The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Default Post: Broncos vets requested accountability...

Brandon Marshall apparently picked the wrong time to be late.
According to three team sources, here's the backdrop to Broncos coach Josh McDaniels deciding to bench Marshall for the team's regular-season finale Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs:
After the Broncos' 30-27 loss at Philadelphia, Brian Dawkins, D.J. Williams, Daniel Graham, Champ Bailey and Kyle Orton met with McDaniels on Monday. Those players communicated the message this was a Denver team loaded with veterans who felt a sense of urgency regarding their chance to make the playoffs.
The veterans urged McDaniels to stress accountability to the team.
The veterans did not single out any player during their group meeting. But Friday, Marshall
showed up late for treatment on a sore hamstring. Given the veterans' message, McDaniels didn't hesitate in deactivating Marshall. McDaniels also benched tight end Tony Scheffler for attitude issues.
As it turned out, Marshall's production was replaced by Jabar Gaffney, who had 14 catches for 213 yards against the Chiefs; by Brandon Lloyd, who had four catches for 95 yards; and by Brandon Stokley, who five catches for 43 yards and a touchdown.
"Those were not the hard decisions," McDaniels said of the benchings. "If it would have been hard, then it would not have been true to what my philosophy has been all along and what I've been saying about building a team and being accountable."

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/br...#ixzz0bdJsbhR1
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 01:16 AM   #2
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

It's funny, because now you look at this and say... here's a guy (Marshall) that basically was done playing and said so, after getting the Pro Bowl nod. So, McDaniels made a statement, apparently to appeal to his team leaders.

Making the best of a bad situation?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:51 AM   #3
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
It's funny, because now you look at this and say... here's a guy (Marshall) that basically was done playing and said so, after getting the Pro Bowl nod. So, McDaniels made a statement, apparently to appeal to his team leaders.

Making the best of a bad situation?
Yeah! Totally, Popps.

Only to turn around and get into the biggest train wreck of their lives. We got our asses handed to us, could Marshall had made a difference? We'll never know, but we know one thing. Jamaal Charles smacked us in the face with his ****.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:06 AM   #4
Endy
Go Donks

Thanks McDaniels for my season tix

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Nacho

Marshall's a very good player, but throwing the ball was not the Broncos problem yesterday.
Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:24 AM   #5
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTribbey View Post
Yeah! Totally, Popps.

Only to turn around and get into the biggest train wreck of their lives. We got our asses handed to us, could Marshall had made a difference? We'll never know, but we know one thing. Jamaal Charles smacked us in the face with his ****.
True enough and last I saw Marshall stopped playing Safety as a Sophomore or Junior in College.

Yes, Orton's two pick 6s were a dagger in the heart but the victim was already on life support by then and Kyle, Gaffney, Stokely and Moreno (when he got a chance) were the only ones who drove this team, and kept us in the game for 3 quarters as well while our valiant defense laid a real dinosaur egg for four quarters.

Orton had some beautiful passes last night as well. No doubt it could have helped if Marshall had been there and ready to play. Shame on Marshall for playing the 'me-first' game again.

No doubt he could have eliminate some of those timing drops with players that don't get a lot of balls and would have had a lot better chance on that last hail mary to the endzone that got picked when Flowers had position on the smaller Gaffney.

But over all Gaffney did a decent job of filling in for Marshall's production and his absence did not cost us this game. And neither did Orton.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:25 AM   #6
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Marshall wouldn't have stopped Charles from running through huge holes all game long. It's like the Broncos didn't even have a DL out there.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #7
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!

BA-ZING!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson

I wonder if Graham's enough of a "leader" to call himself out after his pathetic performance yesterday.
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:57 AM   #8
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Brandon Marshall apparently picked the wrong time to be late.
According to three team sources, here's the backdrop to Broncos coach Josh McDaniels deciding to bench Marshall for the team's regular-season finale Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs:
After the Broncos' 30-27 loss at Philadelphia, Brian Dawkins, D.J. Williams, Daniel Graham, Champ Bailey and Kyle Orton met with McDaniels on Monday. Those players communicated the message this was a Denver team loaded with veterans who felt a sense of urgency regarding their chance to make the playoffs.
The veterans urged McDaniels to stress accountability to the team.
The veterans did not single out any player during their group meeting. But Friday, Marshall
showed up late for treatment on a sore hamstring. Given the veterans' message, McDaniels didn't hesitate in deactivating Marshall. McDaniels also benched tight end Tony Scheffler for attitude issues.
As it turned out, Marshall's production was replaced by Jabar Gaffney, who had 14 catches for 213 yards against the Chiefs; by Brandon Lloyd, who had four catches for 95 yards; and by Brandon Stokley, who five catches for 43 yards and a touchdown.
"Those were not the hard decisions," McDaniels said of the benchings. "If it would have been hard, then it would not have been true to what my philosophy has been all along and what I've been saying about building a team and being accountable."

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/br...#ixzz0bdJsbhR1
This came out after Denver realized the negative publicity they were going to receive---nothing more than SPIN. why was this not released immediately? This would have painted the Broncos in a more positive light--but instead they have to lick their finger and hold it up to the winds and they realized in wasn't in their favor--so they came up with this. You believe that McD led our team to much improvement over the course of this season, so I have no doubt that you believe in this too.........
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:00 AM   #9
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Dawkins reportedly wants to come back and play and "having fun" according to the analysts, so interesting a veteran player who made the Pro Bowl(whose former team made the playoffs) wants to come back and play with such a supposed idiot for a coach. If the players didn't ask for accoutability, it shouldn't be hard to find out if that really happened or not.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:03 AM   #10
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
This came out after Denver realized the negative publicity they were going to receive---nothing more than SPIN. why was this not released immediately? This would have painted the Broncos in a more positive light--but instead they have to lick their finger and hold it up to the winds and they realized in wasn't in their favor--so they came up with this. You believe that McD led our team to much improvement over the course of this season, so I have no doubt that you believe in this too.........
+1

This wreaks of a setup job so that McKid can dump another Pro Bowl skill player in the offseason.

The only thing McKid improved on was our traditional late season collapse, moving the starting date up to October instead of the usual December. 2-8 since the bye. 2 and 8.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:05 AM   #11
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Dawkins reportedly wants to come back and play and "having fun" according to the analysts, so interesting a veteran player who made the Pro Bowl(whose former team made the playoffs) wants to come back and play with such a supposed idiot for a coach. If the players didn't ask for accoutability, it shouldn't be hard to find out if that really happened or not.
I'm glad he's been having fun getting his ass handed to him by the likes of the Raiders, Chiefs and Redskins down the stretch. That makes me warm and fuzzy inside. Anybody else in that locker room having fun getting thumped on in an epic collapse of a season?
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:05 AM   #12
DrFate
Lord of Order

Has any 'veteran player' actually been quoted saying he went to McDaniels and 'requested accountability'? Or just 'unnamed sources' at work again?
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:23 AM   #13
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

It was all the team captains.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:32 AM   #14
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Always a problem with players. Always an excuse. Same old McDaniels. Of course, it is everyone else according to popps and the "McDaniels is above the Broncos" crowd.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:35 AM   #15
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

All I know is the Broncos are "accountable"

And out of the playoffs...again
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:48 AM   #16
Steve Prefontaine
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Endy View Post
Marshall's a very good player, but throwing the ball was not the Broncos problem yesterday.
2 KC defensive touchdowns off interceptions say you are wrong.
Steve Prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:49 AM   #17
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It was all the team captains.
Again - was anyone quoted, on the record, with this 'request'?

Or is it just chatter?
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:58 AM   #18
jhat01
Ring of Famer

Knuckle Dragging Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
Again - was anyone quoted, on the record, with this 'request'?

Or is it just chatter?
Orton eluded to it in his post game I think. I'll have to go back and look.
jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #19
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBronco View Post
That's a tackling problem, not necessarily a throwing problem.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #20
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Interceptions aren't a throwing problem now? What exactly was wrong with Cutler when he was here then? People couldn't tackle? I guess I don't get what you guys have argued all season about Cutler with your statement here.

It is pretty funny how much you defend complete garbage.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:08 AM   #21
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Brian Dawkins, D.J. Williams, Daniel Graham, Champ Bailey and Kyle Orton met with McDaniels
It is funny because that is in fact a list of people who played like **** against the Chiefs, so I guess the accountability they want will extend to themselves. Graham and Bailey could both start by showing their dedication to accountability by accepting greately reduced contracts, Orton has the opportunity to sign a small tender and either stay here or ensure he can be traded for a decent draft pick to another team.

Dawkins and DJ Williams can't do much contract wise, but they can at least own up publicly and show some accountability that way.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #22
Endy
Go Donks

Thanks McDaniels for my season tix

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBronco View Post
Okay. Catching the football was not the wide receivers' problem yesterday.

Point is that Orton threw for 430 yards and Marshall's replacement had over 200 yards himself.

Marshall would not have prevented those pick 6's and I doubt he would have played better than Gaffney did.

Not saying that having him on the field wouldn't help, but a even a team full of Brandon Marshall's with Peyton Hillis playing QB still would have lost by 20.
Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #23
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Hey guys..... even if we won 49-0 we are at the same point, NO playoffs. Both the Ravens and Jets won yesterday. No single player orcoach cost us a thing yesterday but and embarassing loss to the chiefs.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #24
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
No, they were both throwing problems, Orton threw the ball right to a guy who has 4 interceptions in nearly 5 full seasons.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #25
Buck Melanoma
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Lil Hoodie forgot one lesson that he should have learned in NE - don't throw your players under the bus publicly.

Maybe Marshall did need to be disciplined - I don't know. One thing is certain - Mickey D should have handled much of what he has said behind closed doors, not at the microphone.

Punk is as punk does.
Buck Melanoma is offline   Reply With Quote