The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #51
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Did you know that with 19 turnovers, we're on pace to finish ionly 8 behind last years total? That's .5 per game, not 4, Popps.

On average, turnovers are worth a little less than 3 points. So, lets handicap those 8 (24 points), to the offense.

Our 2009 offense has scored 275 points. Adjust that to 16 games and we have a total 315. Add the 24 point turnover handicap and we arrive at 339.

339 and handicapped GENEROUSLY is vastly inferior to the 370 points scored last year that you knocked all off-season long.
Requoting for better visibility for you Popps.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:48 AM   #52
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
First, no I didn't. I was here in full swing up until I moved Nov 3rd. Then I missed a few weeks. That was also our losing streak and posting felt dirty.

Second, Dawkins, Vonnie, Goodman, Hill are all over 30, and are the main FA defensive contributors. And the only secondary player that we drafted that has shown a goddamn thing is McBath.

No, I don't disagree with your final statement... you didn't actually say anything TO disagree with. And you ignored my post on TOs and scoring.
Bruton and Carter played well today, and Bruton has been excellent on special teams.

As for the turnovers, I'm not sure what you want me to say. We're on pace to finish with 8 fewer. Great! Hopefully it'll be even better than that. 8 turnovers could easily cost you 8 games in a season.

I know one thing, our current QB is generating much fewer turnovers this year than our old one, thankfully.

In any case, I'm not sure where you're headed or what the bigger picture point you're making is. If you think we're on the path to failure, that's your prerogative. I'm just not on board with that.

I do think we've got issues... and we'll see how we address them this off-season. A .500'ish finish this season can't be qualified as anything other than a success, considering the expectations and the turmoil/turnover this season. To me, brighter days are ahead.

But, you've been a glass is half-empty guy and maybe you'll be right. Time will tell. If we haven't progressed any further than this at the end of next year, I'll be calling for heads, just like you.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:06 AM   #53
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I don't have the stamina right now to look in the history logs to see when the last time that happened in a season. I would wager it was Griese's final year. But that's just a guess.
We had 8 games like that (under 20 points scored) with Plummer under center in 2006.
linkage:
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/den/2006.htm
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:12 AM   #54
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
This situation isn't helped by my buddies conspiring to send me text messages every 30 minutes to remind me that the Broncos lost due to Jamarcus Russell driving the field from the shot gun position 13 plays in a row.

What are friends for, eh? I think I hate these guys! lol

"Jamarcus Russell - Shotgun - 13 plays - sound familiar?"
Why would you worry about silly stuff like that when you have people like Popps on here saying everything is better. You dont find Popps' spin reassuring?
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:22 AM   #55
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Bruton and Carter played well today, and Bruton has been excellent on special teams.

As for the turnovers, I'm not sure what you want me to say. We're on pace to finish with 8 fewer. Great! Hopefully it'll be even better than that. 8 turnovers could easily cost you 8 games in a season.

I know one thing, our current QB is generating much fewer turnovers this year than our old one, thankfully.

In any case, I'm not sure where you're headed or what the bigger picture point you're making is. If you think we're on the path to failure, that's your prerogative. I'm just not on board with that.

I do think we've got issues... and we'll see how we address them this off-season. A .500'ish finish this season can't be qualified as anything other than a success, considering the expectations and the turmoil/turnover this season. To me, brighter days are ahead.

But, you've been a glass is half-empty guy and maybe you'll be right. Time will tell. If we haven't progressed any further than this at the end of next year, I'll be calling for heads, just like you.
Yeah, you'd never criticize:

-Building a defense from the back to the front.

-Fast starts and fading down the stretch.

-Blowing a 3 game lead to lose the division.

-Losing to Oakland at home.

Oh wait... weren't those your 4 key off-season points?

Personally, no, I'm not down on this team, and McDaniels has earned the benefit of the doubt, imo. Now, whether it WAS all element of surprise due to first time coaching, time will tell.

I'm only posting in this thread like this because you've gone completely off the deep end in grand hypocritic fashion and also making absurdly false statements (bad on third down, 4 turnovers a game, etc) to try and crowbar them into whatever what the point your trying to make is (and who the hell knows what that point is).
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:38 AM   #56
extralife
Ring of Famer

I remember when popps was going on and on about how all he could hope for was us to "get better every week" so that we "finish strong" because we're "building a TEAM"

6-0

2-6

same story
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:57 AM   #57
Bronco Yoda

I don't even know who you are anymore Popps.

I can only assume you're just yanking peoples chain for some reason.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:08 AM   #58
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
I remember when popps was going on and on about how all he could hope for was us to "get better every week" so that we "finish strong" because we're "building a TEAM"

6-0

2-6

same story
and when something changes next season, you'll have to listen to popps and his cronies drone on about it while completely reversing their opinions from a year ago.

why entertain facts when you have an agenda to push?
Atwater His Ass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:20 AM   #59
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

We are playing horrible since bye week.I see very few positives in this team.
I don't see any difference between last year's team to this year.

Mcd decissions are very questionable and we are losing to the teams that we are supposed to win.

How can you lose to Charlie Frye, Jruss and Tom Cable?
go_broncos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:26 AM   #60
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
We are playing horrible since bye week.I see very few positives in this team.
I don't see any difference between last year's team to this year.

Mcd decissions are very questionable and we are losing to the teams that we are supposed to win.

How can you lose to Charlie Frye, Jruss and Tom Cable?
a start would be to mix up the play calling. when a joe schmo like myself can predict 80% of the plays being called, I would bet an opposing NFL team has an even better idea of what you're doing.

this offense is so predictable is sickening. each series is usually one of the following:

1) run run pass punt

2) run screen pass punt

we don't stretch the field, we dont' call play action, we are uncreative with our runs.

denver has always been a horrible screen team but for some reason that is now a staple set of plays in this offense.
Atwater His Ass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:22 AM   #61
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:

-Blowing a 3 game lead to lose the division.

Oh wait... weren't those your 4 key off-season points?

Personally, no, I'm not down on this team, and McDaniels has earned the benefit of the doubt, imo. Now, whether it WAS all element of surprise due to first time coaching, time will tell.

I'm only posting in this thread like this because you've gone completely off the deep end in grand hypocritic fashion and also making absurdly false statements (bad on third down, 4 turnovers a game, etc) to try and crowbar them into whatever what the point your trying to make is (and who the hell knows what that point is).

Preach on REV
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:00 AM   #62
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Here's a question that should have been asked.

With the season on the line why was the playcalling so predictable in the run game with the same up the middle run call?

And why, with the season on the line did you wait until the last 25 seconds to call deeper pass plays?
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:06 AM   #63
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
lest my credibility ... come into question.
Yeah... wouldn't want that...
Old 12-21-2009, 07:24 AM   #64
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

What I saw was a team that lacked passion. If you give away the intangibles in an NFL game, you jeopardize your chance to win, period. A team that is in contention for a playoff spot should NEVER come out flat, and that's exactly what we did from the coach down to the punter. We deserved what we got when we handed over the passion.

This is what we saw last year under shanahan--inexplicable and unacceptable. This defense was just bad enough to lose, the offense was--you guessed it--just bad enough to lose, and special teams were just bad enough to lose. Coaching--bad enough to lose. WTF was Clady doing catching passes? This tells me about the mindset of this team when they came out. Teams like the Ravens forego the tricks and come out with the intention of kicking you in the nugs and taking your lunch money. This team lacks that character trait currently, including what I've seen of the coach.

Philly wants to catch Minnesota, so they will be prepared to steamroll us. With McCoy back there, it could be a long day for us unless we sack up in the run game. Playoff game #1 is this Sunday in Philly, and though it pains me to say it, I think a game like this is where we will miss cutler. He went into the Meadowlands last year in bad weather and flung it all over. Orton will not be given the chance to do that.

Let's go. What are we made of? We're about to find out.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #65
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
And why, with the season on the line did you wait until the last 25 seconds to call deeper pass plays?
They were hoping for a tipped pass to Stokley to win it.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #66
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Having our offense fall off this much really distresses me. We had one of the rising gem offenses in the game, and to fall off this much is tough to take. Scheffler, Royal, and Stokley (not to mention Hillis, or the entire offensive line) are nowhere near what they were last season. It's hard for me to believe that their talent just evaporated. How is it that a quarterback "as bad as Jay Cutler is" was able to get so much out of these guys, and we can't put together anything with them now?
Orton
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #67
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Good stuff. All very logical.

Four red-zone trips without TDs and you know that **** is going to come back to bite you.

He wants to run the ball and control the clock. I like the kind of team we're building, but we've got to get better up front.
Yeah, he needs to change the Broncos into a team that can run the ball and control the clock, because that hasn't been the team identity for the past 15 ****ing years.

Again, why drop the ZBS altogether when it worked so well in the past? Idiocy.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #68
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I can only say what Shanahan said for ten years: We're only a couple of pieces away...

Only this time, it's true.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:51 AM   #69
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
Just think...24 INT's...where would that get this team?
That's always a good point, and hard to refute.

BTW, thanks for the transcript TJ.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #70
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Fun house mirror perspective:

And then:

We were in year two of a rebuild last season. Our offense has absolutely regressed from where we were last season. If you want me to embarass you with more of your own quotes on this subject, I'd be happy to dive back into the search engine. You were very vocal about the offense being set, and all we needed was to focus on defensive line.

of course, the wind has blown since then.
haha. Poops has one objective and one objective only- to deflect blame away from Orton and McDaniels, because that would force him to once again change his opinion, even though clearly he is on the wrong side of the argument.

The offense was set. McDaniels ****ed it all up, and now the offense sucks. It's really as simple as that.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #71
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

No way in hell would Jayby have thrown all those INT's with Denver's cast and system.

Too bad he was so asshurt over the whole Cassel thing.

Last edited by WolfpackGuy; 12-21-2009 at 07:58 AM..
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #72
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Did you know that with 19 turnovers, we're on pace to finish ionly 8 behind last years total? That's .5 per game, not 4, Popps.

On average, turnovers are worth a little less than 3 points. So, lets handicap those 8 (24 points), to the offense.

Our 2009 offense has scored 275 points. Adjust that to 16 games and we have a total 315. Add the 24 point turnover handicap and we arrive at 339.

339 and handicapped GENEROUSLY is vastly inferior to the 370 points scored last year that you knocked all off-season long.
That's a good point, BUT . . .

10 of the TO's are from fumbles lost. The INT's hurt worse because of the return yards.

Also, you neglect to include the possible points scored by the offense if the turnovers did not occur.

Stats, they're manipulable, eh? You did your best to manipulate them. As we all do . . . . .
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #73
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

the mcd haters are back and in full force

and they have extended their hate 10x to everyone who has ever supported mcd. i guess you guys just KNEW he was going to lose games...eventually..
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #74
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:

We replaced every position in the front seven, including drafting a first round DE/OLB and signing several ends/tackles/LBs.

They've also been effective, unlike the "answer" to our problems last season, Boss Bailey and Marlon McCree.

Quote:

Sucks. Couldn't agree more.

Quote:

The season's over? I must have missed that. We beat KC and the Giants handily, lost to a great Indy team and were side-swiped by the Raiders, which I'm as pissed about as anyone.

Quote:
Personally, no, I'm not down on this team, and McDaniels has earned the benefit of the doubt, imo. .
Great, we agree!

Quote:

I'm only posting in this thread like this because you've gone completely off the deep
If supporting your team who has overachieved in the first year of a rebuild is "going off the deep end," then guilty as charged.

I'm not going to panic at this stage, and if you're comparing a 3rd year "franchise" QB and a 14 year coach to a first-year coach with almost all new personnel... maybe I'm not the one that needs to reexamine my "point."
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #75
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
the mcd haters are back and in full force

and they have extended their hate 10x to everyone who has ever supported mcd. i guess you guys just KNEW he was going to lose games...eventually..
Just make sure you differentiate between 'haters' and those who rightly criticize the coaching in a horrific loss.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote