The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Shanahan's last 3 seasons as Bronco coach

Since the McDaniels' bashers, despite most(someone around here will still read this as "all") predicting fewer than 8 wins for this season, are now believing McDaniels should be fired for the team struggling at the end of the season. So let's look how wonderful Shanahan's teams did, not just his last season, but his last 3 seasons as Bronco coach.

9-7 record - NO PLAYOFFS

They lost 5 of their last 7 games, including 3 homes games in that stretch.

How many McDaniels' bashers called for Shanahan's firing then?

7-9 - NO PLAYOFFS

They lost 4 of their last 6 games that season.

8-8

Lost 4 of their last 6 games, including 2 home games.

But McDaniels should be fired though after ONE season, which is his first year as a coach no less, for not doing well at the end of the season? Just makes a ton of sense

Maybe should start a thread showing just how "well" Shanahan drafted with defensive players. The number of draft busts rounds 1-4 would be astounding. Forget just defense, I still remember a Travis McGriff pick of his in the 3rd round. What the hell was that?

Last edited by barryr; 01-02-2010 at 11:41 AM..
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
TheDave
Sauced...

Who cares what people thought about Shanahan?

The fact is, our team has lost 7 out of 9, barring a miracle will now miss the playoffs after starting 6-0... and our coach is now publicly arguing with our star player.

Though I do not believe he should be fired for that, people have every right to be pissed regardless of what they said about Shanny.

Last edited by TheDave; 01-02-2010 at 11:47 AM..
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Duh, because that's the point. I don't recall saying people shouldn't be pissed. Where did I write that? Show me. I believe it was about showing that Shanahan's last 3 season as Bronco coach were of the same result, yet why call for a first year head coach's head but not an experienced coach who did no better? I don't see how that was hard to comprehend. I like how people don't read what's stated and imply what they want it to say.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Duh, because that's the point.
Yeah... I know.

and I disagreed with your point.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I don't see where going back and looking at Shanahan's record is going to make people feel any better about losing the last 7 of 9 games.

That said, I agree with the point that we can't fire McDaniels over it right now. I think that's a terrible idea that would result in more floundering for years to come.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's not about making people feel better since I'm not trying to be a psychiatrist. It's about showing the hypocrisy some are having in calling for McDaniels' head after one season as coach when doubtful many if any of them were calling for Shanahan's when it happened his last 3 years as coach. That's the point, nothing more or less.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Who cares what people thought about Shanahan?

The fact is, our team has lost 7 out of 9, barring a miracle will now miss the playoffs after starting 6-0... and our coach is now publicly arguing with our star player.

Though I do not believe he should be fired for that, people have every right to be pissed regardless of what they said about Shanny.
Trouble is, it's the same snivelers that predicted total, awful, unmitigated disaster.

The point is these guys still sniveling about McD is a disaster have no credibility, it's just a continuation of their sniveling.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I don't see where going back and looking at Shanahan's record is going to make people feel any better about losing the last 7 of 9 games.

That said, I agree with the point that we can't fire McDaniels over it right now. I think that's a terrible idea that would result in more floundering for years to come.
Hell, 5 of those losses were to teams currently in the playoffs or still in the playoff hunt. So for a rookie coach to lose those games some look at it as not such a big deal, some just continue their same sniveling they started out with just about one calendar year ago.

Don't pretend like there's not a bunch of just plain snivelers here on the board. They'll snivel about ANYTHING.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

People forget that Shanny was fired for the last ten years of failure....not the the last three alone.

He's gone....get over it.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

We wre rebuilding a dominant offense. We didn't have a dminant HB, but Hillis before he went on IR.

I'm not even going to bother with Hillis, either you saw him kicking ass or were blind.

The D was attrocious, no stops, no turnovers,

Our sucsess is 80% Nolan, period, along some verteran, savvy players, and a healthy Champ and Dawkins.

WTF do you think this man blocking is doing but destroying our running game?

I don't get it. Ouur line, a strenfgth last year is horrible.

Royal has 35 catches, and BM and Sheff have been benched.

McMoron deserves to be fired.

This team has double the stops on 3rd down and double the turnovers.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #11
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

You guys are dumb for wanting a rookie head coach fired after a 9-7 season.

Quote:
Our sucsess is 80% Nolan, period, along some verteran, savvy players, and a healthy Champ and Dawkins.
Orchestrated by whom?
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #12
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Trouble is, it's the same snivelers that predicted total, awful, unmitigated disaster.

The point is these guys still sniveling about McD is a disaster have no credibility, it's just a continuation of their sniveling.
And you have admitiied to never saying much of anything... if we were all a bunch of cito's there would be no reason to come to this board.

but for the sake of conversation... keep this in mind. 2-7 IS a disaster so the "snivelers" have the right to complain.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
brother love
Pro Bowler

Yeah guys it could be worse. We could have Todd Haley.
brother love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #14
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
You guys are dumb for wanting a rookie head coach fired after a 9-7 season.

Orchestrated by whom?
oh crap....I agree with Bob....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #15
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Don't pretend like there's not a bunch of just plain snivelers here on the board. They'll snivel about ANYTHING.

Believe me, I know all about that. But I don't think that's unique to any particular point of view. That's just people being people.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #16
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

From that it looks like McD's future is promising. He continues to build this team and filters out the players that for whatever reason don't fit in his plans or system. That may be personality or performance reasons.

I remain patient and encouraged by the progress.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #17
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Believe me, I know all about that. But I don't think that's unique to any particular point of view. That's just people being people.
People are pissed off... Sure some are taking it too far. Just like the ones who started superbowl threads when we were 6-0.

I get a kick out of people thinking this is something new.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
TD30
Big Bad Wolf

Last I checked we still need a win to get to 9 and 7. No bmarsh 8 and 8 very possible
TD30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #19
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
People are pissed off... Sure some are taking it too far. Just like the ones who started superbowl threads when we were 6-0.

I get a kick out of people thinking this is something new.
It's a little different. In past years, the band wagon has been no worse than 80/20 in difference of opinion... And probably more like 90/10. Right now, it seems more like 30/30/30/10 with the bandwagon being fractured to the core.

The thing that gets me is that it's everywhere. On every Broncos forum (at least that I've monitored) and worse if you listen to Broncos talk radio. This place is a regular Josh McDaniels pep rally if you listen to Broncos talk radio.

But whatever. The way I figure it, we just have to ride the lightning.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #20
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
It's a little different. In past years, the band wagon has been no worse than 80/20 in difference of opinion... And probably more like 90/10. Right now, it seems more like 30/30/30/10 with the bandwagon being fractured to the core.

The thing that gets me is that it's everywhere. On every Broncos forum (at least that I've monitored) and worse if you listen to Broncos talk radio. This place is a regular Josh McDaniels pep rally if you listen to Broncos talk radio.

At this point the fan base is a mirror image of the team. We were world beaters in the begining and posted yet another historic collapse.

Serriosly, I've seen divorces go smother than the McDaniels/Marshall marriage. Everything started fine on day one and through the cutler trade, then comes the training camp fiasco, followed by the suspension, followed by the hugging and high 5's and, well... here we are all over again.

Oddly enough, this season has been so up and down that anyone who steered clear of the 3-13 vs 13-3 predictions can say I told you so.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #21
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
And you have admitiied to never saying much of anything... if we were all a bunch of cito's there would be no reason to come to this board.

but for the sake of conversation... keep this in mind. 2-7 IS a disaster so the "snivelers" have the right to complain.
Good point. I tend to be judicious when I choose to rant.

I say the 2-7 isn't a "disaster" because 5 of those losses were to strong playoff teams or to good current playoff contenders. Obviuosly the stupid ****ing players and coaches went FUBAR against the two teams they should have beat to guarantee a playoff berth, those stupid ****s, I'll never forgive them. Pisses me off beyond belief. Is that better?
Old 01-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #22
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:

Speaking of Broncos talk radio, there is now THREE NFL radio shows in the Denver market. 1510 AM, 1600 AM, 104.3 FM. Prior to 2009 there was only one.

1510 is Jim Armstrong (Denver Post) and I forget who. 1600 is Vic Lombardi (ABC local sports guy) and Gary Miller. 104.3 is the old-timers of Denver sports radio Irv Brown, Sandy Clough, etc.

It's interesting that 1600 has John Elway and Rod Smith as regular guys, Elway on Mondays, Rod Smith on Thursdays, they're very interesting interviews the both of them.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #23
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
At this point the fan base is a mirror image of the team.
I agree 100% with this.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #24
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Ah, gotta love it. The unbelievable expectations of the Denver Bronco fan-base.

Shanahan was trying to rebuild everything after that 2005 AFC Championship run. We had an offense led by a mobile QB, who couldn't compete against the best in the AFC. He had a defense which was full of transition guys and vets that were beginning to wind down.

What did you expect the next few years were going to be like? We were missing players at QB, HB, WR, OL, DL, LB, and DB. Literally every position on the roster needed an infusion of talent.

Maybe shame on Shanny for not drafting better to keep us out of that situation... shame on him for rebuilding... but he had some positive parts in place for the next regime which were completely blown up.

Now we're starting over. Again.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #25
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

So the fact that Shanahan had over a decade to put his team together just the way he wanted it has no bearing? McD has had exactly 1 season to begin to change this team. Although many changes have been made, it doesn't mean that the changes were McD's top choices. It just means that they were the best available in an incredibly short amount of time. I'll give the rookie head coach some time to bring in his guys before I call for his head, and compare him to a coach who had all of his own guys in place.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote