The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Default McDaniels, Broncos soon will focus on 2010 season

Q&A: McDaniels, Broncos soon will focus on 2010 season
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
POSTED: 12/30/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Denver Broncos Head Coach Josh McDaniels yells out at referee Mike Carey during the fourth quarter against the Philadelphia Eagles Sunday, December, 27, 2009 at Lincoln Financial Field. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)
Today's question about the Broncos comes from William of Aurora.

Q: With one game left in the regular season, and at least one more game if they make the playoffs, what do you think the Broncos will do during the offseason?

A: While their draft preparations are in full swing, the Broncos won't turn their attention to the roster until they are done for the season.

In terms of free agency, they have some significant issues — most notably Pro Bowl outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil (who leads the NFL in sacks), Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall, quarterback Kyle Orton, tight end Tony Scheffler and guard Chris Kuper.

Dumervil is likely a top priority over the long-term. And the Broncos
need to make a decision about Orton's future — whether to sign him to a multiyear contract or tender him a one-year offer to keep him in the offense for another season.
Marshall wants a new contract, but the Broncos have to decide what they believe his attitude and approach to the game would look like with a pile of guaranteed money.

They will give plenty of attention to the offensive and defensive lines in free agency and the draft. When Josh McDaniels was with the Patriots, coach Bill Belichick used plenty of premium picks to select linemen on both sides of the ball.

McDaniels was critical of the Denver offensive line's performance last weekend against the Eagles, and the Broncos haven't consistently controlled the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball during the team's 2-7 stumble down the stretch.

Last offseason the Broncos rushed into the free-agent market, quickly signing several players. They likely will have plenty of turnover once again as McDaniels continues to build the roster he wants.

The Broncos have a quality first-round draft pick to play with. Though McDaniels took a lot of heat for trading the Broncos' first-round pick instead of the one the team got from the Bears in the Jay Cutler deal to move up and select Alphonso Smith, the Bears' first-round pick that now belongs to Denver will be better.

The Bears are 6-9, which currently slots them at No. 10 in the draft. They finish the season at Detroit this weekend.

Win or lose Sunday, playoffs or not, it won't take long for the Broncos to turn their attention to 2010.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/br...#ixzz0bFcY3NBs

oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I'm hoping they only tender Orton, no reason to do a long term deal even if they do think they may keep him longer term.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I'm hoping they only tender Orton, no reason to do a long term deal even if they do think they may keep him longer term.
Absolutely, not reason to commit to a QB the coach doesn't trust.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Marshall and Dumerville are no-brainers to keep around. Look for mini Cutler-esque meltdown around here if we don't find a way to keep them.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

If the Broncos hover around .500 over the next few years then McD will be gone. So I'm sure he doesn't want to go long term with Orton and he probably wants to find the right QB asap.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think Denver has to pay Doom and Marshall. Kuper needs a look. Orton i aggree with the above poster that said just tag him RFA. Give him another year and try to put some pieces in front of him. It has been shown that if he has a line in front of him he can be successful.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

When Josh McDaniels was with the Patriots, coach Bill Belichick used plenty of premium picks to select linemen on both sides of the ball.

Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Ideally, we nab a young QB that can mentor under Orton for at least a year.

Then Orton decides he's ok with being a backup (which is an ideal role for him), or shops his wares elsewhere looking for a starting job.

Biggest mistake this team can make this off-season is signing Orton to a big contract.
Atwater His Ass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Say it with me now, Colt McCoy!

I love Orton, and I hope we keep him for next year, but a young QB is needed. And don't give me all that Brandstater crap. Know who else looked decent in preseason? ****ing Simms.
Inkana7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Kuper needs a long term deal as do Bmarsh and Doom. As for Orton, I'm with others who think a one year deal is best for the team, just be fair to Orton and don't low ball the guy, give him some good money, he deserves it.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #11
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Priority:

1. Doom
2. BMarsh
3. Kuper
4. Orton
5. Scheffler

I would love to keep Kupe. I could see a situation where he's let go though. Denver could attempt to sign Logan Mankins and draft a guy like Mike Iupati. We still need to find somebody who can play center.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:09 PM   #12
Bronco Warrior
Opinionated Jerk

Ranting Maniac!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Don't know why everybody wants Mankins..he's a holding underachieving sack of turd like thast whole Sadass Cheatriots line. Hochstien has been solid and we can draft a great guard 2-5 rounds this year. We need to keep Kuper and Doom and Marshall and we have plenty of mony to keep Sheffler is McNuggies isn't an idiot! (Jury still out)
As for Orton..multi-year contract Hell to the NO!!
Dog Tom "Stater" Salad allyou want but he big mobile and has a cannon to make all the throws Orton can't. If he actually gets any reps next year he will shine! Watch his Frsno St game films! the guys a baller!
Bronco Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Orton will be our starter next year and likely extended for 3-5 years.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
Bronco Warrior
Opinionated Jerk

Ranting Maniac!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If Orton stays our starter look forward to 3-5 years of mediocrity!
Bronco Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:26 PM   #15
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

My opinion means squat to Broncos FO little will shock me in 2010. Only shock for me is if we traded Clady. I figure McD will want his guys BM Royal Doom Hillis Schef DJ are not so figure its possible they might be moved.

I do think Denver will pay Orton more then fans think this offseason.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 12-31-2009 at 03:34 PM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #16
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Priority:

1. Doom
2. BMarsh
3. Kuper
4. Orton
5. Scheffler

I would love to keep Kupe. I could see a situation where he's let go though. Denver could attempt to sign Logan Mankins and draft a guy like Mike Iupati. We still need to find somebody who can play center.
I agree with this list pretty much. I don't see why they won't be able to keep the 1st 4 on that list, unless BMarsh is trying to get paid the most $ in the NFL at this point.

Scheffler is a history though.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:30 PM   #17
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post

Then Orton decides he's ok with being a backup (which is an ideal role for him), or shops his wares elsewhere looking for a starting job.

Biggest mistake this team can make this off-season is signing Orton to a big contract.
I have a feeling there are going to be some very disappointed fans around here this offseason...
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #18
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I see us opening up the vault for Dumervil. The dude can get after the QB. There is always a premium on that. I'm not sure how we will treat B.Marsh or Kuper. I expect they both will be back with new contracts. Orton will get the RFA offer and Scheffler will be gone. He is useless in this offense and we traded up to draft a TE last year. Quinn will see the field more next year. I expect us to use our 1st round pick on either a ILB, 3 Technique DE (whispers of the dude from Ohio St climbing the board to us) or a darkhorse pick is Dez Bryant. Eddie Royal could then move over and take over Stokleys spot in the slot.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:33 PM   #19
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Priority:

1. Doom
2. BMarsh
3. Kuper
4. Orton
5. Scheffler

that would be my order as well . thing is we can keep them all . If we don't it is because our fearless leader does not want them ... oh he is my guy....
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:53 PM   #20
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

regardless of how the rest of this season turns out. be it 9-7 and no playoffs, 9-7 and back into the playoffs or 8-8, i am happy with this team this season. last season and the years before, this team just quit near the end of the season. things got rough and they quit. this year, while the results haven't been great, and it became obvious we are still a long way off from being a true contender, this team never laid down. that Philly game is a perfect example of the difference between this Broncos squad and the teams of recent years. last year or the years before had the score been 27-7 there would have been no comeback, there would have been an even bigger uglier loss, but this team gave all it had and just came up short.

i am happy with where this team is heading and will be even happier when Doom, Marshall and Kuper are wrapped up long term.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #21
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post

i am an Orton supporter and my opinion on the best thing we can do is, after we secure Doom and Marshall is tender him 1st and 3rd, because with that tender he is only going to get paid like 2.5 million if no one tries to sign him and it opens up opportunities for us being that we either end up with Orton 1 more year on a reasonable contract or we receive picks for the guy. it is a win win situation.

we can look into bringing in a QB in the 2nd round, because there will no doubt still be at least 1 QB who is currently being graded as a 1st rounder that slips into the 2nd round because he had a mediocre showing at the combine or teams drafting other need positions led to a guy slipping out of the 1st. if the team plays the situation smart, we will be in a great situation with the QB position next season.

on a side note, i seriously doubt Orton will willingly take being a backup. after guys like Anderson, and Cassell made bank after 1 good year, look for him to cash in soon.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #22
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Orton will be our starter next year and likely extended for 3-5 years.

Wow. If we sign Orton to a 3-5 year deal, and let Marshall slip away...

Man I hope Josh knows what he's doing.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #23
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i am an Orton supporter and my opinion on the best thing we can do is, after we secure Doom and Marshall is tender him 1st and 3rd, because with that tender he is only going to get paid like 2.5 million if no one tries to sign him and it opens up opportunities for us being that we either end up with Orton 1 more year on a reasonable contract or we receive picks for the guy. it is a win win situation.

We're in a real sticky situation because Orton and Campbell are the best things going as far as the Free Agent market goes. Reminds me of 2003 when it was Plummer and Kordell.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:38 AM   #24
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

McCoy.

Oops, forgot we don't have 2 firsts.

My bad.

McDummy willllll pay Orton 15 million and draft a LB other than McCoy.

We won't get to he real talent and have no way to get there now.

If our draft is as bad as 09...
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #25
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I don't like any of the first round QB's this year.

Maybe take a late round guy like Nathan Enderle if he comes out. I think he could be good.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote