The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2009, 02:30 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Chefs losers of 33 of the last 38 games......

Chiefs Darkest Day :

As you know, the game with Cleveland will be blacked out on Sunday. That, in and of itself, isnít all that bad. I mean two of the very worst teams in the NFL donít exactly make for riveting drama. If that were all there were to it, then we could complain and moan and groan, but life with the Chiefs would go on. Unfortunately, itís far worse than that.

This is the first blackout of a Chiefs game in 19 years. The last one was in December, 1990. Despite being 9-4 before that game, KC got hammered at home by Houston (7-6) 27-10. It was also the last home game of the season. KC won their next two games in 1990 on the road to finish the regular season 11-5. They went to Miami for the first round of the playoffs. You may or may not recall, but the Dolphins scored 14 points in the fourth quarter to overcome a 13 point deficit. Miami 17, Kansas City 16. That was in Martyís second season as coach. Thatís how long ago it was. The streak of 156 home games on local TV will come to an end in two days.

I discussed the very real possibility that Chiefs fans will lose interest if there is a blackout in this post. However, the situation is even worse than that. Like 1990, there are two later games (both on the road). Both competitors are 9-4 and KC is likely to get hammered. If they donít beat Cleveland, this may arguably be their worst season in history.

If you are a fan and youíve just been hanging on the past few years out of fading loyalty or because of habit, the first time you canít watch the Chiefs play Ė you may find something better to do. You may even like what you find. If KC loses Sunday, you may not even bother to watch them against Cincy or San Diego.

And that leads to the question of whatís the incentive to remain a fan? More to the point, what is the incentive to be a big enough fan to purchase season tickets? Without that, multiple Chiefs games could be blacked out in 2010 Ė and the franchise ďdeath spiralĒ begins.

The simple fact is that this blackout is not only symbolic and representative of the season, but this season is the apex of Chiefsí futility. Kansas City has lost 33 of the last 38 games Ė on par with the worst 38 game stretch in NFL history. Weíve changed GMs and coaches and yet we donít see any sign of improvement. Even the most ardent supporters canít envision a playoff team for years to come.

As I have mentioned before, Iím a fan first and foremost of watching Chiefs (or any game) on the tube. Save a ton on tickets. Save a ton on parking. Save a ton on gas (from where I live anyway). Save a ton on concessions. No lines for the bathroom. You donít miss a single play. No drunken fans. Instant replay from every angle. Recliner. Perfect temperatures. Flip the channel during commercials. Flip it off if the game sucks. Itís the several hundred thousand TV viewers that end up making or breaking the team. We buy the products that are advertised. We buy jerseys and other memorabilia. We go to the occasional game just to say we went.

In my opinion, the NFL is risking hurting themselves with the blackout policy. The economy is nose-diving down. Unemployment is rocketing up. Itís preposterous to expect the same number of people to pay the same amount of money in this environment. Add the 33 losses in 38 games to the equation and itís not only preposterous, itís incomprehensible that people will pay that much money and commit that much time. It wonít happen IMO Ė even if you deny them the opportunity to watch it on the tube.

Kansas City not only has the lack of an NBA team or an NHL team, but we have one of the worst baseball teams with no light at the end of the tunnel. The Chiefs have reached the point where the city simply has nowhere to turn Ė at least on a professional level. Fans wonít support such a lousy product. Does it mean the end of professional sports in KC? Does it mean we will never again have a winner? Or, will the Royals, Chiefs and some future NBA team eventually become the Red Sox, Patriots and Celtics?

Unquestionably... no! However, the KC Royals went to the playoffs five times in six years in the late 70's. The KC Kings went to the playoffs five times in seven years in the early 80's. The KC Chiefs went to the playoffs six straight seasons in the early 90's. Will any of those days ever return to our city?

Iím not optimistic, but then I consider today to be the darkest bleakest day in KC sports - at least in my memory Ė and possibly ever.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2009, 02:33 AM   #2
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

And yet we are going to lose the division.

Unless we sweep.

Last edited by watermock; 12-19-2009 at 04:04 AM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:34 AM   #3
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Chiefs__Rob, you continue to start threads about the Chiefs yet this is a Broncos board no? Me thinks you have a Chiefs obsession. You won your SB and it's been 2 weeks since then but yet here we are.
How are those Chiefs season tickets working out?
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:19 AM   #4
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

I am loving every second of this.
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

I remember seeing the end of the Houston game when Moon dropped over 500 yards passing on them.

He could've easily had 600, but the Oilers called the dogs off.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
And yet we are going to lose the division.

Unless we sweep.
Great point.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #7
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Chiefs__Rob, you continue to start threads about the Chiefs yet this is a Broncos board no? Me thinks you have a Chiefs obsession. You won your SB and it's been 2 weeks since then but yet here we are.
Says the idiot KC fan who hangs out on a Broncos message board.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Says the idiot KC fan who hangs out on a Broncos message board.

The self proclaimed 'Stud' isn't smart enough to understand irony, even when he steps in it.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #9
GeniusatWork
I like to be optimistic

But not nauseatingly optimistic

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Like 1990, there are two later games (both on the road). Both competitors are 9-4 and KC is likely to get hammered
If KC loses Sunday, you may not even bother to watch them against Cincy or San Diego.

Gosh, I must be dumber than a KC fan because I could swear KC plays Cincy and Denver, not Cincy and SD. I spose that dumb KC fan that wrote that really has lost interest to not even know who the last two games of the season are against.
GeniusatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
It's 'methinks,' doofus.

But, being a Chief's fan maybe "me thinks" is common parlance.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusatWork View Post
Like 1990, there are two later games (both on the road). Both competitors are 9-4 and KC is likely to get hammered
If KC loses Sunday, you may not even bother to watch them against Cincy or San Diego.

Gosh, I must be dumber than a KC fan because I could swear KC plays Cincy and Denver, not Cincy and SD. I spose that dumb KC fan that wrote that really has lost interest to not even know who the last two games of the season are against.
Damn. Three games against the Chiefs every year would be sweet!
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The Chiefs haven't accomplished jack in years and have to go back to the early 70's for great times, yet most of them act like idiots posting in here and talking crap about the Broncos. They must be very sad people rooting for such a garbage organization and feel the need to visit other teams' forums with the sole purpose to try to get fans of other teams to think negativily about their teams. Pathetic.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
Bronco Bob
Tastee Freeze

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusatWork View Post

Yeah, that got my attention too.
Bronco Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I agree with at least one thing the goofy Kansas City fan pointed out. Why does anyone here care about the Chiefs? They're a small market division competitor we've already demolished and will probably beat again as a springboard into the play-offs. They do matter the week we play them, but that's only two times a season and other than that, who cares? Their decades long saga of utter futility is almost pitiful. The Raiders frustrations on the other hand are an unending source of joy, and that comedy makes it's appearance in Denver this weekend.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #15
Bronco LB52
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
You Queefs fans ask for it. You turds come here pounding your chest over your 3-10 team so fans here are going to ridicule your team every chance they get.

There would be more Gayder threads here, but their fans don't show because they know better.
Bronco LB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #16
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Haha you fail so hard at everything. At least you have Bob nearby, the only person who's failed worse.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:04 AM   #17
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Haha you fail so hard at everything. At least you have Bob nearby, the only person who's failed worse.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #18
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco LB52 View Post
You Queefs fans ask for it. You turds come here pounding your chest over your 3-10 team so fans here are going to ridicule your team every chance they get.

There would be more Gayder threads here, but their fans don't show because they know better.
Wow who's pumping their chest? Bob? It's Bronco fans who are pumping their chests
Old 12-21-2009, 02:21 AM   #19
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Wow who's pumping their chest? Bob? It's Bronco fans who are pumping their chests

I know Jerome Harrison and Joshua Cribbs are..

Old 12-21-2009, 03:26 AM   #20
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
I know Jerome Harrison and Joshua Cribbs are..

As is Michael Bush and Charlie Frye
Old 12-24-2009, 02:39 AM   #21
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
As is Michael Bush and Charlie Frye

not being in last place will do that to a team........

just sayin'
Old 12-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #22
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

UPDATED:

Chefs losers of 35 of the last 40 games.....

Old 12-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #23
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

bob will find a way to polish this turd ( just watch)
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:00 AM   #24
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Old 12-31-2009, 02:37 AM   #25
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

WE just lost to Russell, Frye and Loseman, all injured.

At home.

AND let McNabb run for 27 yards on a 3rd and 25.

Polish that turd.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote