The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
BroncoSojia
Go Broncos

Thanks Champ for the past 10 years

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bey Bey Thomas
Default Friday Transcripts: Marshall

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=9732

BRANDON MARSHALL - 1/1/10

On Head Coach Josh McDaniels' decision to deactivate him for Sunday's game against Kansas City
"I don't think (Head) Coach (Josh McDaniels) ever played in the NFL so for my hamstring to be feeling the way it felt, it's tough for me to go out there and expect to play at a high level. I've battled through a lot of injuries before. I played the whole year last year with a tear in my hip, so I don't think my toughness is in question here. I've just got to do my best just to get back to 100 percent. Hopefully, things fall into place where it should be, and hope we get into the playoffs, and I'll be there with my teammates."

On why McDaniels did not go into specifics when explaining his deactivation
"I don't understand why he didn't answer it. It's because of my hamstring. I got an MRI on it. The MRI came back that there was no structural damage in there. When you try to explode and take off, if you don't have it, you don't have it. It's bad because it's a crucial game for us, but we've got guys who can make plays. We've got guys who have been in this league for years who play this position who can get it done and carry our team."

On McDaniels' emphasis on accountability being a reason that he will be inactive on Sunday
"I don't know what coach said, but I doubt if he said I wasn't buying in because I'm the guy who has been giving up a lot for this team. I've been giving it my all. I'm excited about the opportunity that we have. There are a lot of things that can be in our favor this week to make it to the playoffs. If that happens, I'm going to do my best to be out there with my teammates, but it makes no sense for me to go out there. You can't run 50 percent. (It's) just bad timing."

On how the deactivation affects his relationship with McDaniels
"I don't know what Coach said. If he did say the things that you guys are saying, I don't know why he would say that, but I approached this year in a professional manner, and I'm going to continue to do that. If he decides to take some personal shots because of the way the season is unfolding, it's not my fault. I've made big plays when I'm supposed to. You go back to the Dallas game, the New England game-there are a bunch of games that I've been there and made some huge plays to help us move the ball. I've been unselfish when they've told me I'm not a starter and the reason for it was that I haven't separated myself from anybody. I went out there and I tried to separate myself, and I've done that. I'm going to keep it professional and continue to rehab and hopefully things fall in place for us to move forward into the playoffs."

On if he feels that he has had an issue with being accountable to the team
"Accountability and injury are different. Accountability and injury are different. I wouldn't say pulled my hamstring-it's definitely not that bad. It's tough."

On McDaniels' comment that other players will play with more severe injuries than he has on Sunday
"I was told last year, too, that I didn't have a tear in my hip and I had gotten several MRIs on my hip last year. This is just bad. It's bad for the fans, everyone, my teammates, myself (and) my family. Every game is a playoff game for me. I'm playing for a lot. Every game I go out there playing to give it my all because of trying to achieve my goals. For me not to be out there probably hurts me more than anybody else. I have a lot of things that I want to achieve, a lot of things that I want to do, and it's not just for this game. It's every game that I've played in this year."

On if he was going to try to play through the injury
"This is probably the biggest game for us all year. When you have a muscle injury, that thing doesn't heal over night. Like I said, I've got to do my best to try to be there for the playoffs if we get into the playoffs, but it has nothing to do with accountability."

On if he felt McDaniels was frustrated that he didn't practice yesterday
"No, he hasn't really said anything to me. He just came in today and told me I was deactivated (and that) he's make an announcement today. I have to respect that. I have to respect that. He's the head coach. He makes the decisions around here, and he has to do what's best for the team. It's tough when you don't get a chance to go through the week of preparation and practicing to be able to think you're going to go out there and participate (in the game). It's not fair to our team, it's not fair to our players, but it's just a freak accident. I ran a slant-I was cramping in the (Philadelphia) game Sunday, and my hamstrings were pretty tight from that. I had to get an IV. My muscles were pretty tight. I came out here on Wednesday and it just pulled or something, I'm not sure."

On the fans' perception of his relationship with the team
"There is no more drama. I'm going to be professional about everything moving forward. Like I said, it's an injury. I've played through injuries before, but like I said, last year I was told that I was fine. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way. I had a tear in my hip. You've just got to listen to your body, and my body, obviously, something was wrong when I pulled up on Wednesday. I'm just going to continue to rehab and hopefully be there (for the playoffs) of things fall in place."

On his future with the Broncos
"Like I said, I'm going to be professional about the whole team. I love my teammates; my teammates love me. This has been a really smooth season for us as far as just communication and just growing as a person, as a professional athlete. I'm going to continue to do that. That's pretty much it."

On if he is emotionally hurt by the decision to deactivate him for Sunday's game against Kansas City
"I'm hurt for the fact that this is an opportunity for me to go out there and continue to prove myself (and) prove to others what I can do in this league. For me not to get the opportunity because of injury, it sucks, but I'm not the only one that's hurt in the National Football League. It's around that time of the year. I've just got to deal with it."

On how he hopes to proceed with his NFL career
"In a professional manner. Anything I do moving forward is going to be in a professional manner. I'm not going to get into any he-said, she-said (situations) like we've done in the past. I think that's childish. Like I said, I don't think there is any question about my toughness. The way I play the game, it could be first-and-10 and if I gain 15 yards, I'm fighting for 16 yards. I'm that type of guy who's going to give it up on every play in every game, especially for obvious reasons. I have a family. Every game is a big game to me."
BroncoSojia is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Wow, if that isn't an interview trying to stir some stuff up between a player and a coach, I don't know what is.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Queue the McDaniels haters...
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

It's nice to read the full interview.

One has to wonder what McDaniels full interview looked like.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Probably like a bunch of words and sentences thrown together to form paragraphs.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post

It's on denverbroncos.com
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
skmoser
Rookie

i dont understand it... he says that he cant play but that he is hurt that he was inactivated... sounds like he wants it both ways
skmoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Could be the Broncos are just taking a conservative approach to Marshall's pulled hamstring. They don't want another off season controversey like last years hip injury. The Broncos have listened to Marshall and are looking out for his best interest.

Last edited by NYBronco; 01-01-2010 at 04:18 PM..
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
steeledude
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronco View Post
Could be the Broncos are just taking a conservative approach to Marshall's pulled hamstring. They don't want another off season controversey like last years hip injury. The Broncos have listened to Marshall and are looking out for his best interest.
You should watch McD's interview on the subject, it's on denverbroncos.com

It's pretty clear he's pissed at Marshall. He calls him out. It doesn't look good.
steeledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Marshall probably pulled the same stuff he did when Shanahan called him a fuzzy puzzy....

I be the only two players that are made about this are Marshall and Scheffler....good riddance.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post

It's on the db.com front page...
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #12
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Beat the Chiefs, start Marshall in the playoffs and NOONE will remember this.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Beat the Chiefs, start Marshall in the playoffs and NOONE will remember this.
Yep.

Conversely, I'm just trying to scan the fuzzy memory banks and recall a time a key player injured himself in practice the week before what amounts to a playoff game.

I just never remember Rod Smith having issues like this... or Eddie Mac, etc.

Not saying it didn't happen, but it's the biggest game of the season, and our (theoretical) star receiver hurts himself so badly jogging in practice that he can't play?

Again, it just seems like if Rod Smith would have hurt his leg in practice... we all would have been absolutely shocked. With Marshall, for some reason... this just isn't that surprising.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #14
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Popps - maybe none of that information was never revealed...you know how Shanny works.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #15
TheDave
Sauced...

I just wish our coach would learn to keep his mouth shut about this stuff...

If Brandon is going to be traded this offseason it would sure help his value if possible partners didn't know about this issue.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #16
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
Popps - maybe none of that information was never revealed...you know how Shanny works.
Good point, I just never recall Rod missing a huge game because of a jogging injury in practice.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #17
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

^^^ His contract expires this off season.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #18
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
^^^ His contract expires this off season.
Not without a CBA it doesn't... Without the CBA he is a RFA.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #19
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Good point, I just never recall Rod missing a huge game because of a jogging injury in practice.
True.

I'm kind of confused tho on what's the big deal. From what I'm reading - Marshall is saying he CAN'T play because of his injury.

So he was deactivated...

Am I missing something?
Old 01-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #20
bombay
Ring of Famer

I give Brandon a lot of credit for the way he handled that interview. The guy tried to bait him, and he really didn't allow it to happen. He's taking the high road here.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #21
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Not without a CBA it doesn't... Without the CBA he is a RFA.
The philosophy is on dealing what's in front of you. Right now, it's about the possibility of making the playoffs.

What is there to hide anyways?
Old 01-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #22
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
True.

I'm kind of confused tho on what's the big deal. From what I'm reading - Marshall is saying he CAN'T play because of his injury.

So he was deactivated...

Am I missing something?
My interpretation is that he WON'T play because of pain. He has said there is no structural damage (at least none that showed up on an MRI) but that he can't push off explosively, which I interpret as Marshall doesn't think he will be that effective so he decided to take himself out so he fully heals to be effective if we make a playoff game. McDaniels says players are currently playing through more painful injuries then Marshall, so I think its a commitment or want to issue rather then a injury one.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #23
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
The philosophy is on dealing what's in front of you. Right now, it's about the possibility of making the playoffs.

What is there to hide anyways?
Deactivating your best player sure doesn't help make the playoffs.

According to McDaniels Brandon could play on this (he said others are playing on much worse)

Now, by no means am I taking BMarsh's side (I learned that lesson a long time ago)... I just wish our coach would learn to keep his mouth shut with stuff like this.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #24
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

why don't they just go to therapy already?
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #25
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Deactivating your best player sure doesn't help make the playoffs.

According to McDaniels Brandon could play on this (he said others are playing on much worse)

Now, by no means am I taking BMarsh's side (I learned that lesson a long time ago)... I just wish our coach would learn to keep his mouth shut with stuff like this.
I agree. I think Marshall is pretty clearly thinking of the offseason more then this season, and I don't have a problem with McDaniels sending a message to the team that quitting early or deciding when you will play isn't an option. I wish he would do it quietly and in-house though, so we don't end up being the ones punished with a worse trade then we could get, as well as more distracting drama.

Last edited by skpac1001; 01-01-2010 at 05:42 PM..
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote