The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut
Default Sources: Marshall late for therapy

Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels decided to bench wide receiver Brandon Marshall for the regular-season finale after he was late to a scheduled therapy session with the Denver medical staff for treatment of a hamstring injury the team already believed he was exaggerating, according to multiple team sources.

Both Marshall and tight end Tony Scheffler have been advised they will not be permitted on the sideline or in the locker room when the Broncos play the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday in a game with playoff implications.

The Broncos sent Marshall for an MRI on his hamstring after he complained of the injury during Wednesday's practice. According to team sources, the test indicated that Marshall's hamstring was healthy.

The latest showdown between the head coach and the Pro Bowl receiver actually began the week before when Marshall excused himself from practice, complaining the cold weather was making it difficult for him to breathe.

Then, as the team reviewed tape of its loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, in which Marshall dropped several passes, McDaniels mentioned that certain plays had to be made. Marshall apparently felt he was being unfairly singled out for criticism.

According to Broncos sources, the problems with Marshall and Scheffler came after team leaders including Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey, Kyle Orton, DJ Williams and Daniel Graham all met with McDaniels on Monday and encouraged him to take a hardline approach in preparing the team to finish the season against the Chiefs.

More: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4792471
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Popps
It's so easy

According to Broncos sources, the problems with Marshall and Scheffler came after team leaders including Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey, Kyle Orton, DJ Williams and Daniel Graham all met with McDaniels on Monday and encouraged him to take a hardline approach in preparing the team to finish the season against the Chiefs

Wow.

All I know is, there's way more to this than what we're hearing.

Whitlock just reported on NFL Netowork that...

"After Marshall secured his Pro Bowl on Wednesday, there was a feeling among the organization that there may have been some exaggeration involved with this injury."

Like I've said, I have no idea if the coach did the right thing or not. But, this was obviously something that was precipitated by many other things, not just a knee-jerk decision.

McDaniels was mature enough to not only work through Marshall's issues, but get a Pro Bowl season out of him. Don't tell me he would simply throw away this Chiefs game out of petty reasoning.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Dawkins & Bailey stock just fell with 70% of the board.

Gonna be interesting reads here the next week or so.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

marshall gets his 100 catches and makes pro bowl, he gives up on the season and worries about his contract...awesome marshall, hope you get traded.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Sounds like a divided lockerroom. Not sure about getting on Marshall for "not making plays". He had what, 1 bad quarter all year?
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

The NFL is a brotherhood where success is built by team players like Dawkins and Bailey. Marshall and Scheffler are "me first" guys and from the looks of it always will be. They also consistently drop passes and can't take criticism - this latter trait is one aspect of what's known as "immaturity".
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
According to Broncos sources, the problems with Marshall and Scheffler came after team leaders including Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey, Kyle Orton, DJ Williams and Daniel Graham all met with McDaniels on Monday and encouraged him to take a hardline approach in preparing the team to finish the season against the Chiefs

Wow.

"After Marshall secured his Pro Bowl on Wednesday, there was a feeling among the organization that there may have been some exaggeration involved with this injury."

Like I've said, I have no idea if the coach did the right thing or not. But, this was obviously something that was precipitated by many other things, not just a knee-jerk decision.

McDaniels was mature enough to not only work through Marshall's issues, but get a Pro Bowl season out of him. Don't tell me he would simply throw away this Chiefs game out of petty reasoning.
I respect Brian Dawkins and Champ Bailey.Other's suck.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
TheDave
Sauced...

Well this isn't going to help his trade value...
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The NFL is a brotherhood where success is built by team players like Dawkins and Bailey. Marshall and Scheffler are "me first" guys and from the looks of it always will be. They also consistently drop passes and can't take criticism - this latter trait is one aspect of what's known as "immaturity".
great post, rep

I think this sums it up also
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

So where are all those idiots trying to pile on McDaniels for doing his job as head coach of that football team. Just as I was suspecting he was doing.

If they want the players to run everything then don't hire a head coach.
ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachKC View Post
So where are all those idiots trying to pile on McDaniels for doing his job as head coach of that football team. Just as I was suspecting he was doing.

If they want the players to run everything then don't hire a head coach.
its funny how charger and chiefs fans realize taht mcd is doing a better job that most idiotic bronco fans will admit.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

But...but....RacistBroncoFan7 told me McD was losing the locker room.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #13
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
its funny how charger and chiefs fans realize taht mcd is doing a better job that most idiotic bronco fans will admit.
You're mostly an idiot.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #14
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Well this isn't going to help his trade value...
Might be true but with so many teams needing a top notch receiver, I think we will get top dollar for his sorry ass....
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

Wow.

This is why I reserved judgement on the actual move to formally bench the guy. I wanted to know what the team leaders thought. Nice to find out. That said, I think McDaniels made a mistake by going public with the move. It should have been left internally.

I think, and could be wrong, that going public with it was a calculated move. At least I hope it was. I think Josh felt like he needed to do a little CYA with the fans because he doesn't plan on bringing Marshall back this season. Even if this is true, I think he should have left it inside company walls. It doesn't help our situation in trying to deal him.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #16
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
You're mostly an idiot.
youre gutless drunk posts, as well as mcd is destroying this franchise posts and gloom and goom BS, prove that you have no right to call people anything.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #17
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
youre gutless drunk posts, as well as mcd is destroying this franchise posts and gloom and goom BS, prove that you have no right to call people anything.
You're mostly an idiot.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #18
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco john View Post
you're mostly an idiot.
lol
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #19
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
This is why I reserved judgement on the actual move to formally bench the guy. I wanted to know what the team leaders thought. Nice to find out. That said, I think McDaniels made a mistake by going public with the move. It should have been left internally.

I think, and could be wrong, that going public with it was a calculated move. At least I hope it was. I think Josh felt like he needed to do a little CYA with the fans because he doesn't plan on bringing Marshall back this season. Even if this is true, I think he should have left it inside company walls. It doesn't help our situation in trying to deal him.
Absolutely it was, Taco.

He made a point to say that this was the result of a team meeting on Wednesday, as well. I mean, like it or not... this isn't a move made without thought, and certainly wasn't a move made without consulting his team leaders.

We'll see it if it works out in the long-run, but he wouldn't have done this if he didn't think it was the right thing to do for the team. This notion that it may have been "petty" is insane.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #20
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Quote:

You mean to keep the quotes behind the scenes, right? Because there's no way something like this could be held back unless McDaniels simply lied and said he wasn't playing because of the injury. But if there were issues with Marshall's behavior, it lets the rest of the team know they can get away with these things and that coach would cover for them. Maybe the spat of words was a bit much, but these guys had to be called out for dogging it on the team.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #21
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRulon McVelvet McJones View Post
You mean to keep the quotes behind the scenes, right? Because there's no way something like this could be held back unless McDaniels simply lied and said he wasn't playing because of the injury.

It can be and has in the past. A very similar scenario played itself out behind the scenes with Trevor Pryce. Why do you think we let our best pass rusher get away to the Ravens? I managed co catch some of the behind the scenes whispers about it under strict confidence. One of those, "they'll know who the source is if this gets out, so this is for your ears only..." kind of tips.

Last edited by Taco John; 01-03-2010 at 10:09 AM..
Old 01-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #22
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:

I also felt that this should have been handled internally to avoid the negative media attention.

Since they wanted to go public with it, the information that was provided at the beginning of this thread should have been given when the decision was made. That would have avoided a lot of knee jerk reactions. If this information is correct, then the organization, and McD, wouldn't have looked so bad.

I wonder what the other side of the story is. Once they decided to go public, they should have released all information so people wouldn't have to fill in the blanks.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #23
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I appreciate Champ, BDawk and a few others taking ****heads to task and telling the coach to do so, despite the repercussions of the action.

I've long said Brandon Marshall was a great football player, but a piece of crap off the field. Guys like styguy continue to mock regulars for our hardline stance as if we haven't seen BMarsh's bastard act before.

Get draft picks for this guy and move on. Unfortunately, that's one more hole to fill. Man what I wouldn't give to trade Brandon Marshall for Miles Austin, straight up.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:15 AM   #24
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:

Wow.

since the leaders came to McD on Wednesday and this BM problem came on Wednesday, I am not going to say there is a connection between them and BM but when I heard the ESPN interview of him telling everyone about his vintage car collection and showing off the "beauty" and "the Beast" collector cars, I was thinking if the pro bowl was more important. Not stating fact, but just a passing feeling on it. Then Friday comes around......
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #25
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:

With all this tweet stuff and the blogs, it's almost impossible to keep this stuff internal within the organization. The old days when you could lock the reporters out are long gone. To tweet or not to tweet that is the question.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote