The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Denver724
Ring of Famer

Default Broncos WR Marshall moves into big-money position

Not sure if this was already posted. Is Bowlen ready to open his checkbook? This is big money.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time is almost up for Brandon Marshall as an affordable player.

Is Marshall down to his final three regular-season games with the Broncos? If so, the Broncos are draining every ounce of sweat they can from their star wide receiver.

"And I'm giving them every ounce of my sweat," Marshall said Monday, the day after he broke a 9-year-old NFL record by catching 21 passes in a stirring comeback attempt against the Indianapolis Colts.

Whether he returns to threaten all of Rod Smith's franchise receiving records or winds up elsewhere through myriad uncertain options that await the upcoming NFL offseason, Marshall figures to become extremely wealthy, even by professional athlete standards.

Wealthy, as in possibly Broncos the NFL's highest-paid receiver. Larry Fitzgerald holds that distinction with a four-year, $40 million contract extension he received from the Arizona Cardinals in March 2008.

To retain Marshall, the Broncos may have to start with Fitzgerald's deal and tack on a couple of years of inflation.

"We've always felt Brandon was in a class by himself," said Kennard McGuire, Marshall's agent. "Now, it's become evident he's one of the greats. He has the passion to do that. At this time, Brandon is clearly focused on finishing the season with no distractions. At the appropriate time, he and I will sit down and discuss what the future holds."

For all the issues that have followed Marshall almost since the day the Broncos selected him in the fourth round of the 2006 draft, he always has been driven by greatness. Thanks to his preposterous game against the Colts, Marshall is on pace for his third consecutive season of at least 100 catches and 1,200 yards. He has already set a career high with nine touchdown receptions, one off the league lead.

Considering he is finishing up the fourth year of his rookie contract that eventually paid him $3.7 million, an average of $925,000 per season, Marshall may have been
Broncos star Brandon Marshall, who set an NFL record Sunday with 21 receptions against the Colts, likely won't be grimacing when he signs his next contract. (Joe Amon, The Denver Post )
one of the NFL's top performers for the dollar.

The economical nature of his compensation is about to change. Depending on whether team owners and the players union can negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement in the next 2 1/2 months, Marshall can strike it big either through offer sheets that figure to arrive by way of restricted free agency or really big through the open bidding process of unrestricted free agency that will begin in March.

The Broncos could pre-empt such bargaining leverage by opening talks on a long-term contract with Marshall. But the receiver has his doubts.

"I think if they wanted to get something done, it would have been done already," Marshall said. "But our ultimate goal is to win games and we have three of them left. Hopefully we can get that done. Regarding a contract, I think it's best if I just play it out."

Marshall well knows Fitzgerald has been widely proclaimed as the NFL's best receiver this year not because of any stats he compiled during the regular season, but his record-setting performance during the 2008 postseason.

If the playoffs are to include Marshall for the first time in his career, the Broncos (8-5) likely need to win two of their next three games, with the next one to be played Sunday against the Oakland Raiders at Invesco Field at Mile High.

Because Marshall is just one of five key Denver players who are in the final weeks of expiring contracts the others are quarterback Kyle Orton, pass-rushing linebacker Elvis Dumervil, right guard Chris Kuper and tight end Tony Scheffler the team will have a difficult time figuring out how to allocate the millions of dollars needed to bring them all back.

"I'm not going to talk about contracts," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "We know we've got a lot of work to do after the season's over with, and there's a lot of things going on that affect that."

Until then, the Broncos might as well get all they can from the Big Five while they're still affordable. With 21 catches, Marshall just gave the Broncos more in one game than any receiver ever gave his team. Not that, one way or another, the team won't eventually pay for it.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/br...#ixzz0ZtigKbLs
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Too bad we didn't sign him 2 weeks ago, could have saved millions. EITHER WAY, PAY THE MAN.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Denver724
Ring of Famer

I think their demands (he and his agent) are going to be ridiculous, outrageous and something the Broncos will not do. I can just tell by the agents tone. Maybe they are starting out high and will settle for something less, but I doubt it. I can see him being tagged and the Broncos trading him for a 1st and a 3rd (or something like that).
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
I think their demands (he and his agent) are going to be ridiculous, outrageous and something the Broncos will not do. I can just tell by the agents tone. .
I'm afraid that's the case. At the risk of getting flamed, I DO think he deserves a top 10 WR payday. He's a top 10 WR. But, I think they want to set the bar.
I just have that feeling.

We'll see. Brandon is at least answering the questions correctly. We'll see how it goes.

A lot can happen between now and the end of the season.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Pay him. Pay him. Pay him. Pay him. Pay him.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
I think their demands (he and his agent) are going to be ridiculous, outrageous and something the Broncos will not do. I can just tell by the agents tone. Maybe they are starting out high and will settle for something less, but I doubt it. I can see him being tagged and the Broncos trading him for a 1st and a 3rd (or something like that).
Then again, teams won't be that eager to sign him and will want see if his off the field issues and behavior are truly in the past before they offer 1st and 3rd for him. And as a result, BMarsh gets the one year RFA pay out and plays another year in Denver.

In 2011 should Brandon have a great year and he is a model citizen off the field, teams will be lining up at the door at the door to include offering up a 1st and 3rd to lock up BMarsh. One extra year will allow Bowlen one more year to come to terms with breaking the bank to pay Marshall or lose him to another team.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Brandon has only himself to thank for his position. It's great that he finally seems to have his **** together -- too bad it had to come down to the very last chance. The FO has a great deal of leverage, and they would be crazy not to use it. Assuming an uncapped year, they get to see what the market will bear with the option to match it. If the deal is too rich, we get a first and third. Sounds good to me. The pay the man now crowd needs to wake up and get real. Provided Brandon can stay out of trouble, he'll be a rich man next year. History isn't on his side... and I'm not holding my breath.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Pay him. Pay him. Pay him. Pay him. Pay him.
Easy for you to say.... put on your GM and team owner hat and tell us how much and how long. Do not forget to consider free agency needs and who else on the team (insert Elvis here) contracts also need to be addressed.

I for one see either a low ball offer or cutting loose scheffler, he has been deemed usless in McDaniels system.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

He's about to get PAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDD
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

This is why I couldn't pull the trigger on buying a #15 throwback jersey.

I hope we keep him, but I have my doubts. I hope they at least get some good draft picks if they let him go...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #11
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Well it has been a whole 3 months since his last episode of dip**** behavior. Pay him!
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

If he goes anywhere, We are getting a #1 at the minimum.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #13
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Wooohooo, It is beer-thirty in Mockville
Old 12-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #14
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Jared Allen's trade to the Vikes is a pretty reasonable comparison to make.

The Vikes gave up a high 1st and two 3s (Albert, Charles and Morgan) to get Allen when he was franchised by the Chiefs. It seemed like a huge haul for the Chiefs at the time...and a big risk for the Vikes in making him the highest paid DE. Not so much anymore.

Players like Allen and Marshall just don't come along every day. A HOF potential player in the hand is worth much, much more than a few low # draft picks.

I think he is worth 10M\year.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #15
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

If we had paid Marshall sooner, I guarantee he would be wanting out of his contract now anyway. So I don't see the big game as an issue.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:18 PM   #16
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

If you had to choose:

DOOM or Bmarsh?

It would suck to lose either.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #17
steeledude
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't know Doggcow. I think this was a huge mistake by McD and Bowlen to ignore Marshall's request. It's like everyone is floored "oh, Marshall IS a good player." Um...yeah, he's been exceptional for two years, now on his third. In fact he is breaking records and turning games around for an anemic offense.

McD and Bowlen thought Marshall's production wouldn't be so high this year. Orton can't get the ball around like Cutler can. Anything less than a hundred catches would be considered a reduction. They were gambling on paying him less and driving his value down.

Now Marshall has once again proven his value, and on top of that, proven to be a game changer which he might not have always been.

He won't be in Denver for long. He's been treated poorly, they low balled him, suspended him, pushed him to the edge, and once he can sail into the sunset he will. Why would anyone want to work for people who treated him the way they did. Really the front office is establishing a nice little pattern of pushing around the young pro bowl offensive talent.
steeledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:29 PM   #18
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina View Post
If you had to choose:

DOOM or Bmarsh?

Why can't we sign both.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #19
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina View Post
If you had to choose:

DOOM or Bmarsh?

bmarsh comes out when we need him most and absolutely dominates the top competition. doom is great and a real asset, but does not do this as frequently as bmarsh. a weak pass rush can be disguised by blitz, a real playmaking WR who runs YAC like no one in the NFL cannot be replaced.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #20
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
This is why I couldn't pull the trigger on buying a #15 throwback jersey.

I hope we keep him, but I have my doubts. I hope they at least get some good draft picks if they let him go...
I hate the gamble on unproven draft picks who could be NFL bust. BMarsh is already a proven quanity. Can we find another Brandon Marshall in the 4th round. The only he stays in Denver however is if Bowlen simply says he will make Brandon a top 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 WR in the NFL.

I can see the Ravens or Saints paying a Kings ransom and forking over their draft picks. As for the Ravens......Falcco(sp) sure could use a WR of Marshall's talents. Brandon could just be the missing link to put the Ravens over the top.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #21
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
I hate the gamble on unproven draft picks who could be NFL bust. BMarsh is already a proven quanity. Can we find another Brandon Marshall in the 4th round. The only he stays in Denver however is if Bowlen simply says he will make Brandon a top 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 WR in the NFL.

I can see the Ravens or Saints paying a Kings ransom and forking over their draft picks. As for the Ravens......Falcco(sp) sure could use a WR of Marshall's talents. Brandon could just be the missing link to put the Ravens over the top.
the saints have colston, ravens dont trade draft picks often, if ever.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #22
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Easy for you to say.... put on your GM and team owner hat and tell us how much and how long. Do not forget to consider free agency needs and who else on the team (insert Elvis here) contracts also need to be addressed.

I for one see either a low ball offer or cutting loose scheffler, he has been deemed usless in McDaniels system.
I cut scheff loose. I pay brandon. And i need to get champ to take a paycut...14 mil, too much
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #23
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I cut scheff loose. I pay brandon. And i need to get champ to take a paycut...14 mil, too much
dont just cut him, but cant pay him top tier money...
Old 12-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #24
CoopDawg
Seasoned Veteran

McCaffrey

Give him the Fitzgerald money, 4 years $40 million.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #25
ton80
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeledude View Post
I don't know Doggcow. I think this was a huge mistake by McD and Bowlen to ignore Marshall's request. It's like everyone is floored "oh, Marshall IS a good player." Um...yeah, he's been exceptional for two years, now on his third. In fact he is breaking records and turning games around for an anemic offense.

McD and Bowlen thought Marshall's production wouldn't be so high this year. Orton can't get the ball around like Cutler can. Anything less than a hundred catches would be considered a reduction. They were gambling on paying him less and driving his value down.

Now Marshall has once again proven his value, and on top of that, proven to be a game changer which he might not have always been.

He won't be in Denver for long. He's been treated poorly, they low balled him, suspended him, pushed him to the edge, and once he can sail into the sunset he will. Why would anyone want to work for people who treated him the way they did. Really the front office is establishing a nice little pattern of pushing around the young pro bowl offensive talent.
Great post. Couldn't agree more.

The Broncos have obviously treated Brandon poorly. They paid him the contract that he signed. They didn't renegotiate his contract when he was behaving like a horse's a$$ in training camp. Brandon has only appeared in court, what, 3 or 4 times since being a Bronco. What's the big deal here. The league has only had to suspend him once. Heck, for that matter, the team has only had to suspend him once too.

I just don't get it. The Broncos organization is obviously bunch of ungrateful pink pony riders and a bunch of tight-a$$es with their pocket book.
ton80 is offline   Reply With Quote