The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Default Top 5/10 draft picks can be a bad thing...just ask KC, CLE, etc...

I was reading an interesting article at the airport today ( I think it was in a sporting news magazine).

Basically they were saying that KC and CLE, DET, (there was one other team too) are actually hurting by getting the top picks in the draft year in year out.

Rookie contracts are out of this world. Top 5 picks are the highest paid players on the team. And in a world of salary caps......picking that high a few years in a row will kill ANY team.

this year the salary cap is 128 mil.

rookies are making 12 mil/year on their contracts now. if you pick in the top spots 4-5 years in a row......thats almost half your teams salary on those 5 players.

so bascially in summary they say once you get into that trap........ theres no easy way out........because you dont have the money to put in quality players around the 5 high priced rookies.

So looks like kc is gonna suck for years to come!
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Maybe this is the reason why so many here were pissed we traded our 1 pick to seattle instead of Chicago's now very high pick.

Hopefully we can find someone to trade down with.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Maybe this is the reason why so many here were pissed we traded our 1 pick to seattle instead of Chicago's now very high pick.

Hopefully we can find someone to trade down with.
lol well i do think thats why cleveland traded down 3 times before they finally picked this year........its the only way to get out of it.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Paladin
Ring of Famer

I agree with the tactic of trading down. It does hopefully lead to more picks that are still faily high (first day picks), but allows for the selection of the sort of players the team needs. For example, there are only a few Oline men worth a top 10 pick and we have seen over the years a few of those bust out. There are only a few Dlinemen worthy of a top ten pick, but it is my impressoin that more of those "pan out" than the Olinmen.

This year, I think the Broncso need Olinemen and Dlinemen, an LB and a returner, maybe a punter.... Most of those do not need to be top ten picks.

If the Broncos were take a "skill" player with the Chicago pick (QB, for instance), the next pick would be somewhere in the 40's or fifties. That pick would be a bit low to get the better G ro C or DE or such. So, that is the reason I am in favor of trading down and not drafting a QB with the Chicago pick which I reckon to be somewhere between the fifth and the 10th pick at this time, depending on how the ties get resolved....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I agree with the tactic of trading down. It does hopefully lead to more picks that are still faily high (first day picks), but allows for the selection of the sort of players the team needs. For example, there are only a few Oline men worth a top 10 pick and we have seen over the years a few of those bust out. There are only a few Dlinemen worthy of a top ten pick, but it is my impressoin that more of those "pan out" than the Olinmen.

This year, I think the Broncso need Olinemen and Dlinemen, an LB and a returner, maybe a punter.... Most of those do not need to be top ten picks.

If the Broncos were take a "skill" player with the Chicago pick (QB, for instance), the next pick would be somewhere in the 40's or fifties. That pick would be a bit low to get the better G ro C or DE or such. So, that is the reason I am in favor of trading down and not drafting a QB with the Chicago pick which I reckon to be somewhere between the fifth and the 10th pick at this time, depending on how the ties get resolved....
for us i totally agree......... for these other teams........... if they trade down......... the fans get pissed..........and their fan bases are already hanging on by a thread. So it gets a little messy there, especailly if there is a "big name" player availiable.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:41 AM   #6
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

They're only a problem if you **** up and pick bad players so conistently.

I doubt the Falcons are too upset about that #3 overall they had to spend on Ryan a few years back for instance.

High picks are a great opportunity to find elite players for your team. We better not **** it up.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote