The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default The Charlie Weis for OC thread.

This should be discussed, and I firmly believe the Broncos make a run at Weiss to be the Offensive Coordinator or Assistant Head Coach of the offense. McDaniels loves the guy. I don't need to rattle off this guys credentials, he installed the current Broncos offense for the Patriots and won 3 SB's with them.

It would be a great hire, since I think McDaniels could use someone like Weiss who can help coach and be another set of eyes to bring in players that fit our scheme.

I am not saying McCoy should get canned, more like given another position on the offense. Just that Weiss would be an upgrade.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I don't think McDaniels is going to hire anybody who would steal any of his lime light. I could be wrong. Maybe I'm being unfair. But I don't think the guy wants to be over shadowed by anyone.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I'd rather have Mike Leach. Weis doesn't change anything. It's the same offense. Leach's passing game is alot simpler, more successful, easier to teach and easier to execute.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Hands off. We're doubling up on morbidly obese coaches from the Belichick tree this offseason. Weis and Crennel will be Chiefs. The deal is done.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I'd rather have Mike Leach. Weis doesn't change anything. It's the same offense. Leach's passing game is alot simpler, more successful, easier to teach and easier to execute.
On the college level.

I'm not saying the transition couldn't be made. But Weis has proven success at the NFL level.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
I second that.
Bronco LB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

My opinion of Weis

Old 01-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Plus Mike Leach would've "Handled" BMarsh's hammy in closet...err house.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
The deal is done.
Bob isn't that what you said when you were claiming 14 different times that you were going to get laid that one night and then you came back in a few hours with blue balls?

Just sayin.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
Hands off. We're doubling up on morbidly obese coaches from the Belichick tree this offseason. Weis and Crennel will be Chiefs. The deal is done.
Nice, we can count on that not happening.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

I don't want another bellicheck assistants..
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Bob isn't that what you said when you were claiming 14 different times that you were going to get laid that one night and then you came back in a few hours with blue balls?
I'm pretty sure you're wrong on this one bro, BOB HAS NO BALLS
Old 01-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #13
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
I'd rather have Mike Leach.
Not sure if your joking or serious....but what experience does Leach have in the Erdhart-Perkins system?
Old 01-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #14
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I don't think McDaniels is going to hire anybody who would steal any of his lime light. I could be wrong. Maybe I'm being unfair. But I don't think the guy wants to be over shadowed by anyone.
That would be a shame if that's how McDaniels feels.

However, when Weis got canned...McDaniels spoke very highly of Weiss. I could be wrong, but I recall that McDaniels dodged a question (wouldn't confirm nor deny) of whether he had called Weiss after he was canned by ND. That was odd.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #15
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Not sure if your joking or serious....but what experience does Leach have in the Erdhart-Perkins system?
That's the point, 24. He runs a BETTER passing game. I'd rather run his passing game, instead. It is easier to learn, easier to teach and more difficult to defend. If McD wants his own run game with maulers and stuff and his playaction stuff, that's fine. But if we're going to have a successful dropback passing game, without as much talent (i.e. minus Marshall, Scheff etc), then Leach is absolutely the one to consult on that. Whether that means he's the OC or the staff simply goes to consult with him for a week in the offseason, either way is fine. I've studied the Mumme/Leach/Franklin offense for a few years now in terms of clinic lectures and cut-ups and playbooks and stuff. He has a nice passing game that is built upon simple yet versatile concepts and produces every year. He also has very efficient practices that emphasize endless repetitions. I mentioned this before yesterday about the way he does things in practice that are advanced. There is alot that this staff can learn from him to spruce up our offense.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #16
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
That's the point, 24. He runs a BETTER passing game. I'd rather run his passing game, instead. It is easier to learn, easier to teach and more difficult to defend. If McD wants his own run game with maulers and stuff and his playaction stuff, that's fine. But if we're going to have a successful dropback passing game, without as much talent (i.e. minus Marshall, Scheff etc), then Leach is absolutely the one to consult on that. Whether that means he's the OC or the staff simply goes to consult with him for a week in the offseason, either way is fine. I've studied the Mumme/Leach/Franklin offense for a few years now in terms of clinic lectures and cut-ups and playbooks and stuff. He has a nice passing game that is built upon simple yet versatile concepts and produces every year. He also has very efficient practices that emphasize endless repetitions. I mentioned this before yesterday about the way he does things in practice that are advanced. There is alot that this staff can learn from him to spruce up our offense.
It has to be easier the way they plugged kids in at TT. It seemed like they ran 5 or 6 plays.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #17
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #18
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
He's a modern day Coryell. For all the complaints about the dink and dunking with McDaniels, Leach loves to stretch the field and he forces the defense to account for all sectors of the gridiron. As simple as Leach's offense is, it's very confusing for a defense to defend.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #19
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
I think Weis is better suited to coach in the NFL. I don't care what people think about Callahan but I think he is a good NFL OC that tried to put a complicated NFL system in college football kind of like Weis was doing at ND. I couldn't see them getting enough time with players to get the system to ever work out. In the NFL you get to work with players that are in pro systems for longer then three to four years. I think Weis would help on the little details to improve the team kind of like what Callahan is helping with the Jets. In two seasons as the Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line, BC has taken the Jets from 19th in rushing, to 9th then to 1st. I think we could get that kind of boost with Wies.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #20
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

I think Weis would want to run an offence if he were to take an OC position in the NFL. STAY THE COURSE.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #21
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
It has to be easier the way they plugged kids in at TT. It seemed like they ran 5 or 6 plays.
They run a small number of base pass plays, but make it multiple with "tags" for most of the plays. To the opponent, it looks like 50 different things, when in reality, it is 17 different things with tags. They also rep the hell out of what they run. The drills they use ensure they can get EVERYONE a bunch of reps in just a short period of time.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #22
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

The only way I see Leach settling for anything less then a HC job somewhere is if he gets a chance to stick it to TT for a few years.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #23
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
I'm pretty sure you're wrong on this one bro, BOB HAS NO BALLS
You're half right.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #24
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

I do not want that fat slob any where near this team.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #25
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

SOMEONE needs to help Josh. Maybe it was managing HC and OC duties that was culprit, but we had a 30% decline in offensive production. Unacceptable from an offensive genius.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote