The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Moreno not a huge threat

I think it was painfully aware today that using the #12 pick on Moreno was probably not the most brilliant of choices. I understand he's a rookie and he's done a decent job with the average at best run blocking in front of him but I think Charles showed us today that an explosive and fast back only needs that one seem in order to get huge yards. That puts so much pressure on a defense it's unreal. I really like Moreno's toughness but he just doesn't have the kind of top talent speed at RB to really cause big concerns for a defense. We absolutely could have got the same kind of performance from a 5th round pick as we got from Moreno. Not trying to bang on him, the dude is trying his best, but he just doesn't have the raw talent at this level to be special.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Have to agree... I hated the pick then, and still hate it (not Moreno, but, the choice to draft him with out first pick)
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

He reminds me of Mike Bell.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Man, he's a rookie! People were saying the same things about DeAngelo Williams after his rookie year.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybroncosnut View Post
Have to agree... I hated the pick then, and still hate it (not Moreno, but, the choice to draft him with out first pick)
My sentiments exactly...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
TheDave
Sauced...

I still have high hopes for the kid. Improve the blocking and use him more in the passing game.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Lets bolster interior line and judge him then
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #8
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I think it was painfully aware today that using the #12 pick on Moreno was probably not the most brilliant of choices. I understand he's a rookie and he's done a decent job with the average at best run blocking in front of him but I think Charles showed us today that an explosive and fast back only needs that one seem in order to get huge yards. That puts so much pressure on a defense it's unreal. I really like Moreno's toughness but he just doesn't have the kind of top talent speed at RB to really cause big concerns for a defense. We absolutely could have got the same kind of performance from a 5th round pick as we got from Moreno. Not trying to bang on him, the dude is trying his best, but he just doesn't have the raw talent at this level to be special.
Charles is in year two... he showed glimpses (just as Moreno has) last year before exploding onto the scene this year. I'll eat my words next year if Moreno doesn't show up at about 225 and just a beast. This kid has a lot of promise. A new QB threat and a change at LG will do him wonders. He is a player and not even close to one of our major concerns.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Man, he's a rookie! People were saying the same things about DeAngelo Williams after his rookie year.
I'm not saying he can't or wont be a player, I just thought the #12 pick could have been used to filling more important holes on the Broncos. I didnt think RB was the best choice when we had a stable of RB's we already signed. We could have either traded down, or taken a better fit for our team at 12
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

I thought he was one of the only bright spots once again today.

apparently I am blind but I don't see this bust everyone talks about I see a kid with a bright future who ones very hard and rarely do I see the kid stop turning his legs until he is completely down thats a sign of a good RB.

one thing people need to understand Moreno is not going to be a speedster thats not his game hes not all that fast hes quick but hes doesn't have blazing speed thats not why we drafted him and down the line were going to need one of those lightning change ups.
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Moreno needs to learn how to hit the hole and go. He runs latterally too often and isn't fast enough to play those games.

He would be a nice compliment to a guy like Charles. He's not a bust, he'll be a player for us. But taking him with the #12 pick was not wise. Orakapo or Cushing would have been nice.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

He has all the tangibles. But his field vision seems very poor. He takes too long to make a decision behind the line. I think Bobby Turner can coach him up, but I was very disappointed with how much we put on a kid that wasn't performing when there were other options we could have used.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Damn that rookie leading the league in rookie rushing. Damn him to hell! It's his 1st year! He should have been all pro by his 2nd game, just like all the other top running backs in the league!
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #14
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Yeah but Williams ran a 4.44, Moreno ran a 4.59

Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-03-2010 at 10:33 PM..
Boltjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #15
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Denver needs a speed back to spell Buck and Moreno
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #16
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybroncosnut View Post
I'm not saying he can't or wont be a player, I just thought the #12 pick could have been used to filling more important holes on the Broncos. I didnt think RB was the best choice when we had a stable of RB's we already signed. We could have either traded down, or taken a better fit for our team at 12
This I will agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
Yeah but Williams ran a 4.44, Moreno ran a 4.59
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #17
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
Lets bolster interior line and judge him then
This. We need hogs for this system. Good hogs, not Hochstein.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #18
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

When is the last time we couldn't field a thousand yard starter?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #19
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
When is the last time we couldn't field a thousand yard starter?
Is the correct answer, last year?
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #20
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

I thought you guys drafted Moreno because you were afraid the Chargers were going to take him.

Anyway, it's way too early to pass judgment on the kid. It's just his rookie year!
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #21
yerner
Ring of Famer

I still like him when he gets more reps. I thought Ray Rice was a bust last year with alot of the same issues. Ray is faster though.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #22
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

So, wait...Bob was right?
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #23
Popps
It's so easy

I have no idea until we can get a line that can open up holes. At times, he's looked great. Other times, he's fighting 3 guys in the backfield to get to the LOS. (Many times today.)

He's no Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson. But, I still think we can get great value out of him for where we took him. He's capable of being a workhorse back. We saw it earlier this year when we WERE blocking well.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #24
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I guess the word "bust" is all in how you apply it. Moreno is in no way a bust the same way Jarvis Moss was a bust. But to take a RB with the #12 overall pick and him not get even one 100 yard game and not reach 1000 yards could be considered a bust in terms of where he was drafted. I think he could be one of those Kevin Faulk types who are very steady and play hard for several years. But I just don't see a truly special back in the making here. People are always saying he's shown flashes but I'm not sure I really saw many of those flashes. When there were wide open lanes, which were not often, he really didn't showcase anything amazing, he basically got what the defense gave him. Maybe a handful of times he made a great spin move or great cutback or something but it certainly wasn't often enough to say that he showed flashes. I had much higher hopes for him because the clips I saw of him at Georgia, he looked like he had a much better burst. We knew he wasn't a fast guy but I haven't even really seen good burst from him this year at all. Now, he has shown that he's one tough MF, he can take a hit and keep on ticking, I really do like that. And I think he will be a good player for us long term but I just can't see this guy being a big time threat. Sure there haven been other runners in this league that were not fast that had great careers but most of those guys were excellent at breaking tackles and using their blockers and just sniffing out the best possible lane, however small it may have been.

I'm not sure anybody here is saying he's a bad player, I think most of just agree he's the kind of player you probably could have easily found in a round 2 or 3, definitely not the #12 overall.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #25
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I have no idea until we can get a line that can open up holes. At times, he's looked great. Other times, he's fighting 3 guys in the backfield to get to the LOS. (Many times today.)

He's no Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson. But, I still think we can get great value out of him for where we took him. He's capable of being a workhorse back. We saw it earlier this year when we WERE blocking well.
At this point we are not getting value for where we took him. 12 is pretty damn high for a RB.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote