The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Shahanan went 8-8 1st year as Bronco coach and he even had Elway

Plus, Phillips' teams went 9-7 and 8-8, so Shahanan hardly improved the record of the team that first year.

Let's get to reality. The bozos calling for McDaniels' head are mostly the ones who called for it last summer, all the while predicting 4 wins and Orton leading the NFL in interceptions and things like that. Little did they know their boy hero Cutler would be the one doing that.

Shanahan also inherited a bad defense, as did McDaniels, but an offense that had been improving with Fassell as the OC under Phillips. But the Broncos had to win their last game at Oakland to just finish at 8-8 in Shahanan's first season. Were people calling for his head? Not that I remember.

It would help if someone people started thinking with their heads.

Oh no, Orton can't throw and has a weak arm. Yeah, and Drew Brees has a cannon doesn't he. Please, like that is the most important thing in a QB. For an amateur, unemployed scout I guess it would.

Ph no, Alphonso Smith can't play. Yeah, rookie CB's who get sporadic playing time all year struggle. What a newsflash, that's just never happens. Give up on a guy already. Pathetic!

Oh, give Hillis more carries. Yeah, a guy who does good remembering what day of the week it is. Whatever. Would be a nice weapon to have at FB if he can remember what he's supposed to do.

You want o-line improvement, finally get rid of Dennison. Never been a fan of his, going back to his days as special teams coach and the lousy job he did there.

The DL needs more help, that's very clear. If not going to get to the QB very often, then at least need to be stout run stuffers.

This team obviously needs more talent, but since Shahanan got more than a year(and he even had previous head coaching experience) then how about giving McDaniels more time as well. I know the irrational types won't since have been disgustingly reveling in every defeat this season, but I'd like to think there are more rational, level-headed people around who can think and have watched the game enough to know the deal.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Had the internet been as prevalent back then...
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

We should have fired him.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

The problem is that McDaniels inherited a team on the way up, not the way down. I know that some people will probably balk at this, but just as many will agree with it.

Bowlen did McDaniels no favors with the way he split with Shanahan. We were in year two of a rebuild, and the common belief among Broncos fans was "all we need to do is plug a defense onto this offense, and we'll be contenders."
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

For what it's worth, I think it would be stupid to fire McDaniels right now. And I think people who start threads like this are addressing probably less than 5% of fans who think this would be a good idea. This thread is just as silly, IMO, as one calling for McDaniel's head at this point.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
The problem is that McDaniels inherited a team on the way up, not the way down. I know that some people will probably balk at this, but just as many will agree with it.

Bowlen did McDaniels no favors with the way he split with Shanahan. We were in year two of a rebuild, and the common belief among Broncos fans was "all we need to do is plug a defense onto this offense, and we'll be contenders."
On the way up? I'd say, at best, we were treading water.

Our defense was not going to get better with Slowick at the helm, and with all that dead weight on that side of the ball. It just wasn't going to happen. And with Shanahan's insistence that he build the offense and ignore the defense, and his propensity for boneheaded drafting on the defensive side of the ball, movin' on up wasn't actually on the agenda.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Did you see any improvement in this team?..I don't see anything..
Mcd's playcalling is horrible since bye week.
We won 2 out of 8 games and might miss playoff's again..
We lost to Frye, Jruss and Tom cable.
I would be OK with loses if atleast there is some improvement..
Mcd keeps calling ****ty plays like QB draw.

I am really frustrated with the way we always choke.
Look at Titans..atleast they look forward to next year.
i don't see any positives as we keep regressing.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post

You should definitely cry about it.

Can't read the title of the thread, huh? Shanahan followed Fatboy Phillips' 8-8 season with his own 8-8 season. Building a team takes time, and if we were just going to do the same thing over and over again, we wouldn't have fired Shanahan.

You don't see ANY positives? Good god, Chicken Little. The sky ain't falling.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

First of all, our team wasn't on the way up,, we were stagnant, level, no movement. McDaniels shook this team up and re-built it in just one off season and still has produced at minimum a 500 season. Pretty impressive considering. Usually re-building teams finish the season well under that 500 mark. Has he made mistakes? absolutely, but he's a rookie coach.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:

Shanahan lost to Tom Cable and Russell in Denver, too. But I'm sure you have a good excuse for him.....
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #11
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Sure there have been questionable play calls, but the funny thing about play calling is that if plays are executed correctly and work they're good calls, and when they aren't and don't they're called bad calls.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
On the way up? I'd say, at best, we were treading water.
I think we were treading water on defense for those two seasons. But we had our offense set, and the pendulum was swinging towards the defense.

I think we were heading into year three of a 5 year run cycle. My tantrum towards Bowlen was my belief that he reset the clock back to year zero. I believe we had a Superbowl calibre offense in the making, and that with the right defensive personnel, could have quickly put together a defense to compliment it.

But you have your opinion, and I have mine. I doubt either of us will change the other's mind. We believe what we believe about where the team was headed and that's that.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
We were in year two of a rebuild, and the common belief among Broncos fans was "all we need to do is plug a defense onto this offense, and we'll be contenders."
Yes, cos just magically assembling a defense from nowhere is easy.

We had:

- A promising, yet very erratic, young offense.

- One of the worst defenses the league has ever seen.

- A poor ST's unit.

You make it sound like Shanahan actually had this team going somewhere other than towards another Slowik-driven season of failure.

We're closer to being a contender now than we were this time last year, and it's not even that close.

McDaniels still has plenty to improve on, but how anyone can look at his first year here as a whole as anything but encouraging is beyond me.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #14
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post
Yes, cos just magically assembling a defense from nowhere is easy.

If what Nolan has done in one season is any indication, it seems that it can be done.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #15
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
Shanahan lost to Tom Cable and Russell in Denver, too. But I'm sure you have a good excuse for him.....
No excuses..Glad Shanny and Cutler are gone..
I loved when Bowlen fired Shanny as we keep losing games to inferior teams(SF,BUF,OAK).

Regarding cutler, he sucks and has no brain.

I want the new coach to break the tradition of losing games to inferior teams(especially in Nov/Dec when we are trying for a playoff spot).

Unfortunately, nothing has changed.
That's the reason some of the experts didn't believe us even when we started 6-0 and i don't blame them.

I want this losing tradition to go..it's really frustrating when we start fast and fade in the end.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #16
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post
McDaniels still has plenty to improve on, but how anyone can look at his first year here as a whole as anything but encouraging is beyond me.

I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone could look at dropping 6 of our last 8 games and being boggled that people are holding their heads in disbelief over the offense we threw down the pipes (and seem to continue to want to with the disbandment of the offensive line scheme that produced thousand yard back after thousand yard back for over a decade).

We dropped 6 of our last 8 games, and both our offense and our defense is struggling right now. There's plenty to be encouraged about. But there's also plenty to be concerned about. Just like last year. That's how it works when your team is a .500 team. Plenty of positive and negative to focus on.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #17
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
If what Nolan has done in one season is any indication, it seems that it can be done.
The problem is shanny is not ready to fire slowik and i am glad shanny is fired.
One playoff win in 10 years is not acceptable.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #18
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Not with Slowik in charge.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #19
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Except that Shanny was going to stick with his boyfriend Slowik.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #20
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I just have to laugh at the hypocrisy of people taking offense to McDaniels being criticized in his first season while they're still hammering nails into Slowiks wrists for the job he did in his first season - while at the same time bad mouthing the talent that he had to work with.

There's no argument that I can use to address this level of hypocrisy. People will believe what they will believe and only be fair to the point that they want to be.

Which drives to my point: people are going to believe what they want to believe about where our last 8-8 team was headed, and where the current (seeming) 8-8 team is headed. I'd like to think that we're on our way up. But our offense has a long ways to go to be a playoff calibre offense.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #21
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I think people calling for McDaniels to be fired are foolish. This is only his first year, he should probably be given three unless there are more controversial outbreaks which impede his ability to help this team improve.

I think what people are saying or asking, is that we're 2-6 over our last 8, trending our way out of the playoffs, they want him to pull his head out of his ass with some of the ridiculous playcalling and biasness when making personnel decisions.

If Hillis shouldn't be playing, carefully let us know why. If he's constantly late, doesn't show the ability to hold information like the playbook (all speculation by the way), just say that and we'll get off his back.

I think those spending thousands of dollars on tickets to games, season tickets, planefare and apparel deserve to understand what's going on with this team.

You all say "Well Shanahan was arrogant, he didn't have to answer about players, why should McD?". Well that's absurd to start off with. While vague with his answers, Shanahan would shoot straight about players. I remember Chris Howard when he was a rookie here, and how impressive he was but he couldn't hold the ball. When he got in the doghouse Mike was asked about how come he wasn't playing and he said straight up, "he can't hold the football, and until he can, he's not playing." I think he was cut that offseason.

Man up McD, why is Hillis not playing? The question needs to be asked and if McD was a man, and more than just a Napoleanic tyrant running his first show, he would spill the beans.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #22
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
I just have to laugh at the hypocrisy of people taking offense to McDaniels being criticized in his first season while they're still hammering nails into Slowiks wrists for the job he did in his first season - while at the same time bad mouthing the talent that he had to work with.

There's no argument that I can use to address this level of hypocrisy. People will believe what they will believe and only be fair to the point that they want to be.
Because there is no hypocrisy in it. Slowik actually ran the defense from week 6 or so of 2007 and managed to make the 2008 defense all that much worse. He's also been a failure EVERYWHERE he's been.

There is no comparison to him and McDaniels.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #23
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:

GREAT POINT! Don't point out hypocrisy to these folks though, it will get them madder than a hornets nest!

McD's status as a offensive guru is more of a failure to me, within what our offense was, vs. Slowik's defensive failure last year.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #24
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
Because there is no hypocrisy in it. Slowik actually ran the defense from week 6 or so of 2007 and managed to make the 2008 defense all that much worse. He's also been a failure EVERYWHERE he's been.

There is no comparison to him and McDaniels.
Sure there is... neither have won super bowls as a coordinator or head coach.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #25
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Sure there is... neither have won super bowls as a coordinator or head coach.
That's it? That's the best link you can find between the two of them?

Sad.