The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer
 
Nothing lasts forever.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dove Valley
Posts: 5,838

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default Why we NEED to make the playoffs

I'll get the disclaimer out now. I'm see the same games everyone else watches. This team is quite clearly not playing its best football right now. That said, we MUST make the playoffs for the following reasons:

1) Change the attitude and culture around here. Mike Shanahan is gone, no more of this "who cares if we get in if we don't have a realistic chance to win" crap. That's chicken s**t. You play all season to win and get to the playoffs. Making the playoffs is a better season than not. And it's physically impossible to win a Super Bowl if you don't make the playoffs. Even if our chances are 1 in a million as a 9 - 7 wild card, they are better than if we don't qualify.

2) Similar point to the above but you have to show progress. Since 2005 we have done this same crap every year. And every year we make changes (some times significant) with nothing to show for it. If this team can make the playoffs then we have proven that all the turmoil from last off season is a positive step toward getting this franchise on the road to being a challenger again. Drafting Cutler after the year Plummer had was a BOLD move that netted this franchise nothing. Trading away Cutler was another BOLD move, but are we better for it? This team needs validation (even if its only psychological) that its moving in the right direction. Get rid of this "late season swoon" talk.

3) Sundays are better in my house when the Broncos win

4) Who knows what will happen if we do get in? It looks like we'd play NE or Cincy and we've already beaten both those teams. It could happen. This team started 6 - 0, so it's not impossible they could a game or two in the playoffs. Yes I realize it's unlikely, but if you don't get in, you'll never know.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Cleo McDowell
underrated.
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsunday View Post
I'll get the disclaimer out now. I'm see the same games everyone else watches. This team is quite clearly not playing its best football right now. That said, we MUST make the playoffs for the following reasons:

1) Change the attitude and culture around here. Mike Shanahan is gone, no more of this "who cares if we get in if we don't have a realistic chance to win" crap. That's chicken s**t. You play all season to win and get to the playoffs. Making the playoffs is a better season than not. And it's physically impossible to win a Super Bowl if you don't make the playoffs. Even if our chances are 1 in a million as a 9 - 7 wild card, they are better than if we don't qualify.

2) Similar point to the above but you have to show progress. Since 2005 we have done this same crap every year. And every year we make changes (some times significant) with nothing to show for it. If this team can make the playoffs then we have proven that all the turmoil from last off season is a positive step toward getting this franchise on the road to being a challenger again. Drafting Cutler after the year Plummer had was a BOLD move that netted this franchise nothing. Trading away Cutler was another BOLD move, but are we better for it? This team needs validation (even if its only psychological) that its moving in the right direction. Get rid of this "late season swoon" talk.

3) Sundays are better in my house when the Broncos win

4) Who knows what will happen if we do get in? It looks like we'd play NE or Cincy and we've already beaten both those teams. It could happen. This team started 6 - 0, so it's not impossible they could a game or two in the playoffs. Yes I realize it's unlikely, but if you don't get in, you'll never know.

this, +1, roger that, i agree, and every other word for it
Cleo McDowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!
 
SoDak Bronco's Avatar
 
Von Miller aka QB Killa

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,223

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

amen brotha. Heres to two wins in a row, and a spot in the playoffs.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,054

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

10-6 and we clinch..... let's do that
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,638
Default

I'm in.

One week at a time.

Beat. Philly.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
Kid A
Ring of Famer
 
Kid A's Avatar
 
I don't need love. I just need wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,257

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Couldn't agree more. As much as our enthusiasm might be dampened if we sneak it at 9-7 (compared to what seemed possible at 6-0), actually qualifying for the playoffs is vastly preferable to having blown it completely. We're getting dangerously close to "is this team cursed in December?" (ala Dallas) territory, and making the WC would certainly be a step in reversing that kind of mentality.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #7
colonelbeef
Lets be friend
 
colonelbeef's Avatar
 
Elway is the new Jerry West

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,883

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default

Postseason football is 1000X better and more interesting when the Broncos are involved.

You never know what might happen.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 
Get off my lawn, you kids!

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,471

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

At the beginning of the season, I said a successful season would be making the playoffs. We need to make it happen. It's good to see you post again, bloodsunday...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #9
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,999
Default

This team does not deserve to make the playoffs...

We had a fanastic start to the season and have since gone 2-6... like we do every year. When we finally start to beat pathetic teams at home in december (like buffalo last year and the raiders yeaterday) then I'll agree this team needs to make the playoffs.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,989

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Deserve has nothing to do with it. Come bad or good, I'm going to be sitting somewhere watching the playoffs, enjoying some beverages and munchies. How much better will the experience be if I'm watching the Broncos, instead of somebody else?

Mega-difference.




Go Broncos!

Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 21,946

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

I so want to believe! Broncos have some serious issues to address before the Philly game and hopefully they can resolve those issues.

Two game winning streak heading into the post season would be fantastic.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #12
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Deserve has nothing to do with it. Come bad or good, I'm going to be sitting somewhere watching the playoffs, enjoying some beverages and munchies. How much better will the experience be if I'm watching the Broncos, instead of somebody else?

Mega-difference.




Go Broncos!

Sorry, but watching the Broncos get crushed by real playoff teams isn't my idea of a good time.

Like I said, until this team can figure out how to beat crap teams like oakland AT HOME...well... See Jim Mora's speech.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
This team does not deserve to make the playoffs...

We had a fanastic start to the season and have since gone 2-6... like we do every year. When we finally start to beat pathetic teams at home in december (like buffalo last year and the raiders yeaterday) then I'll agree this team needs to make the playoffs.
I don't think Orton was hung over yesterday like Jay in Buffalo........
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,989

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Sorry, but watching the Broncos get crushed by real playoff teams isn't my idea of a good time.

Like I said, until this team can figure out how to beat crap teams like oakland AT HOME...well... See Jim Mora's speech.
Hey, they are who we thought they were.

I don't care. At this point I just want to watch the Broncos in a playoff game. If I'm going to watch the playoffs anyway, I'd prefer watching my own team.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #15
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
I don't think Orton was hung over yesterday like Jay in Buffalo........
First what does that have to do with anything?

But... What the heck, I'll play...

Hungover, diabetic Jay Cutler = Sober, healthy Kyle Orton.

Great.

I feel much better now.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #16
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Got some PMS TheDave? Or are you just a ****ing prick?
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #17
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
Got some PMS TheDave? Or are you just a ****ing prick?
Oh I'm sorry... getting my ass kicked by the pathetic raiders with the playoffs on the line puts me in a bad mood...

Hey, maybe I could be a swell poster like you and wish terminal cancer on people in their rep...

Last edited by TheDave; 12-21-2009 at 09:35 AM..
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #18
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
First what does that have to do with anything?

But... What the heck, I'll play...

Hungover, diabetic Jay Cutler = Sober, healthy Kyle Orton.

Great.

I feel much better now.
one of the reasons Cutler played so poorly that game was because he was "supposedly" hung over badly....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #19
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer
 
Cool Breeze's Avatar
 
Broncos Rock!

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: south of town
Posts: 1,222
Default

We'll win
Philly first
Brian Dawkins goes back home and reminds Philly they made a mistake!
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #20
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer
 
Nothing lasts forever.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dove Valley
Posts: 5,838

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Sorry, but watching the Broncos get crushed by real playoff teams isn't my idea of a good time.
Dude, you have to choose. It's not always about having a good time. You have to endure bad times in between the good times. That's part of being and NFL fan, and really life in general.

Your team currently has two scenarios in front of them:
1) choke away the playoffs for a fourth consecutive year and endure another painful off season
2) find a way (any way) to get in and take your chances -- even though you may get crushed

So you have to choose. Which would you rather? Don't play this chicken s**t they don't have a chance crap. If you would rather #2, then I submit you aren't a real fan.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #21
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer
 
Nothing lasts forever.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dove Valley
Posts: 5,838

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Oh I'm sorry... getting my ass kicked by the pathetic raiders with the playoffs on the line puts me in a bad mood...

Hey, maybe I could be a swell poster like you and wish terminal cancer on people in their rep...
Another successful hi-jack of a meaningful thread to real Bronco fans.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #22
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13,749

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsunday View Post
I'll get the disclaimer out now. I'm see the same games everyone else watches. This team is quite clearly not playing its best football right now. That said, we MUST make the playoffs for the following reasons:

1) Change the attitude and culture around here. Mike Shanahan is gone, no more of this "who cares if we get in if we don't have a realistic chance to win" crap. That's chicken s**t. You play all season to win and get to the playoffs. Making the playoffs is a better season than not. And it's physically impossible to win a Super Bowl if you don't make the playoffs. Even if our chances are 1 in a million as a 9 - 7 wild card, they are better than if we don't qualify.

2) Similar point to the above but you have to show progress. Since 2005 we have done this same crap every year. And every year we make changes (some times significant) with nothing to show for it. If this team can make the playoffs then we have proven that all the turmoil from last off season is a positive step toward getting this franchise on the road to being a challenger again. Drafting Cutler after the year Plummer had was a BOLD move that netted this franchise nothing. Trading away Cutler was another BOLD move, but are we better for it? This team needs validation (even if its only psychological) that its moving in the right direction. Get rid of this "late season swoon" talk.

3) Sundays are better in my house when the Broncos win

4) Who knows what will happen if we do get in? It looks like we'd play NE or Cincy and we've already beaten both those teams. It could happen. This team started 6 - 0, so it's not impossible they could a game or two in the playoffs. Yes I realize it's unlikely, but if you don't get in, you'll never know.
1. Agree
2. Agree
3. Agree
4. Agree - I think the 1st round of the playoffs would be 50/50 against Cincy or NE. I wouldn't think that going to SD or Indy would be that much of a bad thing because we've played both, and had a lot of success against them in some ways.

Let's hope we have a great gameplan on offense and defense, and can find a way to win out.

Go Broncos.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #23
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,436

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

The Arizona Cardinals were 9-7 last year and made it to the Superbowl.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:04 PM   #24
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 9,911

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
The Arizona Cardinals were 9-7 last year and made it to the Superbowl.
And should have won, only the refs missed the obvious block in the back on that long INT return before the half.

Although AZ was the poster child for a mediocre team getting red hot and putting a nice streak together in the playoffs, they still had a Superbowl winning QB at the help with experience in the playoffs. I can't tell you how much that helped them. We don't have that.

Last edited by ZONA; 12-24-2009 at 11:08 PM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:03 AM   #25
NYBronco
Ring of Famer
 
NYBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,990
Default

Pick up half dozen or more third and whatever and the Broncos can win a couple of games.

Go Broncos!
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Denver Broncos