The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Default Bowlen supportive of McDaniels; coach backs his QB (We're sticking with Orton)

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14119470

Pat Bowlen wasn't smiling Sunday evening. No reason for that after his Broncos just topped off a 6-0 start with a devastating 2-8 finish.

But Bowlen walked away from his 26th season as the Broncos' owner with his usual quiet dignity. Bowlen knew his young coach, Josh McDan- iels, made a difficult decision when he decided to bench two of his best offensive players, Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler, with the playoffs potentially at stake.

"Unfortunately, we lost this game, but I have no problems with the coach," Bowlen said as he left the home locker room at Invesco Field. "He's my coach."

McDaniels finished his first season as the Broncos' head coach with an 8-8 record. Kyle Orton finished his first season as the Broncos' quarterback with career highs of 3,802 yards passing and 21 touchdowns but also three interceptions in the final game.

As he walked to his car Sunday night, Bowlen stopped long enough to endorse McDaniels as his coach for the foreseeable future.

McDaniels said he can improve on his first-year work.

"I certainly can do a better job of what I do, and I'm not going to go into detail about this, that and the other," McDaniels said. "I'm looking forward to getting better in the offseason at what I do. And trying to improve our team in every way that I can."

One way, McDaniels said, is to help Orton become a better quarterback.

"This was his first season and he'll get better," McDaniels said. "Part of my job is to help him get better by coaching him up."

Although Orton's contract has now expired, expect the Broncos to sign him to a new deal within the next two months.

"I think something's going to be worked out," Orton said.

At the very least, Orton can be brought back on a one-year, $3.043 million contract as a restricted free agent. Most likely, though, the Broncos and Orton will try to reach accord on a multiyear contract that approaches the deals of other established QBs.

"I was proud to have the opportunity to coach him this year and look forward to moving forward with him," McDaniels said.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Of course we're sticking with Orton. We don't have any other options. Even if we end up in a position to take a guy McDaniels likes more we'll still keep Orton around for competition and backup. He's not going anywhere whether we get a new QB or not.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

What else did you expect him to say? Very predictable, vanilla remarks.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I'm disappointed we are sticking with Orton.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
We don't really have an option to do anything else. Besides, we need big help on the lines. If we ever fix those then we can do what the Vikings and Ravens did. Go out and find a QB, rookie or solid veteran, and plug them in and have success. Right now Orton is the best option.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Would it help to point out that things were said in the media immediately after the Broncos' season ended last year that ended up being the polar opposite of reality? (If the immediate postgame interviews had been what really happened, we'd still have Shanahan and Slowik).

Lately, what Bowlen says... is not necessarily what Bowlen (or his coaches/GM) does.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post

Very Shanahanesque. Reveal nothing.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
uplink
Ring of Famer

wonder if Orton can work on his mobility, anytime there is rush penetration he is toast. He lacks in this area compared to Brady/Cassel I think.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Just watched Part 1 of the presser and McDaniels said he doesn't want to make any "declarations" with Orton or anything, so I guess it's not guaranteed...?
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
wonder if Orton can work on his mobility, anytime there is rush penetration he is toast. He lacks in this area compared to Brady/Cassel I think.
I said that in another thread.

Most QBs are what they are, physically. But, I really think Orton is an example of a guy that could use an offseason regimen that enhances speed and agility.
He's a big guy, but he looks like he's carrying a little too much happy-weight, to me.

You're not going to great a scrambler out of him, but I do think you can improve agility and mobility by changing your body make-up a bit.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
Just watched Part 1 of the presser and McDaniels said he doesn't want to make any "declarations" with Orton or anything, so I guess it's not guaranteed...?
That's likely more contract-driven. I can't imagine any scenario where McDaniels doesn't at minimum want Kyle back to compete for a job.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #12
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

i liked his "improved" scrambling in the KC game. it looked like his ankle had healed a bit.

i would go to war with orton. at least i'd give him a couple of clips of M16 rounds.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Improved scrambling?

You had one too many beers.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Can't really be disappointed Orton will be back... we don't have anybody else at this point and it's unreliable to think that Brandstater can be anything more than a backup at this point.

We're in a great position. We can tender Orton and he's around at least a year. If we handle our business this offseason, we'll be drafting a QB early (1st-3rd round) and Orton will be around to mentor him. If we can stretch that RFA tag from 1 yr 3 million, to say 2 yr - 6 mill, or 3 yr - 9 million, I think that's a very solid amount for a guy who could be sitting the bench.

Draft a QB, tender Orton and try to bring in a guy like Campbell who is looking for a one or two year deal to resusitate his career.

Bam. QB position is on the fast track to getting better and it ensures that we don't have a offensive meltdown like we did this season.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #15
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Simple fact is you're not going to ditch a guy who's been in the offense for a year and has performed quite well, at times. The Kyle Orton's of the world aren't above a little competition, however...
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #16
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
...try to bring in a guy like Campbell who is looking for a one or two year deal to resusitate his career.
I'd be on board with looking into Campbell, but I think he's an RFA and Shanahan may keep him in D.C. for the same reason McD will keep Orton in Denver.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #17
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Well MCDs rookie season is behind him there is no place to go but up from here out.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #18
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
I don't think it's guaranteed either. It's day 1 of the offseason. He probably hasn't even watched the tape of the last game yet. What's he supposed to say, No, Orton isn't going to be here. He clearly said he isn't going to make any knee jerk reactions right now. He's going to have some time away, do more evaluations and then go from there. Don't think for one second if McD could find somebody better he won't go with him. If that's a high draft pick or a FA, those things aren't even yet determined so who knows.

NOBODY KNOWS for sure if Orton is going to be here if McD himself doesn't truly know yet. Good gawd, people think they know what McD wants before he himself knows. Too funny.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #19
orange 4 life
Old School Orange

Home team qb homer

"we're sticking with Orton."

Thank God.
orange 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #20
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Well, his spiffy home record took a bit of a beating his 1st year in Denver, no? And wasn't he 21-12 or something in Chicago? Hopefully, his 2nd year in the offense we are more productive on the SCOREBOARD....somewhere around 24-25 /game would be nice. Gaffney should be our #2 WR---Royal--he needs to be sent packing for at least a #2--he is completely incompatible with this offense--we had a whole season to watch--and he wasn't even the 4th best reciever on our team........trading Marshall will create a GAPING hole @ our #1WR spot though...and if teams focus on Gaffney--he won't be nearly as effective as he was against a KC team that wasn't sure what to expect out of our passing game minus Brandon........will be an interesting off-season--but I agree--Orton seems to be our best option--unless Tom B is ready to step up.......the trading of our #14 pcik for Fonzie REALLY chaps my A$$ though......or this draft could be REALLY fun
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #21
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I'd be on board with looking into Campbell, but I think he's an RFA and Shanahan may keep him in D.C. for the same reason McD will keep Orton in Denver.
Doesn't really matter 'who' to me. I just want to see us take a younger vet, who's had some starting experience and is looking to prove himself.

Campbell, Kellen Clemons, Tavaris Jackson, etc, etc, etc.

Just get me a guy who's hungry, who is coachable, and who will be relatively cheap but has some upside. That would satisfy me.

Oh yeah, and we need to make sure we draft somebody. I've said this many times, I'm okay with McD carrying four QB's on the active roster. Orton, Cambell (young vet), high draft pick, and Brandstater.

We need to be collecting QB's like Jon Gruden. The worst thing we can do is give ourselves few options moving forward.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #22
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Can't really be disappointed Orton will be back... we don't have anybody else at this point and it's unreliable to think that Brandstater can be anything more than a backup at this point.

We're in a great position. We can tender Orton and he's around at least a year. If we handle our business this offseason, we'll be drafting a QB early (1st-3rd round) and Orton will be around to mentor him. If we can stretch that RFA tag from 1 yr 3 million, to say 2 yr - 6 mill, or 3 yr - 9 million, I think that's a very solid amount for a guy who could be sitting the bench.

Draft a QB, tender Orton and try to bring in a guy like Campbell who is looking for a one or two year deal to resusitate his career.

Bam. QB position is on the fast track to getting better and it ensures that we don't have a offensive meltdown like we did this season.
I gurantee you we don't draft a QB in the top 5 rounds!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #23
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I think that is a pathetic idea which has fail written all over it.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #24
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #25
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
You and McD have something in common.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote