The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default What did everyone think of this years ameoba offense

I remember how in the beginning of the offseason the talk was all about the ameoba offense, how the identity would change game to game. I just wondered if anyone else thought that was kind of funny in retrospect. Don't get me wrong, when I think of this season I am going to think of the incredible offensive changes from one game to the next. Transformations really.
Some games the 15 screens would go only to the right, then the next game, it would be a mix of which way the 15 screens went. On 3rd or 4th and short they would call only Moreno runs into the middle, then the next game the short yardage calls would change completely into Moreno to the slightly off-center.
It is really refreshing when we are not at all predictable, when we are so versatile that we cannot be prepared for. I can't wait for the wrinkles he will put in this year.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

Well we ran the wild horses against NE.
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

When you can't run the ball or protect the QB, the playbook dwindles in a hurry. I'll judge this offense when McD has the players he wants in it, and they have the ability to run the ball.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

This offense was nothing close to what I was expecting it to be.
We did seem to have all the weapons to create favorable situations, but as it turned out, we became too predictable; not enough mix of players catching the ball during a game.
In other words, I would've loved to see our offense spread the ball some more...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Until we can run the ball effectively and get a receiver both big enough and fast enough to be a true deep threat (Royal too small, Marshall not fast by receiver standards) this offense will be limited. On the bright side it seems to be very good at getting guys open and putting us in good positions for third downs. We had a lot of short yardage on third down this year. Didn't do **** with it but that should improve next year if that historically based projection based on our first and second down production holds true.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Definitely had some ups and downs on offense. I do think we at times got way too cute instead of going for the throat when we had the chance.

One thing that did seem obvious was that in some games we had a very limited game plan that we didn't deviate from even when it became apparent that things weren't working.

I hope we can get a fuller game book and more variated playcalling next season, it really did seem like we too often relied on the gameplan to score points, and if something wasn't in there then we just didn't do anything.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

It's difficult to judge this offense until we can line up and run right at teams. If you watched the Chiefs game... we had very little problem moving the ball through the air. But, we had all sorts of trouble running the ball.

Until that's fixed, this offense won't be consistently productive.

It all starts up front, and my guess is that we'll put a lot of resources into upgrading the interior line so this isn't the case next year.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
It's difficult to judge this offense until we can line up and run right at teams. If you watched the Chiefs game... we had very little problem moving the ball through the air. But, we had all sorts of trouble running the ball.

Until that's fixed, this offense won't be consistently productive.

It all starts up front, and my guess is that we'll put a lot of resources into upgrading the interior line so this isn't the case next year.
Until Orton was forced to throw to his 2nd option, then the INT's came as fast as a Bears game.

I don't think Orton will ever get any better than what we saw this last year, there was a reason he was thrown away by Chicago to sweeten the pot to complete the trade.

The more I think about it Cutler's mobility made the Oline better and the Oline made Cutler better. Orton has no mobility and goes down if brushed against.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

It's too bad Hillis wasn't given more of a chance to contribute.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I thought the offense was pathetic. We had some players that could contribute, but they weren't given the proper opportunity to. The scheme sucked. Magically a offensive line which gave up 12 sacks gave up, what, 40? Eddie Royal should be listed on the back of a milkcarton the way he was erased from playing offense.

This is not the offense I thought we were going to have, coming out the shoots with our newly minted offensive genius. Maybe the McD show in New England was really the Tom Brady and Pro Bowler's at WR show?
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Well, I realize you guys are right, and this offense won't show what it could be until it has the right pieces in place. I think that is pretty much true for every team in the NFL though (few teams have a perfect fit offense at all positions), and I think most coaches would say that Denver has (had?) more raw talent on offense then all but a handful of teams in the NFL. I guess I am just bitter because I bit into the amoeba offense offseason story and the last thing I expected this year was for Royal and Hillis to be ghosts and our scoring per game to be even worse then the sad number (for our talent level) it was last year. Right now this whole thing feels way to close to the Brian Billick story to be comfortable with me (builds reputation with record setting attacking offense with star studded recieving corps featuring Moss, never able to come close to high end offense with different personnel).
Oh well, give me a few months without football and an exciting draft and I will be biting on the next homer story.

Last edited by skpac1001; 01-06-2010 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: I spell at a second grade level.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #12
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

I agree with Taco that Hillis could've really brought a great element to this offense and I just can't understand why McD didn't use him other than the theory that he had trouble picking up the offense (I believe Hillis' inability to lineup correctly caused the team to burn a time out against NE and that was the last we really saw of him).

During camp I had the feeling the offense was being coached more to not make mistakes than make plays and that carried over into the season. There seemed to be a tough balance between trying to set a new identity and play winning football. I'm hopeful that in year two together with an OL better suited for this offense, McD and Orton will integrate more of the principles of his offense (dominating on the OL, a heavy dose of intermediate routes and passes to the RB lulling the defense to sleep and going down field for the dagger).
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #13
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

just came in to say happy birthday!
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
wandlc
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It is interesting that this line averaged more yards per game last year without having a regular RB all season. The decision to abandon the ZBS hurt the run game. The ZBS run game could have easily coexisted with the dink and dunk pass game and might have helped it out by allowing more play action with the mobile QB we have. Maybe in the future McD will get his head out of rectal defilade and turn down his arrogance a little bit. Mike Tomlin as a DC didn't run a 3-4 Defense, did he change the Steelers D when he got the job? No, he understood what he had in a DC and defense and continued with it. McD kept both Turner and Dennison for some reason which I have yet to figure out, he sure didn't use their abilities and knowledge.
wandlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #15
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandlc View Post
it is interesting that this line averaged more yards per game last year without having a regular rb all season. The decision to abandon the zbs hurt the run game. The zbs run game could have easily coexisted with the dink and dunk pass game and might have helped it out by allowing more play action with the mobile qb we have. Maybe in the future mcd will get his head out of rectal defilade and turn down his arrogance a little bit. mike tomlin as a dc didn't run a 3-4 defense, did he change the steelers d when he got the job? No, he understood what he had in a dc and defense and continued with it. mcd kept both turner and dennison for some reason which i have yet to figure out, he sure didn't use their abilities and knowledge.

+1
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #16
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Found it to be more of a paramecium.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #17
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
The Hillis thread to give him blowjobs in on page two I believe. Try looking there.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #18
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
It is interesting that this line averaged more yards per game last year without having a regular RB all season. The decision to abandon the ZBS hurt the run game. The ZBS run game could have easily coexisted with the dink and dunk pass game and might have helped it out by allowing more play action with the mobile QB we have. Maybe in the future McD will get his head out of rectal defilade and turn down his arrogance a little bit. Mike Tomlin as a DC didn't run a 3-4 Defense, did he change the Steelers D when he got the job? No, he understood what he had in a DC and defense and continued with it. McD kept both Turner and Dennison for some reason which I have yet to figure out, he sure didn't use their abilities and knowledge.
Next to why kamekaze pilots wore helmets, that's got to be one of the greatest mysteries in history...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #19
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I thought the offense was pathetic. We had some players that could contribute, but they weren't given the proper opportunity to. The scheme sucked. Magically a offensive line which gave up 12 sacks gave up, what, 40?
Try 29 sacks. Then subtract 17 to equal your twelve and that is how many more turnover we would have had on offense.

It's funny how people are thrilled with the Oline only giving up 12 sacks with a mobile Cutler, all the while instead of taking sacks, Cutler made up for it by throwing INTs, but Orton takes the sack instead all the while throwing way, way less INTs, and Orton is now the reason why the Oline sucks compared to last year.

Yeah, Ok.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #20
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Until Orton was forced to throw to his 2nd option, then the INT's came as fast as a Bears game.
Wrong.

He threw to his second option when he needed to. If you recall, his second option had a couple of drops earlier in the game. It had nothing to do with options, it has to do with teams knowing you're going to throw on every single down. Even a "great" QB like Cutler got into trouble last year because we had to do the same thing.

Again, a couple of the biggest plays in the game were to his 2nd and 3rd options. But, when you tell a defense you're simply going to pass on every down, they're eventually going to poach a couple of INTs.

Point being, no matter who is back there... it's a ridiculous position for an offense to be in. If you can't run the ball, you can't win games late in the year.

How many times do we have to go over this around here?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #21
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
+2 Don't run an offense you don't have the personnel for but have the best coach in the league for....ridiculous.
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #22
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Yep. It's a shame he couldn't earn it like the rest of the guys on the roster.

Maybe with his next team.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #23
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Yep. It's a shame he couldn't earn it like the rest of the guys on the roster.

Maybe with his next team.
Did you watch the year end presser with McD? What did you think about the lack details about what he was willing to say about Hillis but has been so willing to discuss regarding other players? I can't imagine how Hillis didn't earn the team's respect when McDaniels talked him up about his practice and training schedule on at least 2 occasions during press conferences. McD gave him one shot in the KC game and was sarcastic about it....like Hillis should have popped that play and made it happen. That was a horrible play call. What DC didin't know that play was coming. It's almost like he did it because he knew that journalist was going to ask.
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:31 AM   #24
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone13 View Post
Did you watch the year end presser with McD? What did you think about the lack details .
I think that's a polite way to say... "he's not as good as the other guys we have, and he's got problems with the mental side of the game."

But, that's just a guess.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:55 AM   #25
yerner
Ring of Famer

I thought the offense was awful. If you didn't know any better you never would have thought Mcdaniels is the young innovative coach that controlled the New England offense.

Its actually really odd how bad some players were in it, which has me thinking it might be entirely possible that lots of the broncos simply didnt know what they were doing.

Maybe there just wasn't enough time for the new playbook to get entirely comprehended this year. It could be that simple.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote