The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Default O-Line Opinion....

After the Denver Broncos lost the most embarrassing game of the season to the Oakland Raiders at home on Sunday, I realized the team's biggest flaw was the interior of the offensive line...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...cos-nfl-draft-
player-profile-idaho-g-mike-iupati

Now this was not new news, as many Bronco fans have already pointed out that Denver's true weaknesses offensively have a lot to do with lack of experience in the system and a totally non-existent interior offensive line.

Led by veterans Casey Wiegmann and Russ Hochstein, the interior of Denver's line has a ton of experience. What they boast in the experience category is outweighed immensely by their inability to help the Broncos' offense move the ball on a consistent basis, especially in short yardage situations.

Denver was unable to run the ball against Oakland, and it is not the first time they have been shut down on the ground this season. Knowshon Moreno looked absolutely lost when running the ball on Sunday, and Kyle Orton was sacked three times.

The solution to these woes?

Denver must draft Idaho guard Mike Iupati at any cost and actually, the guy could turn out to be quite the bargain.

Iupati stands at 6'5" and roughly 330 pounds. He is a mammoth on the interior line and he plays with a mean streak. For the second straight season, he was named first team All-WAC, and was selected as a first team Walter Camp All-American for the Vandals. Not to mention he was also one of three finalists for the Outland Trophy, given to the nation's top interior lineman.

The Broncos' first round pick is going to turn out to be a very high one, as Jay Cutler and the Chicago Bears currently project to send Denver the seventh pick in the 2010 NFL draft as the final piece to the blockbuster trade that occurred this past offseason.

Obviously, Denver is not going to go after Iupati that early in the first round. What appears to be the best option is to trade down with anyone who is willing, and take Iupati later in the first round if they can. The only problem is going to be finding a suitor for that pick.

The Broncos do not need to trade down, as their top pick could turn out to be an elite level player like Rolando McClain or dare I sayŚNdamukong Suh.

Either way, the Broncos' interior offensive line is absolutely dreadful, and picking up Iupati would be a step in the right direction. Denver has lost whatever edge it had offensively, and they are failing to cash in from inside the 20.

I have been all about bringing in Seth Olsen in the past, and I think that is a route the Broncos definitely will explore. If Olsen can transition to center, and Iupati can be brought in to start at left guard, the Broncos will dance with joy.

Speaking of interior linemen, how about the performance of Denver's run defense on Sunday? Another pitiful output. The Oakland Raiders racked up nearly 250 total rushing yards against Denver, a number that is utterly unacceptable.

One player who may be able to stop that bleeding is Alabama defensive tackle Terrence Cody, who is an absolute space vacuum in the middle of the defensive line. Cody demands two blockers on every play, and would give the Broncos a huge weapon defensively.

These are two players I have not been so high on early in the draft scouting process, but I think they are two players the Broncos need to look at acquiring come draft day, and they need to look hard.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

I'm not as high on Orton as I was just a few weeks ago but I say sign him to a modest contract and draft line men O & D linemen as the best route to improvement.

Nice article Popps..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Thought it was a good read. Only part I'm not sure about is whether or not to blame the run D problems on the D-line. I haven't had the guts to watch the Tivo yet. But, any time you have three runs that take a team 90 yards, there are problems behind those three guys with their hand on the ground.

I seem to recall the big runs being to the weak side. Those were inexcusable after pinning a team down there on their goal line like that.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Good read. If they could somehow finagle two picks in the middle of the first and end up with Cody and Iupati or an equivalently awesome interior linemen (are there any top notch centers?) that would go a huge way towards fixing our two biggest problems.

Not sure about this Seth Olsen at center business though.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Thought it was a good read. Only part I'm not sure about is whether or not to blame the run D problems on the D-line. I haven't had the guts to watch the Tivo yet. But, any time you have three runs that take a team 90 yards, there are problems behind those three guys with their hand on the ground.

I seem to recall the big runs being to the weak side. Those were inexcusable after pinning a team down there on their goal line like that.
This was discussed quite a bit today throughout Denver. This biggest issue was not matching Ayers, Doom, or Haggan up over the TE. They played the exact same defense almost the entire game and never moved an OLB over the TE to take away the "J" block they were using to seal Dawkins off. One simple move would have forced the TE to block head up rather than instant 2nd level. The game plan has been described as Vanilla and not wanting to show too much. Why at this point are they concerned with what they may or may not show?
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:37 PM   #6
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
This was discussed quite a bit today throughout Denver. This biggest issue was not matching Ayers, Doom, or Haggan up over the TE. They played the exact same defense almost the entire game and never moved an OLB over the TE to take away the "J" block they were using to seal Dawkins off. One simple move would have forced the TE to block head up rather than instant 2nd level. The game plan has been described as Vanilla and not wanting to show too much. Why at this point are they concerned with what they may or may not show?
Maybe it's "the NE way"
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:47 AM   #7
meangene
Ring of Famer

We clearly need interior OL help but trading back out of the top 10 is becoming more and more difficult because of contract issues. Maybe if someone is real high on Clausen or Bradford. I think we are looking at someone like McClain or Austin, the DT from UNC in terms of value with the first pick. I do think we will have some free agency options on the interior OL or could pick up some players later in the draft as interior offensive linemen are typically undervalued.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:06 AM   #8
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I watched Iupati. He's a good player. Not without his own flaws but very strong, and solid. He isn't the most fleet of foot which strictly makes him a guard and a late 1st round prospect at best. I'm open to taking one of the stronger tackle high in the first round, if they warrant it, have a thick, strong, body with good feet and can play on the inside, and the outside.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:21 AM   #9
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Yeah thats great, the interior is weak so keep running the ball up the middle. Coaching 101 for McDummies.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:25 AM   #10
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Coughlin ran much more innovative schemes 1'st Q monday than we did all day against oakland.

Wasn't even close.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:33 AM   #11
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
We clearly need interior OL help but trading back out of the top 10 is becoming more and more difficult because of contract issues. Maybe if someone is real high on Clausen or Bradford. I think we are looking at someone like McClain or Austin, the DT from UNC in terms of value with the first pick. I do think we will have some free agency options on the interior OL or could pick up some players later in the draft as interior offensive linemen are typically undervalued.
Why wouldn't be we interested in Bradford or Clausen or Cody?

Orton has the pocket presence of a blind armadillo.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:11 AM   #12
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post

You can't convice "Popp-goes-the-Weasel" that Orton shouldn't be the starter next year.

For some reason Poppy just can't quit Orton.

Popps will give up on Orton when Bowlen and McD tells him to do so.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:27 AM   #13
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post

I think Orton has done enough to warrant another season or two to show what he can do with some decent OL play. Besides, Clausen or Bradford would be running into the same OL issues and would command more money simply by virtue of being QB's. Cody is really a late first round prospect who has to be limited in snaps to be effective due to his weight. I would look at him if we are able to trade back though.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:53 AM   #14
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
I think Orton has done enough to warrant another season or two to show what he can do with some decent OL play. Besides, Clausen or Bradford would be running into the same OL issues and would command more money simply by virtue of being QB's. Cody is really a late first round prospect who has to be limited in snaps to be effective due to his weight. I would look at him if we are able to trade back though.
Orton has played good ball this year. Not great, but good. I seriously doubt that McDaniels is thinking about replacing him, especially with a high pick.

I think the first rounder, and possibly the 2nd should be spent on the D-Line. Talented centers and guards can be had in the mid to later rounds.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:59 AM   #15
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

McClain or Gerald McCoy should be the pick if we stay put in round one. No OL coming out that worth it in the top 10 except a couple of OT's, which we don't need.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:08 AM   #16
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Other QBs wouldn't have the same o-line issues. Our line is bad at run blocking, not pass blocking. Our QB makes our line bad at pass blocking. Look at the first sack. He had a perfect pocket and just refused to step into it. He hung out 15 yards behind the line so the tackles had no way to push the ends around him. We have breakdowns, but no more than any other line.

I do agree we need interior o-line but I do not agree with using firsts on that. I also am not sure about the QBs. If McDaniels thinks one is good, I would like to take one. I don't want them to throw away a pick just to draft a QB. We need a lot of stuff so I would just take the best player available at this point. Get an impact player in the top 10.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:29 AM   #17
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
Orton has played good ball this year. Not great, but good. I seriously doubt that McDaniels is thinking about replacing him, especially with a high pick.

I think the first rounder, and possibly the 2nd should be spent on the D-Line. Talented centers and guards can be had in the mid to later rounds.
the problem with Orton is McD's playcalling and very short leash. i think Orton is a team guy and willing to do exactly what the coach says. i think Cutler is not like that and that's probably what McD's initial reaction was when meeting Cutler. if McD would open up the damned playbook and let the offense do more than dink and dunk, i think Orton could be adequate for a couple of years until a better option comes along via the draft or free agency. Orton's strength is not being reckless. his weakness is mobility. otherwise he seems adequate to me. but the playcalling and overall offensive strategy this year has been lacking.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:47 AM   #18
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Please?!
Guys, I saw Orton play enough when he was in Chicago.
He was a mediocre, average QB then, and he's a mediocre, andaverage QB now, and he will be a mediocre and average QB next year, and the year after.
Come on. The guy sucks!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #19
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
Please?!
Guys, I saw Orton play enough when he was in Chicago.
He was a mediocre, average QB then, and he's a mediocre, andaverage QB now, and he will be a mediocre and average QB next year, and the year after.
Come on. The guy sucks!
By definition, you can't be both "mediocre/average" and "suck" at the same time.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #20
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
By definition, you can't be both "mediocre/average" and "suck" at the same time.
Orton can...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:00 AM   #21
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
I guess we could agree in a way. Orton deserves a mid-level contract to hold onto the reigns while a much better pupil learns under him. I don't mind him as a place-holder while we groom a rookie, and definitely don't mind his starting experience eventually as a backup.

So yeah, Orton should be resigned if the financials make success.

I wouldn't be paying this guy anywhere near the 5-8 million per season range though.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:00 AM   #22
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

According to my eyes, the biggest runs were due to missed tackles by Davis and Hagan.
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #23
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
McClain or Gerald McCoy should be the pick if we stay put in round one. No OL coming out that worth it in the top 10 except a couple of OT's, which we don't need.
I watch big 12 football, and I love Gerald mcCoy as a player, but where would you put him in our 3-4 defense? Are you saying you want to spend a top ten pick on a guy, then change his natural position? I loke him, but i'd rather take Cody because he is what he is - a big space eating fatty.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:03 AM   #24
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Logan Mankins was an OT at Fresno, who was picked in the first round by the Patriots and eventually took a starting spot as a guard.

I think this is a legitimate option with some of the OT's on the board, but I do favor a stronger class at the defensive line position. Right now, McCoy (if we're lucky) or Derrick Morgan would be my selection barring Clausen sliding to us potentially.

Last edited by bpc; 12-22-2009 at 07:05 AM..
Old 12-22-2009, 07:04 AM   #25
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
You can't convice "Popp-goes-the-Weasel" that Orton shouldn't be the starter next year.

For some reason Poppy just can't quit Orton.

Popps will give up on Orton when Bowlen and McD tells him to do so.
So you'd rather start a rookie without a single minute of NFL experience over a guy with a career winning record?

And you wonder why people find you moronic.