The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2010, 05:46 AM   #1
dragondawg
All Pro

Default Broncos’ Bailey eager for better years

By Brian Howell
© 2010 Longmont Times-Call

ENGLEWOOD — After six seasons in Denver, including five in which he was named to the Pro Bowl, cornerback Champ Bailey would love to return for a seventh year.

“Oh yeah,” he said.

Whether or not he does return, well, not even he knows.

“Nothing’s definite,” he said. “All I know is when it’s time for me to work, I go work and I work hard. I do whatever I can to improve myself every yea,r and that’s what I’m going to do this offseason, whether it’s here or not.”

Bailey is under contract for next season, but his $9.5 million price tag could be too steep. On Monday, head coach Josh McDaniels said he expects Bailey back.

“He’s been a Bronco for awhile, and I’d love to have him be a Bronco as long as I’m here,” McDaniels said. “He’s a key component to our defense. I think he will be going forward. We look forward to that.”

If Bailey does return, he hopes to see the Broncos go through some changes. He said he has thoughts on what needs to change to get the Broncos into the playoffs, but didn’t want to share those thoughts with the media.

He does plan to share his ideas with McDaniels, though.

“I would feel like it’s my duty to do that, and I know everybody in this locker room would feel the same way,” Bailey said. “It would do no justice for me to bite my tongue on anything I’ve got to say.”

Bailey did say he believes the Broncos have the potential to be a winning team, but added, “I don’t want this to be potentially a good thing three years from now. I want it to be a good thing next year.”

MOVING ON?: A hot topic all season among fans was the use — or rather, misuse — of running back Peyton Hillis.

After a good rookie season in 2008 under former coach Mike Shanahan, Hillis was hardly used by McDaniels. Hillis finished with 17 touches on offense, 81 fewer than last season.

McDaniels defended Hillis’ limited role by saying, “It’s hard to give everybody a bunch of carries in a game.”

He then added that he looks forward to having Hillis back next year, “and seeing how his role can maybe be different and more productive.”

Hillis is under contract through 2011, but knows nothing is guaranteed.

“I have no idea,” he said of where he’ll play in 2010. “I’m hoping to have a spot come up next year. If not, I’ll be OK, and it’s all in the Lord’s hands. I feel like I can fit in pretty much anywhere.”

NO INTEREST: McDaniels said he has no interest in watching the playoffs this month.

“Not when you’re not in them; it’s not very fun,” he said. “I’d rather do something else and get ready for next year.”

RECOVERY TIME: The Broncos have two offensive linemen facing long injury rehabs.

Right tackle Ryan Harris missed the majority of the final 10 games and was placed on injured reserve on Dec. 9 with a toe injury.

Russ Hochstein, who started four games at left guard, was placed on injured reserve on Dec. 28 with a left knee injury.

McDaniels said both will be out a while, but wouldn’t put a date on when either could return.

EXTRA POINTS: In starting 6-0, the Broncos gave up 23 points or less in all six games. In finishing 2-8, the Broncos gave up more than 23 points seven times. ... The Broncos have missed the playoffs four straight years. The last time that happened was when they failed to get into the playoffs during the franchise’s first 17 seasons (1960-76). ... After their four previous 6-0 starts, the Broncos went on to play in the Super Bowl (1977, 1986, 1997, 1998).

http://www.timescall.com/sports_story.asp?id=20117
dragondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Good for Bailey and the vets they should be able to give their input to the coach and hopefully the coach listens
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Hey Champ, lay off the burgers this year and show up to camp in shape old man.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

I love Bailey but I think it's time to convert to free safty. I can't stand his running sideways technique. I think he would be the NFL int leader if he made the move.
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
The munchies can be rough bro.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

"Eager for better years"

That's not a 'story'... It would be news if Champ was saying he was looking forward to more seasons just like these last two.

Of COURSE he's eager for better years! What moron wouldn't be?
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
The munchies can be rough bro.
It did appear that he was getting smoked more this year.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 'Dre View Post
"Eager for better years"

That's not a 'story'... It would be news if Champ was saying he was looking forward to more seasons just like these last two.

Of COURSE he's eager for better years! What moron wouldn't be?
Lol: "Broncos' Bailey Content with No Superbowls" That would be worthy of a story!
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
It did appear that he was getting smoked more this year.
I thought this was Bailey's best year since 2006. He shut down Reggie Wayne and DeSean Jackson. His effort in the Philly game was nothing short of inspiring. I stood up and cheered when he sold out to bat that pass out of the air in the 3rd or 4th quarter, I forget which. He played his ass off, and played very well.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
it did appear that he was getting smoked more this year.
rofl!
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Harris will be off the leg for awhile. Here's to him hitting that benchpress hardcore style. DO IT
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
I thought this was Bailey's best year since 2006. He shut down Reggie Wayne and DeSean Jackson. His effort in the Philly game was nothing short of inspiring. I stood up and cheered when he sold out to bat that pass out of the air in the 3rd or 4th quarter, I forget which. He played his ass off, and played very well.
Agreed, but "It did appear Bailey was having a good season." isn't a good pun.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #13
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

So this off season we will lose the wr with the 2nd most catches behind Welker over the last 3 season and Champ maybe the best player ever to play at his position in the last decade or maybe ever ? Nice...

So considering we was a tipped ball from 7-9 this year and from the looks of things beat some bad teams and teams that was not yet warmed up yet to get to 6-0. I'm guessing next year with everyone we are going to lose it will be the massive crap rebuild and we go 7-9 or worse...

Hell maybe by the time we have regained a collection talent with the skill sets to have a legit chance to win it all Josh will be old enough to actually be taken seriously and have grown up enough to do his job without coming off like a petulant teenager ...or be gone...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #14
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
So this off season we will lose the wr with the 2nd most catches behind Welker over the last 3 season and Champ maybe the best player ever to play at his position in the last decade or maybe ever ? Nice...

So considering we was a tipped ball from 7-9 this year and from the looks of things beat some bad teams and teams that was not yet warmed up yet to get to 6-0. I'm guessing next year with everyone we are going to lose it will be the massive crap rebuild and we go 7-9 or worse...

Hell maybe by the time we have regained a collection talent with the skill sets to have a legit chance to win it all Josh will be old enough to actually be taken seriously and have grown up enough to do his job without coming off like a petulant teenager ...or be gone...
I put the parts of your post that were not irrational speculation and overreaction in bold.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #15
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
He's healthier than your future cholesterall clogged ass will ever be.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #16
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Old 01-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #17
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondawg View Post

“He’s been a Bronco for awhile, and I’d love to have him be a Bronco as long as I’m here,” McDaniels said. “He’s a key component to our defense. I think he will be going forward. We look forward to that.”
Sounds like an extension is in the works. Great news.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #18
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Sounds like an extension is in the works. Great news.
I told you so.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote