The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default Why is NFL.com saying that SD clinches this weekend with a win?

Can't Denver still with the AFC West....EVEN if SD beats Cincy this weekend??

If SD beats Cincy, but loses their final 2, they would be 11-5.....if we win out we would be 11-5......DOESN'T DENVER WIN THAT TIEBREAKER?

1. Head-to-head tied at 1-1
2. Division record would be tied at 5-1
3. Record vs. common opponent would be tied at 9-3 (or 10-4 if you count head to head)
4. Conference record would be tied at 8-4
5. STRENGTH OF VICTORY....Denver's margin of victory in their 8 wins so far has been 14.8 ppg.....in SD's 10 wins their margin of victory has been 12.9 ppg......so while this isn't final.....DENVER COULD WIN ON THIS TIEBREAKER right?

I don't understand why they are saying SD clinches our division this weekend with a win over Cincy.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

you sure they arent saying san diego clinches a PLAYOFF spot, not necessarily the division?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
you sure they arent saying san diego clinches a PLAYOFF spot, not necessarily the division?
No...they are saying the clinch the DIVISION with a win (OR a Denver loss) this weekend. I'm usually pretty good with keeping things straight with clinching scenarios....so this confuses the crap out of me. I just can't figure out what I could be missing here.

Run your mouse over the San Diego icon, and click the "read more" tab.....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true
Old 12-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

well, because if we lose this weekend we will lose the divisional tiebreaker (loss to Oakland)
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I haven't done the math, but maybe it's possible that they clinch at least a wild card with a win this weekend.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
No...they are saying the clinch the DIVISION with a win (OR a Denver loss) this weekend. I'm usually pretty good with keeping things straight with clinching scenarios....so this confuses the crap out of me. I just can't figure out what I could be missing here.

Run your mouse over the San Diego icon, and click the "read more" tab.....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true
if they win this week and lose the next two but we win out, we take the division. they are wrong.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If we beat Oakland, SD can't clinch the division this weekend.

If we lose, however, they wrap up the division even if they lose to the Bengals.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
if they win this week and lose the next two but we win out, we take the division. they are wrong.
Thanks. That's what I thought. Usually the sites have this stuff right....I'm surprised.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post
If we beat Oakland, SD can't clinch the division this weekend.

If we lose, however, they wrap up the division even if they lose to the Bengals.
Right, that's what I'm saying.....but NFL.com is saying that San Diego cliches the AFC West with a win this weekend.....regardless of what else happens. I don't think this is correct.

They can clinch the West with a Denver loss (cause they would then have a better division record)....but they can't clinch with a win over Cincy ALONE. The ONLY way San Diego could clinch the West this weekend is with a Denver loss.

Last edited by 55CrushEm; 12-16-2009 at 01:17 PM..
Old 12-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

West coast bias.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Right, that's what I'm saying.....but NFL.com is saying that San Diego cliches the AFC West with a win this weekend.....regardless of what else happens. I don't think this is correct.
They're just wrong, it happens.

I wouldn't worry about it.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan-Goblin View Post
West coast bias.
Rocky Mountain region falls into "West Coast bias" too.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #13
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Can't Denver still with the AFC West....EVEN if SD beats Cincy this weekend??

If SD beats Cincy, but loses their final 2, they would be 11-5.....if we win out we would be 11-5......DOESN'T DENVER WIN THAT TIEBREAKER?

1. Head-to-head tied at 1-1
2. Division record would be tied at 5-1
3. Record vs. common opponent would be tied at 9-3 (or 10-4 if you count head to head)
4. Conference record would be tied at 8-4
5. STRENGTH OF VICTORY....Denver's margin of victory in their 8 wins so far has been 14.8 ppg.....in SD's 10 wins their margin of victory has been 12.9 ppg......so while this isn't final.....DENVER COULD WIN ON THIS TIEBREAKER right?

I don't understand why they are saying SD clinches our division this weekend with a win over Cincy.
Apparently this doesn't matter, but strength of victory has nothing to do with points, it's the winning percentage of the teams you've beaten.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by misturanderson View Post
Apparently this doesn't matter, but strength of victory has nothing to do with points, it's the winning percentage of the teams you've beaten.
If that is the case.....and we both finish 11-5 as I described in the original post....then SD and Denver would have victories over the exact same teams.....EXCEPT for one of our wins would be over New England, and one of theirs would be over Miami......with New England having the better record, that would give us this tiebreaker.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #15
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
If that is the case.....and we both finish 11-5 as I described in the original post....then SD and Denver would have victories over the exact same teams.....EXCEPT for one of our wins would be over New England, and one of theirs would be over Miami......with New England having the better record, that would give us this tiebreaker.
For now New England does but there is three weeks left. I would be happy with a Wildcard after a 4 game losing streak. If we lose this week it will get interesting even making playoffs.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #16
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

It's actually the first thing they go over on the video on that page - the graphic is wrong.
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #17
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Never mind
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #18
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

Here.
Quote:
Wednesday, December 16, 2009

There remain numerous postseason possibilities involving the Chargers, including a few seemingly remote possibilities in which they miss the playoffs and some not-so-remote ways in which Denver wins the AFC West.

The bottom line is that the Chargers are one victory from making the playoffs.

That victory could come in any of their remaining three games, because it would be the Chargers’ 11th victory and not enough of the potential wild card teams can get to 11-5.

In fact, the only AFC teams that can get to 11-5 and not be assured of winning their division are the Chargers and Denver Broncos.

If both of them finish 11-5, meaning Denver swept its final three games while the Chargers won once, both teams would be in the playoffs. Which one was the AFC West champion would depend on who the Chargers beat for their 11th victory.

If the only team the Chargers beat was Tennessee, Denver would win the West based on the Broncos having a better record in common games.

If the Chargers beat only Washington, the Broncos win the West based on having a better record against conference opponents. If the Chargers beat only Cincinnati, the strength of victory tiebreaker would be required and the resolution of that would depend on how Miami and New England finish, because that would be the only uncommon team the Chargers and Broncos beat. Right now, that would favor the Broncos, since the Patriots are 8-5 and the Dolphins 7-6. (If New England and Miami finish tied, the strength of schedule tiebreaker would go to Denver because it played the Indianapolis Colts.)

If both Denver and San Diego finish 10-6, the only way the Chargers win the West is if Kansas City or Oakland is the team that beat the Broncos. If the Broncos’ loss is to Philadelphia, the Broncos would win the West based on having a better conference record.

The Chargers could finish 10-6 and still make the playoffs, but it is more likely they don’t.

If the Jets were the 10-6 team the Chargers were fighting for a Wild Card spot, the Jets would have the tiebreaker based on a better record against common opponents.

If the Ravens were the 10-6 team the Chargers were fighting for a Wild Card spot, the Ravens have the advantage based on beating the Chargers in September.

The Chargers would have the head-to-head advantage over Miami.

But if multiple teams finish 10-6 -- there remain eight teams that can – the tiebreakers get complicated. The possibilities are almost too numerous to mention at this point, because how the tiebreakers are applied depends on whether two or more teams are tied, and how those tiebreakers stack up will depend on which games teams win and lose over the next three weeks.

But there are some interesting things to consider:

• The Chargers’ 7-5 conference record if they were 10-6 does not bode well for them. In the event Baltimore, Miami and Jacksonville finish 10-6, they would all have better records against AFC teams.

• If Jacksonville is able to beat Indianapolis, New England and Cleveland to finish 10-6, it would have a 9-3 conference record.

• Miami, New England and the New York Jets could all finish 10-6 in the AFC East. In that event, Miami would win the East and New England would be second.

-- KEVIN ACEE
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote