The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Some Interesting Stats about Philly

With the Oakland sting still fresh in my craw, I'm reminded that we still have an outside shot at the playoffs. Or inside, depending on your perspective. Nonetheless, we need to win two games to do it. So I went to work to learn more about our upcoming opponent. And our guys have got their work cut out for them.

Currently, the Eagles are one of the four hottest teams in the league right now. They are in the middle of a 5 game win streak that has looked something like this:

Philadelphia 24
Chicago 20

Washington 24
Philadelphia 27

Philadelphia 34
Atlanta 7

Philadelphia 45
NY Giants 38

San Francisco 13
Philadelphia 27

They are currently ranked second in the league in points per game average with 28.5. (By comparison, Denver is 19.6). On the other side of the ball, however, they're ranked 14th, giving up 20.4 points per game (Denver, by comparison, is ranked 6th at 17.9 points per game). From a very broad perspective, these averages indicate that this game is winnable - though it will be a battle. Defense will have to hold up, if not score.

Statistically, these guys are very similar to the Colts. In fact, they've scored more points than the Colts have, and have done it in 13 fewer plays. The Eagles offense has been remarkable in that aspect. They are among the bottom of the league in number of plays from scrimmage, but rank #2 (behind the Saints) in points scored.

Suprisingly though, a weakness that they have are penalties. The Eagles rank 3rd in the league in offensive penalties committed at 100 for 830 yards (which is 20 more than the Broncos have). Unfortunately for us, however, their defense isn't quite so generous. They rank at the bottom of the league, along with the Broncos, in defensive penalties committed.

The Eagles are second in the league in turnover ratio being at +17 in their favor (the Broncos are +6 by comparison).

In looking through the stats for a weakness trend I discovered that the Eagles are poor at TOP. This is likely a function of them being good at scoring though - but it's at least something to work with. The Eagles rank at the bottom of the league at TOP, and first downs per game. In fact, we rank just barely ahead of them in first downs per game (18.8 vs. 18.4 per game). They are NOT a 3rd down team. They convert only 37 percent on third downs (18th in the league). Unfortunately for our offense, we rank lower with a 36% conversion percentage. The good news, however is that Philadelphia's defense is the absolute WORST in the league at stopping the third down conversion. They stop the third down conversion only 33 percent of the time.

Strength Against Strength
An interesting match-up to watch this weekend will be their passing attack vs. our passing defense. They are a top 10 team in passing yards per game, with 257.8 ypg. The Broncos defense is ranked #2 in passing defense yards per game, allowing an average of only 177 ypg. This stat trend combined with the third down stat is a real ray of hope for the Broncos.

To add to that, the Eagles rushing attack is underpowered (a big part of their third down problems). The Eagles are a passing team. They are bottom 6 in rushing attempts per game. They are near the top third in passing attempts per game.

And the scary stat: Big plays
The Eagles lead the league in 40+ yard passing plays from the LOS with 20. You can do the math on that over a 16 game season. They burn everybody with big plays. In fact, they have 5 more 40+ yard plays than the next team down. Explosive. They are top 10 in the league in 20+ yard plays, with 54 of them. These guys like to pass for big chunks of yardage. But to go back to the strength meets strength theme, our defense has given up only 1 single passing play over 40+ yards. Unfortunately, however, we are at the bottom third of the league in passing plays over 20 yards (we've given up 11).

The other scary thing to note is that while the Eagles aren't great on third downs, this problem doesn't seem to apply to the red zone. They seem to manage to spread the ball around, and get the ball into the endzone in many nifty ways, with 6-4 TE phenom Brent Celek being a centerpiece.

They're a very versatile team who has a third down glass jaw. If we can keep their passing game in check and force them to retire the downs, we could come away from Philly smelling like roses and with the momentum we need to thump Kansas City at home and roll into a playoff game pumped up and ready to rumble.

Here we go Broncos!

Last edited by Taco John; 12-22-2009 at 12:26 AM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Big plays, huh? Well, I'm going out on a limb and say that Nolan plays "safe" defense, again. The time to be aggressive was last week against the Raiders, not against Donovan McNabb and (possibly) Michael Vick..
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
Popps
It's so easy

Holy crap, Taco.

That was actually an interesting read.

Everything O.K., man?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Holy crap, Taco.

That was actually an interesting read.

Everything O.K., man?

I look at this stuff for every game, but am not able to write about it as much with all my job responsibilities. However, in December things really slow down for a period and I get a chance to do the sort of stuff I used to be able to do more regularly.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I look at this stuff for every game, but am not able to write about it as much with all my job responsibilities. However, in December things really slow down for a period and I get a chance to do the sort of stuff I used to be able to do more regularly.
More of this and less nonsense, please.

I'll be honest, this game scares me to death on paper. But, someone mentioned recently that we seem to pull out our best defensive games in situations like this. Given, we started poorly in Indy, but we came to life after that.

That's what I'm hanging hope upon... the notion that if we can stay in a tight game with Manning and Co., we can find a way to win in Philly. There will certainly be no lack of incentive for us.

We've got to look at what we did against the Giants and figure out how, why and how we can duplicate that game plan.

5 ****ing days to wait.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:56 AM   #6
Popps
It's so easy

Watching the Philly highlights on NFLN right now. Their O-line looks big and nasty.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:31 AM   #7
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

this kid has like 7 50 yard plays this year...

Last edited by watermock; 12-22-2009 at 01:39 AM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:42 AM   #8
RonDaChamp24
Twitter.com/RonGreco

The Champ is here

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Thomas

Their 5 game win streak doesn't impress me all that much. Only 1 team that they beat has a winning record and we demolished that same team (Giants). We won 6 games at the beginning of the season an against much tougher opponents than the Eagles have. I'm not saying this is a guaranteed win or that it will be easy, but things sure look better for us after looking at this. I know 1 thing. We need to pressure DNabb like we did in the 05 game. If we can pressure him we can win. If not, it may be a long day as they have a good TE and 2 blazing fast WR in Maclin and Jackson. I'm hyped for this game. I hope/think we will win but it may be very very close.
RonDaChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:02 AM   #9
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Field vision and speed is a dangerous combo.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:27 AM   #10
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

The pressure is going to be on Orton big time as Philly will be willing to play man up and blitz up the A-Gaps. Orton and the offense is going to need to step up big time to
win this game.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:48 AM   #11
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
The pressure is going to be on Orton big time as Philly will be willing to play man up and blitz up the A-Gaps. Orton and the offense is going to need to step up big time to
win this game.
Sounds like a good time to bust out the Wild Rhino offense.

Nothing but straight snaps to Clady all game long:

Old 12-22-2009, 03:08 AM   #12
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Maclin and Jackson are our equals (overall we are equal) and they have a QB who can sling it.

We win this game, I'm sold.

Then they got the dog too.

Definetly a darkhorse for the SB IMO.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:56 AM   #13
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Like I said yesterday, the Eagles are all about turnovers and big plays. If they don't get them they struggle. As indicated by their record they've been getting them more often than not.

Their D-line is good, particularly Trent Cole. Their linebackers aren't very good. Good corners, mediocre safties. Overall the D is good but can be beat.

On O, they don't run the ball very well but have finally started using FB Weaver effectively mixed in with McCoy who can be explosive. Celek is a pretty good TE. WR's are average at best after DeSean Jackson. McNabb is like a more mobile Roethlisberger when it comes to improvisation and difficulty in bringing down. He often makes plays after you think you have them stopped. Overall their O is very good and is going to give us problems.

On ST's you kick to DeSean Jackson at your own peril.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:07 AM   #14
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

i wish i could see a way to win this game, but i can't. just like INDY. we're playing a team that's experienced in big games playing to get a 1st round bye. McNabb would need to be TERRIBLE with multiple turnovers and Orton would need to be perfect with long drives that end in TDs and McD would need to call the game of his life. i don't see it happening. if somebody owes McD or Orton a miracle, now would be the time to cash it in.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:12 AM   #15
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
i wish i could see a way to win this game, but i can't.
Agree. We'd need to play the way we did early in the year, or against the Giants, and the Eagles would have to make some mistakes for us to win this game on the road. Can happen but not likely. Hard to be too optimistic the way we've looked against a team this good on the road. Let's hope the Eagles are due for a loss because they've won 5 straight now.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:32 AM   #16
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Agree. We'd need to play the way we did early in the year, or against the Giants, and the Eagles would have to make some mistakes for us to win this game on the road. Can happen but not likely. Hard to be too optimistic the way we've looked against a team this good on the road. Let's hope the Eagles are due for a loss because they've won 5 straight now.
if we'd have had the PIT and PHI games switched on the schedule, i think we could have won both. early this year, PHI was beatable. and late this year, PIT has definitely been beatable. we just happened to get these 2 teams in the wrong order. d'oh!
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:20 AM   #17
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Here's some Broncos stats you might like

Total Yards: 17th
3rd Down Conversion: 22nd
4th Down Conversion: 30th
Scoring: 20th
Red Zone Scoring: 29th
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #18
Popps
It's so easy

Chicago, New York and Washington played them within a few points.

We bring the game we brought against NY, and we'll win this game.

Any word on Buck? Is he out for sure? It's funny all of the noise we hear about Hillis... because Buck is the guy we needed
against Oakland. Dude is crucial to our offense.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #19
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Chicago, New York and Washington played them within a few points.

We bring the game we brought against NY, and we'll win this game.

Any word on Buck? Is he out for sure? It's funny all of the noise we hear about Hillis... because Buck is the guy we needed
against Oakland. Dude is crucial to our offense.
After missing Sunday's game because of an ankle injury, running back Correll Buckhalter said he will play this weekend against Philadelphia, his former team ...

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t...%2Fci_14045441
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #20
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Very difficult game to win..PHI will play hard as they are looking for first round bye..
I saw few eagles games..Jackson scares me and they throw to TE a lot(which we always have difficulty to cover).
They could have won against SD.they lost due to horrible playcalling in Red Zone by Reid.
They are also not Denver Broncos who keeps losing to inferior teams in Nov or Dec.

They are like SD.they start slow and finish strong.
It's not a good time to play against them.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #21
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post

Good lord.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #22
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:

3rd Down Conversion: 22nd and Red Zone Scoring : 20th..WOW

I am actually suprised we won 8 games with these statistics..

Mcd..Please start Hillis..if you want to cut..do it in offseason..

I want this team to be playoff's this year and i believe hillis will solve the short yardage problems.

DO IT MCD..for fan's sake.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #23
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

Quote:

I hate to say it, but this is one case where the states actually reflect reality. All those third and longs that we have no hope of converting on the ground or through the air have killed us.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #24
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

Gentlemen, do not worry, I have an idea...... Laser Pointer? just kidding.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #25
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
The Eagles are second in the league in turnover ratio being at +17 in their favor
ugh.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote