The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2009, 04:27 AM   #1
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default Broncos should have plenty of money to spend in 2010 should Bowlen decide to spend it

According to my records from late November, the Broncos have the lowest payroll attributed for 2010.

At present they only have $62m attached to approx 41 players' contracts.

Only Kansas City at $63.5m, Cincinatti at $67m, New England at $63m, Tampa Bay $65.5m, Tennessee $67.5m come close to that figure. The likes of the Dallas Cowboys, Vikings etc have nearly $50m more already assigned.

So by my reckoning if Bowlen wants this team to push once again for a Superbowl he has more than enough wriggle room to keep the players we want to keep and give McDaniels enough ammo to go after those few decent players that will make it through the loophole of a non-CBA free agency period.

To put the above figures into perspective, Denver spent approx $112m on contracts this season. So $50m less right now.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You reckon that resigning Orton, Marshall, Doom and Kuper should be quite manageable then?

Very nice, if so.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

It's early for me. If I'm interpreting this correctly, you're saying that Denver has fifty million dollars available in 2010?
Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:00 AM   #4
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
It's early for me. If I'm interpreting this correctly, you're saying that Denver has fifty million dollars available in 2010?
He's saying they are committed to $50M less at this point for 2010 than what they'll pay out in total for the 2009 season.

Obviously that $62M number is us without Doom, Marshall, Orton, and anyone else who might be on an expiring contract, which for the back end of the roster would be a pretty big number. We'd probably see somewhere between $5-$10M needed just to fill out the back 15-20 of the roster. We'll also have a fairly high dollar draft pick coming from the Bears, as well as the rest of our draft picks, but they'll help fill out that back 15-20 as well possibly.

Those are a couple examples of how it could go down. It could go up simply if Bowlen is willing to spend more. It could also increase if Champ gets an extension with a lower '10 payout (at about $15M as of now) in exchange for multiple years.

There is a restriction where a playoff team in an uncapped year can basically only spend dollar for dollar on FA money added for FA money lost. I'm not sure how that deals with cap hits like Henry, Cutler, Bly, Bailey, etc.. If we make the playoffs and that money is viewed as FA money lost then we could easily extend Doom, Marshall, and Orton (probably all in the $9-$10M AAV at the utmost) and still have $20M+ to spend on FAs.

We're in a pretty interesting position. Xanders seems to have the finances sorted well for the first time in at least half a decade. If Bowlen is up for spending it Xanders and McDaniels will likely have a whole lot of ammo, dollars and picks, to make this team better for 2010.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
That what he saying, if there is a cap. If not it up to Bowlen how much he wants to spend.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
GeniusatWork
I like to be optimistic

But not nauseatingly optimistic

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Wow, that sounds like a good position, just have to wait to see what we do.

It's been a long time if I remember right since Denver had so much room. Probably since before I can remember.

But "room" prolly isn't the right word since there is no cap. Prolly better to just say since Denver had such a low payroll commitment in relation to what Bowlen is perpared to spend.
GeniusatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
UboBronco
Seasoned Veteran

And how much money would Bowlen save in Shanny signs on to coach the Redskins...
UboBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
He's saying they are committed to $50M less at this point for 2010 than what they'll pay out in total for the 2009 season.

Obviously that $62M number is us without Doom, Marshall, Orton, and anyone else who might be on an expiring contract, which for the back end of the roster would be a pretty big number. We'd probably see somewhere between $5-$10M needed just to fill out the back 15-20 of the roster. We'll also have a fairly high dollar draft pick coming from the Bears, as well as the rest of our draft picks, but they'll help fill out that back 15-20 as well possibly.

Those are a couple examples of how it could go down. It could go up simply if Bowlen is willing to spend more. It could also increase if Champ gets an extension with a lower '10 payout (at about $15M as of now) in exchange for multiple years.

There is a restriction where a playoff team in an uncapped year can basically only spend dollar for dollar on FA money added for FA money lost. I'm not sure how that deals with cap hits like Henry, Cutler, Bly, Bailey, etc.. If we make the playoffs and that money is viewed as FA money lost then we could easily extend Doom, Marshall, and Orton (probably all in the $9-$10M AAV at the utmost) and still have $20M+ to spend on FAs.

We're in a pretty interesting position. Xanders seems to have the finances sorted well for the first time in at least half a decade. If Bowlen is up for spending it Xanders and McDaniels will likely have a whole lot of ammo, dollars and picks, to make this team better for 2010.
With chicago taking on Cutlers contract we have no cap hit for cutler.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #9
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

GANGNAM STYLE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

It's too bad Bowlen is a gutless drunk who won't spend any money!
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post
You reckon that resigning Orton, Marshall, Doom and Kuper should be quite manageable then?

Very nice, if so.
Re-signing Orton, Kuper and Scheffler was always going to be easy considering there wont be a big market for any of them.

Dumervil and Marshall have elevated themselves to top 5-10 players at their posiitons and it depends how much Bowlen wants to invest in them.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
Bronco Warrior
Opinionated Jerk

Ranting Maniac!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If we sign Orton to a big long term contract we are idiots. He will be our backup of the future nothing more! Shanny is already hiring staff for the Washington gig so there goes another 10+ mill for the year. We lose alot of dead cap hits in an uncapped year too so we sign Marshall Doom, and Kuper for starters..no punn intended..lol, and we sign a big DL FA and we are in business! I would have said that we needed a big nasty Guard from FA but Hochstien has played solid and we can draft one for the future. Center is a concern aswell..Weig is getting old and might not be as good in Joshie's scheme.

PS Edit: Sheffler is going to go to a Restricted FA in an uncapped year. Don't fool yourself..that guy would get paid!! Kuper is a beast and would get paid elsewere too!

Last edited by Bronco Warrior; 12-20-2009 at 09:07 AM..
Bronco Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #12
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Warrior View Post
If we sign Orton to a big long term contract we are idiots. He will be our backup of the future nothing more! Shanny is already hiring staff for the Washington gig so there goes another 10+ mill for the year. We lose alot of dead cap hits in an uncapped year too so we sign Marshall Doom, and Kuper for starters..no punn intended..lol, and we sign a big DL FA and we are in business! I would have said that we needed a big nasty Guard from FA but Hochstien has played solid and we can draft one for the future. Center is a concern aswell..Weig is getting old and might not be as good in Joshie's scheme.

PS Edit: Sheffler is going to go to a Restricted FA in an uncapped year. Don't fool yourself..that guy would get paid!! Kuper is a beast and would get paid elsewere too!
Sheffler is none too happy about his role here as of late and he knew McD was shopping him in this offseason so like you said he'll get paid I just don't think it will be here
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #13
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post

Very nice, if so.
Marshall (Franchise)

Doom (restricted)

Orton (restricted)

Kuper (restricted)

It can be done with some reworked contracts and with Shanny getting a coaching gig.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
Bronco Warrior
Opinionated Jerk

Ranting Maniac!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Orton was on a one year deal wasn't he? Then he will be FA. If we have him RFA we shouldn't give him a dollar! That would be sweet to keep him as a functional backup!
Old 12-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #15
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Hopefully the Redskins or Cowboys will be good enough to take the 14 million we have committed to Shanahan off our hands as well, that should make Bowlens pockets seem even deeper.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #16
Bronco Warrior
Opinionated Jerk

Ranting Maniac!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Shannahan is already hiring staff for Washington according to NFLN.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #17
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
Marshall (Franchise)

Doom (restricted)

Orton (restricted)

Kuper (restricted)

It can be done with some reworked contracts and with Shanny getting a coaching gig.
Doom will be a UFA in the offseason assuming a new CBA is worked out.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #18
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Doom will be a UFA in the offseason assuming a new CBA is worked out.
Which has about a 5% possibility of happening at this point. It is all but assured that next year will be uncapped and have no CBA in place.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #19
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Sheffler is none too happy about his role here as of late and he knew McD was shopping him in this offseason so like you said he'll get paid I just don't think it will be here
You best friends with him or something?

Some of the unfounded posts around here are amazing.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #20
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by UboBronco View Post
And how much money would Bowlen save in Shanny signs on to coach the Redskins...
+1
I was wondering the same thing...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #21
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post

No but he was on the Fan speaking with Nate jackson and that was Nate's conclusion of the interview. Nate and Tony are tight
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:05 AM   #22
Bronco Warrior
Opinionated Jerk

Ranting Maniac!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
+1
Drag: it's in the 13-14 mill range per year if (when)he gets signed by Washington. Unless Washington and the spend happy Snyder signs him for less per than he was owed here..then we pay the difference. Fat Chance on that with Snyder writing the checks!
Old 12-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #23
Bronco Warrior
Opinionated Jerk

Ranting Maniac!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post

Sheff has the most catches by a TE in the league over the last three years untill Joshie came to town. The guy is 6'5 and 255 and runs a sub 4.6, would you be happy?
Old 12-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #24
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
+1
The entire remainder of shanahans contract. Which BTW has no bearing on the cap.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #25
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Warrior View Post
Sheff has the most catches by a TE in the league over the last three years untill Joshie came to town. The guy is 6'5 and 255 and runs a sub 4.6, would you be happy?
If I'm winning? **** yeah I'd be happy.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote