The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default any madden tips?

OK, I got my kid Madden for xbox 360 for Christmas. I never had played the game before. First time I had the Broncos, he had the Packers and I lost 17 to 7. Then I took the Colts, he took the Lions, and he won 38 to 0 (with Peyton throwing 4 picks under my direction). I'm doing something wrong - any tips?

To make this somewhat Bronco related, when you have the Broncos in Madden what's your strategy?
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I've recently picked up 10 after not having played since early in the decade.

Holy crap has it gotten more complicated.

I've played about a half dozen games or so and the run seems to be the answer. INT city when I start throwing. I did find though that, if you're the Broncos, Quinn the new TE is a freakin awesome receiver on lobs. Keep the lob vs bullet in mind as that makes probably the biggest difference in the game. If you bullet when the DB is between you and the receiver, you often will get an INT. Lob it over your receiver and you may be fine.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

run the ball, and dont be afraid to run screens, they work great most of the time.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer

always helps to have a mobile qb in Madden to by more time. I get sacked all the time without one. I have no problem scoring points it's the defense I have a hard time with. I can't stop anybody. The bend and break defense.
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Roll View Post
always helps to have a mobile qb in Madden to by more time. I get sacked all the time without one. I have no problem scoring points it's the defense I have a hard time with. I can't stop anybody. The bend and break defense.
Ah. The Slowick.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

always turn the unit on before you start ( it makes the experience much better)
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Play within your offense. I never pass more than 17 yards or so with the Broncos, because it just doesn't work. Also, find a few "Bread and butter" plays in each formation you like. I use slants alot, Off tackle runs with Moreno, Iso with Buck, and I throw to Peyton in the Flats ALOT. Then off of those 1-3 plays from each formation throw in some Play Action or different runs/stuff that looks fun. Also, I utilize Sheffler as my receiving TE because he's faster than Graham.

Don't attempt to wear a defense down with the run, they never get tired.

Also, remember it's a game. The #'s rule just about everything in it, sometimes random **** happens, but usually if you play the numbers you'll win.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Start a new Franchise and trade Orton for Manning, Wayne, and a 7th round pick.

Oh and don't try throwing to Clady, it doesn't work in reality or in the game.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

You can pass with Orton, you can pass with anyone, but you have to know your limits. Just like McDaniels has to in reality, you must scale back the playbook for Orton and limit him to short throws.

Here are a few tips, but i could talk forever on this.

1. Establish a good balance of run and pass. It's easy to get carried away and to want to shred the field like Drew Brees but unless you are actually using Brees or Manning this will usually fail. Establishing a solid run game isn't easy and is not always consistent but doing it will keep your opponent off balance.

2. Run the right running plays. Unless you are using AP or someone really fast, don't use stretches, counters, or tosses. Use run plays that get the ball to the running back very quickly. Running up the middle is great, even for smaller backs. I like to use plays that start just to the right or the left of the middle and if i can't hit the hole between the guard and the tackle i just hit the outside corner. Avoid running straight right or left, get the yards that are there. Don't expect homeruns. They will happen, but not nearly as often as you would like.

3. Pay BIG attention to your blockers. Unless the offensive line is getting dominated and there are defenders in your face right away, don't use the sprint button until you see a nice hole open up. Give the blocks time to develop. If you are cutting it to the outside, you will usually be relying on a TE or WR to block and they can often times whiff, but still give them a shot because at that point if they do make the block it will be a huge gain. Sometimes, though, you must slow down and let them get further ahead of you for just a moment. It's risk vs. reward, and you may get tackled from behind.

Figure out the coverage before you snap the ball. Simply putting a receiver in motion from one side of the field to the other will tell you if he is in zone or man to man. If the CB follows him all the way over, it's man. If he only follows half way and then goes back to his spot, it's zone. Once you know this, either run the play or change the routes of the receivers as necessary... this is called a hot route.

Learn which routes work against the different coverages. In man, if you have time in the pocket, any WR can get open if he is fast enough. For man coverage, it's best to run in's and especially out patterns. Your position in reference to the hash marks makes a huge difference here too. Don't run out patterns to the right if you are all the way on the right hash. There is no room. Even in the middle of the field, there's not much space on each side. With this in mind, always try to be on one side of the hash or the other. Does it matter which side? Yes. Even if you can flip plays, you might want a certain receiver to run a certain route.. like Royal on an out pattern. Know the position of your go to receivers in each pattern and use them according to their skill set. I sometimes even sacrifice run plays to a certain side just to get the next play run from that side of the field.

Use flexible formations. Don't always go 5 wide or max protect. Use formations that cater to run AND pass. This will make your offense less predictable. That said, when you use a pass heavy or run heavy offense, pay attention to how many linebackers the defense has. If you line up 5 wide, and you see he has 3 or 4 linebackers (you wil know because they initialy line up in the middle of the field and then pop to the outside to cover your extra receivers where as CB's are already there) then take advantage of the mismatches. Use the inside receivers to run outs and they will easily be wide open by the time they are near the sideline. And when you have this advantage....

NO HUDDLE! Lock the defender into a bad position. When you have mismatches, just keep no huddling and you can exploit them until either you score or they call a timeout. Also, use the no huddle to surprise them. This is one of my favorite things to do in Madden:

1. Call a play action pass that you know has worked well in the past. Preferably, use on that goes deep.

2. When you get to the line, audible to a run play. It is better if you use the "in formation" audible so that they don't see the change you made.

3. Hike the ball and get those yards.

4. NO HUDDLE.

5. Now, the play will revert back to the play that you initially called: The play action. Audible again to a run and try to get as many yards as you can.

6. No Huddle.

7. Here's where you have a choice to make. Either it's third down, or you have gotten a bunch of yards and it's 1st or 2nd. If it's third down, leave the play as it is and immediately snap the ball as soon as you can. The defender will think that you HAVE to be running the ball since you didn't have time to audible the play. If he is controlling a safety, he is likely to run up to the line to stop "the run" and you can take advantage long. If it is not third down, keep running the ball until you feel it is time to go deep.

There is much much more but, above all, being good at Madden comes down to these things:

1. Knowing your personnel.
2. Knowing the plays that work, and the routes of the receivers in those plays.
3. Not trying to do too much at once.
4. Knowing the controls, and the ways you can change the plays and routes.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #10
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

I got Madden for Christmas from hot and awesome wife. However I need help. The controls are different than old Madden on X-box, which is the last one I played. How do you audible to different plays without changing the formation? I can do the defensive audibles just fine. I mess with the coverage, defensive line and linebackers and that works. However I'm finding the offense a little harder. Also is there anyway to see the pass patterns on the field for the play you just called? I don't have that great of a memory.

Thanks!
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #11
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I got Madden for Christmas from hot and awesome wife. However I need help. The controls are different than old Madden on X-box, which is the last one I played. How do you audible to different plays without changing the formation? I can do the defensive audibles just fine. I mess with the coverage, defensive line and linebackers and that works. However I'm finding the offense a little harder. Also is there anyway to see the pass patterns on the field for the play you just called? I don't have that great of a memory.

Thanks!
I don't think you can audible into a different play without changing formations (unless the audible uses the same formation of course)

EDIT: When you hit the audible button there are a couple of plays in that formation you can change it to by moving the right joy stick up/down/left or right. It gives you a choice between a quick pass play, a deep pass, a PA pass, and a running play.

To see your play after you call it you hold down the left or the right trigger (I forget which one) and pull up on the right joystick.

Last edited by BMarsh615; 12-29-2009 at 06:52 PM..
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

I don't use the Broncos in this Madden. All of our players are underrated. I like using the Eagles when I play online. I use both of the Broncos playbooks though.

The Strong Slot formation with the TE/WR in the slot and a FB and a RB in the backfield is my favorite formation.

The Off Tackle run play in that formation is my homerun running play and is normally good for at least 5 yards every time.

In the same formation the FL Drive is a great pass play against man to man and will go for at least 20 yards every time if you throw it to the primary receiver. Just make sure your WR is faster than the DB covering him and wait for him to pass the middle of the field before you pass it to him.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #13
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Well if its been awhile since you played Madden, learning what plays you like on both sides of the ball is best done on the lowest difficulty setting and just learning how to control the game and do what you want it to do.

I normally am the Broncos and I normally try to get a running game up and go on as many plays as I can get in drive. This actually does tire out the defensive line but I have never figured out why its never cumulative. If I go on a 15 play drive, run 10 of those plays, the d line is all red and subs get brought in. If I force a three and out the next series or get a turnover, all the starters are back in the green. Wierd glitch.

Rant aside, I favor I formation or at least 2 TE's when I go into singleback sets. Sometimes 3 wides in the I. In Madden 09 the Broncos playaction passing game is pretty good, but I get caught way too often by the guy Sheff or Harris was supposed to block...Defensively it really depends on the QB I am playing. If its a "smart" QB like Manning or Brady, I rarely blitz and mix up my coverages and kind of get used to the idea that I wont get to them very much. If I am playing "rocket" arm QBs I blitz the **** out of them because my corners are usually better than the WR's they have. Lots of movement with my LB's and defensive line to stop the run.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #14
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

GANGNAM STYLE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Somebody above said they don't use the Broncos online... I do, and have a great record with them. IMO the only thing in this game that counts is speed. Everything else is scheme and play calling. Any team can beat any other team with the right play calling.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #15
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Audibles should be something you should learn in this game.

I read the manual and a walk-through online, it helps to study up a little.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #16
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

A few things that work WELL:

1. Off tackle runs with a fast RB. If you make sure and not overrun the blocking you can gain tons of yards like this.

2. Short hook routes and ins. These work against any coverage, the short hook won't be disrupted by zone or man and even jamming at the line can usually be dealt with, the ins are good since in man you just have to hit the pass right after the player breaks inside and in zone just let him run a little after he breaks so he gets between the LB and CB zones.

3. Man 2 and cover 1 defense: really simple, but it works, make sure you use the feature to put extra attention on the opponents best offensive player RB/WR.

4. CB blitzes. If you blitz a CB on defense, shift the line towards the side the CB is coming from or spread out the defensive line, then take control of the DE on that side and run straight ahead instead of at the QB, that will take the tackle out of the play and the CB will come in and get a sack.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:07 AM   #17
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

I was actually just trying to find info on XBox 360 Madden 10 elsewhere when I stumbled upon this.

What's up with franchise mode? I played a season and a half of it on Madden 06 and am shocked that Madden 10's franchise mode seems really watered down to me comparatively. No preseason position battles? No feedback from players when you try to trade them? No messages from players agents or the owner?

I just played through the preseason and two games and no one in the whole league has any trades on the table. Anyone know roughly how often players typically progress and where to see that? I've had a really hard time finding any solid information on this stuff. It just feels like I'm playing a bunch of exhibition games.
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:34 AM   #18
BabyTO
Perennial Pro-bowler

^ Winner

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Timmy

Dude you just got the game and you wonder why you suck?

Play about 10-20 games and then you'll figure stuff out, when to throw and what plays to call and how to create turnovers on defense. Its really not that hard.

But try to focus on running the ball, it works mostly. If not then you gotta throw but don't throw any deep balls, they're useless in madden 10. Plus the safeties will always come up with the INT. Throw short passes, screens and slants. Basically what the Broncos are doing.

On defense use the strong safety. It takes time but once you got it down you can get some user picks in the passing game by reading the routes or just looking at which receivers are open. But like i said that takes time. And you can stop the running game with those big hits. Make sure when you tackle you use the right stick, another way for you to create turnovers (fumbles).
BabyTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:43 AM   #19
BabyTO
Perennial Pro-bowler

^ Winner

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaximines View Post
I was actually just trying to find info on XBox 360 Madden 10 elsewhere when I stumbled upon this.

What's up with franchise mode? I played a season and a half of it on Madden 06 and am shocked that Madden 10's franchise mode seems really watered down to me comparatively. No preseason position battles? No feedback from players when you try to trade them? No messages from players agents or the owner?

I just played through the preseason and two games and no one in the whole league has any trades on the table. Anyone know roughly how often players typically progress and where to see that? I've had a really hard time finding any solid information on this stuff. It just feels like I'm playing a bunch of exhibition games.
All those "features" sucked. Just like that stalker Terrell Davis with his stupid phone calls. "Oh i heard you had a big game, i'm impressed!!!"
Like anyone gives a **** about him. All that stuff was annoying. Same goes for the emails. You can read them the first time you play the game in order to figure out what theyre saying. But it gets repetitive after 2 weeks. Its the same **** over and over again. No useful information. They kept sending me emails to let me know what the standings are or what play won player of the week. Who cares? Then there was this gay stalker that sent you gay gifts after every game. Like paintings or he would work on your website.

Im glad they took all this **** out. They put no effort in any of that stuff. It was just flat out annoying.
BabyTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:49 AM   #20
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Crossing routes and screen work really well with who the Broncos have. Just like in real life, just get the ball in Marshall's hands with quick passes and let him do his thing.

If you call a running play and see that the defense has stacked the LOS and you don't have enough blockers, audible out of it. Similarly, if you call a pass play and your opponent has a lot of DB's in and not many people in the box, audible to a running play to get some easy yards.
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:05 AM   #21
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
run the ball, and dont be afraid to run screens, they work great most of the time.
how dare you suggest we run a ****ing bubbble screens!!!111
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #22
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

Thanks!
Are you still on X-box or PS3?

They made it harder to throw a deep post or Streak route to a fast WR and Running is a little harder but once you find a formation that works you can still run. Takes some practice but once you have your package you can still dominate.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #23
Ramathorn
Perennial Pro-bowler

M E O W

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis Dumervil

Anybody have a ps3 that is playing COD moder warfare 2? If so, what is your ps3 user name? mine is ELVIS92.
Ramathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #24
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramathorn View Post
Anybody have a ps3 that is playing COD moder warfare 2? If so, what is your ps3 user name? mine is ELVIS92.
pm 80smith, I think he plays that online
Old 12-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #25
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

The one thing that still bothers me about the 360 is that you just don't seem to have that tight control over anything. Everything seems to have just a bit of delay to it. The old Xbox was not like that at all. It was extremely responsive. Madden 06 was the last great madden game, at least for playing online. The physics of the playing field were consistent, and it was your execution vs. the opponents execution with very limited variation. Now, it seems like any newb can beat anyone with the right amount of luck.

Before they make a new system, they need to fix the lag. I'm not just talking about online, either. It's the console itself. When I press a button, i expect immediate response .... oh well.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote