The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth
Default The Official Rolando McClain discussion thread

He seems to be the early favourite for us in mock drafts (all but guaranteeing he won't end up here). So we should definitely over analyze him.

I've yet to read a single bad thing about him, and I'm looking forward to watching him in the National Championship game tomorrow. I got to wondering though, is there any concern that he looks better than he is because he's playing behind Cody, or is he the real deal?
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I'm eagerly anticipating his game tomorrow night. I've seen some film on him and I haven't been as impressed as I thought I would be. I'm more excited about his numbers vs. actual production. He's enormous at 6'4", 245. Seems like he's solid athletically.

In interviews he doesn't come off that sharp IMO. On the field of play he's a run and chase LB but you won't find a lot of explosion from his movements. His engine seems hot and colt to me. Sometimes he's on and then other times he's just loafing around. I don't see a huge difference maker when I turn on his film, rather, I see a cog in an impressive engine that is just maintaining.

I'd compare him physically to a Chris Claiborne type that came out of USC a few years back. Much the same, he was a hot and cold player who just didn't play hard enough consistently.

We'll see the game tomorrow. After the film i've watched thus far, I wouldn't consider him at 10. There are better players out there who can help us more.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

He looks good to me. Would be a good replacement for Davis and could probably also play outside if needed.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
Elway777
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I'm eagerly anticipating his game tomorrow night. I've seen some film on him and I haven't been as impressed as I thought I would be. I'm more excited about his numbers vs. actual production. He's enormous at 6'4", 245. Seems like he's solid athletically.

In interviews he doesn't come off that sharp IMO. On the field of play he's a run and chase LB but you won't find a lot of explosion from his movements. His engine seems hot and colt to me. Sometimes he's on and then other times he's just loafing around. I don't see a huge difference maker when I turn on his film, rather, I see a cog in an impressive engine that is just maintaining.

I'd compare him physically to a Chris Claiborne type that came out of USC a few years back. Much the same, he was a hot and cold player who just didn't play hard enough consistently.

We'll see the game tomorrow. After the film i've watched thus far, I wouldn't consider him at 10. There are better players out there who can help us more.
I agee with you of what I watched on Utube videos. McClain is a good solid player that is not real explosive. I personal like Spikes for a Ted linebacker more because he is a more physical linebacker. I rather trade down in get Spikes then draft McClain.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway777 View Post
I agee with you of what I watched on Utube videos. McClain is a good solid player that is not real explosive. I personal like Spikes for a Ted linebacker more because he is a more physical linebacker. I rather trade down in get Spikes then draft McClain.
I'd like my MLB's in a 3-4 to be downhill players. The comparison always sits with Ray Lewis. Not really fair, because he's gonna go down as one of the greatest MLB's in history but you like that guy who hits the hole with a sledge hammer. I definitely see that more with Spikes than I do with McClain.

McCLain may end up being a very good player. I just haven't seen enough of him to say that he's a stand alone defender. What I mean by that is, he'll dominate on any defense, at any time. DJ Williams is another guy who isn't a stand alone guy. He's a product of the players around him. I would love to find a true difference maker at the Mike position but I don't see that person that at #10. We'd be better served looking at the offensive line/defensive line or edge rusher.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
meangene
Ring of Famer

I think he is a can't miss three down LB who is asked to do everything in Alabama's scheme. He is more like 260 and flies sideline to sideline, is a great blitzer (when given the opportunity) and is terrific in coverage. Far superior instincts to D.J. I would compare him more to Patrick Willis - a tackling machine. He looked like a much better player than Spikes in the SEC Championship game. I think he is too good to pass up at #10 even though Davis is adequate at ILB. My next choice would be Brian Price of UCLA to play DE. A little shorter than ideal but an incredibly active play-making 300 lbs. His stock will soar in the post-season workouts and combine.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
meangene
Ring of Famer

Great article on him:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/column...van&id=4619628
Old 01-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

If he is there at #10/#11, it'll be hard not to take him. He is a very good prospect.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
Nice. After having my heart broken by DJ's guesses all these years, the term "football smarts" gets me over excited.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
I think he is a can't miss three down LB who is asked to do everything in Alabama's scheme. He is more like 260 and flies sideline to sideline, is a great blitzer (when given the opportunity) and is terrific in coverage. Far superior instincts to D.J. I would compare him more to Patrick Willis - a tackling machine. He looked like a much better player than Spikes in the SEC Championship game. I think he is too good to pass up at #10 even though Davis is adequate at ILB. My next choice would be Brian Price of UCLA to play DE. A little shorter than ideal but an incredibly active play-making 300 lbs. His stock will soar in the post-season workouts and combine.
It's all a matter of opinion. I was off on the weight. Good call. I'll give him credit for his ability but i've watched Willis and i've seen some video and McClain and their style of play is different. I felt very certain Willis was going to be a stud. I'm not certain with McCLain yet.

My biggest fault with DJ is his lack of instincts. That's huge at the MLB position and where Willis truly sets himself apart.

I'm looking forward to tonight to watch him further. I'm expecting a huge game for him and that would do a lot to boost my confidence in him.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
I read that article and I watched the special on him which was on college gameday.

Needless to say, I didn't come away with the same opinion watching that special, reading that article that I did watching him on the field.

I feel there is something missing to his game.

We'll see tonight though. Film don't lie. I hope i'm wrong. I want more quality players to be there for us at 10 or 11.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

well I am interested to see what he can do against Texass tonite, this will be a good game
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #13
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

McClain has been dehydrated with the flu this week and did not really practice at all. I hope he can go and play at his best. I would not be surprised to see him miss time with cramps late in the game.

As for his film, I tend to agree with bpc on that. He is not as flashy as I had hoped. Willis just jumped out all over the place on tape, McClain was not as consistent.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
McClain has been dehydrated with the flu this week and did not really practice at all. I hope he can go and play at his best. I would not be surprised to see him miss time with cramps late in the game.

As for his film, I tend to agree with bpc on that. He is not as flashy as I had hoped. Willis just jumped out all over the place on tape, McClain was not as consistent.
Factor in that Willis had 140 tackles his final year at Ole Miss...

along with a club forearm. He's a tough SOB.

49ers LB Patrick Willis Pictures, Images and Photos
Old 01-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #15
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
It's all a matter of opinion. I was off on the weight. Good call. I'll give him credit for his ability but i've watched Willis and i've seen some video and McClain and their style of play is different. I felt very certain Willis was going to be a stud. I'm not certain with McCLain yet.

My biggest fault with DJ is his lack of instincts. That's huge at the MLB position and where Willis truly sets himself apart.

I'm looking forward to tonight to watch him further. I'm expecting a huge game for him and that would do a lot to boost my confidence in him.
I'm not sure you're going to see him at his best tonight since he has been down with the flu all week. Playing big at less than 100% would say a lot, though. I'm really looking forward to the game.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #16
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I think McClain's had a solid game thus far. He's blown up a couple of plays and has been in the heat of the action. It doesn't look like the flue has really slowed him down at all.

I wish Texas could have put forth better effort. They're lifeless right now and I can't think of a worse coach to break in a freshman QB against. Saban is going to be mercilous.

I've had a chance to watch while i'm cooking dinner but I have the game on DVR and i'll watch McClain, Kindle, the UT FS, Arenas and a few others more tonight.

I'll tell you what though, that #57 DL from Alabama has blown me away. That kid has stud written all over him. He's massive too. Talk about a perfect 3-4 defensive linemen. For a big guy, he has a great burst as well in the time that I saw him. That stiff arm on the INT flatbacked one of the Texas offensive linemen. His arms look like 30 inches.

I've never really cared for Mack Brown's setup. I respect him as a coach but his teams have always seemed soft. Even when they won the last national championship, it was more about Vince Young than physically destroying opponents.

Nick Saban doesn't mess around. He's a frickin machine as a coach, and the worst thing for the country is that he's recruiting all 5 star athletes and they're instantly adopting his MO. I haven't seen a team this physical in a long time.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I think McClain's had a solid game thus far. He's blown up a couple of plays and has been in the heat of the action. It doesn't look like the flue has really slowed him down at all.

I wish Texas could have put forth better effort. They're lifeless right now and I can't think of a worse coach to break in a freshman QB against. Saban is going to be mercilous.

I've had a chance to watch while i'm cooking dinner but I have the game on DVR and i'll watch McClain, Kindle, the UT FS, Arenas and a few others more tonight.

I'll tell you what though, that #57 DL from Alabama has blown me away. That kid has stud written all over him. He's massive too. Talk about a perfect 3-4 defensive linemen. For a big guy, he has a great burst as well in the time that I saw him. That stiff arm on the INT flatbacked one of the Texas offensive linemen. His arms look like 30 inches.

I've never really cared for Mack Brown's setup. I respect him as a coach but his teams have always seemed soft. Even when they won the last national championship, it was more about Vince Young than physically destroying opponents.

Nick Saban doesn't mess around. He's a frickin machine as a coach, and the worst thing for the country is that he's recruiting all 5 star athletes and they're instantly adopting his MO. I haven't seen a team this physical in a long time.
Which is the direction I hope the Broncos are headed.

The amazing thing about Darcell Mareous (#57) is that he's a sophomore.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #18
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I would love to get Dareus that guy is a beast DE and McClain played pretty damn good for having the flu all week
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #19
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I would love to get Dareus that guy is a beast DE and McClain played pretty damn good for having the flu all week
Yeah, I'm not sure McClain lasts until our pick. Dareus reminded me a lot of Brian Price last night. Price might be a good option for us. I expect him to move up the draft charts. I don't think he was being rated as highly as he should have been because he had announced preseason that he was coming back to UCLA and he was kind of overlooked.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #20
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure McClain lasts until our pick. Dareus reminded me a lot of Brian Price last night. Price might be a good option for us. I expect him to move up the draft charts. I don't think he was being rated as highly as he should have been because he had announced preseason that he was coming back to UCLA and he was kind of overlooked.
The question with Price is can he play DE for Denver or his UT in 4/3? I think he has the ability to play DE/DT like Field does but the combine is going to be important for him.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #21
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
The question with Price is can he play DE for Denver or his UT in 4/3? I think he has the ability to play DE/DT like Field does but the combine is going to be important for him.
Seems like most all of these 3-4 DE are projections since almost nobody really plays a 3-4 in college. But, I think he can make the transition since they played him all over the place at UCLA. Big dude!
Old 01-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #22
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Seems like most all of these 3-4 DE are projections since almost nobody really plays a 3-4 in college. But, I think he can make the transition since they played him all over the place at UCLA. Big dude!
I know I like him a lot. He carrying some "bad" weight (about 25 pounds), but that should be fixed when he gets some professional strength and conditioning and good nutritionist
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #23
27atwater
THANK U!

sphincter says "what"?

Must get McClain. Noone else @ that spot will have the same value to us. Haden and Dez Bryant would be my other 2 choices, but McClain is more important to us at this point.
27atwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #24
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

McClain is gonna be a stud!
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #25
snowtrx
Seasoned Veteran

McClain would also be good bait. Who knows at this point how the draft will turn out, but NE should love McClain also and they have 3 2nds. #22 + #42 are very close to #10 or #11 in value. Cody should be there at 22 and Spikes at 42 would be amazing. Maybe a bump up with a 4th would be necessary for Spikes. 42 + 4th = 35

McClain & 4th vs. Cody & Spikes. Who you got?

And my girlfriend wonders why I love the draft /FA so much.
snowtrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: