looked like a high school playoff game or cripple fight...... either one, pitiful game to watch on a prime time network.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #21
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,795

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci
Default

If they continue rankings it shouldnt be placed on teams until midway through the season. After that, the top 8 should have a playoff.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:32 PM.


Denver Broncos