The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default My Take(Supporters, take refuge here!)

Josh McDaniels is a young head coach. He's shown some flashes of brilliance, and he's shown some flashes of sheer arrogance and stupidity. This season had highs(Only beating the Pats in the playoffs compared to how I felt when we beat the Pats this year...I was right along with Josh) and the obvious lows. We went 8-8 in our head coach's first season at the helm. New systems were being installed on both sides of the ball.

While I don't feel particularly like blaming McDaniels for how this season finished(if you can call it that), all I can say is that him getting fired would be maybe the worst thing to happen to this team. We need continuity. When Josh took over, we all expected big things. I just don't understand the people who were expecting big things this year. I started to HOPE after our amazing start, but you could see that Josh and Nolan were using gameplanning to an extreme. As the season went on, and McDaniels ran out of tricks and as teams figured us out, we got worse.

Today was embarrassing as hell. I want to forget about it, but I'm hopeful for the future. I support McDaniels, Nolan and Xanders. In their first season with this team, they've shown signs that they can get the job done. Is McDaniels a little Napoleon? Is he Mangini mark 2? I don't know, but neither does anyone else. It's too soon to pass judgment on him, in my opinion. He was bound to make mistakes. Cutler was...A mistake(though now that you've seen how things panned out, was it that bad?). Alphonso Smith was a mistake. Handling Brandon Marshall the way he did was a mistake.

I can't feel bad about Cutler anymore. He was a joke in Chicago. I can't feel bad about the Marshall thing, because Marshall is an immature brat, and I want him gone. I can't feel TOO bad about Alphonso Smith because it's not like cornerbacks have very much early success.

This team's future is bright, if you ask me. Moreno will be better. Our defence will be better. Having Orton at the helm for our early success shows that we can win games without someone big back there. McDaniels took his licks. If you guys think he's sitting at home like "Why didn't we win? I did everything right?!?" I think you're crazy. This **** will make him better.

I'm NOT pleased about how this season ended, but I'm happy with my team. New coach? 8-8? Any day.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Your expectations are very low..we won 2 out of 10..
We lost to OAK and KC at home.
I don't see any improvement in 2010.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
Your expectations are very low..we won 2 out of 10..
We lost to OAK and KC at home.
I don't see any improvement in 2010.
We won 2 of 10? Odd, because I have it written down here that we won 6 of 6.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

This is no where near as bad as that first round exit from the Playoffs back when Jacksonville rolled us........I'll put that as the lining in the bottom of the barrell....but this definitely will have it's due place in the depths of steaming hot shlt for seasons to come.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Why do people think we'll suck next year? Any success we've had this year wasn't leftovers from the Shanahan era. It was great defence and solid offence. Why can't we build on that?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Why do people think we'll suck next year? Any success we've had this year wasn't leftovers from the Shanahan era. It was great defence and solid offence. Why can't we build on that?
Are you talking about the games that we played before bye week.
After bye week, we didn't play horrible and lost to OAK and KC.
In addition to that, Mcd's play calling sucks.

There is nothing to build..
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
Are you talking about the games that we played before bye week.
After bye week, we didn't play horrible and lost to OAK and KC.
In addition to that, Mcd's play calling sucks.

There is nothing to build..
Did the season only start AFTER the bye week? I understand the frustration, and respect the opinion of wanting McDaniels gone, but at least give him credit for where/when he did succeed. We won 5 of those 6 games due, in part, to his play calling(And one due to blind luck).

McDaniel's playcalling sucks? Man, where were you in 2007?

If we had beaten KC and Oakland at home, and lost against, say, the Cowboys and the Bengals, would you be calling for his head right now?

Last edited by Killericon; 01-03-2010 at 10:38 PM..
Old 01-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
Popps
It's so easy

It's one season.

It's a start that was probably too good.

A start that was definitely too bad.

But, you can't make definitive judgments on a coach based on one season unless it's a raging success or complete disaster. This was a little of both.

Personally, I think we're building an actual structure, here... but we need a lot more talent.

I'm ecstatic about this off-season. 9-7 would have made this all go down easier, but for those who tell me that a "a loss is a loss".... then 8-8 is still a .500 season, and that's not bad for a first year coach who had to face the challenges ours did.

I get why people don't like him. He's GOING to do it his way. I'm fine with that. Our last coach was the same way. Every bit as confident and ripped apart the prior team to build his own.

I remain optimistic, despite the obvious needs we have.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #9
OCBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

It is what it is. One negative play (the Stokely miracle), and we're looking at a 7-9 season.

On the other hand, we lost two games in the last month by a combined four points.

Those are the breaks. (And speaking of breaks, if Orton doesn't hurt his ankle at the end of the half against Washington, we probably win that one, too.)

Anyway, I'm not too broken up about it. Next season, they'll have another year to install the offense. They'll probably tweak the personnel quite a bit. I like what Vonnie Holliday said: "This is still an immature team." They need to learn how to win, and hopefully they will take another step in that direction next year.
OCBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:02 AM   #10
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

While i'm all for giving McD three years, if we decided to make a change, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Our offense is aimless at this point anyways, and most of the players are miscast, or at least, that's what McD's excuse is. We don't have a QB right now so it's not like we're interupting some important phase of Orton's progression.

Bowlen could choose to keep Nolan and his assistants on and just scrap the offensive side of the ball. Progression would still be in tact.

The reason McD is expendable is because we are in the same position we were last offseason... without a QB. We could bring in another coach who could choose to take a guy like Bradford in April and we're back at square 1.

I don't think we should fire a HC in his 1st year but if McD wants to move more pieces like Clady, Harris or Doom, Bowlen would be wise to put his foot down.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #11
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBronco View Post
It is what it is. One negative play (the Stokely miracle), and we're looking at a 7-9 season.

On the other hand, we lost two games in the last month by a combined four points.

Those are the breaks. (And speaking of breaks, if Orton doesn't hurt his ankle at the end of the half against Washington, we probably win that one, too.)

Anyway, I'm not too broken up about it. Next season, they'll have another year to install the offense. They'll probably tweak the personnel quite a bit. I like what Vonnie Holliday said: "This is still an immature team." They need to learn how to win, and hopefully they will take another step in that direction next year.

Someone else pointed out that the system we're installing was largely responsible for Gaffney being able to come right in and replace Marshall today without any drop-off. (Too bad other guys couldn't hold onto the ball.)

Like Shanahan's system when he first arrived... I definitely believe in this scheme. We just need to continue to improve the talent and find guys that fit.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:21 AM   #12
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Someone else pointed out that the system we're installing was largely responsible for Gaffney being able to come right in and replace Marshall today without any drop-off. (Too bad other guys couldn't hold onto the ball.)

Like Shanahan's system when he first arrived... I definitely believe in this scheme. We just need to continue to improve the talent and find guys that fit.
Another part of this scheme is a POWER running game, not a ZBS. We are stuck with a ZBS line, and no power, thus our running game is hurting. We need to move in some interior line and I think this offense is ALOT more effective.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:47 AM   #13
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

McDaniels knows his X's and O's and he learned from one of the best. I want to see him adapt though and be more flexible in both his play calling and his personnel strategy. **** the New England Way.
Bronco LB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:54 AM   #14
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB52 View Post
McDaniels knows his X's and O's and he learned from one of the best. I want to see him adapt though and be more flexible in both his play calling and his personnel strategy. **** the New England Way.
This is EXACTLY the way I see it too.

New England like other good teams are flexible in what they do. Defensively they switch from 4-3 to 3-4 based on the front 7 they have any given year.

They expanded the passing game to more shotgun and spread looks when they got Moss/Welker.

This is the way McDaniels has got to go. The running game suffered because McDaniels was too stubborn and stuck with a power blocking scheme that really only had two/three good games. The rest were a joke and unless he's flexible enough to best use the talent we do have in the running game in the ZBS then we'll continue to struggle.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #15
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The whoa is me crowd just wants something to b**** about. Am I happy? No, pretty pissed off. Looked like the Chiefs had more to play for than the Broncos did. I thought we got rid of that tendency when Shanahan left, but looks like we still have crap to get rid of from the roster.

Oh, and loved how Hamilton hasn't been playing, but plays today and what a shock, commits penalties. Please Shanahan take this bonehead for your team.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #16
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

I think the most alarming thing about this whole situation is that guys like Marshall and Scheffler didn't buy into the system....I don't think I've ever heard of a guy being benched for saying "I can't wait for this season to end." That is absolutely pathetic from a team standpoint....it might not be true, but if it is, it says a lot about the character of some of these guys and the divide in the locker room

listen, I loved Scheffler, Marshall, Hillis, etc...but if they aren't going to buy in, or if the coach doesnt see a spot for them on the team, they need to go. There were about 7 guys that showed up to play yesterday, while the rest simply were going through the motions and waiting to get home. The way Hillis was returning kicks yesterday was pathetic, but then again I don't know why he is back there to begin with and not in there for short yardage at times.

Basically, when we were 6-0 the team reflected the attitude of this board...everyone was starting to buy in and there was a positivity around the new situation. However, when things went south the players and fans were like rats on a sinking ship who couldnt wait to get off and bite somebody in the ass as they left. It will be hard to see a guy like Marshall light it up on another team, but I'm sure that's how San Fran felt when he left and led the Eagles to a Super Bowl....then promptly became and assclown again.

We need to start getting younger versions of Dawkins, Bailey and Gaffney in here. By that, I don't mean that they are neccessarily the most hyped names out there, but you know what you will get from them each week. I think younger guys like Doom, Goodman and Moreno are a good start, but we need a full roster of them. I'm sick and tired of seeing them NOT show up on Sundays no matter who is coaching.

The 60/40 split in the locker room seems very real and if we can get that number down to 80/20 or 90/10 the team won't quit like this when it needs to come up big. Like I said, its a real shame, but that means getting rid of guys like Hillis and Marshall. Even though it might not be their fault, there just isnt room for distractions on a team that is marginally talented.

At least the fist pumping on giving up 15 yard plays on defense is over....thats a start right. (RIP Nate Webster)
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote