The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default Looking ahead: To reach the playoffs

Denvers remaining games
@ Philly
Vs KC

Balt (5 seed, hold tie breaker over Den)
@ Pitt
@ Oakland

Pitt (in the hunt, hold tie breaker over Den)
vs Balt
@ Miami

Jax (in the hunt, hold tie breaker to superior AFC record)
@ NE
@ Cleveland

Okay so I did this much more thoroughly a few mins ago but comp froze so here's just a simple run down of our main competition.

Naturally, our best scenario is to win out. If we don't, we need to AT LEAST put KC away at home.

At 9-7 we're still probably locks to the six seed due to:

Balt or Pitt will knock one of each other off. If Pitt beats Bal, AND beats Miami... then we're ****ed though.

Outside of that scenario, our conference record should lock us into a playoff berth unless Jax runs the tables vs NE and Cleveland. That would bring them to 8-4 and leave us at 7-5 (assuming we beat KC)/

Summary:
In week 16, root for Baltimore and New England, and we should be poised to clinch week 17 with a KC win whether or not we get roflstomped by Philly
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
bombquixote
Ring of Famer
 
bombquixote's Avatar
 
11-5 in 2009

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Perineum
Posts: 1,119
Default

Well, I guess it's a good thing September games count.
bombquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombquixote View Post
Well, I guess it's a good thing September games count.
Yes, but I'd gladly trade the Cinci and NE wins for victories over Balt and Pitt...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

I would not assume for one second the Broncos can win either of the last 2 games. I think they can beat KC at home but I also thought they would have no problem with Oakland at home either. As for Philly on the road, forget it, not gonna happen.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!
 
SureShot's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,939

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell
Default

Yep it will be a reach.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,855

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

Summary:
In week 16, root for Baltimore and New England, and we should be poised to clinch week 17 with a KC win whether or not we get roflstomped by Philly

Root for Houston over Miami too. That way IF Pitt beats Balty this week....Miami could beat Pitt in week 17 and both would have 8 losses.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:12 AM   #7
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Root for Houston over Miami too. That way IF Pitt beats Balty this week....Miami could beat Pitt in week 17 and both would have 8 losses.
No... that doesn't matter. Miami has to win out to match our 7-5 AFC record (assuming we beat KC). Still, we win the next tie breaker: Vs Common Opponents. So Miami is not an issue.

I explained that in my original version that got wiped out.

The ONLY threats (assuming we beat KC) are Pitt and Balt and a longshot in Jax. Now, if we dont beat KC, we dont belong anywhere near the ****ing playoffs anyways.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:57 AM   #8
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,767

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin
Default

This is strarting to look way too much like last season.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:01 AM   #9
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,942

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

I saw in the news tonight that, if the season were to end as is today, we would be in, and we would be playing New England in New England.
Food for thought...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:41 AM   #10
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer
 
Broncos4Life's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 1,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
I saw in the news tonight that, if the season were to end as is today, we would be in, and we would be playing New England in New England, and losing in New England.
Food for thought...
Fixed it for ya......
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:57 AM   #11
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,598

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4Life View Post
Fixed it for ya......

Just wait until we tune up the Wild Left Tackle passing attack. You'll eat your words then.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:52 AM   #12
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 7,393
Default

Shouldn't be in this position.

The losses to WAS and OAK are just inexcusable.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:01 AM   #13
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis
 
Hulamau's Avatar
 
In the Pocket

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hulaville and Sedona
Posts: 9,452

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Denvers remaining games
@ Philly
Vs KC

Balt (5 seed, hold tie breaker over Den)
@ Pitt
@ Oakland

Pitt (in the hunt, hold tie breaker over Den)
vs Balt
@ Miami

Jax (in the hunt, hold tie breaker to superior AFC record)
@ NE
@ Cleveland

Okay so I did this much more thoroughly a few mins ago but comp froze so here's just a simple run down of our main competition.

Naturally, our best scenario is to win out. If we don't, we need to AT LEAST put KC away at home.

At 9-7 we're still probably locks to the six seed due to:

Balt or Pitt will knock one of each other off. If Pitt beats Bal, AND beats Miami... then we're ****ed though.

Outside of that scenario, our conference record should lock us into a playoff berth unless Jax runs the tables vs NE and Cleveland. That would bring them to 8-4 and leave us at 7-5 (assuming we beat KC)/

Summary:
In week 16, root for Baltimore and New England, and we should be poised to clinch week 17 with a KC win whether or not we get roflstomped by Philly
Good breakdown Rev,

At least we are even in position to debate what our chances are. Not many thought we would be three months ago. That said, I'd rather have lost 6 of the first 8 and won the last 6 and be playing strong at the end.

We need Buck next week to change it up with Moreno. Moreno is better when Buck can break those holes and loosen the D a bit. Our Oline blocking is terrible they sucked on the run and pass protection yesterday.

Lets see if we can pull another Giants game like effort together next week, stomp KC the following and make it in playing on a higher note regardless.

I think the team is sufficiently embarrassed by this Screw Job to respond next week. Just hope we catch Philly coasting a bit too .... Can happen.

Last edited by Hulamau; 12-21-2009 at 06:07 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:04 AM   #14
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis
 
Hulamau's Avatar
 
In the Pocket

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hulaville and Sedona
Posts: 9,452

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Root for Houston over Miami too. That way IF Pitt beats Balty this week....Miami could beat Pitt in week 17 and both would have 8 losses.
Could happen, Houston usually goes on a win streak once they have nothing to play for!
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #15
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer
 
Nothing lasts forever.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dove Valley
Posts: 5,838

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Summary:
In week 16, root for Baltimore and New England, and we should be poised to clinch week 17 with a KC win whether or not we get roflstomped by Philly
Yeah this is what I thought as well.

It's actually a pretty realistic scenario as well. It's not like we are hoping for miracles like the Browns to beat anyone.

Baltimore and NE still have plenty to play for. NE is VERY good at home. I'm a little more worried about Pittsburgh winning out than J'ville. That said, even if Pittsburgh gets by Baltimore this week, Miami will give them all they want. If they take that traveling road show (The Big Ben hold the ball for seven seconds circus), Big Ben may end up taking 10 sacks in that game.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #16
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,823

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Well, it's nice to still have a chance. I hope Denver doesn't collapse.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #17
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer
 
LetsGoBroncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,559
Default

Rev, the only thing I see that I think you are wrong on is Miami. If the win out and we lose to philly and beat K.C., we are both 7-5 in the conference. Next tiebreaker is common opponents which are Indy, SD, Pitt and NE and we will both be 2-3
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #18
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Rev, the only thing I see that I think you are wrong on is Miami. If the win out and we lose to philly and beat K.C., we are both 7-5 in the conference. Next tiebreaker is common opponents which are Indy, SD, Pitt and NE and we will both be 2-3
Oooooh, you're right. When I looked at common opponents I hadn't looked at remaining games.

Nice catch, thanks and my apologies for an inaccurate OP.

This brings up strength of victory... in which case we might be boned. We ran it up on KC, but we've had some serious nail biters.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #19
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,315

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

I'll take it one game at a time. Do your homework. Revert to what got you six wins in a row early in the season. We can beat the Eagles. With the roster and personnel turnover we had on this team, to even win eight games was huge for me. We are all just jaded because this is so much like last season with the collapse that it is almost unbearable two years in a row.

I have faith that this team can make the playoffs and do better as McDaniels gets a better grasp of things and is able to get our roster in functioning order. This team needs a complete overhaul on the interior, especially LG and C and unless Harris is ready to go next season, we already need more depth at RT. I love Harris, but I'm not so sure if he is our guy on that side moving forward, especially with Josh here.

Good news for us, we have a top ten draft pick coming our way and a decent amount of picks to follow. Cheer up.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #20
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES
 
PaintballCLE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cleveland, Oh
Posts: 3,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Oooooh, you're right. When I looked at common opponents I hadn't looked at remaining games.

Nice catch, thanks and my apologies for an inaccurate OP.

This brings up strength of victory... in which case we might be boned. We ran it up on KC, but we've had some serious nail biters.
just FYI

strenght of victory is record of teams you beat not by the points you won by.
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #21
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,855

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Oooooh, you're right. When I looked at common opponents I hadn't looked at remaining games.

Nice catch, thanks and my apologies for an inaccurate OP.

This brings up strength of victory... in which case we might be boned. We ran it up on KC, but we've had some serious nail biters.
That's why I'm saying root for Houston over Miami. Miami would then be out at 8 losses & free to beat Pitt in week 17 should Pitt get by Baltimore this week.

10-6 fixes all of this of course but it would be nice to know going in to week 17 that Denver just needs to win and their in. That can happen next Sunday if Pitt, Jax & Miami lose.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #22
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBleed Orange and Blue View Post
just FYI

strenght of victory is record of teams you beat not by the points you won by.
just FYI

no it's not. That's "strength of schedule".

Head to head tie-breaker procedure:

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
4. Strength of victory.
5. Strength of schedule.
6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best net points in conference games.
9. Best net points in all games.
10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
11. Coin toss.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
That's why I'm saying root for Houston over Miami. Miami would then be out at 8 losses & free to beat Pitt in week 17 should Pitt get by Baltimore this week.

10-6 fixes all of this of course but it would be nice to know going in to week 17 that Denver just needs to win and their in. That can happen next Sunday if Pitt, Jax & Miami lose.
Yup, you were right. I didn't take the week 17 Pitt game into account. That's my fault.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #24
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,034

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

I would just like to get back to the days of leaving no doubt or control to another team for our success, let's close this b**** out on our own

then again, I thought that yesterday too
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #25
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,219

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Yup, you were right. I didn't take the week 17 Pitt game into account. That's my fault.
If you run the yahoo playoff generator.....Miami does NOT beat us in a 9-7 tiebreak (I think we would own strength of victory)......but I think you forgot about the J-E-T-S.....they WOULD own a 9-7 tiebreak over us.....

So, Rev, you are right, we need to root for Baltimore and New England this weekend......but the Jets also need to drop 1 more game.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Denver Broncos