The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Slade
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball
Default Playcalling

Say what you will about our talent...our lack there of on the offensive line, but this game was lost with ****ty coaching.

On offense, our playcalling was pathetic. We ran on 1st down every ****ng time. And except for a few decent carries by Lamont Jordan, we were stuffed every time. Essentially we were playing with 2 downs to get 10 yards instead of 3. I wish McD would mix it up a bit and call a short pass on first, or mix in a play action from time to time and go long.

On D, the Raiders knew we were pinning our ears back and rushing from the edges, so they ran a **** load of screens. Why couldn't we blitz up the middle more like when we knocked out Frye and let the OLBs have contain?

This team is not terrible, but it needs a good game from the coaches to give us a chance. We lost to the Redskins also when we thought we will just win cause we are better. It is almost like to McD his Super Bowl was against the Pats. We won that and since then we are 3-6.
Slade is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

1, the offense playcalling is atrocious at times. Key point, 2nd and 4 on the 13 yard line, up 3-0 and gaining momentum from an interception. What do we call? A trick play to get the hands in our fricken franchise LT Ryan Clady. No, not Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal, Knowshon Moreno, but Ryan Clady.
The bubble screen was awful on 3rd and 14. Then you have goaline plays where you don't utilize Marshall very well. We scored our only touchdown going to Marshall. Coincidence? I think not. Get him mismatched down there instead of trying to run it or throw it to Scheffler IMO.
Not to mention the same tendicies as outlined above. Run 1st down, pass 2nd and 3rd down.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
broncobum6162
Manning Up!

Baaammmmmmmm!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Key point: If I know it and you know it, Why don't the coaching staff know it. This game was a train wreck from the beginning when we settled for 2 field goals at the start instead of touchdowns.
broncobum6162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
... It is almost like to McD his Super Bowl was against the Pats. We won that and since then we are 3-6.
Good point, I haven't seen McDaniels take any victory fistpump laps since.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

I'm not sure I'd say the play-calling is atrocious, considering we lost by 1 pt. on what was really a miracle comeback.

Our coaches did enough to allow us to win.

But, with first and goal from the 4, we couldn't run the ball for a ****ing yard.

That's not play-calling, folks. That's a simple lack of talent up front. It's just going to take time, people. We're not winning the SB this year. Did some of you just realize that?

Enjoy the wins as they come, root for the playoffs... but try to be realistic. We're building something here that's not going to happen overnight.

We came back from being down today and had this game with a few minutes to play. We lost a heart-breaker. But, the team didn't quit. We didn't play sloppy.

We need to be able to run the ball on short yardage. We need to be able to push teams backwards on the LOS, and we're simply not doing it. (Regardless of who is handling the ball as a runner.)
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Its kind of amusing seeing Popps trying to get out infront of every criticism raised in every thread and try to put what he feels is the proper spin on what is happening...as if anyone really cares. .
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

B Marsh is a top 5 WR. Throw a damn fade route every goal line situation and its 6 every time..

Play calling in the RZ has been garbage all season. Our OL cant block for short yardage situations, we know this, mix it up MCd you retard!!!!!
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
B Marsh is a top 5 WR. Throw a damn fade route every goal line situation and its 6 every time..!
Actually agree with this part. I'm not sure why we don't throw that more at the goal line.

Look, I wasn't thrilled with the play-calling, but the lack of talent and execution was much more painful to watch, today.

We've got to run the ball.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

I wish McDaniels would call a few vertical passes just to loosen up the defense so the screens and pick passes that he wants to run would be more effective. Where is the diverse offensive play calling that we saw with New England in 2007?

Randy Moss and Brandon Marshall are equivalent. Kyle Orton has shown he can be a decent deep thrower if given the opportunity. He's not Chad Pennington.
Bronco LB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Is that a tornado in here, or is that just popps making excuses for the coaching staff again?

Is it convenient to blame Marshall again this week Popps? No, can't do that. He caught 21 passes last week with his QB staring directly at him... Knowsh... nah, can't go there. That would be a bad indictment on the coaching staff and the rest of their draft picks already do that for them... I know, the OFFENSIVE LINE AND ELVIS DUMERVIL ARE TO BLAME!!!!

spin!

Spin!!

SPIN!!!!!!!
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #11
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB52 View Post
I wish McDaniels would call a few vertical passes just to loosen up the defense so the screens and pick passes that he wants to run would be more effective. Where is the diverse offensive play calling that we saw with New England in 2007?.
We started out slinging the ball, and then sort of backed off. I agree, I'd like to see more of it. McDaniels is surprisingly conservative at times.

That said, I just keep going back to 1st and goal from the 4. (After we completed a long pass over the middle of the field that set it up.)

If you can't punch it in from the 4 at home to seal a win and maybe a playoff spot, you've got problems. You've got to be able to maul another team in that situation.

Think about it, we were in the red-zone FOUR times today and came away with ****ing field goals.

That's one thing. That's a lack of power up front. Period.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #12
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Actually agree with this part. I'm not sure why we don't throw that more at the goal line.

Look, I wasn't thrilled with the play-calling, but the lack of talent and execution was much more painful to watch, today.

We've got to run the ball.
Lack of talent is true on short yardage situations. But that means we need to stop doing the things that arent working and try new things.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #13
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

First, I did not see the game as I had family Christmas party and the women planned it so they dont get SUnday football in their heads. Ive heard the same complaint on KOA tonight in the call in show but We didnt run every first down. We had 11 runs and 17 passes. I believe the first 6 or 8 runs had pretty good yardage. I really think he is afraid of spreading out Orton for pass plays. McD would rather keep pounding the ball.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #14
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
That said, I just keep going back to 1st and goal from the 4. (After we completed a long pass over the middle of the field that set it up.)

If you can't punch it in from the 4 at home to seal a win and maybe a playoff spot, you've got problems. You've got to be able to maul another team in that situation.

Think about it, we were in the red-zone FOUR times today and came away with ****ing field goals.

That's one thing. That's a lack of power up front. Period.
Obviously, the team needs more beef in the interior line, but I think philosophy deserves some blame too.

Today we saw outside runs with Moreno when the Broncos were in a four wide, bunch set! The fullback is also rarely utilized in our runs! It's not all on the line.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:

Randy Moss and Brandon Marshall are equivalent. ....
Plus Matt Light cannot touch Clady stats as a receiver.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #16
wandlc
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

just putting it out there, but until Hillis got hurt last year the Broncos were in the top 10 in redzone efficiency, 8th I think. I don't think our line is that bad, they blocked well last year, I think it is more related to an arrogant, egotistical, small minded, vindictive coach. Mike Tomlin in Pitt didn't run the type of D they run, did he change it? No. McD comes here and since he never ran the zone blocking system he cans it in favor of what he likes. This team would have run the ball better if he would have let Dennison and Turner handle the run game while he worked the passing game.
wandlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #17
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Mcd sucks..
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #18
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandlc View Post
just putting it out there, but until Hillis got hurt last year the Broncos were in the top 10 in redzone efficiency, 8th I think. I don't think our line is that bad, they blocked well last year, I think it is more related to an arrogant, egotistical, small minded, vindictive coach. Mike Tomlin in Pitt didn't run the type of D they run, did he change it? No. McD comes here and since he never ran the zone blocking system he cans it in favor of what he likes. This team would have run the ball better if he would have let Dennison and Turner handle the run game while he worked the passing game.
This hasnt been discussed enough. It has been but not with the feelings of McD. We dont know exactly unless we are in insider, but is he arrogant like this? Is it his way or the highway? I like Josh and think he will be a good coach. Maybe we all got too full of ourselves on that 6-0 run. Seems you cant handle everything yourself or you might be out of a job. I think he needs to learn from what happened to who he took the job from, Coach/GM Shanahan. My opinion, but should be discussed if only to make a 30 page thread.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:36 PM   #19
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Do you move the mountain or the molehill? My thinking is the players are locked in, at least for this year. Do you maximize their strengths and give yourself a chance to win, or jam the system down their throats and miss the playoffs because of arrogance?

Well, according to popps, you say effff the players, you either get it or you're out next year which is fine but I think making the playoffs this year is more beneficial in the long run for guys like Marshall, Royal, Elvis and Moreno... You can always fix the system later on. Shanahan said it best... learning an offensive system is a process. Elway didn't get the full playbook when Mike came back until 96' or 97'. He maximized guys like Anthony Miller and Mike Pritchard as long as he could before he could get his guys into the games, running the offense he wanted to run.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #20
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Do you move the mountain or the molehill? My thinking is the players are locked in, at least for this year. Do you maximize their strengths and give yourself a chance to win, or jam the system down their throats and miss the playoffs because of arrogance?

Well, according to popps, you say effff the players, you either get it or you're out next year which is fine but I think making the playoffs this year is more beneficial in the long run for guys like Marshall, Royal, Elvis and Moreno... You can always fix the system later on. Shanahan said it best... learning an offensive system is a process. Elway didn't get the full playbook when Mike came back until 96' or 97'. He maximized guys like Anthony Miller and Mike Pritchard as long as he could before he could get his guys into the games, running the offense he wanted to run.
What makes his system so much better than the old one?
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #21
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Obviously, the team needs more beef in the interior line, but I think philosophy deserves some blame too.

Today we saw outside runs with Moreno when the Broncos were in a four wide, bunch set! The fullback is also rarely utilized in our runs! It's not all on the line.
There are plays I'd like to see more of, that's for sure.

I think we all realize how important Buck is to our offense now, too. Dude is just crucial. Too bad, because he's unlikely to ever make it through a season.

My point is, we've had "play-calling sucks" threads after every loss since the internet was invented.

People HATED Shanahan's play-calling... except when we won. Then, it was great.

If our O-line could have done their job and opened up a hole from the 3 yard line... we would have put this game away and this board would have a completely different tone.

I would have liked to see us try to work the middle of the field more, but Oakland is a talented team. McDaniels probably saw a chance for us to keep this game tight by running the ball, and allowing our defense to make plays.

Basically, he was 1 point wrong, and that one point came on a miracle drive that 99 times out of 100, Jar Jar can't put together.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #22
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
I would have liked to see us try to work the middle of the field more, but Oakland is a talented team. McDaniels probably saw a chance for us to keep this game tight by running the ball, and allowing our defense to make plays.

Basically, he was 1 point wrong, and that one point came on a miracle drive that 99 times out of 100, Jar Jar can't put together.
+2 in turnovers against the Raiders should be an automatic W.

McDaniels was lucky to be leading this game in the fourth quarter. Denver got manhandled. Stokley's catch and run was the only big play the offense made all day.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #23
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
Lack of talent is true on short yardage situations. But that means we need to stop doing the things that arent working and try new things.
I agree, but if we run wide... people would complain about that.

If we throw more, people would complain that we're not committed to the running game.

If we try trick plays, people complain about that.

You just have to execute ****... and people won't complain. That's a talent issue.

1st and goal from the 4 and a chance to potentially seal a playoff spot... and we can't push the Raiders D-line off the ball. It's that simple. In that situation, you line up and maul the team in front of you. We couldn't do it. The middle and right side of our line collapsed all day.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #24
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Is that a tornado in here, or is that just popps making excuses for the coaching staff again?

Is it convenient to blame Marshall again this week Popps? No, can't do that. He caught 21 passes last week with his QB staring directly at him... Knowsh... nah, can't go there. That would be a bad indictment on the coaching staff and the rest of their draft picks already do that for them... I know, the OFFENSIVE LINE AND ELVIS DUMERVIL ARE TO BLAME!!!!

spin!

Spin!!

SPIN!!!!!!!
Your Right BPC I am sure Shanny would have done better. I mean look at last year. ERR wait a second.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #25
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Your Right BPC I am sure Shanny would have done better. I mean look at last year. ERR wait a second.
If we win either of these last two games, we're already better than last season.

I suspect we will.

I also suspect BPC and his band of haters will be here to **** all over it, somehow.

Bitter, sad people.